ADVERTISEMENT

Poll: Does Ash get fired if RU only wins 2 games in 2018?

If RU only wins 2 games this season, will Ash get fired before the 2019 season?

• Total voters
I said before the season that theoretically he could go winless and I don't think he would get fired and it's all about the contract. Unfortunately we might come closer to testing that theory than I would have liked.

More likely he will let the FB program rot on the vine for atleast one more year hoping for a miracle rebound like he appears to be doing with mens soccer. That ain't working out too well.

Reactions: RUmonster
Hobbs is not getting fired and Ash will be here next year. Hobbs hired what he could afford to hire. When all the buyouts are paid and we get a full share is when we will be able to really do something.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
I was in the school in that as long as forward progress kept forwarding, Ash should have the chance to rebuild this program right. Yesterday was the car crash that stopped everything in its tracks. And now it looks like he is losing his team in the locker room.

Hobbs is not getting fired and Ash will be here next year. Hobbs hired what he could afford to hire. When all the buyouts are paid and we get a full share is when we will be able to really do something.
Biggest fraud being pushed on the fans is that when we get a full share things will be different. When we finally do get a full share the politicians, administration, unions, etc. will grab their share and only give a token back to athletics.

I was in the school in that as long as forward progress kept forwarding, Ash should have the chance to rebuild this program right. Yesterday was the car crash that stopped everything in its tracks. And now it looks like he is losing his team in the locker room.
I think a lot of people agreed that you had to look at progress in addition to the raw win-loss record.

However, getting blown out by Kansas is not progress.

I keep saying that I think people keep seeing a full share as some panacea and it's a false notion. Having more money doesn't guarantee you anything as we see countless programs with more resources misfire on their hirings.

We'll still likely be swimming in the same pool for coaches that we always do, and frankly most schools do, mid major HC and coordinators. You know what I see as the difference is that instead of paying a coach 2M a year we'll be paying a coach with largely the same type of profile 3M a year lol. That's it. An Ash type will be getting 3M instead 2M. See Fleck, Brohm, Smart, Pruitt all making 3M+ on their first contracts as P5 HC and in some instances even close to 4M. Your prospects didn't increase and it's still the same inexact science of picking that it always was.

I think a lot of people agreed that you had to look at progress in addition to the raw win-loss record.

However, getting blown out by Kansas is not progress.
Not just that I think we wasted 2 years on developing an offense with the OC choices and now I think a 3rd year by trying an offense which is likely not best suited for a school like us longer term.

He’s not going anywhere. Hobbs would have to admit he never should have extended Ash before he proved he can coach. He’s here til his contract is up. Your administration isn’t paying anymore more money to a coach that’s not here. And nobody is looking to hire Ash unless he want to go back to being a coordinator.

Reactions: scripts
No, Hobbs completely ****ed us over with a totally unmerited extension. It's just too expensive right now.
us? And you make it sound like he wanted to do "us" harm. A bad decision? Sure. Some of the rhetoric and butt hurt on this board is funny. Enjoy your Sunday and maybe forget about Rutgers football for the day.

Reactions: Doctor Worm
Ash gets fired if he does not win Four games. The media pressure,the dumpster of recruiting and empty stands,along with lack of fan support will over ride the money worries with less then four wins.Hobbs is in a no win either way,the longer he keeps Ash,the deeper the program sinks,less donations,less season tickets.He gave Ash the fateful extension..now Hobbs must fix it...somehow.

Reactions: RU#1fan and scripts
We don't have 10M to buy him out plus another 3M to replace him with the type of coach everyone wants. We are stuck with him for at least a couple more years so we somehow have to deal with it.

No, Hobbs completely ****ed us over with a totally unmerited extension. It's just too expensive right now.
I've seen the extension mentioned a lot and thought it would be appropriate to set the record straight on it. When Hobbs hired Ash, the NCAA investigation of the Flood regime was ongoing and it was written into the original contract that upon resolution, Ash would be extended for whatever period of time the program was put on probation. So when two years of probation were handed down, it automatically triggered the extension. Folks are free to debate the wisdom of that clause within the context of the initial hire, just so long as everyone understands that Hobbs didn't just choose to extend Ash when he did- he had to.

Fired and replaced with who?
You could name an interim head Coach ,even McNulty.
I've seen the extension mentioned a lot and thought it would be appropriate to set the record straight on it. When Hobbs hired Ash, the NCAA investigation of the Flood regime was ongoing and it was written into the original contract that upon resolution, Ash would be extended for whatever period of time the program was put on probation. So when two years of probation were handed down, it automatically triggered the extension. Folks are free to debate the wisdom of that clause within the context of the initial hire, just so long as everyone understands that Hobbs didn't just choose to extend Ash when he did- he had to.
is that contract public record? Would be a good read to see that and WHY it was put in the contract? Was It was done at initial contract because that is murky since there has been past reports that Ash started year #1 without a 'written contract" and only signed one in year #2..

A rookie AD gave a rookie HC a seven year contract, despite our history of failing with rookie head coaches. We are stuck with Ash for two years after this year when maybe, maybe, we eat two years of the seven. Our really only hope for improvement in the short term is to hire big time successful college coordinators and tell Ash to keep hands off. Our current pro set tight formation offense aint going to get it done.

Reactions: cicero grimes

is that contract public record? Would be a good read to see that and WHY it was put in the contract? Was It was done at initial contract because that is murky since there has been past reports that Ash started year #1 without a 'written contract" and only signed one in year #2..
The first two years were actually under a memorandum of understanding/agreement the "extension" was actually his first official contract. So by my understanding basically a 5 year contract that we're in year 1 of even though it's year 3 of his tenure.

It was reported in the Ledger at the time. I'll see if I can find it on the web...

Julie Hermann gets a gigantic payout. Ash gets a huge contract before winning. Who says the NJ resident isn't living in a terribly expensive, unaffordable and overtaxed State. NJ decision makers spend money like it grows on trees.

This is correct and I don't like that clause, it's not as if we had Miami level violations with Flood. It shouldn't have really affected any incoming coach to the point where he needed that extra time IMO.

From the article:

Ash coached his first two seasons on a signed Memorandum of Agreement -- this represents his first official contract -- that assured he would have years added to his deal equal to the term of any NCAA sanctions placed on Rutgers as a result of an investigation preceding his arrival.

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/...signs_new_5-year_contract_at_rutgers_pat.html

Reactions: czxqa
What about if we don’t win another game this season? In that scenario, I think he has to be gone. The damage of a 1-2 win season probably sets us back another 3 years or so. He isn’t going to magically learn to coach and recruit.

He's here for this season and next even if we never win another game in that span. 50/50 in three years without a win. No money to spend.

Reactions: scripts
Ash gets fired if he does not win Four games. The media pressure,the dumpster of recruiting and empty stands,along with lack of fan support will over ride the money worries with less then four wins.Hobbs is in a no win either way,the longer he keeps Ash,the deeper the program sinks,less donations,less season tickets.He gave Ash the fateful extension..now Hobbs must fix it...somehow.
We're talking about spending 15mm man all in to get him out, pay off assistants and hire a new band.

1-11 and Ash is here in 2019. A complete failure of RU footballs wins and a 1aa roster would actually help and not wasting money to get a guy out will help in 2020.

"Hey coach X. We're at the bottom, haven't totally depleted the war chest, payouts will go up soon, want to try and be GS 2.0?"

Julie Hermann gets a gigantic payout. Ash gets a huge contract before winning. Who says the NJ resident isn't living in a terribly expensive, unaffordable and overtaxed State. NJ decision makers spend money like it grows on trees.
Need to pay for those therapy visits ...

Sure why not. What exactly has he done here in his tenure? Are we any better than before he arrived (the answer is no). Its a travesty that Rutgers may be on the top 10 worst NCAA football programs.

the damage of not winning anymore games, or just 2 the rest of the year will have a huge domino effect. Any decent recruits committing next year will fall off slowly, and any players with options to transfer out will. If Ash does not win against the Buffalo's of the world and other B1G targets we should be competitive, I cannot see how you keep him. Flood did better football with his scandals and migration of players, and there were more fans in the seats. Hell, ESPN has Buffalo beating us now..... What is going on??? our home game tickets are now selling on secondary markets at $3 per ticket and on social media people are giving them away...... tell me that this does not equate to loss of millions of dollars in attendance, concession sales, retails sales, plus advertisers who don't pay up for the attendance. recruits don't sign up if you don't win, and they sure don't give you a second look when they are at the game seeing it filled less than 50% and you are getting your butts whipped.

I don't like bashing the players on these boards at all. They read the posts, their families and so do potential recruits. Commentary on the game is fine, but attacking their character is inexcusable. These losses, and blowouts are on the coaches. They manage the game, clocks, plays, and are supposed to motivate the team.

taking the hit on a buyout of Ash's contract seems like a good idea considering how bad it is now, and how much worse it will get.

Reactions: RU22
Biggest fraud being pushed on the fans is that when we get a full share things will be different. When we finally do get a full share the politicians, administration, unions, etc. will grab their share and only give a token back to athletics.
Can't do the Temple thing. The B1G has stipulations put in place that all athletic money you receive goes directly to athletics. They do this because they have television contracts to protect. Now they may take more from the academic side, but they've been doing that for decades.

They can also take their $13,357 dollars they allocate directly to athletics but I don't think anybody is going to miss that. Hell if I was athletics I'd write a check to the NJ taxpayers and say, "here NJ we don't want to burden you taxpayers any further so we're giving you your money back" and make sure every news outlet reported it.

As per @IvyLeagueFootball

Goto page 4 and read the 2nd paragraph under Compliance and Termination.

https://2michy3wy0l30d34041dt1et-wp...acts/chrisash-rutgers-employment-contract.pdf
So Flood truly is the gift that keeps on giving. The prior signed contract stipulates for every year on sanctions a year will be added to Ash's contract. The school went out and recommended harsher penalties than the NCAA has handed out in similar situations. Flood's actions led direct to those sanctions.

So not only did Flood cause the sanctions, the school itself then put itself in a worse pickle. My God, it's been nothing but self inflicted wounds for over 3 decades running.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUskoolie and RU22
So Flood truly is the gift that keeps on giving. The prior signed contract stipulates for every year on sanctions a year will be added to Ash's contract. The school went out and recommended harsher penalties than the NCAA has handed out in similar situations. Flood's actions led direct to those sanctions.

So not only did Flood cause the sanctions, the school itself then put itself in a worse pickle. My God, it's been nothing but self inflicted wounds for over 3 decades running.
Yea the extra years were related to the probation but I don't think it was necessary. We didn't have some Miami level violations or anything close. No incoming coach should have been given that kind of leeway IMO and if they wanted one then we should have moved on to the next guy.

Reactions: RUskoolie
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT