Votes: 98 51.3%
  • Pernetti

Votes: 21 11.0%

• Total voters

RURahh

All Conference
Gold Member
Sep 21, 2013
While I am in the 99% who love Pat Hobbs as both the face and future of RU athletics and truly hope that 5 years from now he is a clear cut top choice, he has yet to have any type of on field success in our over matched B10 but has made great progress fund raising and kept us relatively scandal free

The best thing that has happened to RU in the last 30 years was getting our invite into the B10 and I believe that credit can almost be equally split between Mulcahy ( who set the table) and Pernetti (who served the food)

Our best success in major sports occurred with Mulcahy and/or Pernetti both of whom got majorly screwed by NJ media and politics but also had success with much weaker competition. I truly believe that we will never have an AD who loves Rutgers more than Tim Pernetti but as a Villanova grad, Mulcagy had a lot of Jersey in him as well

Mulcahy navigated the NJ political field quite well and did more in his 11 years than the progress we made 30 years prior and really set the stage for us to go big time

In the end, both Mulcahy and Pernetti were fired due to an over zealous NJ media that loves to devour it's own, but history will show how lucky we were to not be stuck like UConn or even BC/Syracuse who are both shadows of their former selves

So, please stray away from the Out of Sight - Out of Mind and give your objective reasons on who is the best AT THIS POINT IN TIME

Last edited:
While I am in the 99% who love Pat Hobbs as both the face and future of RU athletics, he has yet to have any type of on field success in our over matched B10

The best thing that has happened to RU in the last 30 years was getting our invite into the B10 and I believe that credit can almost be equally split between Mulcahy ( who set the table) and Pernetti (who served the food)

Our best success in major sports occurred with Pernetti, and anyone who knows the program, knows he got railroaded in the Mike Rice scandal and the Flood hiring was done to save our best recruiting class ever and he actually looked like a Genius when we started 7-0

Mulcahy navigated the NJ political field quite well and did more in his 11 years than the progress we made 30 years prior and really set the stage for us to go big time

In the end, both Mulcahy and Pernetti were fired due to an over zealous NJ media that loves to devour it's own, but history will show how lucky we were to not be stuck like UConn or even BC/Syracuse who are both shadows of their former selves

So, please stray away from the Out of Sight - Out of Mind and give your objective reasons on who is the best AT THIS POINT IN TIME

Huh? Our best success was under bob mulcahy and not pernetti. Under uncle bob, who hired schiano we had our best seasons 2006-2007 in football. This includes our biggest football wins ever and snapping a 30 year bowl drought.
In basketball we had multiple NIT trips including a finals appearance.
Women’s b-ball also made it to the NCAA finals and was a top 10 program annually.
Mulcahy also got the football stadium expanded.

What success under pernetti comes close to that?

Huh? Our best success was under bob mulcahy and not pernetti. Under uncle bob, who hired schiano we had our best seasons 2006-2007 in football. This includes our biggest football wins ever and snapping a 30 year bowl drought.
Women’s b-ball also made it to the NCAA finals and was a top 10 program annually.
Mulcahy also got the football stadium expanded.

What success under pernetti comes close to that?

All great points @superfan01 I actually think our 2014 football team was perhaps better than our 2006 team, and would be even better had we beat Ped St given the level of competition we faced. Also, it was our first ever Lambert Trophy and for consistency, our football teams under Tim were far better than under Bob, but again, Bob was the one who built it

Women's basketball did have more success under Mulcahy but had about the same percentage of NCAA appearances with Tim as AD. As for men's basketball,you are 100% correct.

Huh? Our best success was under bob mulcahy and not pernetti.

And Mulcahy set the stage to force Waters out, who took us to 3 NIT appearances in 5 years, including making the final which we lost against Michigan. We haven't visited the post season since Gary Waters was coach. Hell, Waters was the last coach to turn in a winning record!

Reactions: MidwestKnights
All great points @superfan01 I actually think our 2014 football team was perhaps better than our 2006 team, and would be even better had we beat Ped St given the level of competition we faced. Also, it was our first ever Lambert Trophy and for consistency, our football teams under Tim were far better than under Bob, but again, Bob was the one who built it

Women's basketball did have more success under Mulcahy but had about the same percentage of NCAA appearances with Tim as AD. As for men's basketball,you are 100% correct.

Our 2014 that had multiple blowout losses and would have lost by at least 14 pts to our 2006 team. We played two top 5 teams in 2006 and should have won both. We finished top 15 ranked in country.

2006 to 2014 is not even close for comparison.

Come on buddy. Starting to question if you were even around in 2006 with these comments.

Reactions: Randal7
Our 2014 that had multiple blowout losses and would have lost by at least 14 pts to our 2006 team. We played two top 5 teams in 2006 and should have won both. We finished top 15 ranked in country.

2006 to 2014 is not even close for comparison.

Come on buddy. Starting to question if you were even around in 2006 with these comments.
Maybe he's thinking of the 2012 team instead of the 2014 team.

Reactions: Randal7
I still believe that Mike Rice would have gotten us to the NCAA if he was around for 2 more years. Great recruiter and very good on the X's and O's. He will coach in college again very soon

And for those with memory loss, Flood in 2012 and also in 2014 was AS popular as Greg if not more popular given his charitable work and great relationships with his players. It's easy to play Monday morning quarterback and say both were bad hires but at the time, Rice was EXACTLY the same type of hire as Pike and Flood, given the time constraints of signing day and the fact that Mrs Cristobal bailed on us last minute was a very acceptable choice at the time

One thing Pernetti did that is never discussed was to name himself as a coach and kept 95% of that recruiting class in tact, and while most fans were freaking out over both Greg leaving and taking his best recruiters with him, Pernetti pulled off a minor miracle that kept us relevant thru our first B10 season

I still believe that Mike Rice would have gotten us to the NCAA if he was around for 2 more years. Great recruiter and very good on the X's and O's. He will coach in college again very soon

And for those with memory loss, Flood in 2012 and also in 2014 was AS popular as Greg if not more popular given his charitable work and great relationships with his players. It's easy to play Monday morning quarterback and say both were bad hires but at the time, Rice was EXACTLY the same type of hire as Pike and Flood, given the time constraints of signing day and the fact that Mrs Cristobal bailed on us last minute was a very acceptable choice at the time

One thing Pernetti did that is never discussed was to name himself as a coach and kept 95% of that recruiting class in tact, and while most fans were freaking out over both Greg leaving and taking his best recruiters with him, Pernetti pulled off a minor miracle that kept us relevant thru our first B10 season

Mrs. Pernetti is that you?

No. Flood was never a popular choice. When he was hired everyone was like, HUH:confused:?, well I guess it might be able to work. Were we willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, sure. But make no mistake no one was jumping up and down about this hire except Mrs. Flood. Hell most thought he would just get an interim tag, but Pernetti blew that one too.. Rice there were warning signs at Robert Morris, not throwing basketball warning signs, but boy what a temper signs. A lot of people on here sitting close to the bench couldn't believe the sh*t that came out of his mouth.

Reactions: Ridge 22
Hobbs, by far. He’s fundraising like we’ve never seen here before. He got the Athletic Performance Center approved and is now fully under construction. He’s getting a new soccer/lax training facility built, with the largest gift ever given to Rutgers Athletics helping to move this along. He hired Steve Pikiell, Brandin Knight and Coach Young, and upgraded the staffs of softball, baseball and gymnastics. He’s getting the Hale Center additional upgrades, like a new, expanded locker room for football.

Mulcahy left basketball to rot and did absolutely nothing for the Olympic sports. Pernetti screwed us over.

upgraded the staffs of softball, baseball and gymnastics.
The rest I agree with. But softball and gymnastics hires were just made. On paper they look like upgrades but without ever coaching a meet or game here at Rutgers it's too early to tell if they're truly upgrades. Baseball with Litterio sucks. They have yet to make a B1G tournament and they haven't been close to a .500 record in the B1G. He's had only one overall winning season in 5 years and that came in the AAC. I have no idea why he was hired in the 1st place. In 12 seasons as a Head coach at Wagner he had exactly 1 winning season.

Reactions: bigmatt718
The rest I agree with. But softball and gymnastics hires were just made. On paper they look like upgrades but without ever coaching a meet or game here at Rutgers it's too early to tell if they're truly upgrades. Baseball with Litterio sucks. They have yet to make a B1G tournament and they haven't been close to a .500 record in the B1G. He's had only one overall winning season in 5 years and that came in the AAC. I have no idea why he was hired in the 1st place. In 12 seasons as a Head coach at Wagner he had exactly 1 winning season.
Keeping Litterio was a mistake after the team crapped out at the end of the season. I'm praying Donigan is a goner after this year as well along with the volleyball coach. Men's TF and Men's Golf aren't doing bad.

Hobbs needs more time on the job before being claimed the best.
But he's moving into that classification and in a few years have the best their is, the best there ever was and ( for many) the best there will be attached to what we say about him
Mulcahy was an exceptional AD and did great things for Rutgers.
But because of how the MBB program became under him ,Bob Mulcahy has a fault attatched to his tenure that some RU fans feel should beattached to his name.
All in all Bob Mulcahy deserves praise, but on the MBB side it praises should be left out.

Right now I have Mulcahy the best, but expect Hobbs to prove to be The Man in a couple of years .

Muclhahy and it’s not even close. Pernetti, Herman and Fred were all bad. Jury still out on Hobbs, he will probably wind up number 2 by default.

How was Pernetti bad? I wouldn’t put him with Mulchahy but I also wouldn’t put him in the same sentence as Dingbat Herman. Pernetti got railroaded by an inept administration and we continue to pay the price. Thanks to that brilliant move we got Hermann, a Flood extension and The Hustler Eddie Jordan

How was Pernetti bad? I wouldn’t put him with Mulchahy but I also wouldn’t put him in the same sentence as Dingbat Herman. Pernetti got railroaded by an inept administration and we continue to pay the price. Thanks to that brilliant move we got Hermann, a Flood extension and The Hustler Eddie Jordan

Pernetti was responsible for hiring two scandalous coaches that brought shame to the university

Reactions: TRU2RU
1. Mulcahy - Brought us into the modern ages - had to overcome all the Gruninger failures
2. Hobbs - a close second - could surpass Mulcahy
3. Pernetti - tried - wasn't up to the job - a good guy
4. Julie - Can't believe she wasn't the worst - set us back at least a decade
5. Fred - The worst

Would we be in the B10 without Pernetti . He was the one that kept the relationship with Delany, bought fundraising into the 21st century (much easier to raise funds in the B10) and was a brilliant negotiator for TV rights. Also, as mentioned prior, he single handedly kept our best recruiting class ever together, remember that Greg took our two best recruiters with him to Tampa Bay and Tim (and Flood) we're our only continuity

1. Mulcahy - Brought us into the modern ages - had to overcome all the Gruninger failures
2. Hobbs - a close second - could surpass Mulcahy
3. Pernetti - tried - wasn't up to the job - a good guy
4. Julie - Can't believe she wasn't the worst - set us back at least a decade
5. Fred - The worst

IMO, Mulcahy a clear #1, w Pernetti still slightly ahead of Hobbs. Let’s not forget Pernetti was a finalist for AD of the year , until the Mike Rice debacle.
Jury is still out on Hobbs big hires ,Ash and to a degree Pikiell.

Reactions: RUaMoose and RURahh
Hobbs is a phenomenal fundraiser, but too early to tell if he can recruit a decent coach. His coaches have made improvements at the rate of pine tar dripping in the winter and have shown nothing in the W-L category.

IMO, Mulcahy a clear #1, w Pernetti still slightly ahead of Hobbs. Let’s not forget Pernetti was a finalist for AD of the year , until the Mike Rice debacle.
Let's also not forget that Pernetti originally wanted to fire Rice, but was advised by RU counsel not to do that. That was when Barchi conveniently didn't watch the video.

Hobbs looks good just because he came in after Julie. He is vastly overrated.

Fundraising, which has done extremely well during his tenure, has really even run by Sarah Baumgartner, a Julie Hermann hire. So sure he gets some credit, but I’m not sure how much he has directly impacted this piece.

Great hire on pikes, he’s the real deal.

Unfortunately that leaves the most important piece, which is hiring a good HC for football. I don’t have anything nice to say about Ash, so I’ll leave it at that. Then, Hobbs decided to double down on this hire with an extension. I think this will prove to be a very costly error by Hobbs.

Reactions: RUaMoose
ADVERTISEMENT