ADVERTISEMENT

Possible end of football conference divisions (link)

i insult you because you claim we have and can objectively pick the 4 best teams every yr, even with minimal inter conf play every yr.

that's just crazy.

if we could do that, then we don't need a playoff at all, and can just declare a champ, a runner up, and 3rd and 4th place, without any games at all.

that said, if you posses that skill, you shouldn't be wasting time here, and should be on some sports betting site all day making your billions.
Reading comprehension is probably not one of your strengths. I keep repeating to you that winning on the field is the objective evidence to pick the 4 best teams. You may not like that but there it is. You answered none of the questions I put to you with any objective facts. And by the way, I am not picking the teams, it is a collegium of college football experts who meet weekly to study metrics and compare team achievements. In the seven years of the CFP, please identify all the glaring errors these folks have made in teams they have excluded.
Your moniker may refer to you picking winners but it certainly does not pertain to picking them in this argument.

Reading comprehension is probably not one of your strengths. I keep repeating to you that winning on the field is the objective evidence to pick the 4 best teams. You may not like that but there it is. You answered none of the questions I put to you with any objective facts. And by the way, I am not picking the teams, it is a collegium of college football experts who meet weekly to study metrics and compare team achievements. In the seven years of the CFP, please identify all the glaring errors these folks have made in teams they have excluded.
Your moniker may refer to you picking winners but it certainly does not pertain to picking them in this argument.

i can only assume you're just trolling at this point.

there literally is no objective way to definitively assertain the best 4 teams every yr, when there is little to no inter conf play between top echelon teams that yr.

saying you can 1,000 times won't make it so.

your unbending devotion to 4 teams borders on bizarre, unless you are shilling for Bama, OSU, Clemson, Oklahoma, USC, ND, and you want to make sure no one else ever crashes the party too often for recruiting reasons.

if you want the champ determined on the field instead of in the polls, then the more teams involved, the greater the chance the champ is determined on the field.

arguing otherwise is extremely flawed thinking.

Last edited:
Further, you did not answer the question in what year were the 4 best teams not included? The answer is never.
The answer is the year 13-0 UCF was snubbed and an Alabama team that didn't even win its own division and didn't beat a single ranked team all year was given the spot instead. The results after the fact are immaterial. That year proved that Alabama and Clemson will be in every year. As others have said people are tired of a playoff that every year is Tide, Tigers and Buckeyes plus one. The recruiting advantage for these three schools from their annual showcase is tremendous. We're not staying at four.

idiots are in charge.

4 teams was beyond idiotic, as you can't objectively call the winner a true champ if all major conferences aren't allowed to participate in the playoff.

therefore it's still just a "mythical" champion, just as much as it ever was.

secondly, 12 teams takes the same number of weeks to play out as 16 would, so beyond idiotic not to just go to 16 now instead of a few yrs after going to 12, and the btching over the much greater unfair subjectivity of 12 vs 16.

is it just not possible to have non idiots in charge of things?
Given the current state of politicians, I think the answer is definitely no.

SG, am I the only one who thinks Missouri is just not a fit for the SEC ? Seems like North Carolina State or Virginia Tech seem like a better match to me.

FCS does it with 16 and it works well..
Actually, FCS does it with 24 - or at least they did. They cut it back to 16 this year, in their spring schedule. Not sure if they will be reverting to 24 going forward.

idiots are in charge.

4 teams was beyond idiotic, as you can't objectively call the winner a true champ if all major conferences aren't allowed to participate in the playoff.

therefore it's still just a "mythical" champion, just as much as it ever was.

secondly, 12 teams takes the same number of weeks to play out as 16 would, so beyond idiotic not to just go to 16 now instead of a few yrs after going to 12, and the btching over the much greater unfair subjectivity of 12 vs 16.

is it just not possible to have non idiots in charge of things?
Agree but it was worse before this when it was completely subjective.

I still think 8 makes the most sense. The champs of the power 5 and the next best 3 teams.

Actually, FCS does it with 24 - or at least they did. They cut it back to 16 this year, in their spring schedule. Not sure if they will be reverting to 24 going forward.
16 seems more manageable unless maybe you start reducing weeks in the season.

16 seems more manageable unless maybe you start reducing weeks in the season.
24 works in FCS since they play an 11 game season, no conference championships, and no byes. The season is over by mid-November. It would not work in FCS as currently constituted.

i can only assume you're just trolling at this point.

there literally is no objective way to definitively assertain the best 4 teams every yr, when there is little to no inter conf play between top echelon teams that yr.

saying you can 1,000 times won't make it so.

your unbending devotion to 4 teams borders on bizarre, unless you are shilling for Bama, OSU, Clemson, Oklahoma, USC, ND, and you want to make sure no one else ever crashes the party too often for recruiting reasons.

if you want the champ determined on the field instead of in the polls, then the more teams involved, the greater the chance the champ is determined on the field.

arguing otherwise is extremely flawed thinking.

Your failure to comprehend the fact that adding teams does not make the playoff less subjective but actually more so is startling. You are asking the process which you claim is imperfect to actually have to subjectively select 8-12 more teams to participate. Instead of teams with one or no losses you want to subjectively rank and compare teams with 2-4 losses for the sole purpose of adding teams. If you were serious about this, which I do not think you are, you would only want a 6 team playoff with 5 conference champs and the only team selected would be one at large to minimize the subjective element you so distrust
Also, you fail to understand that college football is an oligarchy, not a democracy. Since 1980 only three teams that you would not consider football factories ( BYU, GA Tech and Colorado) have won the championship and those were in down years. The independents that won were ND, Penn State and Miami, all who are in the P5 today either completely or affiliated. Letting in teams like UCF or Liberty is not going to change that. In fact it may have the opposite effect with players from the best teams with high draft grades opting out of the playoff where now they have to play 4 games to be a champ instead of two. The playoff may become what we are getting with bowl season, the best kids sit.
Right now 1 loss in the regular season can eliminate you from the playoff, making every game in essence a playoff game. Now teams with 3-4 losses will be considered. How doe that not devalue the regular season?

SG, am I the only one who thinks Missouri is just not a fit for the SEC ? Seems like North Carolina State or Virginia Tech seem like a better match to me.
About the same number of people say Arkansas should not be in the SEC.

I can promise you that since we won 7 SEC titles this year(none in football), and with the money the SEC pays out each year, Arkansas is NOT leaving the SEC.

Missouri has some issues that might send them packing down the road though.

ADVERTISEMENT