ADVERTISEMENT

Piscataway Township Schools cancels fall sports season

I teach in Piscataway, so I was watching the BOE meeting. It ran over 3 and a half hours, and they didn't vote on athletics (or really even hint that they'd vote) until the final 5 minutes of the meeting. One can only speculate as to why they'd do such a thing.

Bunch of babies. I was just out in Lebanon, TN and passed by a FB practice. I guess it was HS. They’re out there practicing in a torrential downpour . NJ is so soft

Reactions: socaldave
This one hits close to home for me as my son earned 4 varsity letters playing football for Piscataway. I know how much it meant to him - and by extension to all the kids in whatever activity they participate in. It’s particularly heartbreaking for the seniors as they can never get this year back. I’ve always felt high school football was the best deal you could get. Park close to the field (for free), pay a few bucks to get in, get your soda and dogs for just a couple of bucks more and sit on the 50 if you want . No TV time outs or commercial breaks, great atmosphere and kids that will play their hearts out. How can you beat that?

Joes, Bosco, Bergen C , SPP, DePaul, etc probably will poach the few that are good enough to make their 2 deep.
Those schools are being inundated with transfer requests. Lots from schools that haven’t cancelled yet. Parents see writing in the wall.

Bunch of babies. I was just out in Lebanon, TN and passed by a FB practice. I guess it was HS. They’re out there practicing in a torrential downpour . NJ is so soft
Parts of NJ. We are full go for high school sports and the NJSIAA has said we will play sports even if we go virtual. I think schools bailing on athletics prior to th September 14th date are juping the gun.

Reactions: RUaMoose and vkj91
Those schools are being inundated with transfer requests. Lots from schools that haven’t cancelled yet. Parents see writing in the wall.
And the njsiaa stupidly lifted the transfer and sit out rule. They thought it would help kids coming home from private schools but just the opposite is happening.

Reactions: vkj91
I teach in Piscataway, so I was watching the BOE meeting. It ran over 3 and a half hours, and they didn't vote on athletics (or really even hint that they'd vote) until the final 5 minutes of the meeting. One can only speculate as to why they'd do such a thing.

This. I reached out to all the fall coaches. They are both heartbroken and stunned.

Article coming this weekend.

Reactions: vkj91
And the njsiaa stupidly lifted the transfer and sit out rule. They thought it would help kids coming home from private schools but just the opposite is happening.
Talked to a coach today that said he’s turning away transfers because he doesn’t want to lose underclassmen. It’s like the transfer portal for HS.

Reactions: gef21

What school?

Talked to a coach today that said he’s turning away transfers because he doesn’t want to lose underclassmen. It’s like the transfer portal for HS.

I am staying far away from it. I am keeping an eye out for the preps coming in and trying to steal players thought.

Well, Piscataway normally puts out large linemen. That's step 1. They also put out really good RBs behind those lines. The defense is always strong as well. Why? Because every kid buys in. The kids want to be a part of it from a very early age. I see scrawny 9 year olds work themselves into 225 lb LBs. The boys are all focused on being the best.

Well, Piscataway normally puts out large linemen. That's step 1. They also put out really good RBs behind those lines. The defense is always strong as well. Why? Because every kid buys in. The kids want to be a part of it from a very early age. I see scrawny 9 year olds work themselves into 225 lb LBs. The boys are all focused on being the best.
Completely agree with that assessment. It always stood out to me that the defense was always faster then whatever offense they were playing against

Is Piscataway getting kids from neighboring towns, off the record,
During the time my son played there all of the impact players were kids he played Pop Warner with. In other words they were homegrown. Can I definitely say there were no kids who may have moved in from other towns that were on the roster? No I can not. But I can comfortably say that the key to Piscataway’s success is not based on talent from other towns.

During the time my son played there all of the impact players were kids he played Pop Warner with. In other words they were homegrown. Can I definitely say there were no kids who may have moved in from other towns that were on the roster? No I can not. But I can comfortably say that the key to Piscataway’s success is not based on talent from other towns.

I could see parents in Plainfield and Bound Brook finding a way to have Piscataway mailing addresses

A number of school’s have already cancelled sports. Expect many more. The issue is Murphy and the DOE keep moving the goalposts for schools to offer in person school as the NJEA is now twisting the screws tighter and tighter. Don’t believe anything Murphy says at Press Conferences. He is making weekly changes that will eventually make it impossible to open schools because he is getting his marching orders from the NJEA. This changes make it impossible for schools to have sports without eating huge liability issues. With every change comes school boards giving up on even trying. Superintendents are sick of Murphy putting them in between parents, students and teachers. This is the NJEA laying it on thick. I also realize there are many rank and file teachers who are not a part of the NJEA antics currently going on. Don’t expect many public schools to be open come September. Don’t expect any fall sports.

Reactions: Knightmoves
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT