ADVERTISEMENT

Princeton/Iona game being played at Kean University, RAC substitute when being renovated?

A

anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy

Not too far from RU and keeps a home court advantage. We shouldnt be touching the RAC and ever playing games away from it anyway but thats another story

Not sure how accurate but a quick google search says capacity is around 2500. Would be intimate but I’m sure it would get loud.

Kean gym isn't large enough - if that is what is being discussed; if renovations happen you play at Pru; sometimes you need to temporarily move to the Yale Bowl or Shea Stadium; And It only takes 50 years.

If Rutgers basketball needs an alternate venue for a season, then why not keep the games on campus by creating a temporary basketball arena inside the Bubble? Build temporary stands totaling 8,000 seats or so, similar capacity as the RAC. On basketball game days, add an indoor boardwalk, adding an experience the RAC can't provide.

Another alternative is the College Avenue Gymnasium. Add 2,000 temporary seats at the side where no seating exists today. That would bring capacity to approximately 5,000. Host a handful of big games at Madison Square Garden.

Precedents exist for this approach in the sport of rugby. When rugby went professional in the 1990s, attendance blasted higher many formerly amateur clubs. Leinster, arguably the greatest professional rugby team in the world over the past twenty years, outgrew its 6,000 capacity stadium. So, at a show horse facility in the same neighborhood, temporary stands were erected to complement an existing grandstand, creating a rugby venue of 18,000. This format is wildly successful and continues today.

In Bath, England, a temporary stand for rugby spectators is built on a large open space in the center of town. The stand is removed to accommodate cricket. This arrangement has been made permanent for the Bath rugby team, perhaps England's best.

Leinster and Bath play their biggest games at Ireland and England's larger national rugby stadiums.

If Rutgers basketball needs an alternate venue for a season, then why not keep the games on campus by creating a temporary basketball arena inside the Bubble? Build temporary stands totaling 8,000 seats or so, similar capacity as the RAC.
Respectfully, I don't think it's possible to fit 8,000 seats inside the bubble. Plus, if you think restrooms are an issue now, wait until however many fans they could fit inside the bubble had to share one restroom and a few foul-smelling port-a-potties.

I do absolutely agree with renovating the RAC and think Trenton is a good idea for a temporary site. Maybe grow Rutgers basketball's popularity in south Jersey/Philly in the process. The only reason I think Newark will ultimately be chosen is because the Big Ten will want us as close to NYC as possible, plus it makes travel easier for road opponents with EWR right there.

Reactions: IL Lusciato
Respectfully, I don't think it's possible to fit 8,000 seats inside the bubble. Plus, if you think restrooms are an issue now, wait until however many fans they could fit inside the bubble had to share one restroom and a few foul-smelling port-a-potties.

I do absolutely agree with renovating the RAC and think Trenton is a good idea for a temporary site. Maybe grow Rutgers basketball's popularity in south Jersey/Philly in the process. The only reason I think Newark will ultimately be chosen is because the Big Ten will want us as close to NYC as possible, plus it makes travel easier for road opponents with EWR right there.
The bubble and RAC have similar footprints. The bubble is 200 feet wide and a basketball court is 50 feet across. Build stands on both sides and add taller bleachers, similar it capacity as the RAC student section, at both baselines.

The football stadium and new academic success center are located across the street from the bubble. Open these impressive facilities, including the bathrooms, to fans and recruits during basketball games.

If done creatively, the game day experience at the bubble -- sitting at the geographic epicenter of Rutgers sports -- could be beneficial to Rutgers athletics in a way that playing in Trenton or Newark could not be.

Last edited:
Reactions: ScarletDave
What’s the heat situation like in the bubble?

The bubble also isn’t designed for crowds… it’s designed for football practice. It’s supported by air pressure. You can’t have thousands of people exiting in and out through those pressurized doors unless it’s designed for it (like the bubble part being the roof of an actual structure) which it clearly is not.

No one is going to Trenton. Trenton is a hole and way out of the way . . . Pru center makes sense. Easy to get to with transportation and relatively close. Close to NYC for those fans and a nice facility.
I've been in the Trenton arena when it was packed for college basketball (maybe Rider-Rutgers? Although I seem to remember La Salle being part of the mix). It's easily accessible by car with plenty of parking, and you can also easily get there via rail (Trenton Transit Center and down a stop or two on the RiverLine). It's actually just as easy to get to -- maybe easier -- than the LBAC. You're just not as familiar with it as you are the LBAC.

If Rutgers basketball needs an alternate venue for a season, then why not keep the games on campus by creating a temporary basketball arena inside the Bubble? Build temporary stands totaling 8,000 seats or so, similar capacity as the RAC. On basketball game days, add an indoor boardwalk, adding an experience the RAC can't provide.

Another alternative is the College Avenue Gymnasium. Add 2,000 temporary seats at the side where no seating exists today. That would bring capacity to approximately 5,000. Host a handful of big games at Madison Square Garden.
Beyond ridiculous on its face. The RAC renovation will probably be enough of a debacle because this is New Jersey and you want Rutgers to build temporary stands?

The trouble with the Trenton arena is that they don’t seem to even try there. Been there for minor league hockey, which was okay at best. The concourses are dull and drab, the concessions were minimal and the general theme toward the whole design was bare minimum. Was there a number of years for the NJSIAA TOC finals, and the behind the basket seating was an afterthought for hockey (no backward angle) and even the scoreboards lacked information that the scoreboards for the earlier rounds in Toms River contained. If it was done right, it could be a good spot for sports. But somewhere along the line, they failed. There’s a reason there are so few events there anymore, and that even Rider stopped playing select games there.

The trouble with the Trenton arena is that they don’t seem to even try there. Been there for minor league hockey, which was okay at best. The concourses are dull and drab, the concessions were minimal and the general theme toward the whole design was bare minimum. Was there a number of years for the NJSIAA TOC finals, and the behind the basket seating was an afterthought for hockey (no backward angle) and even the scoreboards lacked information that the scoreboards for the earlier rounds in Toms River contained. If it was done right, it could be a good spot for sports. But somewhere along the line, they failed. There’s a reason there are so few events there, and that even Rider stopped playing select games there.
That's all true. I think it's the lack of a steady presence there to spur any improvements. There is no real incentive with no one driving it. Rutgers playing a season or partial season there would likely be enough to make a lot of that happen.

That's all true. I think it's the lack of a steady presence there to spur any improvements. There is no real incentive with no one driving it. Rutgers playing a season or partial season there would likely be enough to make a lot of that happen.
So would Rutgers Ice Hockey.🙂

Precedents exist for this approach in the sport of rugby. When rugby went professional in the 1990s, attendance blasted higher many formerly amateur clubs. Leinster, arguably the greatest professional rugby team in the world over the past twenty years, outgrew its 6,000 capacity stadium. So, at a show horse facility in the same neighborhood, temporary stands were erected to complement an existing grandstand, creating a rugby venue of 18,000. This format is wildly successful and continues today.

In Bath, England, a temporary stand for rugby spectators is built on a large open space in the center of town. The stand is removed to accommodate cricket. This arrangement has been made permanent for the Bath rugby team, perhaps England's best.

Leinster and Bath play their biggest games at Ireland and England's larger national rugby stadiums.
You do understand that the entrance to the bubble is one revolving door so people have to go in (and out) one at a time in order to keep it blown up. Not feasible.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
You do understand that the entrance to the bubble is one revolving door so people have to go in (and out) one at a time in order to keep it blown up. Not feasible.
The bubble has no ventilation. I still smell the burnt rubber. No chance it happens in there. Do the out of conference games against the smaller schools at jadwin and the big 10 games at Pru. We could even do a few at MSG.

It’s been ages since I was inside the Livingston Rec Center (formerly the gym). Couldn’t it be reconfigured to seat a few thousand for b-ball?

Obviously not all that feasible but playing a season at the Barn honestly would be pretty awesome. Would be even more of a nightmare for visiting teams than coming to the RAC.

The B1G 10 would never allow us to play at The Barn, Kean or Monmouth. They are just too small. Only Northwestern is a comparable size to The RAC. Every other B1G 10 basketball venue is at least 50% bigger than ours.
The three choices are Newark, Trenton and Jadwin. I don't like playing in someone else's gym with all their crap hanging up all around me. Make the Trenton arena ours for a year. Hang up all our banners in the place and try to make it as close to being The RAC as possible. I could see Mercer County putting in a little refurbishing into the arena considering all the money (hotel rooms, restaurants, etc) that having B1G 10 basketball in Trenton would bring. 10+ sellout dates??? Throw in women's basketball and wrestling and that's even more revenue. The county, or whoever owns the place, would make so much more money than they are now. Currently, for the entire months of January and February the arena has a grand total of eight events scheduled, four of which are indoor lacrosse games involving something called the Trenton Terror which probably brings in scores of fans. Trenton would do back springs to have RU winter athletics there for a season. In Newark we would need to schedule around SHU, the Devils and concert dates. In Trenton, it would be our building.
When it first opened I use to go to a number of Titans games each year. If the place is fully staffed it's a nice place to watch a game.
Hopefully this is something that Hobbs is looking into.
Maybe we can bring in the Penn State lion roar and the train horn with us for the PA.
Oops sorry. Wrong thread.

Last edited:
The B1G 10 would never allow us to play at The Barn. The three choices are Newark, Trenton and Jadwin. I don't like playing in someone else's gym with all their crap hanging up all around me. Make the Trenton arena ours for a year. Hang up all our banners in the place and try to make it as close to being The RAC as possible. I could see Mercer County putting in a little refurbishing into the arena considering all the money (hotel rooms, restaurants, etc) that having B1G 10 basketball in Trenton would bring. 10+ sellout dates??? The county, or whoever owns the place, would make so much more money than they are now.
Maybe we can bring in the Penn State lion roar with us for the PA.
Oh there’s absolutely no way it would actually work. Trenton, Princeton or Newark are the only really feasible options. I agree I’d rather not play in someone else’s gym.

In the past it would have been Izod center at meadowlands. Sadly today it is an ampitheater

The B1G 10 would never allow us to play at The Barn, Kean or Monmouth. They are just too small. Only Northwestern is a comparable size to The RAC. Every other B1G 10 basketball venue is at least 50% bigger than ours.
The three choices are Newark, Trenton and Jadwin. I don't like playing in someone else's gym with all their crap hanging up all around me. Make the Trenton arena ours for a year. Hang up all our banners in the place and try to make it as close to being The RAC as possible. I could see Mercer County putting in a little refurbishing into the arena considering all the money (hotel rooms, restaurants, etc) that having B1G 10 basketball in Trenton would bring. 10+ sellout dates??? Throw in women's basketball and wrestling and that's even more revenue. The county, or whoever owns the place, would make so much more money than they are now. Currently, for the entire months of January and February the arena has a grand total of eight events scheduled, four of which are indoor lacrosse games involving something called the Trenton Terror which probably brings in scores of fans. Trenton would do back springs to have RU winter athletics there for a season. In Newark we would need to schedule around SHU, the Devils and concert dates. In Trenton, it would be our building.
When it first opened I use to go to a number of Titans games each year. If the place is fully staffed it's a nice place to watch a game.
Maybe we can bring in the Penn State lion roar and the train horn with us for the PA.

If Rutgers is smart they would play in Trenton and not the shiny new toy at prudential. Strategically they should paint the town red and have the legislature and bureaucrats have the block r in their face for 6 months. Sure some will resent it but it will likely do more to reinforce the importance of supporting Rutgers than getting hurried away at prudential.

If Rutgers is smart they would play in Trenton and not the shiny new toy at prudential. Strategically they should paint the town red and have the legislature and bureaucrats have the block r in their face for 6 months. Sure some will resent it but it will likely do more to reinforce the importance of supporting Rutgers than getting hurried away at prudential.
I mentioned doing this many times for another sport that also takes place in the winter.

But my suggestion was to reach out with an olive branch and include them instead of being confrontational with an in your face approach.

Reactions: colbert17
"Not feasible."

"Beyond ridiculous on its face."

"No chance it happens in there."

This attitude sucks.

Let Rutgers find a way to play home basketball games on campus.

The bubble must be replaced!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT