ADVERTISEMENT

Prediction for 2020-2021 for Rutgers Basketball

Scarlet Shack

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2004
On the verge of the precipice of the announcement of our 2019-2020 NCAA bid without the closure on competing in the games on what would have happened to conclude our season....i offer this prediction for Rutgers basketball for 2020-2021

Playing basketball the fourth weekend in March, 2021.

Preferable in the Barclay’s center in Brooklyn ...but I’ll take Mineapoois, Denver or Memphis

I’m All in on Rutgers basketball and this group of players...who will be remembered years from now as the group that put Rutgers basketball back on the map ...

Let’s Go RU!

Need to bump this up.
My prediction is based on Cliff O coming, Douc and Kiss transferring, and the rest of the roster (sans Yeboah and Carter graduating) returning. Plus our other new recruits of course.
OOC: 9-2. We will beef up the schedule next year - winning against some good teams but losing a few as well. Seton Hall will be a win.
Conference: 14-6. 8-2 at home and 6-4 on the road.
We also win two games in the Big Ten tourney.
Overall before dance: 25-9. Four seed.

People, I know it's easily looking like some think Rutgers is now gonna enter real stratospheres. Counting hoops interests and new opportunities

Big Ten
Wisconsin 13-7
Ohio St. 13-7
Michigan St. 12-8
Purdue 11-9
Illinois 11-9
Indiana 11-9
Penn St. 11-9
Iowa 11-9
Michigan 10-10
Rutgers 10-10
Northwestern 8-12
Minnesota 7-13
Maryland 6-14
Nebraska 5-15

This is stolen from Torvik:
http://barttorvik.com/trankpre.php

Also that exact combo of records is impossible; someone has to win one more game. I hope it's us!

We finish second in the B1G 10 and win the conference tournament with 26 wins. We get a three seed (Jerry Palm) but the Monday before the tournament a predatory alien race from another galaxy attacks the Earth and the NCAA tournament is cancelled.
Ok I have not laughed so hard in a while...thanks!!

Need to bump this up.
My prediction is based on Cliff O coming, Douc and Kiss transferring, and the rest of the roster (sans Yeboah and Carter graduating) returning. Plus our other new recruits of course.
OOC: 9-2. We will beef up the schedule next year - winning against some good teams but losing a few as well. Seton Hall will be a win.
Conference: 14-6. 8-2 at home and 6-4 on the road.
We also win two games in the Big Ten tourney.
Overall before dance: 25-9. Four seed.
If we finish with that conference record and get two B1G Tournament wins, doesn’t that mean we win the tournament?

Here is what will happen when Rutgers notches its 21st win next year...

giphy.gif

If we finish with that conference record and get two B1G Tournament wins, doesn’t that mean we win the tournament?
We would have a double bye and lose in the finals. Wisconsin would have needed to win vs 8/9 winner, then 4/5, then 2/3 (if seeding held).

Reactions: Eagleton96
Assuming everyone returns that is expected and we stay health I think next years team will even reach higher levels.

They had something stolen from them and that will just keep them hungry. Geo started it but this team truly wants to break the tournament drought not for themselves, but for the University.

If we add Cliff, I don't think it is crazy to say we can win the B1G. Mich st. is losing langford and Winston. Wisconsin loses Pritzel, Maryland loses Cowen and likely Sticks. Oh st. loses weston. Penn st loses stevens.

Illionois andespically Iowa are looking like threats but even those 2 could lose Donsuma and Garza.

Big Ten will be a blood bath next year again but there is not reason to think we can't win it. The RAC is a fortress and this team is only going to improve.

We finish second in the B1G 10 and win the conference tournament with 26 wins. We get a three seed (Jerry Palm) but the Monday before the tournament a predatory alien race from another galaxy attacks the Earth and the NCAA tournament is cancelled.
Plausible.

Great post, literally laughed out loud. Don’t know what’s funnier, the predatory alien attack or Jerry Palm having Rutgers as a 3-seed.

Taking the question seriously for a moment, we're in really good shape for next year - and especially so if Omoruyi chooses to come.

- We're returning about 82% of our minutes and 81% of our points, with just Yeboah and Carter leaving.
- We're finally going to have a majority upper-classman squad, with at least 4 starters expected to be upperclassmen
- We'll have had a lot more experience playing in conference away games, and in 1-and-2-possession games that should help as we go into next season

The question will be how well the new pieces fill in for the lost productivity, and what sort of improvements we will see as our sophomores become juniors.

Yeboah: 23.8 min, 9.8 pts, 4.8 rb, 0.9 ast, 1.2 tov, 0.8 stl, 2.1 pf
Carter: 12.4 min, 3.6 pts, 2.5 rb, 0.0 ast, 0.8 tov, 0.2 stl, 1.4 pf

That's 36.2 min that need to be replaced from the rotation, and a total of 13.4 pts and 7.3 rb.

Incoming we have:
Palmquist (6-8, 210 Forward, with a semester of practice under his belt)
Reiber (6-10, 230 Forward/Center)
Mag (6-7, 215 Forward)
.... and possibly (hopefully?) Omoruyi (6-10, 230 Center)
.... and possibly a grad transfer

Returning minutes, based on the last 18 games (from the B1G conference restart):
29.4 Harper (12.3 pts, 5.6 rb)
27.5 Baker (10.3 pts, 3.5 rb, 3.1 ast, 1.4 tov)
24.6 Johnson (6.8 pts, 7.3 rb, 1.5 blk)
23.1 Mathis (7.5 pts, 3.6 rb)
22.6 McConnell (6.7 pts, 4.1 rb, 1.4 ast, 1.5 tov)
22.0 Young (9.2 pts, 2.6 rb, 1.5 ast, 1.6 tov)
18.3 Mulcahy (3.4 pts, 2.6 rb, 1.5 ast, 0.9 tov)

I'd expect Harper/Baker to still both hover in that 28-30 min space, and for Johnson to still sit in that 25 min range. Mathis, McConnell, Young, and Mulcahy will be fighting it out again for minutes, and it's possible that McConnell transforms himself a bit better into SF/wing role than a guard.

I know McConnell really struggled down the stretch, but there's a starting spot open for him on the wing if he can seize it.

There's no room for "trying to figure it out" games in the OOC where we drop silly games to teams like Pitt and the Bonnies. This team should largely know what it is and how to work together, Even while working in some backup bigs in the process.

Reactions: ILikePike
Let’s hope everything cleared up in time for next season.
27-8 sounds about right heading into tournament
(Loss in BTT finals)
Sweet 16 minimum
Break top 15 AP ranking during season
Win over MSU at Garden

On the verge of the precipice of the announcement of our 2019-2020 NCAA bid without the closure on competing in the games on what would have happened to conclude our season....i offer this prediction for Rutgers basketball for 2020-2021

Playing basketball the fourth weekend in March, 2021.

Preferable in the Barclay’s center in Brooklyn ...but I’ll take Mineapoois, Denver or Memphis

I’m All in on Rutgers basketball and this group of players...who will be remembered years from now as the group that put Rutgers basketball back on the map ...

Let’s Go RU!

Prediction made two weeks ago...52 weeks away fellas. Pike built a team in five years ready to make a final four run. Simply amazing and soon to be ...historic

Taking the question seriously for a moment, we're in really good shape for next year - and especially so if Omoruyi chooses to come.

- We're returning about 82% of our minutes and 81% of our points, with just Yeboah and Carter leaving.
- We're finally going to have a majority upper-classman squad, with at least 4 starters expected to be upperclassmen
- We'll have had a lot more experience playing in conference away games, and in 1-and-2-possession games that should help as we go into next season

The question will be how well the new pieces fill in for the lost productivity, and what sort of improvements we will see as our sophomores become juniors.

Yeboah: 23.8 min, 9.8 pts, 4.8 rb, 0.9 ast, 1.2 tov, 0.8 stl, 2.1 pf
Carter: 12.4 min, 3.6 pts, 2.5 rb, 0.0 ast, 0.8 tov, 0.2 stl, 1.4 pf

That's 36.2 min that need to be replaced from the rotation, and a total of 13.4 pts and 7.3 rb.

Incoming we have:
Palmquist (6-8, 210 Forward, with a semester of practice under his belt)
Reiber (6-10, 230 Forward/Center)
Mag (6-7, 215 Forward)
.... and possibly (hopefully?) Omoruyi (6-10, 230 Center)
.... and possibly a grad transfer

Returning minutes, based on the last 18 games (from the B1G conference restart):
29.4 Harper (12.3 pts, 5.6 rb)
27.5 Baker (10.3 pts, 3.5 rb, 3.1 ast, 1.4 tov)
24.6 Johnson (6.8 pts, 7.3 rb, 1.5 blk)
23.1 Mathis (7.5 pts, 3.6 rb)
22.6 McConnell (6.7 pts, 4.1 rb, 1.4 ast, 1.5 tov)
22.0 Young (9.2 pts, 2.6 rb, 1.5 ast, 1.6 tov)
18.3 Mulcahy (3.4 pts, 2.6 rb, 1.5 ast, 0.9 tov)

I'd expect Harper/Baker to still both hover in that 28-30 min space, and for Johnson to still sit in that 25 min range. Mathis, McConnell, Young, and Mulcahy will be fighting it out again for minutes, and it's possible that McConnell transforms himself a bit better into SF/wing role than a guard.

I know McConnell really struggled down the stretch, but there's a starting spot open for him on the wing if he can seize it.

There's no room for "trying to figure it out" games in the OOC where we drop silly games to teams like Pitt and the Bonnies. This team should largely know what it is and how to work together, Even while working in some backup bigs in the process.

Now that Omoruyi has committed, I'd expect him to see 15ish minutes behind Johnson next year, essentially taking Carters minutes plus. That leaves about 22-24 min to replace between Mag, Palmquist, and Reiber (and gains by returning players).

Definitely going to be a fight for minutes across the roster again this year, which is great to see.

Prediction made two weeks ago...52 weeks away fellas. Pike built a team in five years ready to make a final four run. Simply amazing and soon to be ...historic
Never doubt Shack. He correctly predicted ncaa last year for this years squad a year ago.

ADVERTISEMENT