ADVERTISEMENT

Pitch Recognition

zappaa

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Montclair NJ
rudad will agree with me here.
We are so fixated on teaching launch angles and bat speed off a tee today we forget the most important aspect of hitting that allows you to get into those positions without thinking.
Seeing the ball out of the pitchers hand, even picking up his fingers is vital.
My dad saw the ball sooner than anyone and it allowed him to swing seemingly late.
Players today commit themselves so soon they have no control of their swing.
I don’t think Donaldson from the Yankees even tried to pick up the baseball.
You need to see it before you hit it

Reactions: RUnTeX
rudad will agree with me here.
We are so fixated on teaching launch angles and bat speed off a tee today we forget the most important aspect of hitting that allows you to get into those positions without thinking.
Seeing the ball out of the pitchers hand, even picking up his fingers is vital.
My dad saw the ball sooner than anyone and it allowed him to swing seemingly late.
Players today commit themselves so soon they have no control of their swing.
I don’t think Donaldson from the Yankees even tried to pick up the baseball.
You need to see it before you hit it
Yes Zap, I refer to them as swingers rather than hitters as I'm sure you know. All this launch angles & other stuff has little to do with being a good hitter.
Were they calling that letter high strike when you played? I'd guess they probably were. There is no way these guys could hit that pitch in a million years. You had to come up off your back foot & drive the ball. These guys all uppercut, & would either miss that pitch or foul it back or pop it up if they were lucky.
The reason they no longer call that pitch a strike & also moved the fences in, was to make the game MORE homer friendly.
To be honest, I really cant remember that far back when I picked the ball up, quite sure right out of the guy's hand, but I know that I followed it right up to contact. Kept your head on the ball.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT