ADVERTISEMENT

Premier League is back. Who you got?

If you’re a Hotspur fan, check out “The Lane” documentary on NBCSports Net. Its pretty awesome.

Gotta admit I completely gave up on Arsenal after the first 2 months of the season but they’re hanging in there some for a shot at Top 5. League Cup semis as well but really think it’s gonna be time for a change regardless.

If you’re a Hotspur fan, check out “The Lane” documentary on NBCSports Net. Its pretty awesome.

Watched it last night, very good.

Interested to see how the big 6 add or subtract in the January transfer window. The 2-4 champions league sports are still up for grabs.

As a Liverpool fan, hoping to get some reinforcements in the transfer window. Dropping points to Everton (horrible call) and Arsenal is painful to watch. Hoping all the lineup changes play off second half of the season including Champions League.

Was thinking Pulisic to Liverpool was possible but it sounds like ManU may steal him....which sucks cause I don’t want to root for ManU...

Reactions: Beancounter88
As a Spurs fan, I am concerned about their reliance on 2-3 players (Kane especially). They’ve been smart buyers/sellers over past 3-4 years, but I think they need to spend now. They have a legit chance to be a heavyweight if they spend right.

As a Spurs fan, I am concerned about their reliance on 2-3 players (Kane especially). They’ve been smart buyers/sellers over past 3-4 years, but I think they need to spend now. They have a legit chance to be a heavyweight if they spend right.

Spurs fan here also, who would you like them to go after in the January window? I am talking legit targets, not like the Isco rumors from last window.

I can see maybe they will target:

Barkley (Everton)
Sessengnon (Fulham)
Zaha (Crystal Palace)

Are you hearing any others we might be interested in. I read there is a 32yo Turkish league/Serbian defender they might look at to add short term depth to central defense. I know Levy and his salary structure makes it difficult to bring in top stars.

Do you see anyone going out, like Danny Rose maybe?

Spurs fan here also, who would you like them to go after in the January window? I am talking legit targets, not like the Isco rumors from last window.

Barkley (Everton)
Sessengnon (Fulham)
Zaha (Crystal Palace)

Are you hearing any others we might be interested in. I read there is a 32yo Turkish league/Serbian defender they might look at to add short term depth to central defense. I know Levy and his salary structure makes it difficult to bring in top stars.

I've heard rumors of Barkley, Luke Shaw, and Nicolas Gaitan from Atletico. Would love to see a Zaha added, but fear that would just lead to someone leaving in the summer for financial reasons. Need to continue to add depth, still isn't a team built for week day tournies and PL games.

I've heard rumors of Barkley, Luke Shaw, and Nicolas Gaitan from Atletico. Would love to see a Zaha added, but fear that would just lead to someone leaving in the summer for financial reasons. Need to continue to add depth, still isn't a team built for week day tournies and PL games.

Heard rumors of Shaw also, but I would expect that to mean Rose going the other way possibly.

We will how the new stadium affects the dealings in the future. Added revenues between seats and the NFL etc should help some. But back to back years in the Champions league should mean something and the owners should try to strike now to take the next step up. And if Poch leaves I think we will be in trouble.

Heard rumors of Shaw also, but I would expect that to mean Rose going the other way possibly.

We will how the new stadium affects the dealings in the future. Added revenues between seats and the NFL etc should help some. But back to back years in the Champions league should mean something and the owners should try to strike now to take the next step up. And if Poch leaves I think we will be in trouble.
If Poch leaves, I fear a max exodus...

Barkley’s ceiling is at the level Tottenham is playing at, but I don’t think he performs at that level anywhere near consistently enough and he would be a mistake for them.

Barkley’s ceiling is at the level Tottenham is playing at, but I don’t think he performs at that level anywhere near consistently enough and he would be a mistake for them.
I agree, thought Barkely would continue to improve the last couple years and has stagnated. I wouldn't love him on the team, but for depth purposes.

I agree, thought Barkely would continue to improve the last couple years and has stagnated. I wouldn't love him on the team, but for depth purposes.

Agree, but if you can get him cheap (contract runs out in summer), like you said, adds depth. I would also be interested to see what Poch could do for his game, he is still young, 23 I believe. So he still can improve with the right coach and system. His value right now is in the price you can get him for. For the right price the plus's out weigh the minus's.

Spurs have historically had quiet January transfer windows. Not sure if the deeper CL push combined with the tight competition for 2nd to 4th/5th will buck that trend. More depth never hurts, especially considering the gauntlet leading up to the first leg of the RO16: 1/31 vs. Man United; 2/4 at Liverpool; 2/10 vs. Arsenal; 2/13 at Juventus. That run will potentially determine both if Spurs qualify for CL next season and make it into the quarterfinals. I don't think any of the rumored targets would really provide depth where it is most needed at CB. Assuming Toby is still out, it would be disastrous if Jan or Sanchez pick up a knock or a ban during that stretch.

That being said, I would love if Spurs made a move for Sessegnon -- even more so if there is any uncertainty as to Rose's future in the summer transfer window.

Reactions: ntlrock1
Agree, but if you can get him cheap (contract runs out in summer), like you said, adds depth. I would also be interested to see what Poch could do for his game, he is still young, 23 I believe. So he still can improve with the right coach and system. His value right now is in the price you can get him for. For the right price the plus's out weigh the minus's.
The “old” Tottenham could afford to do something like this, letting him try to play himself into form in cup games, Europa League, etc. I don’t see the Tottenham trying to be a perennial UCL team, and making a mark while they are there, being able to play him over more consistent options.

Spurs have historically had quiet January transfer windows. Not sure if the deeper CL push combined with the tight competition for 2nd to 4th/5th will buck that trend. More depth never hurts, especially considering the gauntlet leading up to the first leg of the RO16: 1/31 vs. Man United; 2/4 at Liverpool; 2/10 vs. Arsenal; 2/13 at Juventus. That run will potentially determine both if Spurs qualify for CL next season and make it into the quarterfinals. I don't think any of the rumored targets would really provide depth where it is most needed at CB. Assuming Toby is still out, it would be disastrous if Jan or Sanchez pick up a knock or a ban during that stretch.

That being said, I would love if Spurs made a move for Sessegnon -- even more so if there is any uncertainty as to Rose's future in the summer transfer window.

Hopefully Toby is back for that stretch, talk is end of January early February. He has supposedly started running. Also maybe Wanyama could be ready which would allow Dier to fill in at CB if needed.

Hopefully Toby is back for that stretch, talk is end of January early February. He has supposedly started running. Also maybe Wanyama could be ready which would allow Dier to fill in at CB if needed.

Yeah, fingers crossed for both Toby and Vic. It would be a huge boon to the defense to have those two back. Given that Poch makes Ash look like a gossip when it comes to disclosing injury details, I've been taking all positive news on the injury front with a grain of salt, especially after the extended injuries to Lamela and Rose last year.

Speaking of Toby, I'd be more than happy to have him ink a new contract in lieu of any January transfers.

Yeah, fingers crossed for both Toby and Vic. It would be a huge boon to the defense to have those two back. Given that Poch makes Ash look like a gossip when it comes to disclosing injury details, I've been taking all positive news on the injury front with a grain of salt, especially after the extended injuries to Lamela and Rose last year.

Speaking of Toby, I'd be more than happy to have him ink a new contract in lieu of any January transfers.

To me Toby is the best player on Spurs (maybe sans Kane), but he reads the game so well and organizes the defense. Toby, Jan, and Sanchez were working so well together in a back 3.

Reports are that Liverpool have announced that Virgil van Dijk will join in a £75 million deal when the transfer window reopens on 1 January.

I like him, but he gets injured often. I still like Toby better (for £11.5 mil). And Sanchez was a solid pickup in the summer.

Barkley (Everton)
Sessengnon (Fulham)
Zaha (Crystal Palace)

I have thought for a while that Barkley is talented but has needed a reboot with a good coach. I also thought he could transition to be a CB like a Luiz. At very least, physical presence at holding mid. Would also check in on Mahrez - I think he would provide speed and an outside threat. I like Luke Shaw shot also - kid is definitely talented.

Also, not for nothing, but wouldn’t Pulisic be awesome on that squad with Ericksen?

LOVE ALL THE SPURS ON THE BOARD!

Last edited:
I have thought for a while that Barkley is talented but has needed a reboot with a good coach. I also thought he could transition to be a CB like a Luiz. At very least, physical presence at holding mid. Would also check in on Mahrez - I think he would provide speed and an outside threat. I like Luke Shaw shot also - kid is definitely talented.

Also, not for nothing, but wouldn’t Pulisic be awesome on that squad with Ericksen?

LOVE ALL THE SPURS ON THE BOARD!

Spurs need some speed on the wings. Besides Son there isn’t much. Zaha is ideal as he’s faster & cheaper to acquire than an admittedly more talented yet more expensive Mahrez. Either one would totally be acceptable.

In the January window they, at absolute minimum, need to acquire some respectable CB depth

Man City wins again yesterday. 19 wins, 1 draw, 0 loses. 15 points ahead of 2nd plac Man U.

Crazy good!

Man City wins again yesterday. 19 wins, 1 draw, 0 loses. 15 points ahead of 2nd plac Man U.

Crazy good!

New Castle gave them a game though, Rafa had a good strategy, and the last 10 minutes got pretty exciting.

Seems like several of the top leagues are pretty much decided, England, Spain, Germany, France, all but locked up already. Battle will be for the champions league spots.

New Castle gave them a game though, Rafa had a good strategy, and the last 10 minutes got pretty exciting.

Seems like several of the top leagues are pretty much decided, England, Spain, Germany, France, all but locked up already. Battle will be for the champions league spots.
Although the ending had some excitement I wouldn't call getting out shot 22 to 6 or losing time of possessin 78% to 22% good strategy.

The top 6 seems to be dropping less points against the bottom half this year, which means that the bottom of the league is bunched up and there is potential for a crazy late battle involving 5-6 teams over who gets relegated.

Although the ending had some excitement I wouldn't call getting out shot 22 to 6 or losing time of possessin 78% to 22% good strategy.

I would when you know coming in you are way outmatched. He kept the game 1-0, and like I said, the last 10 minutes got exciting.

Time of possession in soccer is one of the most over rated stats. Look at Leister City's championship year. Rarely ever had the advantage of time of possession, they just counter attacked with long balls and won the league.

Absorbing the attack was the game plan. I mean Mourinho at ManU has made a career of parking the bus and winning trophies. I personally do not like that type of soccer, makes for boring matches. But Spurs tried to play with Man City and got picked apart. Rafa had a great strategy to keep in the game and take a shot at the end. Almost got a result.

Last edited:
The top 6 seems to be dropping less points against the bottom half this year, which means that the bottom of the league is bunched up and there is potential for a crazy late battle involving 5-6 teams over who gets relegated.

The transfer window is key to both the top of the league and the bottom. Got to keep your better players and add pieces. But for some of the bottom teams it might be better to sell a player and get back money in order to get a few that will fit into your squad to help. its a balancing act and a gamble.

I would when you know coming in you are way outmatched. He kept the game 1-0, and like I said, the last 10 minutes got exciting.

Time of possession in soccer is one of the most over rated stats. Look at Leister City's championship year. Rarely ever had the advantage of time of possession, they just counter attacked with long balls and won the league.

Absorbing the attack was the game plan. I mean Murinho at ManU has made a career of parking the bus and winning trophies. I personally do not like that type of soccer, makes for boring matches. But Spurs tried to play with Man City and got picked apart. Rafa had a great strategy to keep in the game and take a shot at the end. Almost got a result.
That strategy is similar to what Ash did most of the year. It's not a winning strategy, it's a strategy to keep from being blown out. And it worked. They lost a close game but has very little chance to win.

That strategy is similar to what Ash did most of the year. It's not a winning strategy, it's a strategy to keep from being blown out. And it worked. They lost a close game but has very little chance to win.

But they did have a chance to get a point (Draw), if they went toe to toe they lose 5-0 or worse. Every point is important especially teams near relegation. And goal differential makes a difference too. Not like college football at all. IMHO, it was a smart strategy for a totally outmanned team. But I guess we will disagree.

But they did have a chance to get a point (Draw), if they went toe to toe they lose 5-0 or worse. Every point is important especially teams near relegation. And goal differential makes a difference too. Not like college football at all. IMHO, it was a smart strategy for a totally outmanned team. But I guess we will disagree.
I agree that it was there strategy. As a fan I may understand but it' not enjoyable to watch.

I agree that it was there strategy. As a fan I may understand but it' not enjoyable to watch.

I 100% agree, that's why I became a fan of Spurs years ago. They always try to play entertaining soccer. Sometimes to their detriment.

Man U breaks a losing string with great play and 2 awesome goals. Sadly against Everton.
Man City will try to extend their lead tomorrow . No loses. Will strive towards most single season points ever.
Great time for EPL with tons of games during the holidays.
My remote will be getting a workout with the bowl games now.

Last edited:
Good game yesterday, Spurs - West Ham at Wembley. Two wonderstrikes- check out 2:03 (laser from Obiang from West Ham) and a very similar goal at 4:03 (Son from Spurs) in the video in the link below.

Yes, West Ham parked the bus for nearly 90 minutes, but we got the result we needed to keep up the momentum built over the holidays. We have a string of six winnable fixtures which hopefully will see us separate from the pack at the bottom.

http://www.whufc.com/news/articles/...hlights-tottenham-hotspur-1-1-west-ham-united

Good game yesterday, Spurs - West Ham at Wembley. Two wonderstrikes- check out 2:03 (laser from Obiang from West Ham) and a very similar goal at 4:03 (Son from Spurs) in the video in the link below.

Yes, West Ham parked the bus for nearly 90 minutes, but we got the result we needed to keep up the momentum built over the holidays. We have a string of six winnable fixtures which hopefully will see us separate from the pack at the bottom.

http://www.whufc.com/news/articles/...hlights-tottenham-hotspur-1-1-west-ham-united

Really wasn’t a good game until about 15-20 minutes left. WHU parked it and Spurs really didn’t get any great chances even though they dominated the game. Son saved a point.

Liverpool on top today to hand Man City it's first loss of the year. 4-3 final. Down 4-1 Man City almost pulls off the epic comeback with a diving header off a free kick with less than a minute left in extra time.

ADVERTISEMENT