ADVERTISEMENT

Poll is out. I guess another "down" season for the B1G?

As expected and weaker than last year overall. Lots of solid above-average teams with no exceptional ones. I’d be surprised if more than two make the Sweet Sixteen.

So, last year, the AP preseason poll had #2 MSU, #15 Minnesota, #19 Northwestern, and #20 Purdue (and receiving votes #33 Wisconsin, #37 Maryland, #39 Michigan).... but finished their final poll with #4 MSU, #7 Michigan, #10 Purdue, #17 OSU (and receiving votes #36 Nebraska).

While they had MSU and Purdue identified... they were complete whiffs on the rest.

Reactions: BillyC80
To me at the beginning you have..
1. Michigan State
2-12. everyone else, except....
13-14. Rutgers and Minnesota

Similar conference strength overall. Last year had legit top 10 teams in Michigan State and Purdue (and Michigan at the end of the year)... Nobody like that this year but the middle and bottom are stronger.

As expected. Lots of solid teams with no exceptional ones. I’d be surprised if more than two make the Sweet Sixteen.
1. Michigan State

I thought I read that Minnesota got a player or two back from injury (Coffey plus another) and couple of good transfers. I thought they would be top half of the league this year

I thought I read that Minnesota got a player or two back from injury (Coffey plus another) and couple of good transfers. I thought they would be top half of the league this year

i think you are right...not sure why that site above has them in the rutgersphere

Reactions: Mr Magoo
kenpom has it different
1. michigan state
2-13 everyone else
14 rutgers

msu 13 wins
pur wis 12
mich ind psu md 11
iowa neb osu 10
nw min 9
ill 7
ru 4

kenpom has it different
1. michigan state
2-13 everyone else
14 rutgers

msu 13 wins
pur wis 12
mich ind psu md 11
iowa neb osu 10
nw min 9
ill 7
ru 4

Our AdjO is 228th our AdjD is 75th

If we could generate some offense then we move up...our D is ok.

Reactions: Scangg
1. Michigan State
Analysts are somewhat high on Minnesota. May be a bubble team or a NIT squad. Not me staying this but certain analysts.

As expected and weaker than last year overall. Lots of solid above-average teams with no exceptional ones. I’d be surprised if more than two make the Sweet Sixteen.
If we are saying that the majority of teams are average, then there is no reason we cannot play in the postseason. We play alot, and I mean alot, of those average teams at home.

When looking at the power conferences we are still so far from average. We have so far to come on offense.

I would like to be competitive in most games and knock off 1/2 of those "average" teams at home.

Big Ten will significantly outperform these expectations. I expect the league to be the 2nd or 3rd best when all is said and done. I have the following teams as better than a year ago: Michigan, Indiana, Maryland, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Minnesota and Illinois. I only believe Penn State and Nebraska will be worse than a year ago.

Reactions: DECKRU
Didn’t Michigan lose a lot?

Primary losses were Wagner (27.6 min, 14.6 ppg, 7.1 rb), Abdur-Rahkman (34.9 min, 12.9 ppg, 3.2 ast), and Robinson (25.9 min, 9.8 ppg). They had a bunch of younger guys who saw time, though (former 4-star soph Simpson, 4-star freshmen Brooks and Poole) and are bringing in a strong class (four more 4-star players). Doubt they'll finish outside of the Top 35, as the preseason pool seems to believe. [Edit: Duh. That was *last* year's preseason poll.]

Last edited:
Didn’t Michigan lose a lot?

They did, but UM returns Matthews and Simpson and adds a terrific freshman class. And Beilein. Not saying they are going to win the B1G tournament again AND go the Nat'l Championship game, but I think during the regular season/conference season they will be better, if only slightly.

kenpom has it different
1. michigan state
2-13 everyone else
14 rutgers

msu 13 wins
pur wis 12
mich ind psu md 11
iowa neb osu 10
nw min 9
ill 7
ru 4
At the top, you have Michigan State.
Then there’s everyone else.
Then there’s 50 feet of crap.
Then there’s us.

Reactions: Vegas pj
If we are saying that the majority of teams are average, then there is no reason we cannot play in the postseason. We play alot, and I mean alot, of those average teams at home.

I said there will be a lot of “above average” teams. I don’t expect us to be one of them. We are clearly in the bottom 25% of the league. Sure, we can exceed expectations but I’m just hoping to escape the basement this season.

Primary losses were Wagner (27.6 min, 14.6 ppg, 7.1 rb), Abdur-Rahkman (34.9 min, 12.9 ppg, 3.2 ast), and Robinson (25.9 min, 9.8 ppg). They had a bunch of younger guys who saw time, though (former 4-star soph Simpson, 4-star freshmen Brooks and Poole) and are bringing in a strong class (four more 4-star players). Doubt they'll finish outside of the Top 35, as the preseason pool seems to believe.

Michigan is #19 in the AP poll, #24 in KenPom, and #20 in Bart Torvik's T-rank so I don't think anybody is predicting them outside the top 35.

On a related note, I'm not sure how anybody can project MSU in the top 10 considering they lost 2 lottery picks and replace them with no top 50 recruits and only 2 in the top 100.

Michigan is #19 in the AP poll, #24 in KenPom, and #20 in Bart Torvik's T-rank so I don't think anybody is predicting them outside the top 35.

On a related note, I'm not sure how anybody can project MSU in the top 10 considering they lost 2 lottery picks and replace them with no top 50 recruits and only 2 in the top 100.

:facepalm:

Don't mind me, I was looking at last year's preseason poll when I said that. >.<

Reactions: PaKnight
From this long range, it looks like a lot of games where we will be single digit dogs.

Minnesota is expected to be much better, not saying its going to happen but expectations are high, I would be shocked if they are in the bottom 3 or 4 again

You would really be shocked?

Pitino had 1 year where they peaked at the end and had a very good season. Most other years they are on the decline as we get to March

Minnesota is expected to be much better, not saying its going to happen but expectations are high, I would be shocked if they are in the bottom 3 or 4 again

KenPom's projection has them #60 overall which is vastly improved from their #117 rank to finish last season. Unfortunately for them that's still 3rd worst in the conference.

So it seems quite possible they could be dramatically improved and still finish way down the ranks in the Big Ten.

Big Ten will significantly outperform these expectations. I expect the league to be the 2nd or 3rd best when all is said and done. I have the following teams as better than a year ago: Michigan, Indiana, Maryland, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Minnesota and Illinois. I only believe Penn State and Nebraska will be worse than a year ago.
So how many B1G teams do you predict go to the NCAA Tournament?

So how many B1G teams do you predict go to the NCAA Tournament?

6. Maybe 7. Sure as heck isn't going to be 4 again.

And I forgot to add Purdue to the teams that won't be as good as a year ago.

Last edited:
Polls are fun but a LOT depends on how these teams perform.
At any rate I am BIG TEN supporter!
:boxing::boxing:[banana]:uzi::cool2::uzi:[banana]:boxing::boxing:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT