ADVERTISEMENT

Pinstripe Bowl Cancelled

They just lost a spot. What are you talking about?
One that a conference as highly valued as the B1G can get back...and if it doesn’t, then oh well...there are too many! The pinstripe folding for good is quite possible...unless it is ND, attendance at that event sucks...it is the Bronx in December...as unappealing as East St Louis or Detroit.

One that a conference as highly valued as the B1G can get back...and if it doesn’t, then oh well...there are too many! The pinstripe folding for good is quite possible...unless it is ND, attendance at that event sucks...it is the Bronx in December...as unappealing as East St Louis or Detroit.
I'm just talking about this season. Don't see anyone breaking a conference Bowl tie in to add a bottom ranked Big Ten team

10? Without the Pinstripe I believe it's now 9. Since every team is eligible isn't every team allowed to practice, especially with cancellations?
I count 9 plus the playoffs. I think OSU should get in. Still a lot of football to play. I don’t know about extended practice time for all teams.

I count 9 plus the playoffs. I think OSU should get in. Still a lot of football to play. I don’t know about extended practice time for all teams.
If you are counting the Orange Bowl as one of them this year there is no tie in for the Big Ten in 2020-2021.

e5 last one for me. (The games on) . This bowl is not only viable for Rutgers but the whole conference. Why else would the BIG sign on for it?
A lot of alums in the area. A nice reason to get to the city around the holiday. That all might change now.I think the marketing guys had the right idea when they pitched it though.
$$$$

For what is really is, it pays pretty well.

And of course the marketing people would play the “City” and Yankee Stadium” angle. Quotes intentional because neither are true. LOL But The hayseed flyover folks can get fooled...once. 😎

As I said earlier if it’s the case of Pinstripe or no bowl, you go every time.

Reactions: 50 yd line RR
the fallacy of your argument is that if the bowl dies we will end up somewhere better. the only way Rutgers is guaranteed a good bowl is to win the conference.

Just remember the last time we went bowling, it was to Detroit. Bowls get to choose who they want, and Rutgers will always be last or close to last because we don’t have as strong a reputation for traveling as most of the other Big Ten Schools with a few exceptions. The San Francisco bowl chose a Maryland team, whose fans don’t travel, over us. We need the pinstripe bowl to survive and thrive. It sure beats traveling hundreds to thousands of miles away to a crappy destination. Hang out in Manhattan pregame, then take the D train to Yankee Stadium. Sit up stairs on the third base side and the sight lines are good enough. There sure are worse bowling destinations.
I remember the get together at that bar near the Garden for the PB. Was great

$$$$

For what is really is, it pays pretty well.

And of course the marketing people would play the “City” and Yankee Stadium” angle. Quotes intentional because neither are true. LOL But The hayseed flyover folks can get fooled...once. 😎

As I said earlier if it’s the case of Pinstripe or no bowl, you go every time.

On the subway with the Iowa St. crowd. They were having a great in the City

1. Not true at all
2. Also not true because of the rotation rules of the B1G
3. Need to look at the B1G line to see if that’s wrong as well.

it is true because OSU, PSU, Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Nebraska all travel better than Rutgers. There are plenty of B1G teams that would be chosen over Rutgers. Outside the FL bowls and Scottsdale, the pinstripe is as good as it gets for us.

it is true because OSU, PSU, Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Nebraska all travel better than Rutgers. There are plenty of B1G teams that would be chosen over Rutgers. Outside the FL bowls and Scottsdale, the pinstripe is as good as it gets for us.
False. All teams are chosen strictly off their slot in the Big Ten Standings. The only time there is a switch would be if a team was at the same bowl last year. Then it is between the team's near them in the standings with the least visits to that venue. Rutgers or any other team will never get stuck going repeatedly to the Pinstripe.
We have many on here to this day that still believes that Rutgers got screwed every year by the Big East with their bowl selections. Rutgers and every team in the Big East went exactly to the bowl they were slotted for.

So fans won be able to get gouged for tolls, parking, food, tickets, beer and get mugged and have their cars broken into?

That’s terrible.

Purdue - PSU - Nebraska (L UMD)

4-5 record I would absolutely say puts RU in a bowl game with the B1G having 9 tie ins now. 3-6 probably won’t cut it. Why today’s game is massive

My basis being, you would be hard pressed to find me a year where a Big Ten team won 4 games in conference, and didn’t go to a bowl. In non-covid year we would be 7-5 with that record. Mathematically there will be less teams with winning records this year in the P5 so there will be teams 1 game or even 2 games under .500 who go to bowls

Purdue - PSU - Nebraska (L UMD)

4-5 record I would absolutely say puts RU in a bowl game with the B1G having 9 tie ins now. 3-6 probably won’t cut it. Why today’s game is massive

My basis being, you would be hard pressed to find me a year where a Big Ten team won 4 games in conference, and didn’t go to a bowl. In non-covid year we would be 7-5 with that record. Mathematically there will be less teams with winning records this year in the P5 so there will be teams 1 game or even 2 games under .500 who go to bowls
It is a huge game. Besides a W it will be just the 2nd team where we own the tiebreaker. Rutgers needs more of them. PSU is a must win. Without those first 2 things it will be near impossible.

False. All teams are chosen strictly off their slot in the Big Ten Standings. The only time there is a switch would be if a team was at the same bowl last year. Then it is between the team's near them in the standings with the least visits to that venue. Rutgers or any other team will never get stuck going repeatedly to the Pinstripe.
We have many on here to this day that still believes that Rutgers got screwed every year by the Big East with their bowl selections. Rutgers and every team in the Big East went exactly to the bowl they were slotted for.

nonsense. Rutgers beat Maryland in 2014, yet the San Francisco bowl chose Maryland over us, which is why we ended up in Detroit. There is no relationship between standings and bowl selection, which is why Bowls will always choose the 6 aforementioned schools before they choose Rutgers.

nonsense. Rutgers beat Maryland in 2014, yet the San Francisco bowl chose Maryland over us, which is why we ended up in Detroit. There is no relationship between standings and bowl selection, which is why Bowls will always choose the 6 aforementioned schools before they choose Rutgers.
The whole bowl structure is based on standings within a conference. Bowls are signing specific contracts for a selected slot. Maryland went to SF because they were 4-4 and 3rd in the Big Ten East. Rutgers was 3-5 and 4th.

Reactions: ScarletDave
Well I’ll explain it again...

Rotation rules of the B1G bowl tie-ins prevent that.

If we do our part we get to go where we would like to go to at some point. And doing our part is not 6-6 or 7-5. 8-4 and better gets us in the mix.

So it’s up to the staff and the players to do their part on the field so when WE get our chance we can show we’ll show up in stands of the host city and in their tax coffers.

win and it doesn’t happen. WIN or WIN and it will.

The whole bowl structure is based on standings within a conference. Bowls are signing specific contracts for a selected slot. Maryland went to SF because they were 4-4 and 3rd in the Big Ten East. Rutgers was 3-5 and 4th.

the Foster Bowl In San Francisco could have chosen Rutgers, had they desired to. The bowls choose based on teams fitting within specific tiers, consisting of multiple teams, subject to restrictions.

this is the most up to date explanation I could find with how big ten bowl selection works:

Well I’ll explain it again...

Rotation rules of the B1G bowl tie-ins prevent that.

If we do our part we get to go where we would like to go to at some point. And doing our part is not 6-6 or 7-5. 8-4 and better gets us in the mix.

So it’s up to the staff and the players to do their part on the field so when WE get our chance we can show we’ll show up in stands of the host city and in their tax coffers.

win and it doesn’t happen. WIN or WIN and it will.

rotation rules prevent a team being select repeatedly, but they don’t prevent Rutgers from getting screwed at bowl selection time. Unless we win the conference, there is always the risk of being sent to a bowl that doesn’t reflect our accomplishment.

rotation rules prevent a team being select repeatedly, but they don’t prevent Rutgers from getting screwed at bowl selection time. Unless we win the conference, there is always the risk of being sent to a bowl that doesn’t reflect our accomplishment.
Nah.

9-3 gets us in a pretty good conversation.

8-4, shaky...until we can prove to B1G and the destinations we’ll show up and spend $$$.

7-5 or 6-6. You get what you deserve.

the Foster Bowl In San Francisco could have chosen Rutgers, had they desired to. The bowls choose based on teams fitting within specific tiers, consisting of multiple teams, subject to restrictions.

this is the most up to date explanation I could find with how big ten bowl selection works:

Could have? Rutgers got the bowl they were slotted for. You have zero complaint here. Maryland was higher ranked in the conference and got the better bowl plain and simple. Rutgers never got screwed out of a bowl they deserved. Not once in 3 different conferences.

With the way things are going, this is sad if only because if we're going to be stuck at home I would rather have more football to watch, not less.

With the way things are going, this is sad if only because if we're going to be stuck at home I would rather have more football to watch, not less.
It’s a one time thing.

Not a fan of the idea, game or location but it is a B1G bowl that pays.

It will be back, at least until the contract is up.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
It’s a one time thing.

Not a fan of the idea, game or location but it is a B1G bowl that pays.

It will be back, at least until the contract is up.
The Yankees canceling this year is not an indication of future survival. From all we have heard, the bowl from a financial standpoint, has been a success. The contract with the Big Ten ends after next year's game.

The Yankees canceling this year is not an indication of future survival. From all we have heard, the bowl from a financial standpoint, has been a success. The contract with the Big Ten ends after next year's game.
That’s what I was talking about.

Let’s see what happens.

Reactions: WhiteBus
Could have? Rutgers got the bowl they were slotted for. You have zero complaint here. Maryland was higher ranked in the conference and got the better bowl plain and simple. Rutgers never got screwed out of a bowl they deserved. Not once in 3 different conferences.

BS. Rutgers got big time screwed in 2014. Rutgers finished 7-5, 3-3 in conference, and went to Detroit. Maryland was 7-5, 3-3 in conference and got to go to San Francisco, despite losing to us. Iowa was 6-6, 3-3 in conference, and got to go to the Gator Bowl. Penn State was 6-6, 2-4 in conference and went to the Pinstripe Bowl. When we are bowl eligible, chances are we are going to get screwed.

al, we already know the Gator Bowl suffers from a terrible case of ABR. LOL

Nah.

9-3 gets us in a pretty good conversation.

8-4, shaky...until we can prove to B1G and the destinations we’ll show up and spend $$$.

7-5 or 6-6. You get what you deserve.

9-3 should get us into a pretty good bowl. But if we’re 9-3 and Wisconsin or Iowa is 9-3, they will always be selected over us, unless they’ve been in the bowl the previous year. Even so, that’s the rub, going 9-3, playing OSU, PSU, and UM is tough.

9-3 should get us into a pretty good bowl. But if we’re 9-3 and Wisconsin or Iowa is 9-3, they will always be selected over us, unless they’ve been in the bowl the previous year. Even so, that’s the rub, going 9-3, playing OSU, PSU, and UM is tough.
And that can happen.

But that’s the staff and the team’s job...to get there.

BS. Rutgers got big time screwed in 2014. Rutgers finished 7-5, 3-3 in conference, and went to Detroit. Maryland was 7-5, 3-3 in conference and got to go to San Francisco, despite losing to us. Iowa was 6-6, 3-3 in conference, and got to go to the Gator Bowl. Penn State was 6-6, 2-4 in conference and went to the Pinstripe Bowl. When we are bowl eligible, chances are we are going to get screwed.

Al read what you linked again! Maryland was 4-4 in the Big Ten in 2014! Not 3-3. Rutgers was 3-5.

Wrong. In Chase Field the football field goes down the 3rd base line so the stands are relatively flat to the sideline. In Yankee Stadium the field goes from home plate to centerfield, thus the seats at the 50 yard line are about 50 yards from the sideline because they are at the corners of the square
Yeah, the sight lines as great. That’s why they bring in temporary bleachers. Again, I go every year, have seats in most expensive area. View and angle sucks.

Yeah, the sight lines as great. That’s why they bring in temporary bleachers. Again, I go every year, have seats in most expensive area. View and angle sucks.
Because it’s a baseball stadium.

But having those temp seats in RF isn’t a bad idea.

That’s what I was talking about.

Let’s see what happens.

I would think with both RU and Maryland on the upswing the B1G will feel incentivized to keep a bowl in the Northeast. Just my $0.02. I just hope there are bowls next season and we can go!

I would think with both RU and Maryland on the upswing the B1G will feel incentivized to keep a bowl in the Northeast. Just my $0.02. I just hope there are bowls next season and we can go!
Not worried about the latter at all.

As to the former, eh. There is no “there” there as it pertains to this particular game. Other than the purse...does not move the needle on many levels.

Not worried about the latter at all.

As to the former, eh. There is no “there” there as it pertains to this particular game. Other than the purse...does not move the needle on many levels.

At this point, *any* bowl moves the needle for me. I will gladly take Pinstripe. But hopefully we're spoiled again and complain about it in a few years. Even winning 6-8 games in the B1G will get us some special bowls we've only dreamed of before.

ADVERTISEMENT