ADVERTISEMENT

Postgame thoughts - Columbia edition

Degaz-RU

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Dec 19, 2002
1. Coming out party for Cam Spencer. He was mostly advertised as a sharpshooter, but he is soooo much more than that. He is a scorer, shooter, distributor, and terrific defender. Kid gets in the passing lanes and has tenacious hands, and got 6 count ‘em 6 steals. Yes, just one game, but he took over for that 5-6 minute stretch at the start of the second half and basically put the game out of reach. How about this stat line: 17 points, 5 assists, 6 steals, 2 rebounds. W-O-W.

2. Nice game from Aundre Hyatt. Looked much more confident and composed, didn’t force anything, was our best rebounder, and went 2-4 from three point range on his way to a 12 and 10 double/double.

3. Paul was Paul. Early on, he was looking for Cliff down low, and if Cliff was covered, Paul simply got into the lane and either took it to the hole or dished. Solid game with 10 and 5 assists.

4. My goodness the on-ball defense from Mag was stupendous. I don’t know how the other team is going to score with Mag, Caleb, and Spencer playing perimeter defense and Cliff protecting the rim. Also chipped in with 10 and 5 rebounds.

5. Cliff had a weird night. Hit a nice three, had a couple of dunks, but went 1-4 from the line, and in the second half he completely yipped two straight mid-range jumpers. Columbia was doubling him every time the ball was on his side of the floor, and he ended up rushing those couple shots. Still had 10 and 9, plus 2 blocks.

6. We shot a higher percentage on threes (8-20) than on foul shots (5-14). That cannot happen. Ever. Again.

7. Simpson is lighting quick and just gliiiiiiiiides. His shot was off in the first half, but he was also looking to distribute. The crowd around me was extra juiced when he finally hit that mid-range jumper in the 2nd half. He also had some really nice assists.

8. Pike played Twin Towers in two separate sequences - once with Cliff and Dean, and then again with Dean and Woolfolk. AW was very active in the post, and he had that nice drive down the lane and finished.

9. This team is going to be so much better when Caleb returns, not just because he’s so good, but because it will make our bench that much better, with either Mag or Hyatt coming off the bench.

10. It’s pretty clear that the rotation is going to be:

STARTERS:

Mulcahy

Spencer

McConnell

Hyatt OR Mag

Cliff

PRIMARY BENCH:

Mag or Hyatt

Simpson

Reiber

DEPTH:

Woolfolk

Miller

END OF BENCH:

Chol

Palmquist

1. Coming out party for Cam Spencer. He was mostly advertised as a sharpshooter, but he is soooo much more than that. He is a scorer, shooter, distributor, and terrific defender. Kid gets in the passing lanes and has tenacious hands, and got 6 count ‘em 6 steals. Yes, just one game, but he took over for that 5-6 minute stretch at the start of the second half and basically put the game out of reach. How about this stat line: 17 points, 5 assists, 6 steals, 2 rebounds. W-O-W.

2. Nice game from Aundre Hyatt. Looked much more confident and composed, didn’t force anything, was our best rebounder, and went 2-4 from three point range on his way to a 12 and 10 double/double.

3. Paul was Paul. Early on, he was looking for Cliff down low, and if Cliff was covered, Paul simply got into the lane and either took it to the hole or dished. Solid game with 10 and 5 assists.

4. My goodness the on-ball defense from Mag was stupendous. I don’t know how the other team is going to score with Mag, Caleb, and Spencer playing perimeter defense and Cliff protecting the rim. Also chipped in with 10 and 5 rebounds.

5. Cliff had a weird night. Hit a nice three, had a couple of dunks, but went 1-4 from the line, and in the second half he completely yipped two straight mid-range jumpers. Columbia was doubling him every time the ball was on his side of the floor, and he ended up rushing those couple shots. Still had 10 and 9, plus 2 blocks.

6. We shot a higher percentage on threes (8-20) than on foul shots (5-14). That cannot happen. Ever. Again.

7. Simpson is lighting quick and just gliiiiiiiiides. His shot was off in the first half, but he was also looking to distribute. The crowd around me was extra juiced when he finally hit that mid-range jumper in the 2nd half. He also had some really nice assists.

8. Pike played Twin Towers in two separate sequences - once with Cliff and Dean, and then again with Dean and Woolfolk. AW was very active in the post, and he had that nice drive down the lane and finished.

9. This team is going to be so much better when Caleb returns, not just because he’s so good, but because it will make our bench that much better, with either Mag or Hyatt coming off the bench.

STARTERS:

Mulcahy

Spencer

McConnell

Hyatt OR Mag

Cliff

PRIMARY BENCH:

Mag or Hyatt

Simpson

Reiber

DEPTH:

Woolfolk

Miller

END OF BENCH:

Chol

Palmquist
Woolfolk may need to be moved to make it Dean/Woolfolk in primary. He's going to play more minutes in games depending on matchup and situation

STARTERS:

Mulcahy

Spencer

McConnell

Hyatt OR Mag

Cliff

PRIMARY BENCH:

Mag or Hyatt

Simpson

Reiber

DEPTH:

Woolfolk

Miller

END OF BENCH:

Chol

Palmquist

Great points all around. I am looking forward to Caleb's return, but I hope he does not try to do too much offensively. His most important contributions to this team will be his elite defense, rebounding and facilitating others.

ADVERTISEMENT