ADVERTISEMENT

Podcast Previewing Rutgers Football's first Official Visit weekend!

What happened with the report of the Jourdin Houston commit? Jumping the gun.

Jourdin Houston is the 17th recruit and the 9th for this weekend. The class is now ranked 9th in the nation, which seems higher than where we've been at this point in the past.

Has RU football ever had such an active recruiting weekend? Perhaps there was a lot of positive energy among the recruits that prompted so many to commit so quickly.

Good job by the coaching staff to make this happen.

Reactions: RU at the shore
If people who follow this team could not realize that there has been a great positive energy evolving then you must be DDB . We still have several more prime recruiting dates scheduled so it is quite possible we will get 5-6 more good players . In answer to the question have we ever been this highly rated early on? Recruiting has changed, Rutgers is looking at a chance to get to the next level. This staff is what makes us different then at any time in our history. We have a quality staff … that was not done by accident. Greg has evolved as a leader and HC in his 2nd tour at Rutgers. Perfect? No but just the guy we needed . Can’t wait to see who is the first to complain. Not about X’s and O’s my friends just the Jimmy’s and Joe’s. Go Rutgers!!!!!!!!!

If people who follow this team could not realize that there has been a great positive energy evolving then you must be DDB . We still have several more prime recruiting dates scheduled so it is quite possible we will get 5-6 more good players . In answer to the question have we ever been this highly rated early on? Recruiting has changed, Rutgers is looking at a chance to get to the next level. This staff is what makes us different then at any time in our history. We have a quality staff … that was not done by accident. Greg has evolved as a leader and HC in his 2nd tour at Rutgers. Perfect? No but just the guy we needed . Can’t wait to see who is the first to complain. Not about X’s and O’s my friends just the Jimmy’s and Joe’s. Go Rutgers!!!!!!!!!
The high rating is mostly volume at this point. We still have a 3.0 average star ranking. Dozens of teams have fewer recruits in total, but higher ranked recruits. And eventually they will add the numbers as well and jump us. So when it's all done, we will probably drop down to our usual range in the 30s-40s. It's still good though.

The high rating is mostly volume at this point. We still have a 3.0 average star ranking. Dozens of teams have fewer recruits in total, but higher ranked recruits. And eventually they will add the numbers as well and jump us. So when it's all done, we will probably drop down to our usual range in the 30s-40s. It's still good though.
Last year RU had an average recruit rating of
2.92…. Right now our average appears to be near 3.0
The 2.92 for 2024 put us at # 35 nationally, which means maybe RU is in the low 30’s when the dust settles for 2025
Unless RU finishes with a few 4 stars added on

Here in lies one distinct difference than in the past. A number of these players on the Rivals site are 5.7 rated. On3 some are 4’s. Fact: Size , speed , and most actually have multiple P5 offers something which went missing for awhile. 17 players with an opportunity to get 5-6 more according to those in the know.Several more recruiting days and portal days to go.

Reactions: Eagleton96
Fantastic job by this failure of a HC…😜 … for those here who still don’t think Schiano was the right choice …., bite me!!!!!!!!
Nobody’s ever doubted Schiano’s recruiting acumen

That, program building and molding young men are his bread and butter

Additionally, I’d venture to say most on here were thrilled when he came back - absolutely the right, and only man, for the job at that time

It’s the other issues (in game coaching, lack of offensive creativity, playing not to lose), which essentially means not evolving w the times, especially given his experience, which has had a few of us visibly frustrated

You are ( like some others) stuck in that old mindset.If we go back to tour #1 we did combine a great running game with a pretty de ent passing game. As for decision making… we already saw he has grown as a HC . When you have the working parts usually you look quite a bit better. Deny or not this ain’t Schiano from the early days. Will there be the occasional oops? They all have that chance… but players of quality ALWAYS make you look better as a HC.

Reactions: colbert17
It is the staff which gives us hope.This is the key going into 2024. As an example Was our O line good because of the players or maybe Flood was a damn good O line guy?

Recruiting matters, but just like with Pikiell’s ‘24-‘25 recruits who haven’t played 1 second of college ball we don’t know if the coaches can achieve big seasons with the guys they bring in.

Last year RU had an average recruit rating of
2.92…. Right now our average appears to be near 3.0
The 2.92 for 2024 put us at # 35 nationally, which means maybe RU is in the low 30’s when the dust settles for 2025
Unless RU finishes with a few 4 stars added on
Yeah but we had 26 recruits and only 3 were below 3 stars that took down the average. What I look at and think is different is that this year and last we have a lot of 5.6 and 5.7 three stars. Baylor and TCU have built successful programs with recruiting classes like that.

Reactions: RUBOB72
Yeah but we had 26 recruits and only 3 were below 3 stars that took down the average. What I look at and think is different is that this year and last we have a lot of 5.6 and 5.7 three stars. Baylor and TCU have built successful programs with recruiting classes like that.
at this point it is all guess work, but if I were to guess where we wind up, would be the low 30's

Which is probably fine, when you take into account that several less regarded commits often develop beyond what the pundits thought

I usually focus on what OL recruits we get..... I trust that the Defense
is going to be good, but a really good O line would help our program win games we normally could not...

Reactions: pmvon
pmv...was it you who Shelby pledged to refrain from criticizing Schiano for 3 weeks (until May 22) ? Shelby is a he/him/his of his word and honored the commitment.

pmv...was it you who Shelby pledged to refrain from criticizing Schiano for 3 weeks (until May 22) ? Shelby is a he/him/his of his word and honored the commitment.
It was. Well done. How about a good faith extension by Shelby to the beginning of the season?

Here in lies one distinct difference than in the past. A number of these players on the Rivals site are 5.7 rated. On3 some are 4’s. Fact: Size , speed , and most actually have multiple P5 offers something which went missing for awhile. 17 players with an opportunity to get 5-6 more according to those in the know.Several more recruiting days and portal days to go.
Bob - What role has NIL played in getting these 17 commitments? Are these guys being promised $100K each? When we get to December and OSU wants one of these guys, all they have to do is double their NIL right? Your thoughts are appreciated.

Reactions: Zimm80
Bob - What role has NIL played in getting these 17 commitments? Are these guys being promised $100K each? When we get to December and OSU wants one of these guys, all they have to do is double their NIL right? Your thoughts are appreciated.
How many did this staff lose LAST years class… 2-3? Maybe not that many . I ‘ll just use N’kye as the example of why I trust Schiano and can’t empathize this again … this staff is good … if we shat the bed maybe …. but parents like Rutgers and Schiano.

Are there former disgruntled players who don’t care for his stubborness of course. That is shown on this board and most were not that good.

Wait you think football have $2-2.5m in NIL just for HS recruits? 🤣 They are not even close to $100k

It’s like the minor league system now , Rutgers in reality could be considered a feeder program, players develop & get coached up, then the big boys take notice & swoop in with 2 or3 times what Rutgers is paying & a new car , what is a player supposed to do , how do you not take the money and play for an elite program.

It’s like the minor league system now , Rutgers in reality could be considered a feeder program, players develop & get coached up, then the big boys take notice & swoop in with 2 or3 times what Rutgers is paying & a new car , what is a player supposed to do , how do you not take the money and play for an elite program.
Maybe, maybe not.
Did not happen with
Monangai, Flip Dixon, Toure, Powell, or any others who stood out last year.
Some people still believe in loyalty to the their teammates and to the coaches that developed them and gave them a shot in the first place. Maybe others don't. But it's not the gloom and doom you project.

Rutgers seems to have enough NIL to keep their players, but not enough to go shopping in the portal.

Maybe, maybe not.
Did not happen with
Monangai, Flip Dixon, Toure, Powell, or any others who stood out last year.
Some people still believe in loyalty to the their teammates and to the coaches that developed them and gave them a shot in the first place. Maybe others don't. But it's not the gloom and doom you project.
I guess since none of us know the answer, we're all coming up with theories. But I think we can conclude that Schiano and staff create an environment of trust and loyalty that pays huge dividends in terms of keeping kids here with less NIL.

As far as these high school kids, I guess none of us know what role NIL played in getting 18 kids to commit in 2 days. Maybe very little. But while none of them are signed, we can breathe a sigh of relief that to date, the NIL era hasn't crippled our basketball and football programs. In fact, both teams will be the best on paper they've been in a long time. For football, a very long time.

Rutgers seems to have enough NIL to keep their players, but not enough to go shopping in the portal.
I think it’s a good strategy.

If you only have enough funds to pay market price for a limited number of players, better to use it to keep players you KNOW can succeed at Rutgers versus spending it on attracting players you HOPE can succeed at Rutgers.

Nobody’s ever doubted Schiano’s recruiting acumen

That, program building and molding young men are his bread and butter

Additionally, I’d venture to say most on here were thrilled when he came back - absolutely the right, and only man, for the job at that time

It’s the other issues (in game coaching, lack of offensive creativity, playing not to lose), which essentially means not evolving w the times, especially given his experience, which has had a few of us visibly frustrated
All true . But are you saying he’s not the right guy for the job ??

I guess since none of us know the answer, we're all coming up with theories. But I think we can conclude that Schiano and staff create an environment of trust and loyalty that pays huge dividends in terms of keeping kids here with less NIL.

As far as these high school kids, I guess none of us know what role NIL played in getting 18 kids to commit in 2 days. Maybe very little. But while none of them are signed, we can breathe a sigh of relief that to date, the NIL era hasn't crippled our basketball and football programs. In fact, both teams will be the best on paper they've been in a long time. For football, a very long time.
Very good points.
We are doing better in the NIL era than we were before. But yet some of our fans won’t acknowledge this

Reactions: LeapinLou

Yeah, as @Richie O and @mb5789 said in yesterday's podcast, we are no longer "competing" for recruits against only MAC and other G5 teams. We are winning battles against other P5 programs and within our conference.

All true . But are you saying he’s not the right guy for the job ??
He was absolutely the right man for the job
Arguably, outside of Saban, the only man for the job

And I'm hopeful he's learned from last years, and previous years, mistakes

Opens up the offense
Doesn't play not to lose
Takes some chances

Ohio State game perfect example
Went toe to toe w/them

Fake punts, nasty defense, etc.
Inside the 10 yard line, goes conservative

He's got the goods to get us into the top 25 on an annual basis
Whether he has it in him to make us elite, which I absolutely believe we can be, remains to be seen

I think it’s a good strategy.

If you only have enough funds to pay market price for a limited number of players, better to use it to keep players you KNOW can succeed at Rutgers versus spending it on attracting players you HOPE can succeed at Rutgers.
Plus you should get some discount paying for current players that like where they are, know where they stand, are risk averse, or have some loyalty. How much discount? I’ll guess 15-30% generally. That adds up. It’s all about creating as much value as possible with the resources you have. Basically the opposite of the NY Mets.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT