ADVERTISEMENT

POLL--If RU v. Md Game is At Yankees Stadium, Will You Go?

Will You Go the Maryland Rutgers Game at Yankees Stadium

• I go to all home games and I WILL go

Votes: 103 40.4%
  • I go to all home games and I WILL NOT go

Votes: 104 40.8%
  • I don't usually go to games, but I WILL go to Yankee Stadium

Votes: 21 8.2%
  • I don't usually go to games, and I WILL NOT go to Yankee Stadium

Votes: 27 10.6%

• Total voters
I have season tickets but don't go to all games, depending on my personal calendar. The decision to move the game to YS will have no bearing on whether I attend.

"...and these are men who know where they are and care, but don't drink."

Rutgers will have to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt just how lucrative the game would be for our coffers ala the MetLife game vs. Army. Then I'd go but I wouldn't be happy about it.

What a fan base! With you guys, it's all about ME not the TEAM. Way to have their back. I don't like the decision to move the game, but I'd sure as hell show up to support the team and the program.
Listen, many of us have obligations beyond Rutgers football. We are not big tailgaters. We show up an hour before kickoff and leave at the end of the game. On many game days, this is a challenge. Tack on an extra 2 hours of commuting, and it takes it off the table for us.

I don't know. I have season tickets and almost never miss a home game. But I'd have to think about whether to attend a game at Yankee Stadium. If I'm forced to buy the ticket as part of my season package, I'd actually be less inclined to attend. I would feel cheated that Rutgers is forcing me to buy a game 40 miles away, and I'll probably just try to sell my tickets to recoup as much of the ticket cost as possible. I'd also have to consider the start/end time of the game, my seat location, and other factors to determine if I want to attend.

Reactions: Block R
Listen, many of us have obligations beyond Rutgers football. We are not big tailgaters. We show up an hour before kickoff and leave at the end of the game. On many game days, this is a challenge. Tack on an extra 2 hours of commuting, and it takes it off the table for us.
wa wa wa- glad you can fit the game into your busy lifestyle

What a fan base! With you guys, it's all about ME not the TEAM. Way to have their back. I don't like the decision to move the game, but I'd sure as hell show up to support the team and the program.

Agreed. If you normally go to the games, I can't understand not going to this one to support the team. Sure there may be a few people who would be affected by the extra commute time, assuming they don't tailgate and don't live north of about Newark (the commute for anyone north of there is likely a wash). Anyone who typically invests much of the day around RU home games and tailgating has no excuse, in my opinion, for not showing up. People should make their displeasure known in ways other than not attending the game.

Reactions: RU Husky
For several reasons, I gave up my season tickets this year. I've opted to look to go to one home and one away game IF they fit my schedule and are interesting match-ups. I couldn't go to either Pinstripe Bowl so I was looking forward to the since moved RU/Army game. Now I have a chance to see the new Yankee Stadium.

I don't have an adequate answer in this poll.

My answer is I go to most home games. Can't go to them due to distance, so I pick the best ones. This has now become the worst "home" game on the schedule. I'm not flying to the East Coast to see us play on a baseball field in the Bronx

Go or don't go I don't care. Why does anyone care what the next guy will do? Everyone has their own schedules to deal with. However, if this is part of our package, and it likely will be, why would that cause you to be more upset? Maybe they will make this an option game who knows. I will be there unless a wedding or something pops up.

I hope it does not turn into a 50/50 fan split. Having said that, if they return the favor at Camden Yards I can see a boat load of RU fans making the trip down. We will get a lot of non season ticket holders for both games IMO. It's all good and my first choice is always to play in Piscataway just for the record.

For some fans, going to Yankee Stadium would take longer than going to Maryland for an away game. And Maryland is a lot better atmosphere, experience, and a nicer drive.

Yankee Stadium sucks for pretty much everything I love college football for. Tailgating is nonexistent. Sight lines suck. Prices in the stadium are outrageous. The travel time is probably 2.5x or 3x more than my normal drive to Rutgers, not to mention more expensive due to outrageous tolls. It's bad all the way around for a college football fan.

If we are going to sell our soul do it at Met Life. Yankee Stadium is just an awful idea.

Reactions: mildone
Having said that, if they return the favor at Camden Yards I can see a boat load of RU fans making the trip down.

Ironically, I am more likely to go to a Rutgers-Maryland game at Camden Yards than Yankee Stadium. At least I can turn the game at Camden Yards into a mini get-away weekend in Baltimore. I don't need a get-away weekend in the Bronx.

Putz. It's a reality for people who live further south and have other stuff going on in their lives.
That's fine . You either make a commitment to Rutgers football or you don't. If you can't, then lower your voice and stop trying to take on some role as voice of this program. You want to be a fan on your terms and that's fine too, just STFU.or go away.

Edit: Sorry for the anger. It's been a lousy day and you piss me off.

I will be there supporting the team. Hell Im going to Seattle Minneapolis college park and Columbus but I'm not gonna go to the Bronx to support my team. Small time fan base folks once again it shows

I will be there supporting the team. Hell Im going to Seattle Minneapolis college park and Columbus but I'm not gonna go to the Bronx to support my team. Small time fan base folks once again it shows

Or small time decision moving home game?

Reactions: mildone
That's fine . You either make a commitment to Rutgers football or you don't. If you can't, then lower your voice and stop trying to take on some role as voice of this program. You want to be a fan on your terms and that's fine too, just STFU.or go away.

Edit: Sorry for the anger. It's been a lousy day and you piss me off.
Nobody is trying to be the voice of the team. LOL. Figured a poll would be a good way to get a sense of what the fan base will do. Right now, 55% of the season ticket holders say they will not go. Maybe those sales will be picked up by folks that don't have season tickets and want to see a game in NYC. In the end, and I think you admitted as much, we are losing an edge by playing in Yankee stadium.

Making a commitment to Rutgers football made me laugh out loud. It's really not that important to us in the grand scheme of things, but if RU was going to do this annually at Yankee stadium and not make it optional to season ticket holders, I would probably bail out as a season ticket holder. We enjoy the family outing aspect of going back to campus, doing a little tailgating if time permits and seeing our seat neighbors.

If Yankee stadium game was treated as an optional game, that works great for me. It's one less weekend we have to plan around with the kids' athletic schedules and other commitments.

But if your attitude is the attitude of Rutgers athletics, they may lose a lot of season ticket holders.

IF I piss you off so much, don't read or respond to my posts, or put me on ignore. Or just relax. I a casual fan like most folks who finds this board highly entertaining and informative. Have a nice weekend. [cheers]

It depends . If we have a Rutgers team we can be proud of and is playing for something meaningful in November I will sure as hell be there. If the team stinks again , I won't go.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
Ironically, I am more likely to go to a Rutgers-Maryland game at Camden Yards than Yankee Stadium. At least I can turn the game at Camden Yards into a mini get-away weekend in Baltimore. I don't need a get-away weekend in the Bronx.

You can turn a game into the Bronx into superior mini-getaway weekend.

Friday
arrive friday at the Marriott Marquis in Times Square.
Have early dinner at Carmines.
Go see Hamilton or similar on Broadway.
Drinks on a rooftop bar

Saturday
brunch at the Mandarin Oriental overlooking Central Park
Head out to the Game via the 6th Avenue D Train
Dinner at Wolfgangs in Times Square

Sunday

Brunch at the Marriott
Massages at the Green Tree Spa

Head Home

I'm sorry folks, toughen up, get off you a** and go to the game. Rutgers is not going to do this every year. This is a great opportunity to partner with one of the greatest sports organizations in the world and expand the Rutgers brand. This is a no brainer and must.

Reactions: NickyNewark51
I don't consider Pat Hobbs a small time decision maker (as someone above implied). So far he has proven to be a big time decision maker. I also have no idea of his pros and cons for making this decision, but I'm sure his resources are better than ours. So I'll go along with Mr. Hobbs on this one (but still watch the game on TV like I always do).

Friday
Drinks on a rooftop bar

Saturday

Sunday

Brunch at the Marriott

Head Home

But I don't have to do that. There is no need to spend money for me to stay in Times Square to attend a football game at Yankee Stadium or do any of the activities on your list. If I want to see a Broadway play, I can see a Broadway play any time I want; I saw one last weekend, in fact. I can have dinner at Carmines (or a better place) any time I want. I can have dinner at Wolfgangs in Times Square, or Somerville, any time I want. I live in Central NJ; I can go to Manhattan any time I want, and then go home at night without staying in a hotel.

So a football game at Yankee Stadium doesn't provide any of that stuff for me. All it means is I see one less game at Rutgers Stadium and have one less tailgate at Rutgers Stadium, and I'm forced to go to the Bronx at a time that might not be convenient for me.

I don't consider Pat Hobbs a small time decision maker (as someone above implied). So far he has proven to be a big time decision maker. I also have no idea of his pros and cons for making this decision, but I'm sure his resources are better than ours. So I'll go along with Mr. Hobbs on this one (but still watch the game on TV like I always do).

Mr. Hobbs didnt make this deal. Ms. Hermann did.

May be too late for Hobbs to back out.

Those who don't go simply cause this added an hour of commute to your Saturday schedule are bad fans.

This game is important next year..one of our few winnable big ten games. Don't spout your bull**** about how loyal a fan you are if you can't make a trip into the city, park in a parking deck, and support our team, cause you're just part of the terrible side of our fanbase.

Reactions: needmorecowbell
There is nothing collegiate about Yankee Stadium. In fact if we are going to do this and be New York's team why not do it where New York's teams play football. Why not Met Life and why Yankee Stadium?

If true, then Hobbs should come out publicly and say that he had no choice but to honor the previous agreement, but he is not in favor of playing games off campus and it will not happen again under his reign,

Per Duggan, Hobbs said hes reviewing the terms..

Nothing signed yet, but all indications are Hobbs doesnt want to burn bridges with Yankees and may be forced to honor it.

As much as I enjoy Rutgers football, my friends and I see each other so infrequently, that the tailgate is now more important to me than the game. It is literally the only time I see some of these guys. I'm not going to commute over 2 hours to not tailgate and hang out with my friends. We will most likely meet at my house, BBQ in the back yard, and watch the game on TV. And we'll sell our tickets to pay for the meat and beer.

Reactions: NickyNewark51
If true, then Hobbs should come out publicly and say that he had no choice but to honor the previous agreement, but he is not in favor of playing games off campus and it will not happen again under his reign,

Exactly. Two days ago they were talking about considering the possibility of playing and moving a regular season game there. That went over like a lead balloon. Now its oh wait a contract was already signed. Whole thing smells.

Reactions: Scarletwoman
Exactly. Two days ago they were talking about considering the possibility of playing and moving a regular season game there. That went over like a lead balloon. Now its oh wait a contract was already signed. Whole thing smells.

Contract isnt signed yet..

Again, Hobbs doesnt want to burn bridges with the Yanks..so of course, while a guest there..hes gonna say those things.

Friday
Drinks on a rooftop bar

Saturday

Sunday

Brunch at the Marriott

Head Home
Al are you kidding me this fan base wants dollar dogs and stay in their tailgate until the game starts so they can drink the beer and food they bring because they don't like spending the green backs and you think they are gonna go to the Marriott in NYC lol

Reactions: Local Shill
Would he rather burn bridges with the Yankees OR the majority of his fanbase????????

I am not in favor of the game at Yankee Stadium, but it would be extremely small time for RU to worm out of commitment to appease some fans that do not want to attend. Have to look at the bigger picture of how it will reflect on Rutgers. Many of us are venting now, but when it comes down to it, if we can make it work, we will go to Yankee Stadium. Hoping there is an option to take the ferry from Highlands. That will make for a pleasant day and experience. Just will not be able to get a mudpack and cucumber treatment on my eyelids sitting next to @rutgersal at the Spa.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT