ADVERTISEMENT

Politi on Ron Harper Jr, Sr and Rutgers.

Highlight:

He is a 6-foot-5 wing with room to grow -- both as a basketball player and as a human being.

"By the time they start college, he's going to be 6-8, 6-9. He's still growing," his father said. "The kid is wearing a size 18 shoe. He's got a 7-1 wing span. I told him, he's the next Kevin Durant type, he's going to be 6-9 and he's going to be able to do everything. He doesn't have an idea of what coming to college and getting stronger is going to do to his game."

Highlight:

He is a 6-foot-5 wing with room to grow -- both as a basketball player and as a human being.

"By the time they start college, he's going to be 6-8, 6-9. He's still growing," his father said. "The kid is wearing a size 18 shoe. He's got a 7-1 wing span. I told him, he's the next Kevin Durant type, he's going to be 6-9 and he's going to be able to do everything. He doesn't have an idea of what coming to college and getting stronger is going to do to his game."
Harper getting taller would make him a tough match up assuming strength and conditioning also takes place.

Sounds like my uncle pumping up my cousin. Still, very excited to see the player Harper Jr grows into on the banks!

Chance he might end up being the most talented player in the class

I think Ron will have a nice career at RU. I stated this on the other thread and still think all of those who want him red shirted and are doubters about him will be proven wrong. I said Pikiell really loves the kid and I've seen him play 4 times and I think he will be better during his career than most think.

Definitively has the look of someone who is still growing physically. With his offensive agility and a couple more inches of height, he's gonna be a big contributor here.

I really hope Don Bosco can defeat Roselle Catholic in the TOC but they must get by Newark East Side (if they should defeat Shawnee today) before even getting to play RC.

Once had a HS freshman who was 6' and wore size 14 shoes. When he was a senior he was 6' and wore size 14 shoes. Kid is going to be good for us but kids rarely grow four inches after high school, except for David Robinson.

And more often than not when I've seen him play he's hit the THREE.

Last edited:
Once had a HS freshman who was 6' and wore size 14 shoes. When he was a senior he was 6' and wore size 14 shoes. Kid is going to be good for us but kids rarely grow four inches after high school, except for David Robinson.
He’s still in HS, 17-19 are spurt years.

And Anthony Davis.

Reactions: Kbee3

I think Ron will have a nice career at RU. I stated this on the other thread and still think all of those who want him red shirted and are doubters about him will be proven wrong. I said Pikiell really loves the kid and I've seen him play 4 times and I think he will be better during his career than most think.
Unless he really cannot play at this level there is no way he should red shirt. We already have a short bench if Bullock and Mensah stay.

More and more I see red shirting as a waste in the age of free agency.. I mean age or grad transfers.

And Julius Erving

Very rare for a 14 year old not to gain any height by 18. How much coffee did he drink each day? lol

Agree, though, that it's rare to grow much after reaching 18, but boys are still growing at 17-20. Growing 4" is a real stretch (pardon the pun), but picking up another inch or two isn't that uncommon.

If Harper Jr is 6-6 now at 17 and grows to 6-8 by 19, that'd be great for us.

I thought that at the last Court Club meeting, Pike said that Harper was 6'7" and could grab a defensive rebound and bring the ball all the way downcourt for a shot.

Yeah it's rare but I remember Roy Hinson having a growth spurt here and Jason Thompson at Rider.

And except Dennis Rodman, who graduated school, nobody wanted him, went to work at an airport as a porter, and grew 6 inches in one
year. And then everyone was interested.

Very rare for a 14 year old not to gain any height by 18. How much coffee did he drink each day? lol

Agree, though, that it's rare to grow much after reaching 18, but boys are still growing at 17-20. Growing 4" is a real stretch (pardon the pun), but picking up another inch or two isn't that uncommon.

If Harper Jr is 6-6 now at 17 and grows to 6-8 by 19, that'd be great for us.
Everyone is different. My brother and I both reached out full height by age 12.

Reactions: rubaseball78
Everyone is different. My brother and I both reached out full height by age 12.
I was the opposite, not proud or happy about it I was almost 17 when I started my only growth spurt. I was a 4 year Air Force veteran,
then spent 3 years in California came home to NJ and still was being ID's in bars. But now people
guess me to be in my fifties and that was long long time ago.

That could be why Pikiell can envision him as a stretch 4.

Exactly my thoughts. He could be a nightmare stretch four with the way he shots and can pull bigger guys away from the basket

Wonder, since he is so young, if we don’t redshirt him if that’s his plan. I actually like that concept

Reactions: dpwhite
Exactly my thoughts. He could be a nightmare stretch four with the way he shots and can pull bigger guys away from the basket

Wonder, since he is so young, if we don’t redshirt him if that’s his plan. I actually like that concept
Unfortunately we need all hands on deck when it comes to shooters.

Nobody, whether it's father or people who know him even better like a group of message board posters, can say if Harper will keep growing, but I will say this: Harper is still only 17 years old (for another month). Meanwhile a lot of players are coming into college as 19 year olds these days. So there is that.

Last edited:
I look at some similar built players like Faison at Northwestern as a model for an initial role for Harper....as an stretch 4 from 6'7 to 6'8", that can make a pass quickly or dribble out of trouble to generate a play.

if the ball moved this past year and landed with Freeman or Eugene outside of the paint, teams backed off asking/begging for them to shoot.....Harper is not anywhere near the player or athlete that Freeman provided, but teams will have to close out on Harper, if he can slot into that type of role.

He might wind up in that role, like Myles Johnson might as well...when the ball reverses, Johnson isnt your post up/back to the basket 4-5 man....he is more of a skill set guy, not athletic, jump over the defender player...but can help provide spacing.

The more ball movement RU can generate with a Harper and Johnson in the game, is likely going to find both players with chances to score or be left open....i don't ever see either player as the 2nd or 3rd player a defense needs to focus on, but if your 4th or 5th best option on the court, has shooting range and can make a pass, it places more stress on the opponent.

Reactions: Scarlet Shack
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT