ADVERTISEMENT

Politi With The Hot-Take On The New University President, and How Barchi Screwed Up Athletics

I have no love affair with Pernetti and never said he shouldn’t have gotten fired.

You’re not very good at this. Agree to disagree.

I said the "love affair of this board." Its not all about you.

So if you agree Pernetti should have been fired...what are we mad at Barchi for? For not being a dummy like Pernetti and getting himself canned? Seems like Barchi handled it perfectly.... he told the head of athletics to deal with the athletics scandal.

I said the "love affair of this board." Its not all about you.

So if you agree Pernetti should have been fired...what are we mad at Barchi for? For not being a dummy like Pernetti and getting himself canned? Seems like Barchi handled it perfectly.... he told the head of athletics to deal with the athletics scandal.

I’m not mad at Barchi for anything. I simply gave an example of him being spineless.

I find it laughable you won’t admit that he should have watched the tapes.

He did some good things as President but he also came up short or was clueless in other areas, especially Athletics.

I’m not sad to see him go. He should have just been tasked with the Med merger. We can do better and hopefully this next guy will.

Reactions: scottsdaleal
If I'm remembering correctly, the issue with Barchi not watching the tape was that he essentially made it his job.

Pernetti initially wanted to fire Rice. Barchi / Rutgers HR Legal said "no", but they did so without support of the evidence. At that point, Barchi becomes obligated to review the tape.

At least, that's my take on it.

This may very well be true...but my entire take on the situation was that Pernetti was fired for an inability to deal with the negative press that resulted, as opposed to staying on message that the issue had been dealt with. Rice had previously been suspended, and a monitor was already attending practices. By the time it broke the main stream media, the entire "scandal" was weeks old recycled news.

That being the case, Pernetti's public admission that he had mishandled the situation, and that in fact Rice should have been fired, was shocking. It was the exact wrong way to handle it. Once you make a decision....you have to stick to it. Instead, Pernetti publicly backtracked, and essentially threw himself under the bus. Barchi couldn't have saved Pernetti if he wanted to.

Reactions: tRUncheon
I’m not mad at Barchi for anything. I simply gave an example of him being spineless.

I find it laughable you won’t admit that he should have watched the tapes.

He did some good things as President but he also came up short or was clueless in other areas, especially Athletics.

I’m not sad to see him go. He should have just been tasked with the Med merger. We can do better and hopefully this next guy will.

I won't admit it, because I don't agree with it. It was very smart of him to not watch them.

I do agree with you though...hopefully the next Pres is a home run. Onward and upward.

Reactions: S_Janowski
How can you say that when one of his first mandates for athletics was to reduce athletic subsidy. When we got the invitation to the B1G he stuck to those guns, mandating a reduction in spending. At a time when Rutgers should have been investing and ramping up for their induction, he did the complete opposite.

Sorry but the man was never on board with athletics and saw them only as a participation activity. It's how we wound up with Rice and Flood as it's all Rutgers could afford after the reductions. It was just more self-inflicted wounds dictate by his actions.
You misread what I said. When he was initially hired he spoke highly of athletics, and then did nothing to back it up. In fact, he did the opposite, hamstringing us to the point of embarrassment. Based on the article I posted and that I said Politi was spot on in what he wrote, it's obvious that I think Barchi was horrendous for Rutgers athletics.

....Pernetti was fired for an inability to deal with the negative press that resulted, as opposed to staying on message that the issue had been dealt with.

This is a thing that Rutgers athletics, historically, has inarguably sucked at.

I keep saying they should hire me. Be a nice "last job".

It would. Having seen what they pay their outside counsel when these things pop up, I too want some of that action. They obviously need someone to tell them what to say and what not to say.

It was Pernetti's job. Unless you are telling me Pernetti should not have been fired, it was not spineless. The simple fact is that Pernetti botched it, and lost his job just like anyone else would after what he did.

So I am not sure how you get from that to spineless. Expecting people to do their job, and then firing them when they don't is not spineless. Reviewing the incident and making the call was 100% Pernetti's job.

This was a serious matter to needed EVERYONE taking it seriously. Barchi could give a shit...INEXCUSABLE BEHAVIOR FULL STOP...Shall we go through years of blunders after ythat ending with his embarrassing conversation with KYK

This was a serious matter to needed EVERYONE taking it seriously. Barchi could give a shit...INEXCUSABLE BEHAVIOR FULL STOP...Shall we go through years of blunders after ythat ending with his embarrassing conversation with KYK

Ah yes, the conversation where the President of Rutgers University may have responded to being berated by an anonymous message board poster in a less than ideal manner... if the conversation actually even occurred...

Oddly enough...the same anonymous message board poster who was banned from this website following his yelling "F*CK SETON HALL" repeatedly during the national anthem, embarrassing pretty much everyone associated with Rutgers. That guy...that's the guy we are using as the source on Barchi's true anti-athletic views.

There is quite a few of us on here who may not be AD material but...

source.gif

And yet went offered...nada.

You misread what I said. When he was initially hired he spoke highly of athletics, and then did nothing to back it up. In fact, he did the opposite, hamstringing us to the point of embarrassment. Based on the article I posted and that I said Politi was spot on in what he wrote, it's obvious that I think Barchi was horrendous for Rutgers athletics.
I must have because I thought it was strange that you would defend him. As you were always one who thought the subsidy reduction goal at the time was misguided

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
Ah yes, the conversation where the President of Rutgers University may have responded to being berated by an anonymous message board poster in a less than ideal manner... if the conversation actually even occurred...

Oddly enough...the same anonymous message board poster who was banned from this website following his yelling "F*CK SETON HALL" repeatedly during the national anthem, embarrassing pretty much everyone associated with Rutgers. That guy...that's the guy we are using as the source on Barchi's true anti-athletic views.

This poster was there with at least one other reputable poster

I must have because I thought it was strange that you would defend him. As you were always one who thought the subsidy reduction goal at the time was misguided
Yeah, I was pissed at the way he's handled athletics pretty much his whole tenure here. He was in over his head because he had no experience with P5 athletics and didn't understand the nature of investment. And when we consider that he was hired to do a massive restructuring of the university with the reintegration of the hospital, athletics became a disaster. It quickly became my opinion that Barchi should have been hired to manage the reintegration as a special project director, and a president hired for the day-to-day operation of the university, including the athletics department. Not sure if that was feasible, but one person can only handle so much in such a public position.

Please Stop. Please stop being so stupid and not informed. He had zero to do with the merger agreement. It was in place before he got here. He wasn't involved with the many companies that were hired for the merger. They got paid tens of millions. A blind dog would have done the same job.
Nice response - very mature. Sticks and stones. Of course you did nothing to argue anything else in the post. I am not a defender of Bob B. He was terrible for athletics - but if you can't acknowledge other successes during his tenure you are worse than stupid.

This board is such a mess sometimes because we have a ton of posters who have held/still hold executive-level positions, and a ton of people who haven’t done much since setting the frat house record for longest keg stand.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Football at Georgetown is like ice cubes in Antarctica.... irrelevant!

Yes he was a center at Georgetown. It actually makes perfect sense. Think about it- how important is football at Georgetown? He never once grasped the concept that the importance of B1G athletics is exponentially greater than FCS Georgetown.
But he should have grasped what the “Ewing” factor did to benefit the whole of Georgetown. It is a much more prestigious and selective school than it was Pre Patrick Ewing. Endowment is significantly larger now as well.

President Barchi is a doctor,neuroscientist,accomplished academic organizer. This whole thread is uncalled for. Silly the notion that the new person coming in will benefit athletics at the expense of the university’s mission. Just silly. We build an athletic program that the university community can be proud of. Some places are trying to build academics that the athletic department can be proud of. Not us.

Except Barchi was not President when Greg left.

Do you think Pernetti should not have been fired? That's just ridiculous. This has been gone over a thousand times.

There seems to be a contingent (including Politi) that want to blame Barchi for Pernetti's mistakes, even those mistakes that happened before Barchi was hired.

Certainly Barchi took a hands-off approach to Athletics, expecting the Athletic Director to manage Athletics. You can argue whether that is the right approach or not. I don't have a problem with this approach, because I wouldn't want an academician in the President's Office to be micromanaging Athletics. (On the other hand, Greg Brown from the BOG stepped in and was very involved in the hiring of Ash and Schiano).

But if you agree that the Athletic Director should run Athletics without micromanagement from the President, then Barchi's big Athletics error was hiring Julie.

President Barchi is a doctor,neuroscientist,accomplished academic organizer. This whole thread is uncalled for. Silly the notion that the new person coming in will benefit athletics at the expense of the university’s mission. Just silly. We build an athletic program that the university community can be proud of. Some places are trying to build academics that the athletic department can be proud of. Not us.
What board are you reading? No one has said build Athletics at the expense of academics. No one! We all have been saying that you can have both! Great Academics and Athletics. I have no idea what you are talking about.

If I'm remembering correctly, the issue with Barchi not watching the tape was that he essentially made it his job.

Pernetti initially wanted to fire Rice. Barchi / Rutgers HR Legal said "no", but they did so without support of the evidence. At that point, Barchi becomes obligated to review the tape.

At least, that's my take on it.
You are not remembering correctly. You are repeating a false narrative from the Pernetti defenders on this board.

Pernetti was never told by legal or HR that he couldn't fire Rice. Pernetti always had the option to fire Rice for any reason, including losing the St Peters basketball game. What they told Pernetti was if he fired Rice, he would have to pay Rice his buyout. Pernetti rejected that option and only presented the suspend option to Barchi and the Board.

You are not remembering correctly. You are repeating a false narrative from the Pernetti defenders on this board.

Pernetti was never told by legal or HR that he couldn't fire Rice. Pernetti always had the option to fire Rice for any reason, including losing the St Peters basketball game. What they told Pernetti was if he fired Rice, he would have to pay Rice his buyout. Pernetti rejected that option and only presented the suspend option to Barchi and the Board.
That is complete BS.

That is complete BS.
Right. You caught me. It is complete BS. Everyone knows ADs aren't allowed to fire coaches without cause. That's why legal and HR gave Hobbs such a hard time about firing Ash. Hobbs spent weeks putting together the casebook about why Ash was being fired.

The problem with most of the credits you give him were all ready planned before he got here. There is nothing you can point to and say Wow Barchi did a great job. He just sat in the seat and watched Rutgers change. Athletics wise he was told by the Government to fire Flood and Herman. The man is a clown. Worst hires in Rutgers history Ash=Barchi
I am sorry, but this is probably the most ignorant posts I have ever read on this site. You obviously have never run a business or been involved at a senior management level at a large organization. Barchi was an excellent president. Yes, many plans were already in place when he got here, but they needed a man such a Barchi to implement them successfully. A hell of a lot could have gone wrong if not for his excellent management skills. He left the University in a much better position in all aspects that count than almost any of his predecessors. He will go down as a one of the best presidents, not worst, for all those who understand the mission of a university is more than fielding a successful P5 football team.

I am sorry, but this is probably the most ignorant posts I have ever read on this site. You obviously have never run a business or been involved at a senior management level at a large organization. Barchi was an excellent president. Yes, many plans were already in place when he got here, but they needed a man such a Barchi to implement them successfully. A hell of a lot could have gone wrong if not for his excellent management skills. He left the University in a much better position in all aspects that count than almost any of his predecessors. He will go down as a one of the best presidents, not worst, for all those who understand the mission of a university is more than fielding a successful P5 football team.
I don’t disagree with a great deal of what you wrote. I think one big flaw was not putting in a realistic plan to succeed athletically in the Big 10 when we accepted. We joined on his watch. It appears the plan was wait until we receive our full allotment of funding and that would take care of itself. Not close to being a plan built for success.

Reactions: czxqa
I have. But are we giving credit to Barchi for not doing anything. The merger was on auto pilot before he got here. He sat in a chair and collected pay checks
Really. You have an obvious bias here. I agree, he was not a friend of athletics. But to not give credit for executing the merger plus the other infrastructure improvements is because you just don't want to.

And there are a lot of people who do think Pernetti should not have been fired. That Barchi threw him under the bus.

Which is crazy. There is no universe in which Pernetti would have survived that. Sorry to be a broken record, but at the height of the scandal, Pernetti gave an interview admitting he handled it incorrectly. No one made him admit that!

So your only other option is had Barchi watched the tapes, and gone along with the suspension, then he probably gets fired as well as Pernetti. Which is all this is really about. People are mad that Pernetti got fired and Barchi didn't. Which makes no sense.

The idea that Pernetti's inability to do his job properly was somehow Barchi's fault is really frustrating. And it seems that everyone on this board who ever believed that goes right on believing it, regardless of how ridiculous it is. Their hatred of Barchi leads them to the idea that Barchi should have been fired over Mike Rice, but Pernetti should have kept his job. Its insane.

How is it BS? Explain how you know anything about this.

Its always funny when people who know nothing act like they have the answers.
How is it BS? Explain how you know anything about this.

Its always funny when people who know nothing act like they have the answers.
From a person who was directly involved in the entire situation. Not 3rd party crap. If you have read my posts through the years you can easily figure it out.

From a person who was directly involved in the entire situation. Not 3rd party crap. If you have read my posts through the years you can easily figure it out.

Umm...that is 3rd party crap. So what are you saying? Pernetti was told by Barchi he was not allowed to fire Rice, even if he had the funds to pay for it? That doesn't pass the smell test.

You're preaching to the choir.

I have always said that, if I were Tim Pernetti, the only thing I get fired for is firing Mike Rice against the wishes of anyone who, theoretically, may have instructed otherwise. That's a hill you die on.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Which is crazy. There is no universe in which Pernetti would have survived that. Sorry to be a broken record, but at the height of the scandal, Pernetti gave an interview admitting he handled it incorrectly. No one made him admit that!

So your only other option is had Barchi watched the tapes, and gone along with the suspension, then he probably gets fired as well as Pernetti. Which is all this is really about. People are mad that Pernetti got fired and Barchi didn't. Which makes no sense.

The idea that Pernetti's inability to do his job properly was somehow Barchi's fault is really frustrating. And it seems that everyone on this board who ever believed that goes right on believing it, regardless of how ridiculous it is. Their hatred of Barchi leads them to the idea that Barchi should have been fired over Mike Rice, but Pernetti should have kept his job. Its insane.

BARCHI COULD NOT BE BOTHERED TO WATCH THE TAPES

ADVERTISEMENT