• They are meeting my expectations that I had during training camp

Votes: 136 63.6%
  • They are not meeting my expectations that I had during training camp

Votes: 40 18.7%

• Total voters

ScarletStateofNJ

All Conference
Jul 6, 2011
A quick pulse check on the coaching staff after a bad road loss to a Top 10 team and two come from behind wins at home.

A quick pulse check on the coaching staff after a bad road loss to a Top 10 team and two come from behind wins at home.
My only disappointment is that I thought in press coverage, we would make it more difficult for opposing wideouts to get off the line of scrimmage. We're not doing it as much as I would like and imo, that's allowed each of our opponents to sustain drives by throwing and completing passes beyond the 1st down markers. I definitely like some of the new offensive plays.

Reactions: drewbagel423
Like many young coaching staffs in the P5, these guys are energetic and effective recruiters. That obviously is only sustainable with on-field progress. This is not a 1 year fix, though.

One thing that is has emerged is that this offense really is not that hard to scheme against in its current composition. They've realized that there's really only two Big Ten threats on that side of the ball: Grant and Martin, and Mehringer is logically trying to put the ball in their hands as much as possible.

On D, this scheme is supposed to stop the run first and rush the passer second. Every team has been able to run up the gut on RU so far- troublesome. Also, I've seen too many LBs in coverage against WR. That's resulted in quick TDs in every game so far. Ash & co have to fix things schematically or else they won't be able to come back against BiG teams.

These guys work the players harder than Flood did and will be in better shape. But the BiG is about talent and roster depth. Hard to outcoach those two things consistently.

Last edited:
RU was in a tailspin last year. I didn't expect much on the field this year. Just look at LB position - there wasn't much there. Walk-ons, no experience, undersized... Ash is used to filet mignon players and now he has to serve up old pizza

Right now Incomplete, though I'd say they have proven to be neither prodigously ingenious nor incompetent.

If they keep the season respectable and land the bulk of current 2017 verbals come Feb of next year, they will get an A from me.

I expected them to be overwelmed, and they are. However __"meeting my
expectations in the poll" could mean they sucked and I expected so, or
they are doing fine and I expected it. So the polls' questions don't
tell anything.

My only disappointment is that I thought in press coverage, we would make it more difficult for opposing wideouts to get off the line of scrimmage. We're not doing it as much as I would like and imo, that's allowed each of our opponents to sustain drives by throwing and completing passes beyond the 1st down markers. I definitely like some of the new offensive plays.
I too thought our press would be more aggressive. I also dont see a lot of disguised blitzes especially from our LBs which are reportedly fast though inexperienced. But this DC has been a major upgrade from everyone since Schiano given the lack of talent.

RU was in a tailspin last year. I didn't expect much on the field this year. Just look at LB position - there wasn't much there. Walk-ons, no experience, undersized... Ash is used to filet mignon players and now he has to serve up old pizza

Who cares what he is 'used to'? If he is a great coach he will coach what he has. No one is expecting blood from a stone, but gimme a break...based on star ratings our team has similar or more raw talent than Houston, San Diego state, any number of teams that are doing much better than us. So let's get off the 'there are no playmakers' crap. If ash really is for real he'll get these guys playing up, and no more of this 21 point 1st quarter crap. If we get blown out this week by a very good but not top 25 lowa team this week, than I think it is fair to be concerned.

Reactions: JQRU91
He got the two Ws that he "had to", next three games will say a lot more about how much he can do with what we have.

Who cares what he is 'used to'? If he is a great coach he will coach what he has. No one is expecting blood from a stone, but gimme a break...based on star ratings our team has similar or more raw talent than Houston, San Diego state, any number of teams that are doing much better than us. So let's get off the 'there are no playmakers' crap. If ash really is for real he'll get these guys playing up, and no more of this 21 point 1st quarter crap. If we get blown out this week by a very good but not top 25 lowa team this week, than I think it is fair to be concerned.

Sorry but RU is a boring team to watch - just don't have the horses. First game of the season RU captain OL is getting rag-dolled. LBs had no experience and were getting lit up like JUCOS. Certainly a good coach (like TCU's) can win with 2 * players but they don't do it overnight. Football isn't basketball. You need to recruit your system, build players up, make the system second nature with meaningful reps etc. Right now the QB got the job (according to coach) because he's the one least inclined to make mistakes. So at a lot of positions you're playing not to lose. They probably haven't done that at OSU in a long time.

Last edited:
Although I expected it to be a long season what concerns me is that Ash is a defensive coach and I expected to defense to be much improved. I have not seen that improvement yet, but it could be that there are just no linebackers that are talented enough. I fully expected the offense to struggle big time and it has at times, but I think that is a product having a square peg QB trying to fit this round hole offense.

Three things stand out: 1) players are in good shape, & play hard 2) staff willing to play other QBs, 3) defensive adjustments during the games have been good.

It will be a few years till we have B1G talent and depth.
These are three important areas for us to be successful in, w/ our current talent

Compared to last month
Meeting my expectations
QB not so much.

Oh wait, this isn't the haiku thread is it?

Ask this again in 2018. The rebuild job is a little bit bigger than I thought originally.

To me they have made a few glaring mistakes to go along with alot of great things to move this program forward. But before the season I said that this is a brand new coach he will make some mistakes in the beginning. As a result, he has met my expectations.

Some people think that a B1G time coach from a big time program is all of a sudden gonna resurrect Jesus on the 4th of July. These people are unrealistically nuts. A lot of these guys are flood recruits, and players. He has barely one on this team. He needa his own recruits and players for a few seasons. Have some damned patience.

Same. Not playing with his kids. If he avoids blowouts like last year I'll be impressed but I can't see how anyone can judge this staff after 3 games. But you are all experts.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
Grade: C+

You apparently either had overtly high expectations or thought he inherited a different roster.

Many people here have been saying for years that Flood's recruiting was killing the program. I understand those who didn't want to believe it or didn't want to criticize RU recruits, but the reality is we entered a tough conference with recruiting that not only failed to improve but went backwards. That isn't a recipe for success.

I'm hopeful Ash will show signs of promise this season. So far, I haven't seen much, BUT I do believe the new offense relies on a QB that we haven't seen and the defense doesn't have enough playmakers to make a difference. With any luck, we could see the defense improve as the year goes on and might see someone like Gio or Tylin take over the reins and show us what the offense is supposed to look like.

One of the most positive things is watching our CBs press and often go 1on 1 and doing fairly well. The other thing on defense has been intelligent play. On offense, no dumb penalties...
It has to start somewhere and often when rebuilding, it's in fundamentals. Anyone judging negatively, have not been paying attention the the little things that had to change first

It's very, very early but honestly I don't know how anyone can't be gratified to see a few things that are promising, especially compared to what we've seen in the past: 1. a staff that makes adjustments, especially on defense; maybe not as fast as we'd like so far but when they finally make adjustments they seem to shut down opposing offenses pretty well 2. An offense that still sputters a lot but definitely shows a big play capacity we are not used to but which is vital in today's game if you're not Alabama. QB play is not improving much, if at all, but I saw a team gelling at times against new mexico in a way that it did not against washington. Quality of competition probably was part of the reason but maybe they are showing the kind of progress that happens under good coaches.

I expected to be 2-1 after 3 games, so they are meeting the expectations. I also thought we would be getting better play from the QB position, so I've tempered my own expectations for the rest of the season.

The poll is perfectly legit, but not particularly fair to the coaching staff. Can you run the same poll again in December?
Agreed! The poll doesn't really tell you what people are thinking based on the narrowness of the question. What does it tell us if 3 people pick exceeding expectations when all 3 may have had very different expectations. My expectations were relatively low given the newness of the systems and change of culture. I expected everything to start off slowly.

ADVERTISEMENT