ADVERTISEMENT

Preseason Projections (OTB)

RedChucken123

Sophomore
Oct 21, 2015
http://www.onthebanks.com/2016/7/22...ers-big-ten-florida-state-advanced-statistics

I like to think of myself as an optimist, but I would really like to think that we will surprise this season. At least, play a lot more competitively because the second half of last year got a bit ugly at times.

According to the article, the chief input into the rankings is last year's performance. With brand new coaching and philosophies, I would think/hope that would improve for the better.

So aside from inputs related to the past, you have that of the present: the players. We have solid offensive and defensive lines where it all starts and a solid running game. The secondary was bad last year, but I think Ash knew that coming in. We have two coaches dedicated to the secondary (Henry and Busch) and not to mention Ash has a background himself as a former secondaries coach. Hopefully, they will know how to play the right way. The only sections that I have trouble justifying obvious improvement is the linebackers, quarterbacks, and wide receivers. Obviously, that is BIG. lol. How are you going to score, if you can't move/pass the ball or defend against short/medium routes and runs past scrimmage (as good as the lines are, it's still bound to happen). That is just something that we'll just have to hope there is a surprise that we are not aware of. We all know Grant should be a factor, but there's got to be some sort of catch to Flood not using him as much. Flood can't be THAAT IDIOTIC. LOL. Apparently, he has questionable hands and he is on the short side. With Laviano's shakiness at times, maybe that has something to do with it.

Surprises needed for a great season:
--- Improved QB play with at least decent/passable WR
--- Decent/acceptable LB play with at least decent tackling

Hopefully, the improved Rugby tackling and improved conditioning from Coach Parker will help. We are certainly trying to address the issues of the past, but time will tell, whether we can really execute it.

ADVERTISEMENT