ADVERTISEMENT

Poll: Does Ash get fired if RU only wins 2 games in 2018?

If RU only wins 2 games this season, will Ash get fired before the 2019 season?

• Total voters
Nailed it..... unfortunately...

How, exactly? The publicity that will come with finally getting a full share will bring with it some level of scrutiny as to how Rutgers spends it. How will "politicians" or "unions" get their hands on it? Now, administration, that's another story ...

The reason things won't be different isn't because Rutgers won't get the money but because Rutgers never seems to make the right choice, do the right thing, take the right path, etc., etc., etc. And part of that has to do with fear of spending too much. At the same time, what high-priced coach actually worth the money would come here? Seriously? Who? We're going to have to get lucky with the next hire, however far away that is.

Having money to spend and nobody good to spend it on makes you do foolish things, and I don't want to see some mediocre clown get $4.5 million just because we have it to spend.

Hobbs should fire himself for extending Ash
That's Barchi's job.. and that's how you make sure your next AD doesn't screw you over.

But the question is.. is the fundraising success because of Hobbs or because of the Big Ten? Does the good outweigh the bad with Hobbs? I have traditionally been a guy that didn't want to fire guys like Rice or Pernetti when they seemed to have learned from their mistakes and you've already paid for those mistakes.

So maybe Hobbs has learned something about being more cautious in contract negotiations.. or maybe he hasn't. But if this season and that Kansas game are indications that Ash is just not head coach material.. why didn't we see that earlier? More importantly, why didn't Hobbs see it? It is his primary job function.

But the question is.. is the fundraising success because of Hobbs or because of the Big Ten? Does the good outweigh the bad with Hobbs?
IMO it's Hobbs because we've had the invite since late 2012 IIRC but the huge uptick in fundraising only occurred recently under Hobbs' management and this is for a school that has historically been poor at raising funds at this level.

I don't know about good outweighing bad but I don't discount the fundraising in the slightest for a school like us. We're not Michigan/Texas etc...where a crash dummy could raise funds, it's been a historically big hill to climb for us. So since he's done a very good job to me he deserves multiple bites at the apple. He's not the only AD to get them too, it happens and those ADs likely didn't have the impact on fundraising to their departments that Hobbs has had here. Mind you I'm someone who wasn't all that enthused about his hiring but he's come through wonderfully in one area so I'm always willing to change my tune for results.

IMO it's Hobbs because we've had the invite since late 2012 IIRC but the huge uptick in fundraising only occurred recently under Hobbs' management and this is for a school that has historically been poor at raising funds at this level.

I don't know about good outweighing bad but I don't discount the fundraising in the slightest for a school like us. We're not Michigan/Texas etc...where a crash dummy could raise funds, it's been a historically big hill to climb for us. So since he's done a very good job to me he deserves multiple bites at the apple. He's not the only AD to get them too, it happens and those ADs likely didn't have the impact on fundraising to their departments that Hobbs has had here. Mind you I'm someone who wasn't all that enthused about his hiring but he's come through wonderfully in one area so I'm always willing to change my tune for results.

It's Hobbs, but also, a lot of donors were sitting on their wallets waiting for Flood and Julie to get fires.

"It's a business",right ? I'm sure the logic is, no matter how much we spend on coaches we won't ever equal or surpass the big 3 in the conference, so why do it ? It's wasting money.

In our model, we fire coaches when there's no way to spin a positive message. We're not there yet. Ash still has the 'Freshman QB' card to play.

Nailed it..... unfortunately...

No he didn't that is just BS. Just like the "My tax money pays for the football program!" people, total myth.

Athletics has a completely different separate budget from Rutgers-NB, just like Rutgers-Newark, Rutgers-Camden and RBHS. You can't take money from Athletics to pay for other stuff.

Now some people will try to spin this as, they will just lower the subsidy. But WE ARE NOT SUPPOSE TO HAVE SUCH A HIGH SUBSIDY. Look at the Big Ten schools.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
He’s going to get another season.

I think at this point, since it’s so poison here and we would never attract a great coach if we fired Ash after this year anyway, the plan should be to just bottom out and go after a good coach in the $4-5 million range selling them on the full share and the complete blank slate to build from. Let Ash finish out his contact. Overreaction coach firing and hiring situations rarely work out. Emotions and desperation are too high.

I know the pain over the next couple of years will be tough but I think it’s the right way to proceed for long term success.

I think at this point, since it’s so poison here and we would never attract a great coach if we fired Ash after this year anyway, the plan should be to just bottom out and go after a good coach in the $4-5 million range selling them on the full share and the complete blank slate to build from. Let Ash finish out his contact. Overreaction coach firing and hiring situations rarely work out. Emotions and desperation are too high.

I know the pain over the next couple of years will be tough but I think it’s the right way to proceed for long term success.
can't imagine how the administration would allow this type of thinking but then again, it's Rutgers

Money to be paid out for buyouts means > no one will be fired.
Except those on a one year contract

can't imagine how the administration would allow this type of thinking but then again, it's Rutgers

Allow what kind of thinking? Patience and not overreacting? I just think hiring a new coach right now would be the worst idea. We have no attraction or bargaining power. There’s no point to going bargain basement again this year.

Nope, he'll be here unless maybe there's another set of legal/criminal issues within the program

Allow what kind of thinking? Patience and not overreacting? I just think hiring a new coach right now would be the worst idea. We have no attraction or bargaining power. There’s no point to going bargain basement again this year.
patience and overreacting? The longer he stays, the worse we will be down the road. If you think I'm wrong, I'm willing to listen to you tell me how that's not the case.
Recruiting is no better than Flood and we're 3 point underdogs to a MAC team in yr 3
coaching is abysmal
issue with the team in the locker room
off field issues
continued decline of season tix that shows no signs of slowing down

I could go on

Reactions: IL Lusciato
patience and overreacting? The longer he stays, the worse we will be down the road. If you think I'm wrong, I'm willing to listen to you tell me how that's not the case.
Recruiting is no better than Flood and we're 3 point underdogs to a MAC team in yr 3
coaching is abysmal
issue with the team in the locker room
off field issues
continued decline of season tix that shows no signs of slowing down

I could go on

Hiring coaches from a point of weakness will never net you a good coach. If you fire Ash this year and hire another $2 million guy, unless you get extremely lucky, we'll be right back where we are. Nobody worth anything is going to actually want this job right now.

I hope I'm wrong but I've seen this coaching cycle repeated over and over. Look at Florida right now. You keep hiring from a weak point when your team is at a low point and look what you get. Look at Texas. You don't want to get locked into that vicious cycle.

With the new facilities built in two years, the full BIG share, the Flood issues completely behind them, I think you would have a really attractive school for a $4-5 million guy who is really bought into the idea of building something here.

no way

Hobbs is not getting fired and Ash will be here next year. Hobbs hired what he could afford to hire. When all the buyouts are paid and we get a full share is when we will be able to really do something.
Ive said this many times. Getting a full share will not improve spending. It just reduces the subsidy that Rutgers will pay into athletics

Reactions: superfan01
Hobbs is not getting fired and Ash will be here next year. Hobbs hired what he could afford to hire. When all the buyouts are paid and we get a full share is when we will be able to really do something.
Biggest fraud being pushed on the fans is that when we get a full share things will be different. When we finally do get a full share the politicians, administration, unions, etc. will grab their share and only give a token back to athletics.
very valid concern!

I was in the school in that as long as forward progress kept forwarding, Ash should have the chance to rebuild this program right. Yesterday was the car crash that stopped everything in its tracks. And now it looks like he is losing his team in the locker room.
You summed it up perfectly, at least for me.

he is not coming back at 1-11...I am hearing the same arguments that I heard about Eddie Jordan..when the loses pile up and they are by 40-50 or more points in the last 5 games with an empty stadium, you will see, everyone will

You really think rutgers would can him after just 3 seasons? Even if it is deserved

it's not about the record. it's about improvement and competing. We could go 2-10 and lose by 35+ most weeks, or we could go 1-11 but play relatively close games (<20 deficit) against everyone incl the PSU, UW, UM and MSU and Hobbs could spin this as progress.

If we get routed more often than not, and can't keep the big boys under 50-60, and we top out at two win,Hobbs would have little choice but to fire him.

Most people don't buy tickets to see blowout losses every week.

Hobbs needs to find a way out of the Ash extension contract.

We could go 2-10 and lose by 35+ most weeks, or we could go 1-11 but play relatively close games (<20 deficit) against everyone incl the PSU, UW, UM and MSU and Hobbs could spin this as progress.
Rutgers needs to drop football if they sees this as "progress" after a 4-8 season. They must suck it up and fire everyone if they get less then 4 wins.

Reactions: redking and BlockR
1-11 yes...2-10 probably keep, 3-9 he is definitely here
this is probably the case .sad to think a 2-10 record after 2-10 and 4-8 years won't cause Ash to be terminated, but Rutgers always looks at the payout first and fires for performance only when other factors involved

Ive said this many times. Getting a full share will not improve spending. It just reduces the subsidy that Rutgers will pay into athletics

The full payout will be bigger than the subsidy. Also, news flash...you aren't supposed to have a massive subsidy.

Rutgers issues are not coming from a failure to spend, they come from the fact the school makes poor choices.

The full payout will be bigger than the subsidy. Also, news flash...you aren't supposed to have a massive subsidy.

Rutgers issues are not coming from a failure to spend, they come from the fact the school makes poor choices.
New Flash: The full payout minus what Rutgers is already getting is not bigger than any Athlectic deficit in the last 3 years. Rutgers will not be making an ADDITIONAL $38 million (2017 deficit) from the Big Ten once fully vested. And lets not forget the payback of a $20 million loan from the Big Ten.

New Flash: The full payout minus what Rutgers is already getting is not bigger than any Athlectic deficit in the last 3 years. Rutgers will not be making an ADDITIONAL $38 million (2017 deficit) from the Big Ten once fully vested. And lets not forget the payback of a $20 million loan from the Big Ten.
Both Hobbs’ and Ash’s awareness of the potential NCAA sanctions is important to note today as university officials are being widely criticized for extending Ash’s initial five-year, $11 million contract last November.

As the Scarlet Knights were concluding a 4-8 campaign that included three wins in Big Ten play in Ash’s second campaign, Rutgers tacked on an additional two years on top of the three he had remaining. The deal guaranteed Ash an additional $5.1 million for the 2021 and 2022 seasons.

Among national pundits, the move was considered necessary considering head football coaches rarely head into the third year of a five-year contract unless the school is lukewarm about the coach’s future.

As it turned out, Rutgers was contractually obligated to do so as w

I went over this in the other thread and the article you posted and the quote you gave was actually misleading when I looked back at past articles.

This is the quote you gave.

After the Fiscal Year 2016 report to the NCAA revealed Rutgers athletics had a $38.5 million shortfall in its $83.9 million budget that was made up by $27.2 million in support from the university's operating budget and $11.4 million in student fees

That makes it sound we're getting 27 million in institutional support and 11 million in student fees to make up the 38 million short fall.

But this is an excerpt from a previous article which makes more sense with regards to how the 38 million is actually derived and jibes with all the numbers in the projections and the loan.

In order to compensate for a shortfall of about $39 million in expenditures during the 2016 fiscal year, Rutgers athletics took out what amounts to a $10 million loan from the university.

That loan, which Rutgers officials say is an advance on future Big Ten revenues, is on top of the $28.6 million subsidy. The Rutgers athletics program received $17.1 million from the university's general fund, $11.4 million in student fees and $29,163 in state government support.

This makes more sense in that 17 million is direct institutional support as has been show in projections, 11 million is student fees (which aren't going anywhere) and 10 million from a loan.

From a later article that 10 million loan actually ended up being 6.1M

It's actually a $6.1 million loan
In late-January, Rutgers AD Pat Hobbs told NJ Advance Media the athletics department took out what amounts to a $10.495 million loan from the university’s internal bank.

Well, that loan is actually $6.1 million, according to the university’s transition plan document.

J. Michael Gower, the university's executive vice president for finance, confirmed that loan total in an exclusive interview with NJ Advance Media on Monday evening.

Gower said KPMG, the auditors handling the Rutgers athletics Fiscal 2016 report, factored the $6.1 million loan with other figures, including a $1.7 million cost attributed to a change in accounting procedures.

“In that $10.4 million, $6.1 million was the loan,’’ Gower said. “The balance of that were transactions with closing out the department and various other things associated with our new budget model. But didn’t have to do with the loan. It was primarily the loan but not exclusively.’’

There are extra annual loans projected up through 2021 which will end up having principal of 18M and interest of about 5M so 23M total in loan repayment to the university.

So to simplify, what really needs to be eliminated is the 17M direct institutional support and a 23M dollar loan. The support is projected to go to zero by the time we get a full payout and the loan will be serviced/run off in time. The student fees will still remain and the budget is going to go up, just not dollar for dollar with our B10 revenue increases.

I went over this in the other thread and the article you posted and the quote you gave was actually misleading when I looked back at past articles.

This is the quote you gave.

After the Fiscal Year 2016 report to the NCAA revealed Rutgers athletics had a $38.5 million shortfall in its $83.9 million budget that was made up by $27.2 million in support from the university's operating budget and $11.4 million in student fees

That makes it sound we're getting 27 million in institutional support and 11 million in student fees to make up the 38 million short fall.

But this is an excerpt from a previous article which makes more sense with regards to how the 38 million is actually derived and jibes with all the numbers in the projections and the loan.

In order to compensate for a shortfall of about $39 million in expenditures during the 2016 fiscal year, Rutgers athletics took out what amounts to a $10 million loan from the university.

That loan, which Rutgers officials say is an advance on future Big Ten revenues, is on top of the $28.6 million subsidy. The Rutgers athletics program received $17.1 million from the university's general fund, $11.4 million in student fees and $29,163 in state government support.

This makes more sense in that 17 million is direct institutional support as has been show in projections, 11 million is student fees (which aren't going anywhere) and 10 million from a loan.

From a later article that 10 million loan actually ended up being 6.1M

It's actually a $6.1 million loan
In late-January, Rutgers AD Pat Hobbs told NJ Advance Media the athletics department took out what amounts to a $10.495 million loan from the university’s internal bank.

Well, that loan is actually $6.1 million, according to the university’s transition plan document.

J. Michael Gower, the university's executive vice president for finance, confirmed that loan total in an exclusive interview with NJ Advance Media on Monday evening.

Gower said KPMG, the auditors handling the Rutgers athletics Fiscal 2016 report, factored the $6.1 million loan with other figures, including a $1.7 million cost attributed to a change in accounting procedures.

“In that $10.4 million, $6.1 million was the loan,’’ Gower said. “The balance of that were transactions with closing out the department and various other things associated with our new budget model. But didn’t have to do with the loan. It was primarily the loan but not exclusively.’’

There are extra annual loans projected up through 2021 which will end up having principal of 18M and interest of about 5M so 23M total in loan repayment to the university.

So to simplify, what really needs to be eliminated is the 17M direct institutional support and a 23M dollar loan. The support is projected to go to zero by the time we get a full payout and the loan will be serviced/run off in time. The student fees will still remain and the budget is going to go up, just not dollar for dollar with our B10 revenue increases.
You have to agree on the total shortfall as $38.5 million. Its a simple equation. Income vs expenditures, right? What is misleading is the loan. Instead of the school paying for it directly the went the loan route for 2017. So what happens in 2018? Another loan to make it look like its only $17.
Also projections are for increased income
Where the hell is that going to come from. Certainly not ticket sales.

In the end Rutgers getting a full share isnt going to change how much Rutgers will be spending overall on Athletics, certainly not the giant windfall so many think is coming. It is basically a non event.

Rutgers needs to drop football if they sees this as "progress" after a 4-8 season. They must suck it up and fire everyone if they get less then 4 wins.

I agree...I will not be renewing season tix if RU goes 2-10 and he comes back..what is the point,it will be easy to jump back in again IF the program shows signs of flirting with 500..I would expect a HUGE drop off in season ticket sales next season

Reactions: mdh2003
I agree...I will not be renewing season tix if RU goes 2-10 and he comes back..what is the point,it will be easy to jump back in again IF the program shows signs of flirting with 500..I would expect a HUGE drop off in season ticket sales next season

And the threat of this is the only thing that will move the needle. The budget projections have ticket revenue and contributions planned as relatively stable. Hard to see that happening for FY 2020 (next football season) if the team goes 2-10 this year and Ash stays. Basketball revenue increase will not make up for the football drop.

5,000 season ticket drops is worse than paying the Ash guaranteed salary.

Hobbs created a real problem for himself by making Ash's entire salary guaranteed for seven full years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT