ADVERTISEMENT

Premier League is back. Who you got?

Everton fan thanks to Tim Howard. They always start strong and seem to fade at the end.

Everton is in the Europa league I believe. That's a tough tourney travel wise, they will need team depth if they advance in the tourney. A lot of Thursday games.

I wouldn't put Man City and the Mets together. Man City might be the Dodgers, they spend way more money, more than most.

Spurs to me are more like the Mets
Funny you say that. I work with 2 teachers who's BALLS DEEP with Arsenal, another one with Man United. I was trying to figure out who should me my team back in 2010. Since I didn't want to go with someone else's team, I somehow decided on Man City because they were the Mets compared to United was the Yankees. Then they signed Dzeko and Aguero, those teachers went apeshit on me even though the only guy I knew was Ballotelli. Who knew they would have 2 championships in four years while the Mets continue being the Mets.

Reactions: miketd1
come-on-you-spurs--2.jpg

Spurs fan here. Honestly do not see them winning the PL, but maybe they can win the FA cup or League Cup. I think Man City will win the PL. Of course, I want to see the red scum (arsenal) outside the top 4.

Reactions: WhiteBus
Another Spurs fan checking in. Thought they looked okay yesterday but lacking a little pace on the attacking side. Wife is a Chelsea fan so this first weekend was wonderful and I'm just hoping that they don't bottle it next weekend.

I know I'm not really going out on a limb with these predictions, but I would probably pick Man City to take the PL this year (lots of transfer activity bolstering an already strong starting xi), Man U and Spurs for 2nd and 3rd (either order), and one of Arsenal/Chelsea rounding out the top 4, with maybe Everton having an outside shot. I think Man U really screwed up Chelsea's plans when they got Lukaku and I don't understand the Matic transfer. I'm sure Morata will work out fine for Chelsea, but they have a tough early schedule and I see them dropping some points without Hazard.

Reactions: StyleKnight
I root for Southampton in the PL, and Also QPR in the Championship. I used to go to Paddington Station a lot, so I picked up on QPR especially when they were in the PL. When they dropped down I picked Southampton since I wanted to have a PL team, I didn't want a "Yankees type" team, and they had an ex-QPR player or two.

Another Spurs fan checking in. Thought they looked okay yesterday but lacking a little pace on the attacking side. Wife is a Chelsea fan so this first weekend was wonderful and I'm just hoping that they don't bottle it next weekend.

I know I'm not really going out on a limb with these predictions, but I would probably pick Man City to take the PL this year (lots of transfer activity bolstering an already strong starting xi), Man U and Spurs for 2nd and 3rd (either order), and one of Arsenal/Chelsea rounding out the top 4, with maybe Everton having an outside shot. I think Man U really screwed up Chelsea's plans when they got Lukaku and I don't understand the Matic transfer. I'm sure Morata will work out fine for Chelsea, but they have a tough early schedule and I see them dropping some points without Hazard.

Bringing in Bakayoko made Matic expendable. Matic hasn't looked all that great the last 2 years under Mou and Conte but we'll see if he's able to turn it around. I was fine with the move.

Last edited:
Bringing in Bakayoko made Matic expendable. Matic hasn't looked all that great the last 2 years under Mou and Conte but we'll see if he's able to turn it around. I was fine with the move.

I personally am having trouble understanding the move:
1) The manager didn't want to sell him and hasnt been quiet about it but the club did it anyway. That strikes me as strange. Maybe Conte wants out or the owner has tired of Conte IMO. Or maybe 40+mm for a 29 year old is too much cash to pass up even for a Russian oligarch? I dunno.
2) Bakayoko is a talent but he's just 22 years old. He had like 30 combined appearances the two years prior. So he is far from a proven guy.
3) Bakayoko is coming from a lower level league and there's always an adjustment period to the Premier league.
4) Depth is obviously key especially for a team like Chelsea that is in the CL.
5) Further that, Bakayoko isn't fit this week and you might have to play Luiz out of position with Kante.
6) But the weirdest thing is you sell Matic not to some German team or Italian team but to United of all teams who is desperate for that exact kind of player. Now they can play big money Pogba further up the field which makes him and them far more dangerous. And you're selling him to Mourinho! It is almost as if Chelsea does not view ManU as legitimate competition this year, but clearly they are.

Just a strange move.

Wow. Just wow. You find a little light humor that offensive? You seriously need to chill, dude!
Well your problems were two fold.
1) You weren't original as you basically repeated what TK posted.
2) Neither posts were funny.
Its not offensive. More like embarrassing for you and lame, very lame.

Reactions: Unionst
You are right. I am mortified. My humble apologies to the keeper of what is acceptable on the board.

You are right. I am mortified. My humble apologies to the keeper of what is acceptable on the board.
You are like the clown who cries about the rights of free speech. You think you can say anything really stupid but complain when others point out how dumb you are. Free speech is free, so are the consequences of being an idiot.

You are like the clown who cries about the rights of free speech. You think you can say anything really stupid but complain when others point out how dumb you are. Free speech is free, so are the consequences of being an idiot.

Well I learned long ago to never argue with an idiot so this will be my last post to you. Have all your nearly 16,000 posts over 5+ years been this overwrought and stupid? You take a light joke about a sport and ultimately turn it into a political screed. You are a strange dude.

Well I learned long ago to never argue with an idiot so this will be my last post to you. Have all your nearly 16,000 posts over 5+ years been this overwrought and stupid? You take a light joke about a sport and ultimately turn it into a political screed. You are a strange dude.
Strange is that you thought your post was funny. What made it worse is your later posts defending it. You did notice that I had no comment at your failed sense of humor of your first post, which just repeated the previous post. But to come back and defend it over and over again just shows you still dont get it.

What are the best soccer bars in state? For me I am Monmouth/Middlesex/Hunterdon so Darcy's is the spot. Anywhere good in New Bruns that opens up early?

What are the best soccer bars in state? For me I am Monmouth/Middlesex/Hunterdon so Darcy's is the spot. Anywhere good in New Bruns that opens up early?
Doesn't help the NJ crowd but in Philly O'Neals, 3rd and South. Same place where we have had Rutgers watch parties.

In the prem-yer league, I like Tottenham Spurs. In the Champions League I like Real Madrid.

European football is the bees knees.

Reactions: rutger80
Matic looked like exactly what United needs last weekend. He was excellent.

Darcy's, my home away from home. Wish it was Darcy's when I lived 150 feet from there!

Reactions: Zak57
Matic looked like exactly what United needs last weekend. He was excellent.

Missed most of it but heard he played well. I like Matic i just didn't think he was all that great last 2 like I said. Could have been for a number of reasons but will definitely keep eye on him over next year.

Missed most of it but heard he played well. I like Matic i just didn't think he was all that great last 2 like I said. Could have been for a number of reasons but will definitely keep eye on him over next year.
Got ya, I thought he was solid two and three years ago, agree week last year but Kante took a lot of his role, think he wasn't sure where he fit. As a Spurs fan, wish it caused them more issues!

Got ya, I thought he was solid two and three years ago, agree week last year but Kante took a lot of his role, think he wasn't sure where he fit. As a Spurs fan, wish it caused them more issues!

3 years ago was probably his best a complete monster. 2 years ago Mourinho had lost the whole team and was totally outsmarting himself and the squad as a whole was piss poor. Last year agreed Kante basically upped him but he still had some great matched best being against Spurs in FA Cup semi especially with that amazing goal.

Reactions: seansherm
I like Mancnester United just because the TB Bucs owners own them.
I'll only watch about 10 minutes of play this year though

okay Premier League fans.. give us a rundown of all the teams and how should we think of them.. in terms of, say, college football teams (or similar point of comparison).. Man U is who.. Notre Dame? Miami? and so on...
Circling back on this RU would have to be Newcastle the "sleeping giant" of English football.

I plan to watch more PL this year PL. I love soccer and need to give this more of a try. One of my favorite books ever is Fever Pitch by Nick Hornby .... Amazon product ASIN 1573226882 it reads like a sports fan confessional... just so good.

So I guess I am predisposed to be an arsenal fan because of it. That said, I will don't really have a team I just want to see beautiful socccer. Looking forward to it.

Also Curious to see what the soccers fans on the board thought of this book?

Not sure if anyone noticed (I did not as West Ham played ManU on their main channel this past weekend), but NBCSports has gone and screwed with their coverage of the EPL. No longer will you be able to stream every EPL game for free as has been the case for the past several years. Instead, they are offering a "Gold" subscription package which will allow you to stream a "minimum of 3 games per team" for $50/season.

If you are a fan of the big 6 (ManU, City, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal, Liverpool) you are probably fine because nearly all of their games are available on Cable each week, and if not will certainly be available for streaming. However, if you follow a "smaller" club like my mighty Hammers your are SOL if your games are not made available for streaming that week. And to top it off, they have only listed two weeks of the schedule for games to be streamed, making it impossible to assess how many games you might be able to see for your subscription.

I don't mind paying for the service- I would actually pay $100 or more to get access to all of the games. But to limit it to 3 games and charge me $50 without telling me which games is ridiculous. Very short sighted IMO.

After week #2 just 3 teams perfect with 2 wins, with another game tomorrow to finish the week. Todays Spurs/Chelsea game was a killer for Tottenham. Even it late and give it right back. Ugh.
Tomorrow is Everton/Man City. We will find out early in the season how good the Toffees could be this season playing against the top team.

After week #2 just 3 teams perfect with 2 wins, with another game tomorrow to finish the week. Todays Spurs/Chelsea game was a killer for Tottenham. Even it late and give it right back. Ugh.
Tomorrow is Everton/Man City. We will find out early in the season how good the Toffees could be this season playing against the top team.
Got home from the beach just in time to see the Spurs give up the terrible 2nd goal. Crushing, even early in season when they are trying to put the Wembley voodoo behind them.

Got home from the beach just in time to see the Spurs give up the terrible 2nd goal. Crushing, even early in season when they are trying to put the Wembley voodoo behind them.
When that goal went in my first thought was the Wembley Curse.

Reactions: seansherm
Season starts this weekend. Man City seems to be a solid favorite with Chelsea and Man U not far behind. After that the odds jump big time. So if you think someone can beat the top 3 time to put a wager down.
Im an Everton fan. I root for Man City and against Man U. Looking forward to another season.

Metric Football. Pffffftttttttt. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Reactions: WhiteBus
ADVERTISEMENT