ADVERTISEMENT

Pinstripe Bowl Cancelled

No. This bowl should end

Outside the top 4 bowls, this bowl is as good as any other, especially if we can play a syracuse, boston college, or similar. Weather wise, only the cheez it bowl is a warmer alternative.
  • Rose Bowl Game presented by Northwestern Mutual (Pasadena, Calif.)
  • Capital One Orange Bowl (Miami)
  • Citrus Bowl (Orlando, Fla.)
  • Outback Bowl (Tampa, Fla.)
  • Las Vegas Bowl (Las Vegas)
  • Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl (Nashville, Tenn.)
  • New Era Pinstripe Bowl (Bronx, N.Y.)
  • Belk Bowl (Charlotte, N.C.)
  • Cheez-It Bowl (Phoenix)
  • Redbox Bowl (Santa Clara, Calif.)
  • Quick Lane Bowl (Detroit, Mich.)

I understand the hate of Yankee Stadium as a venue for a football game, as it sucks (which is why it was disappointing to not see the West Side stadium ever built), but I never understood the hate for the Pinstripe Bowl, in general. I'd take an @AreYouNUTS party in Manhattan and not having to go to Birmingham or Houston ever again (and saving a ton of $$) any day, although I did like the nicer destinations for bowls, like Scottsdale, Orlando and Toronto (I don't mind the cold at all).

Reactions: NotInRHouse
the fallacy of your argument is that if the bowl dies we will end up somewhere better. 1. the only way Rutgers is guaranteed a good bowl is to win the conference.

Just remember the last time we went bowling, it was to Detroit. 2. Bowls get to choose who they want, and Rutgers will always be last or close to last because we don’t have as strong a reputation for traveling as most of the other Big Ten Schools with a few exceptions. The San Francisco bowl chose a Maryland team, whose fans don’t travel, over us. We need the pinstripe bowl to survive and thrive. It sure beats traveling hundreds to thousands of miles away to a crappy destination. Hang out in Manhattan pregame, then take the D train to Yankee Stadium. Sit up stairs on the third base side and the sight lines are good enough. 3. There sure are worse bowling destinations.
1. Not true at all
2. Also not true because of the rotation rules of the B1G
3. Need to look at the B1G line to see if that’s wrong as well.

Last edited:
For me it’s not the cheering of the cancellation. It’s the venue itself. It has to be the single worst venue to watch and play a football game. Yankee Stadium was not built to watch or play a football game. Watching a game there in most seats is a terrible experience. Playing there looks almost as unsafe as that stadium down at SMU.

Westside stadium or having a dome at Meadowlands would have been a homerun for a NYD bowl game; and for the record I would rather go to the Bronx than Boise to watch a sporting event.

GO RU
It’s not the worst venue, not by a long shot. I go to the cactus/Cheetos/ whatever it’s called now every year. It’s at Chase field. Even more awful sight lines than Yankee stadium and I have a blast every year.

Wasn't to long ago when we’re almost shut out of a bowl game even though only had two losses.
To have a bowl in NY City has been great for us.
I know it’s a baseball stadium, but the Pinstripe is still a great opportunity for our fans to see our team in a bowl that they might otherwise afford to travel to.
My opinion that bowl was created with us in mind. We always stake claim to being New York Cities Team, but look down at their bowl game.
I hope the Pinstripe is around for a long time.
Pre-B1G. Will NEVER happen again.

And it doesn’t even offer a “bowl-type experience” IMO. Just a game close by. More similar to a neutral site game than anything else.

Last edited:
It’s not the worst venue, not by a long shot. I go to the cactus/Cheetos/ whatever it’s called now every year. It’s at Chase field. Even more awful sight lines than Yankee stadium and I have a blast every year.
I was at the Insight and the Pinstripe (both games) and disagree.

And you have a blast because you’re in Scottsdale in December. So would I and did for the Insight.

Reactions: Plum Street
I was at the Insight and the Pinstripe (both games) and disagree.

And you have a blast because you’re in Scottsdale in December. So would I and did for the Insight.
Baseball field is a baseball field. Plus only 1 good bar that is too packed. Luckily, manager was from Jersey so he saves me a table. Plus no good mass transit. Getting out of there is a disaster. And Yet, it sucks that I can’t go this year.

Reactions: rutgersal
Baseball field is a baseball field. Plus only 1 good bar that is too packed. Luckily, manager was from Jersey so he saves me a table. Plus no good mass transit. Getting out of there is a disaster. And Yet, it sucks that I can’t go this year.
I would still rather be in Scottsdale (where you’re probably staying anyway 😉) than the Bronx in December every time.

And I sat in the Delta Club for the first Pinstripe.

Mass transit? Come on, man. Really? LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: Plum Street
Wrong. In Chase Field the football field goes down the 3rd base line so the stands are relatively flat to the sideline. In Yankee Stadium the field goes from home plate to centerfield, thus the seats at the 50 yard line are about 50 yards from the sideline because they are at the corners of the square

Reactions: satnom
Outside the top 4 bowls, this bowl is as good as any other, especially if we can play a syracuse, boston college, or similar. Weather wise, only the cheez it bowl is a warmer alternative.
  • Rose Bowl Game presented by Northwestern Mutual (Pasadena, Calif.)
  • Capital One Orange Bowl (Miami)
  • Citrus Bowl (Orlando, Fla.)
  • Outback Bowl (Tampa, Fla.)
  • Las Vegas Bowl (Las Vegas)
  • Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl (Nashville, Tenn.)
  • New Era Pinstripe Bowl (Bronx, N.Y.)
  • Belk Bowl (Charlotte, N.C.)
  • Cheez-It Bowl (Phoenix)
  • Redbox Bowl (Santa Clara, Calif.)
  • Quick Lane Bowl (Detroit, Mich.)
Outside of of the Quick Lane (because of the destination) everyone of B1G Bowl games are better overall than the Pinstripe. And even the Quick Lane might be a push because of the dome factor.

I don’t factor in the money/purse because that’s not what we’re talking about here.

Pre-B1G. Will NEVER happen again.

And it doesn’t even offer a “bowl-type experience” IMO. Just a game close by. More similar to a neutral site game than anything else.
I agree 100% being in the BIG the tie ins are there.
It’s still a viable option for a 500 season.

I agree 100% being in the BIG the tie ins are there.
It’s still a viable option for a 500 season.
There are better options on the B1G list than just the Pinstripe.

But if it’s a situation where it’s Pinstripe vs. no Bowl you take it every time while saying “we are glad and proud to represent the B1G Conference at this game” during the press conference. 😊

Don’t worry, yours is still on the calendar.😉

If what I said earlier would have happened, sure bad luck. We we all be in mourning.

But have to agree with @West Point Knight here. The Bronx, like Boise is not a great destination for a bowl game.

I'm not going to defend the Bronx, but Boise is a nice destination in Dec. And tie-ins with MAC and MW means it attracts mostly hardier folk. Also, like the fun old-school name.

I predict we will play in the Pinstripe Bowl a minimum of 4 times during the second reign of Greg Schiano.

Wasn't to long ago when we’re almost shut out of a bowl game even though only had two losses.
To have a bowl in NY City has been great for us.
I know it’s a baseball stadium, but the Pinstripe is still a great opportunity for our fans to see our team in a bowl that they might otherwise afford to travel to.
My opinion that bowl was created with us in mind. We always stake claim to being New York Cities Team, but look down at their bowl game.
I hope the Pinstripe is around for a long time.

One guy gets it. Was only a couple weeks ago when the (overly optimistic) board was loving the idea of a potential Pinstripe bid.

One guy gets it. Was only a couple weeks ago when the (overly optimistic) board was loving the idea of a potential Pinstripe bid.
Nah.

There is no way we get left out with a winning record. This isn’t the Big East or AAC days anymore.

Reactions: 50 yd line RR
I'm not going to defend the Bronx, but Boise is a nice destination in Dec. And tie-ins with MAC and MW means it attracts mostly hardier folk. Also, like the fun old-school name.
What does that mean?

Nah.

There is no way we get left out with a winning record. This isn’t the Big East or AAC days anymore.

?

There definitely is a way this year, which is the one we're talking about.

?

There definitely is a way this year, which is the one we're talking about.
But it won’t because of our record,
good or bad.

Could we get left out because of “Rutgers”, sure.

In a regular season with a winning record would not have to worry. Might not be the game/place we want. But we wouldn’t be left out...which is what I was responding to, the part about having two losses.

Last edited:
They made this decision "out of an abundance of caution", yeah, sure. It was more like: "We're gonna lose our shirts on this!"

Reactions: WhiteBus
Nah.

People always keep pushing this myth. Rutgers never got screwed out of their slotted bowl game by the BE or AAC. We always were selected exactly by the numbers.

People always keep pushing this myth. Rutgers never got screwed out of their slotted bowl game by the BE or AAC. We always were selected exactly by the numbers.
I wasn’t pushing it. The comment I responded to was about being left out entirely with just two losses.

People forget #1

But with it being in NYC and NY State even if wasn’t cancelled, available and we got “selected” I bet we all would have been watching it on TV instead of in person.
I had no doubt that if it was played it would be played without fans.How many teams would bring more fans to the TV sets than we would? (Solid hard nose football just trying to eek out a win.)We sure could use the xtra practice time a bowl would provide.

1) Records do count (I'm not talking about eligibility)
2) Do the Math
We are playing an all BIG schedule. Fact of the matter, if we played our out of conference schedule we would probably be 4-4 right now.
In a bowl setting against an opponent I’m very confident we would be a worthy opponent.

But it won’t because of our record,
good or bad.

Could we get left out because of “Rutgers”, sure.

In a regular season with a winning record would not have to worry. Might not be the game/place we want. But we wouldn’t be left out...which is what I was responding to, the part about having two losses.
e5 last one for me. (The games on) . This bowl is not only viable for Rutgers but the whole conference. Why else would the BIG sign on for it
A lot of alums in the area. A nice reason to get to the city around the holiday. That all might change now.I think the marketing guys had the right idea when they pitched it though.

We are playing an all BIG schedule. Fact of the matter, if we played our out of conference schedule we would probably be 4-4 right now.
In a bowl setting against an opponent I’m very confident we would be a worthy opponent.
You are arguing my point. However the facts are we are just playing the Big Ten and our chance at a bowl game is our standings in the Big Ten by our total record, division record and head to head. Add in losing the Pinstripe there is one less spot. A loss to Purdue makes it much harder and a loss the Penn State makes it nearly impossible.

You are arguing my point. However the facts are we are just playing the Big Ten and our chance at a bowl game is our standings in the Big Ten by our total record, division record and head to head. Add in losing the Pinstripe there is one less spot. A loss to Purdue makes it much harder and a loss the Penn State makes it nearly impossible.
The B1G will never lose a spot...if the pinstripe never comes back the conference will gain some other slot...this isn’t the Mac or MWC...

Reactions: wheezer
I know exactly what your saying, I find it amazing
even at 1-4 our season is still ahead of us. Purdue, a winless Penn St.,Maryland, and a crossover game. We have 10 bowl slots( including the playoffs). We beat Michigan St. head to head. Throw in the COVID wild card. Who knows where
we land? Then again the Pinstripe won’t be the last bowl to opt out. In this crazy year it would be great if they let all the teams get xtra practice time bowl or no bowl.

I know exactly what your saying, I find it amazing
even at 1-4 our season is still ahead of us. Purdue, a winless Penn St.,Maryland, and a crossover game. We have 10 bowl slots( including the playoffs). We beat Michigan St. head to head. Throw in the COVID wild card. Who knows where
we land? Then again the Pinstripe won’t be the last bowl to opt out. In this crazy year it would be great if they let all the teams get xtra practice time bowl or no bowl.
10? Without the Pinstripe I believe it's now 9. Since every team is eligible isn't every team allowed to practice, especially with cancellations?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT