ADVERTISEMENT

Poll: OT: Do you tip gas station attendants in NJ?

OT: Do you tip gas station attendants in NJ?

• No

Votes: 225 93.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 17 7.0%

• Total voters

ScarletStateofNJ

All Conference
Jul 6, 2011
OK, on my drive down to AC with my NYC girlfriend, we stopped on the Parkway to get gas at a reststop. Being from NY, where they pump their own gas mostly, she say that she occasionally tips the guy that pumps her gas with a couple of bucks.

I've lived in NJ for almost all of my life and have never tipped gas station attendants. Poll question below: do you occasionally or frequently tip gas station attendants for pumping your gas?

Never have.

In high school I pumped gas at a Texaco one summer. We were old school. Washed your windows & offered to check your oil or put air in your tires. For those extras, my only tips that summer were $5, a can of Bud & a Penthouse magazine. This was the mid-90's for what it's worth

My brother and I just discussed this as well. I have never tipped since I always use the card and don't typically have small bills on me. He does.

OK, on my drive down to AC with my NYC girlfriend, we stopped on the Parkway to get gas at a reststop. Being from NY, where they pump their own gas mostly, she say that she occasionally tips the guy that pumps her gas with a couple of bucks.

I've lived in NJ for almost all of my life and have never tipped gas station attendants. Poll question below: do you occasionally or frequently tip gas station attendants for pumping your gas?
Get rid of that girlfriend.

Why? Because NJ is one of two states in the country that is full service? Typically the gas service I get is terrible.

Holy crap NO! I don't tip "baristas" either so let's make that very clear lol!

You mean otherwise unemployable social justice warriors that want $15 and hour to make coffee drinks?!

PS: why is this even a question!?!

I do if they wash front and back windows. Alsoif the poor guy has to stand in the rain.
You have the guy wash your windows in the rain?

No tipping in NZ. Not waiters, not cabbies, not barbers, not bell staff. And we don't want to get it started, either.

True story: When we moved here and our stuff finally arrived, we hired a local firm to deliver to our rental home. It was the owner of the truck/firm and his two workers. They worked like dogs carrying stuff up tricky stairwells all day. The owner and I struck up a friendly conversation and I learned his wife worked at the local Cadbury's chocolate factory. So, at the end of the day I said, "Listen I know we don't tip here in NZ, but you guys have worked so hard, and I come from Jersey where we basically tip anything that moves." He replied, "It's my company, mate, so I couldn't possibly take a tip, but if you really want, something small for the boys would be OK I guess." I gave each of them $20 and they thought they were in heaven. The couldn't believe it. And then? Two days later we come home and there are three bags of chocolates from Cadbury's on our doorstep. Yep, the guy tipped us!

You mean otherwise unemployable social justice warriors that want $15 and hour to make coffee drinks?!

PS: why is this even a question!?!

Agree. It's absurd. I always say "wait, you don't make server minimum wage, right?" ...typically I get a very "scoffy" look. Oh well.

"it's not tipping I believe in...it's over tipping" .....Vincent Antonelli

I tip my usual gas attendant..... and everybody else who moves.... I get my pizza delivery
in record time, all the time.

"it's not tipping I believe in...it's over tipping" .....Vincent Antonelli

I tip my usual gas attendant..... and everybody else who moves.... I get my pizza delivery
in record time, all the time.

Right up there with Johnny dangerously as one of my favorite underrated "mob" movies! Love it!

Last edited:
NOPE ... except years ago used to - for one guy - at a station where the attendant was a cheerful guy who would always offer to check the oil & would wash the front & back window - and your outside rear-view mirrors.

sometimes there is a very small difference between a regular tip and a nice size tip that the person remembers....be it, the person that cuts your hair, if you have some one that does it, or that pizza delivery guy....it could be a couple of bucks, but it makes a difference to that person.....

I do, but only one guy at my local town station. I buy him a lottery ticket and then have a good laugh about never winning. It's more of a fun thing than tipping. But it could become a great tip too.

I know a guy who works part time at a Quick Check gas station. He told me he gets pissed if he doesn't get tipped. I looked at him and told him, in 45 years of driving, I have never once tipped an attendant. He called me cheap, and I don't give a crap.

Never have.

In high school I pumped gas at a Texaco one summer. We were old school. Washed your windows & offered to check your oil or put air in your tires. For those extras, my only tips that summer were $5, a can of Bud & a Penthouse magazine. This was the mid-90's for what it's worth
Same, except early 80's. I never got tipped for just pumping gas, only when I checked/added oil, or did air, etc.

I don't tip for pumping gas FWIW.

Never have.

Someone handed you a Penthouse?

Hopefully none of the pages were stuck together...

Reactions: beaced
I worked at a gas station in the 80s too. Never got a tip and it never crossed my mind that someone should tip me. This from someone who was also waiting tables at the same time. The difference was that at the restaurant I got paid well below minimum wage -- I think it was $2 an hour.

wow...I am amazed how cheap some people are. I think karma will circle around some of you guys 2x LOL
I pump my own gas here in Fla but I would tip a buck if someone else pumped to NOT get out of my vehicle. I pumped gas in NY as a kid and a buck here and there would have come in handy.

When I felled several small trees in my front yard last month , surprisingly the local garbage guys picked it up....I slipped the 2 guys $5 each....if I had a tree service pick it up it would have been $100. I was happy to save $90. They were happy to get $5 for cold drinks on a hot day.
And I get surprisingly good garbage pickup ever since.

Reactions: wheezer
wow...I am amazed how cheap some people are. I think karma will circle around some of you guys 2x LOL
I pump my own gas here in Fla but I would tip a buck if someone else pumped to NOT get out of my vehicle. I pumped gas in NY as a kid and a buck here and there would have come in handy.

When I felled several small trees in my front yard last month , surprisingly the local garbage guys picked it up....I slipped the 2 guys $5 each....if I had a tree service pick it up it would have been $100. I was happy to save $90. They were happy to get $5 for cold drinks on a hot day.
And I get surprisingly good garbage pickup ever since.

The difference is that in FL, someone pumping your gas would be a luxury. In NJ, it's law. You tipped the garbage guys to go above and beyond and to do you a favor. There's nothing above and beyond about pumping gas as required by NJ law. The guys pumping gas don't provide a luxury service, and most can barely do the job required, let alone do anything that could be considered above and beyond or worthy of a special "thanks."

Tips are forms of "thanks." You tip a doorman because they do you many favors over the course of the year, you tip a waiter/waitress for serving your meals and putting up with your annoying kids, you tip a bellhop for carrying your heavy luggage because you packed too much crap. You don't tip someone who puts a gas nozzle in your tank and walks away to watch tv for 10 minutes.

No, but there is a Sunoco in my town where all the guys are nice and attentive, will take gas cans out of your trunk to fill, etc. so, I'll make a point to always go there for gas and propane even if is not the cheapest.

Worked at a Hess one summer in high school. We were affectionatley known as Hessticles. We would wash front and rear windshields and headlights and check the oil while wearing a white uniform we had to keep clean. Got tips about half the time. Granted this was 35 years ago!

I worked at a gas station in high school off route 80 so there were a ton of out of staters. I would receive a few tips a week but it was usually when the total was $19.50 and he paid with a $20. Two notable tips were from 50 cent as he was going from a concert I believe in Scranton back to NYC and some random old guy gave me $100 after bsing with me the day after my car was stolen.

But to answer your question, I've never tipped once but I guess some people do.

This was about 15 years ago btw..

I think I might start a new thread, "OT - Do you tip the clerk at the MVC?" Or maybe, "OT - Do you tip NJT conductors when they punch your train ticket?"

Some people top just to show appreciation for a job well done. No one is saying you have to. Why do so many of you seem angry or offended that others top where you don't?

Reactions: brista21
I think I might start a new thread, "OT - Do you tip the clerk at the MVC?" Or maybe, "OT - Do you tip NJT conductors when they punch your train ticket?"
I think: "Do you tip the IRS when they take your payment?" would be better.

Considering it's literally the job they are paid to do--no I don't tip. On the rare occasion the guy starts cleaning my windshield, I'll tip a couple dollars for going above and beyond.

Considering it's literally the job they are paid to do--no I don't tip. On the rare occasion the guy starts cleaning my windshield, I'll tip a couple dollars for going above and beyond.

If they guy cleans my windshield and I asked for it, I don't tip. It's part of his job.

If they guy cleans my windshield and I didn't ask for it, I don't tip. Why the hell is he doing something to my vehicle that I didn't ask for or give permission to do? In other industries, that could get you fired or sued.

tl;dr

I do not tip gas station attendants.

If they were to clean the windshield/back window (which I haven't had happen in several years) I'll tip a couple bucks. Otherwise, no. As for baristas (as for the go to college crowd what do you think a large percentage of them are doing) I'll tip the change. Sometimes it's a quarter, other times closer to a full dollar. It goes appreciated and for me I prefer the good karma of giving something a little extra.

ADVERTISEMENT