Shooting percentage by our opponents

Illinois 54.0
Ohio state 46.6
Purdue 49.2
Iowa 46.4
Michigan state 46.9
Ohio state 51.0

This is the problem....period

We outscored Illinois and Purdue, almost outscored Iowa, and didn’t do enough offensively against Ohio state twice and Michigan state

Clearly ...we need to get back to our identity and defend and rebound first. Cant count on scoring 80 every night in this league

And ...I think cliff being out has changed Myles as a player. Not only missing cliff minutes to keep fresher...but we don’t have Shaq Carter this year. But you have to find a way to compensate

And, frankly, I don’t like at all how we have let two teams take our lunch from us and not responded until the second team was up 22 with 8 minutes to go

We need to circular the wagons and get after it defensively firer ...rebound second ...

And, the minute we get cliff back...we need to go to nine guys and NO ONE plays a second more than 28 minutes in the game.

I want guys going balls to the walls on the court and sweating their balls off. Collectively ...all of Guys just aren’t working it hard enough

Time to circle the wagons this week and get a win the right way against Wisconsin

Shooting percentage by our opponents

Illinois 54.0
Ohio state 46.6
Purdue 49.2
Iowa 46.4
Michigan state 46.9
Ohio state 51.0

This is the problem....period

We outscored Illinois and Purdue, almost outscored Iowa, and didn’t do enough offensively against Ohio state twice and Michigan state

Clearly ...we need to get back to our identity and defend and rebound first. Cant count on scoring 80 every night in this league

And ...I think cliff being out has changed Myles as a player. Not only missing cliff minutes to keep fresher...but we don’t have Shaq Carter this year. But you have to find a way to compensate

And, frankly, I don’t like at all how we have let two teams take our lunch from us and not responded until the second team was up 22 with 8 minutes to go

We need to circular the wagons and get after it defensively firer ...rebound second ...

And, the minute we get cliff back...we need to go to nine guys and NO ONE plays a second more than 28 minutes in the game.

I want guys going balls to the walls on the court and sweating their balls off. Collectively ...all of Guys just aren’t working it hard enough

Time to circle the wagons this week and get a win the right way against Wisconsin

yup our identity is d and dominating the boards. Do that and the offense will come.
Focus on shooting and 3s and we get 3 bad losses.

Defense rebounding and hustle. Saw it from Caleb Paul and Jacob today. We need to see it from everyone... especially the senior leader Geo and best player in Harper. Cliff will help too with defense rebounding and effort. Those big dunks help with energy as well. Myles can play looser and come off the bench again which seems to work better for him.

We need to get out and run to score easy buckets. Its something we did with ease when we were hot. It gets people confidence and a rhythm which helps with the half court and shooting 3's.

When you don’t bring the intensity and effort to force turnovers, you can't get out and run. When you dont get stops, you can't run. When you dont rebound the ball, you can't run.

Well, last year it was the Wisconsin home game that got us on track. Hopefully we can do that again. With Cliff back, & a week of team rest, I am optimistic

And yet we held Iowa to 15 points below their PPG average and Michigan State to 8 points below theirs. Like sure we can point to opponents shooting percentage but defense really hasn’t been that bad. Problem has been on the offensive end. Fact is, we relied heavily on Ron Harper Jr to carry a big load on offense, and since his injury he just hasn’t been able to. Since the ankle injury he’s gone for 13, 13 and 11.

This is back to back clunkers where the team was out hustled in every facet of the game. It's absolutely mind boggling how we didn't circle the wagons today.

And yet we held Iowa to 15 points below their PPG average and Michigan State to 8 points below theirs. Like sure we can point to opponents shooting percentage but defense really hasn’t been that bad. Problem has been on the offensive end. Fact is, we relied heavily on Ron Harper Jr to carry a big load on offense, and since his injury he just hasn’t been able to. Since the ankle injury he’s gone for 13, 13 and 11.

Rebounding has, out rebounded by 20,14,20 in the three bad losses. Goes hand in hand with defense.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
Rebounding has, out rebounded by 20,14,20 in the three bad losses. Goes hand in hand with defense.
In the Michigan State game we had 10 more field goal attempts and shot like 30% from the floor. This game we had 17 more field goal attempts. Obviously the defensive rebounding numbers are going to be lopsided when we’re taking a ton more shots and shooting for a low percentage. Which brings me back to my point, problem is on the offensive end.

Wrong. Defense has been bad. Really bad.

The OP really said it all
He didn’t though. We’ve put up 45 and 68 over our last two, I don’t care how good you play on the defensive end, that’s not going to win games, We’ve also held our last 3 opponents to either below, or exactly at their average PPG. I don’t understand how the takeaway is we need to improve on defense.

He didn’t though. We’ve put up 45 and 68 over our last two, I don’t care how good you play on the defensive end, that’s not going to win games, We’ve also held our last 3 opponents to either below, or exactly at their average PPG. I don’t understand how the takeaway is we need to improve on defense.

Yes, our offense has stagnated too, but if you can’t see we’re being ABUSED on the defensive end, I don’t know what to tell you.

Defense and rebounds lead to transition offense.

Offense sells tickets and defense wins championship

I’ll stick with that

You won’t lose many games giving up less than 70.

Go take a hard look at our shooting percentage defense last year in big ten play last year and then circle back to see thR we are out of whack

Unfortunately ...Kenpom, bartovik and coach P would agree strongly with me

Offense sells tickets and defense wins championship

I’ll stick with that

You won’t lose many games giving up less than 70.

Go take a hard look at our shooting percentage defense last year in big ten play last year and then circle back to see thR we are out of whack

Unfortunately ...Kenpom, bartovik and coach P would agree strongly with me
We still would’ve lost our last two. Putting up less than 70 on the offensive end is never going to get it done. That is the biggest issue here.

Michigan state was the only game in the last Six that can say it was a lack of offense that cause the loss

Go look at the points Allowed, the shooting percentage

We have a defensive issue right now

If we had played enough defense in the last six ...we would have won at least 4 of the last 6, instead of being lucky to have won 2 of 6

Michigan state was the only game in the last Six that can say it was a lack of offense that cause the loss

Go look at the points Allowed, the shooting percentage

We have a defensive issue right now

If we had played enough defense in the last six ...we would have won at least 4 of the last 6, instead of being lucky to have won 2 of 6
So holding the 3rd best offense in the country who averages 92.4 PPG to 77 is a bad defensive performance in your book?

So holding the 3rd best offense in the country who averages 92.4 PPG to 77 is a bad defensive performance in your book?

They went 47% from the floor and scored
On the last six possessions of the game

We played decent defense, but We didn’t do enough on defense to win the game Against a top 5 team

Shooting percentages don’t lie

Plus ...last year

We gave up 65.6 ppg in 20 big ten games on 39.2 shooting defense

Over 20 games

Last six game giving up 76-77 ppg on 48% shooting

It’s clear the defense isn’t as good

The numbers match the eye ball test on the main issue

They went 47% from the floor and scored
On the last six possessions of the game

We played decent defense, but We didn’t do enough on defense to win the game Against a top 5 team

Shooting percentages don’t lie
Agree to disagree then, from my vantage point I think a lot of the problems are stemming from how inept they’ve looked on offense. They’re going cold for extended periods of time, and when shots aren’t falling their intensity evaporates and it makes it a lot harder to get setup on the defensive end.

To think that just a few short weeks ago this team was undefeated and up 16 against Ohio State. Someone who makes a lot more money than I do needs to come up with some answers.

the team is not working for theirs. We have a bunch of players looking for stats and highlights reels and reading their press clippings

Agree to disagree then, from my vantage point I think a lot of the problems are stemming from how inept they’ve looked on offense. They’re going cold for extended periods of time, and when shots aren’t falling their intensity evaporates and it makes it a lot harder to get setup on the defensive end.

To think that just a few short weeks ago this team was undefeated and up 16 against Ohio State. Someone who makes a lot more money than I do needs to come up with some answers.

Absolutely .

Except you just nailed one important point and I’ll quote You

“When shots aren’t falling Their intensity drops”

That right there is the exact problem.

There will be days when your shots drop, and some when they don’t. But defense effort....you can. Bring that effort effort every night and if tin play good defense...you can win a few games ugly

With the defense we are playing now ...we can’t win an ugly game.

The program needs to get back to bring the insanity to ots identity fast ...defense and rebounding.

the team is not working for theirs. We have a bunch of players looking for stats and highlights reels and reading their press clippings

Been saying for a week it’s time for them to get off their phone and get to work. They will like their phone at the end of the year a lot better if they do that now ....

2020 KPOM Adjusted Def was no. 6 (elite)

2021 KPOM Adjusted Def as of now is ranked 43.

What concerns me is rebounding. There were multiple times where rebounds were falling to the floor with RU looking at each other (most times, OSU seized the opportunity, sometimes we got lucky and they had already fallen back on defense. We could have been out-rebounded even more than we were.

2020 KPOM Adjusted Def was no. 6 (elite)

2021 KPOM Adjusted Def as of now is ranked 43.

What concerns me is rebounding. There were multiple times where rebounds were falling to the floor with RU looking at each other (most times, OSU seized the opportunity, sometimes we got lucky and they had already fallen back on defense. We could have been out-rebounded even more than we were.

Look at our lineup. Who is going to get rebounds? Our center and then who? Ron Harper has shown he really wants no part of getting dirty in there this year and he's supposed to be our "4". And then who after that? This team isn't tough and have shown they are not willing to do the dirty work necessary this year to be successful at this level. In plain English, they stink right now.

Look at our lineup. Who is going to get rebounds? Our center and then who? Ron Harper has shown he really wants no part of getting dirty in there this year and he's supposed to be our "4". And then who after that? This team isn't tough and have shown they are not willing to do the dirty work necessary this year to be successful at this level. In plain English, they stink right now.
That’s been the biggest difference for me. Last year everyone would make an effort to clean the boards, how many times would we say plays where even one of our guards would somehow pull down a seemingly impossible offensive rebound in a crowd. This year we haven’t had that, guys just aren’t crashing the boards like they used to. We used to dominate the offensive rebound/second chance point numbers and that’s been absent the last few games.

Reactions: nukem
we were outrebounded by 20..no it wasnt great
Overall rebounding numbers are misleading in that game. We forced 18 turnovers and finished the game with 10 more FG attempts, and also shot an atrocious 30% from the floor in that game, which is going to swing the defensive rebounding totals in their favor. That has nothing to do with our defense. The thing that’s concerned me regarding rebounds is on the offensive end. We used to consistently finish games ahead on both offensive boards and second chance points and that hasn’t been there

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Agree with those stating rebounding...go back and watch our first 6 games..by rebounding we created fast break transitions and we have lost that.

also, it wasn’t until 8mins left that we changed our defensive strategy to go zone and full court press which changed the momentum...too bad it was too late! That is in Pike. To me I would mix up the defense going forward in games and watch is win.

With the game Caleb had today, I’d like to see him start over Geo next week. Will give us better defense and rebounding, and probably more offense since Geo has been struggling.

Reactions: Shell21 and cm_13
With the game Caleb had today, I’d like to see him start over Geo next week. Will give us better defense and rebounding, and probably more offense since Geo has been struggling.
Agreed, I’ve really liked what he’s been showing on the defensive end, and the shot started falling for him today too.

I want to see Mag in the rotation if he is healthy and he can defend. If our captains continue to not exert the effort required on the defensive end they need to sit. Even if it hurts is short term.

ADVERTISEMENT