ADVERTISEMENT

Poll: MVP of 2021 RU Basketball Team

Who is the MVP of 2021 Rutgers Basketball Team?

• Myles Johnson

Votes: 112 47.5%
  • Geo Baker

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • Ron Harper Jr.

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Jacob Young

Votes: 125 53.0%
  • Montez Mathis

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Paul Mulchay

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Caleb McConnell

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Cliff Omoruryi

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters

RutgersMO

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 24, 2001
Rutgers & NJ @ Heart
Today's performance was gutty, inspiring, frustrating...but we ground it out.

Pike has been trashed on this board, even after bringing us more success than we've had since the Waters ran up Hill in the early 2000's.
I would have included him as a choice but thought it best to just include the players.

Here's to Rutgers. Let the bells ring.

MO

Reactions: Terry_2426
Someone needs to be counted on to score every game. Hello JY!! Today is a good example.

Johnson is 1B with >10 rebounds per game.

avoiding singling anybody out as most valuable,
but will make comments towards RU tourney(s) success going forward -
Myles may be the person we can least afford to lose, but
JY will keep us in the game with anybody in the tournament
RHJ is the key to RU advancing deep into the tournament
Geo is still the guy you want taking the last shot (and may have more heroics left)
Caleb, Paul, Tez are the glue to keep it all together

avoiding singling anybody out as most valuable,
but will make comments towards RU tourney(s) success going forward -
Myles may be the person we can least afford to lose, but
JY will keep us in the game with anybody in the tournament
RHJ is the key to RU advancing deep into the tournament
Geo is still the guy you want taking the last shot (and may have more heroics left)
Caleb, Paul, Tez are the glue to keep it all together
I can picture “one final moment” with a Geo step back to beat Gonzaga

Young is the most valuable player because he is the best defender and most consistent scorer.Johnson is a very good defender but his offensive skills are mostly dunks which depends on other players passes above the basket.The weakness of the team was scoring .Young won the Minnesota game in overtime by scoring ,passing and defense.

Young is a difference maker. But if we had to sit one of them for our next game, I think we'd have a better chance playing without Young than without Johnson.

Reactions: theRU
Myles is our most important player by far. He holds everything together on defense and is the only consistent rebounder.

I voted for JY and MJ. I also voted for Caleb if he doesn’t come back are rotations are completely different and I could see where we could have lost a few more games because of that

Myles Young

Jacob Johnson

Johnson Young

Young Johnson

But you doesn't has to call him Johnson?

MO
Funny.. but I constantly called Young "Johnson" for some reason that I cannot quite figure out. It's not like I confused him for Myles.. it was just a name thing.. a glitch n my head.

I think Young has the ability to take us to another level in any given game.... but Johnson's presence takes us to our baseline level in the first place.

Remove Young, and it puts pressure on other guards to step up their productivity (which several have shown in the past they can do). Remove Johnson, and it puts pressure on Reiber or Doucoure to perform at a level above what we've seen them do.

Against high major competition, we're 10-2 when Johnson's played at least 26 minutes, and 1-8 when he's played less (and the one win was when he gave us 25 min). We need him on the floor for us to succeed - which to me gives him the edge as being "most valuable".

On the flip side, against high major competition, we're 7-7 with Young when he's played 26+ min and 4-3 when he's played less.

Reactions: theRU
Jacob Young, but it's not by much. I think this team is SO balanced that there are many choices throughout the season. Young seemed to step up when the chips were down and really played his best basketball during the "down" times. And I'm not the biggest Young supporter, but he always left his game on the court and wears his emotions on this sleeve. I actually wish he had one more year - has the potential to be a 2nd round player.

ADVERTISEMENT