ADVERTISEMENT

Politi With The Hot-Take On The New University President, and How Barchi Screwed Up Athletics

Wasn’t he a college football player too? Makes even less sense
I think Barchi played two sports in college, though IIRC neither was football. Maybe lax and something else? And you're right that it made no sense, since it seemed he was on board with athletics when he was first hired. Asking hm to oversee his responsibilities with the merger and various other things AND manage the athletics department was too much for one person. But it seems we may have gotten this one right, with Holloway's background. Hopefully he takes both academics and athletics, which are now in better places than when Barchi took over, to new levels.

EDIT: @e5fdny corrected clarified that Barchi played football at Georgetown, which makes Barchi's decisions that much more questionable.

The second he said he was unprepared for the reaction to the Rice incident, he should have been given the boot.
And added the statement that college sports is a great "activity". It wasn't until this past season that he realized it was actually big business. Dumbest P5 President ever. And don't even try to say he did a great job on the merger. He spent tens of millions to let other people do the work. Lazy and stupid with no common sense

:

Will never understand how Rutgers athletics fans defend that clown. He set athletics back an entire decade with his spineless leadership.

Folks here need to understand what Barchi was hired to do. Get the Rutgers Medical and Health programs on solid footing and integrated post merger after decades of mismanagement led by the State. Why? Because over time that brings in way more prestige and, in turn, money to Rutgers than athletics. As for the rest, including athletics, it was secondary. Given that, he did his job well.

Last edited:
And added the statement that college sports is a great "activity". It wasn't until this past season that he realized it was actually big business. Dumbest P5 President ever. And don't even try to say he did a great job on the merger. He spent tens of millions to let other people do the work. Lazy and stupid with no common sense

he didnt realize the importance of football until a couple days before Thanksgiving 2019..says it all

Barchi clearly was not interested in Athletics but he has overseen significant improvements across the University. In addition to the Med School takeover, the campus looks so much better than when he took over. There has also been significant increases in SAT scores and GPA averages for incoming freshman - The school is much harder to get into today. He deserves some credit

Barchi clearly was not interested in Athletics but he has overseen significant improvements across the University. In addition to the Med School takeover, the campus looks so much better than when he took over. There has also been significant increases in SAT scores and GPA averages for incoming freshman - The school is much harder to get into today. He deserves some credit
Please Stop. Please stop being so stupid and not informed. He had zero to do with the merger agreement. It was in place before he got here. He wasn't involved with the many companies that were hired for the merger. They got paid tens of millions. A blind dog would have done the same job.

I wish he had been more involved in athletics too, but applications and high school students campus visits are skyrocketing. We are ranked as one of the top 50 universities in the world and SAT scores continue to go up. It is getting VERY hard to get into the Honors College, Nursing School, Business School, Engineering, Physician Assistant program,Pharmacy, etc. Thousands of new dorms have been built on all three campuses. New Honors dorm opening at Newark. Camden campus expanding with new Nursing building, new rec fields, and a Business School building on the way.Piscataway/New Brunswick campus opened new buildings for Engineering, Chemistry, Student Services, two new Rutgers theaters at the New Brunswick Performing Arts Center with a Musical Theater Major on the way, New and renovated dorms coming to Cook,School of Pharmacy expansion, and other things I have forgotten. Possibly most important, is that during my lifetime, I don’t ever remember this much interest in RU from New Jersey parents and high school students.:Rutgers:CHOP:

I wish he had been more involved in athletics too, but applications and high school students campus visits are skyrocketing. We are ranked as one of the top 50 universities in the world and SAT scores continue to go up. It is getting VERY hard to get into the Honors College, Nursing School, Business School, Engineering, Physician Assistant program,Pharmacy, etc. Thousands of new dorms have been built on all three campuses. New Honors dorm opening at Newark. Camden campus expanding with new Nursing building, new rec fields, and a Business School building on the way.Piscataway/New Brunswick campus opened new buildings for Engineering, Chemistry, Student Services, two new Rutgers theaters at the New Brunswick Performing Arts Center with a Musical Theater Major on the way, New and renovated dorms coming to Cook,School of Pharmacy expansion, and other things I have forgotten. Possibly most important, is that during my lifetime, I don’t ever remember this much interest in RU from New Jersey parents and high school students.:Rutgers:CHOP:
The problem with most of the credits you give him were all ready planned before he got here. There is nothing you can point to and say Wow Barchi did a great job. He just sat in the seat and watched Rutgers change. Athletics wise he was told by the Government to fire Flood and Herman. The man is a clown. Worst hires in Rutgers history Ash=Barchi

Whitebus, you have probably been around Rutgers long enough to see good plans screwed up by someone later in the timeline. lol See Kyle Flood and Chris Ash lol
I have. But are we giving credit to Barchi for not doing anything. The merger was on auto pilot before he got here. He sat in a chair and collected pay checks

A lot of this also has to do with the massive increase in the cost of college. Students who would have typically gone to schools like BU, BC, Northeastern, Syracuse, etc., are beginning to stay home because of cost. Barchi doesn't deserve that much credit for this uptick in admissions standards.

Wasn’t he a college football player too? Makes even less sense
Yes he was a center at Georgetown. It actually makes perfect sense. Think about it- how important is football at Georgetown? He never once grasped the concept that the importance of B1G athletics is exponentially greater than FCS Georgetown.

I have. But are we giving credit to Barchi for not doing anything. The merger was on auto pilot before he got here. He sat in a chair and collected pay checks
I have no idea how much of a role he has played in all the improvements since he was hired, but were he, Eddie Jordan, and Chris Ash ALL getting paychecks for doing nothing ? lol

Please Stop. Please stop being so stupid and not informed. He had zero to do with the merger agreement. It was in place before he got here. He wasn't involved with the many companies that were hired for the merger. They got paid tens of millions. A blind dog would have done the same job.

Your willingness to constantly call other people "stupid" or "dumb" is positively astounding.

That aside, the idea that you are in any position to assess the job Barchi has done as President of the University is utterly laughable. You have no idea what he had to do as it pertains to the merger, or any other aspect of his job, and you are in no position to evaluate his accomplishments...hell, you aren't even on the same planet.

Last edited:
Do you think Pernetti should not have been fired? That's just ridiculous. This has been gone over a thousand times.

My point was more about Barchi not taking a couple minutes out of his day to watch the video when given the chance but then turning right around and firing Pernetti...not trying to debate whether or not he should have been fired.

You asked for an example of when he was spineless and that’s a perfect example.

I have no idea how much of a role he has played in all the improvements since he was hired, but were he, Eddie Jordan, and Chris Ash ALL getting paychecks for doing nothing ? lol
Add in Flood, Herman and Rice getting pay checks under his watch

I think Barchi played two sports in college, though IIRC neither was football. Maybe lax and something else? And you're right that it made no sense, since it seemed he was on board with athletics when he was first hired.
How can you say that when one of his first mandates for athletics was to reduce athletic subsidy. When we got the invitation to the B1G he stuck to those guns, mandating a reduction in spending. At a time when Rutgers should have been investing and ramping up for their induction, he did the complete opposite.

Sorry but the man was never on board with athletics and saw them only as a participation activity. It's how we wound up with Rice and Flood as it's all Rutgers could afford after the reductions. It was just more self-inflicted wounds dictate by his actions.

My point was more about Barchi not taking a couple minutes out of his day to watch the video when given the chance but then turning right around and firing Pernetti...not trying to debate whether or not he should have been fired.

You asked for an example of when he was spineless and that’s a perfect example.

It was Pernetti's job. Unless you are telling me Pernetti should not have been fired, it was not spineless. The simple fact is that Pernetti botched it, and lost his job just like anyone else would after what he did.

So I am not sure how you get from that to spineless. Expecting people to do their job, and then firing them when they don't is not spineless. Reviewing the incident and making the call was 100% Pernetti's job.

Barchi treated our athletic department like a club activity for 7.5 years and a few weeks before he leaves it finally clicks and only because the entire alumni base had a melt down so bad that the Governor had to get involved.

Treated it like a club activity by funding it with the largest subsidy in the nation for his entire tenure? That kind of club activity?

You guys who hate Barchi, have no idea what you are talking about. You have all been corrected on this thousands of times, you just refuse to acknowledge the truth - which is that Rutgers donor base sucks, and that is why our athletics program struggles.

Your willingness to constantly call other people "stupid" or "dumb" is positively astounding.

That aside, the idea that you are in any position to assess the job Barchi has done as President of the University is utterly laughable. You have no idea what he had to do as it pertains to the merger, or any other aspect of his job, and you are in no position to evaluate his accomplishments...hell, you aren't even on the same planet.
The ignore feature is your friend--"Ignore is Bliss." It is not hard to guess who you are responding to.

Politi is the nerdy kid in high school who tries way too hard to write witty things to get positive attention.

And do they have any editors at NJ.com?

"Holloway cut his teeth at two universities -- Stanford and Northwestern -- that have proven athletic and academic excellent do not have to be mutually exclusive."

Last edited:
It was Pernetti's job. Unless you are telling me Pernetti should not have been fired, it was not spineless. The simple fact is that Pernetti botched it, and lost his job just like anyone else would after what he did.

So I am not sure how you get from that to spineless. Expecting people to do their job, and then firing them when they don't is not spineless. Reviewing the incident and making the call was 100% Pernetti's job.

As the President of Rutgers, it also became Barchi’s job once he was presented with the opportunity to watch the tapes. But he decided it wasn’t worth a couple minutes of his time. His responsibility is to oversee the entire University.

So unless you’re telling me Barchi shouldn’t have watched the tapes when he was given the opportunity, it was spineless.

Barchi himself has stated multiple times himself that he underestimated the role Athletics played at a University like Rutgers...he just didn’t get it.

As the President of Rutgers, it also became Barchi’s job once he was presented with the opportunity to watch the tapes. But he decided it wasn’t worth a couple minutes of his time. His responsibility is to oversee the entire University.

So unless you’re telling me Barchi shouldn’t have watched the tapes when he was given the opportunity, it was spineless...

So the indictment against Barchi was that he declined to do Pernetti's job for him? Why should Barchi have watched the tapes? Pernetti tried to make Barchi do the hard part of his job for him, and Barchi declined. Boo hoo. He told Pernetti to do his job and make the call. Pernetti made the call, then backtracked, then publicly admitted he handled it improperly.

And you are mad about this why? Because Pernetti couldn't hide behind Barchi instead of being held accountable for his own incompetence? The reality is that Pernetti was fired for one reason only -- he went to the media and publicly admitted he mishandled it. Not because of Barchi...

Its really just that simple. How you get to blaming Barchi for not doing Pernetti's job for him makes no sense. Indeed, the entire love affair of this board with Pernetti makes no sense. He was an unmitigated disaster as AD. Nice guy...but not good at his job.

So the indictment against Barchi was that he declined to do Pernetti's job for him? Why should Barchi have watched the tapes? Pernetti tried to make Barchi do the hard part of his job for him, and Barchi declined. Boo hoo. He told Pernetti to do his job and make the call. Pernetti made the call, and then botched it. He was rightly fired as a result.

Its really just that simple. How you get to blaming Barchi for not doing Pernettis job for him makes no sense. Indeed, the entire love affair of this board with Pernetti makes no sense. He was an unmitigated disaster as AD. Nice guy...but not good at his job.

I have no love affair with Pernetti and never said he shouldn’t have gotten fired.

You’re not very good at this. Agree to disagree.

Reactions: bac2therac
So the indictment against Barchi was that he declined to do Pernetti's job for him? Why should Barchi have watched the tapes? Pernetti tried to make Barchi do the hard part of his job for him, and Barchi declined. Boo hoo. He told Pernetti to do his job and make the call. Pernetti made the call, then backtracked, then publicly admitted he handled it improperly.

And you are mad about this why? Because Pernetti couldn't hide behind Barchi instead of being held accountable for his own incompetence?

Its really just that simple. How you get to blaming Barchi for not doing Pernettis job for him makes no sense. Indeed, the entire love affair of this board with Pernetti makes no sense. He was an unmitigated disaster as AD. Nice guy...but not good at his job.

If I'm remembering correctly, the issue with Barchi not watching the tape was that he essentially made it his job.

Pernetti initially wanted to fire Rice. Barchi / Rutgers HR Legal said "no", but they did so without support of the evidence. At that point, Barchi becomes obligated to review the tape.

At least, that's my take on it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT