ADVERTISEMENT

Pro Bowl to experiment using the Schiano kickoff rule

The second option means that a team is never out as long as they can score.
I hope they make this into a rule for the regular season.

For safety reasons, I like the kickoff fair catch rule used in college. Results in far less collisions.

4th and 15 is not enough that will reward these high power offenses and take away the reward of playing tough D all day and then a QB gets hot in the final 5 mins

Not me. That's what the onsides kickoff is for. Too many gimmicks with the game already.

What's more gimmicky than a specific kick play that happens maybe a dozen or two dozen times a year when compared to an actual football play that would allow games to be decided by the actual players and not some lucky bounce?

Reactions: RU-05 and TonyVolt
I think they need to make the game safer, so the players should all be required to wear this:

sumo%20sneeuwpop%20(4).jpg

Not me. That's what the onsides kickoff is for. Too many gimmicks with the game already.

True, but given the recent rules change for onside kicks, their success is pretty limited. If I were coaching in a game late where my team is behind, I might think about the 4th and 15 as a viable option.

Reactions: tico brown
True, but given the recent rules change for onside kicks, their success is pretty limited. If I were coaching in a game late where my team is behind, I might think about the 4th and 15 as a viable option.
Well thats true and exactly why they need to stop fracking with the rules.

Reactions: IBleedScarlet
I think that short-lived spring league did something like that last year.

4th and 15 is not enough that will reward these high power offenses and take away the reward of playing tough D all day and then a QB gets hot in the final 5 mins

Agreed. The NFL onside kick recovery percentage has historically been slightly above 20%. A 4th and 15 conversion rate is likely much closer to 30% at the NFL level.

What exactly has made the on-side kick so difficult to successfully execute?

Its all going to be touch football soon. In 2075, people will look back on football the way people now look at surgery with no anesthetic. "OMG can you believe people used to play that game 50 yrs ago !?"

Last edited:
Agreed. The NFL onside kick recovery percentage has historically been slightly above 20%. A 4th and 15 conversion rate is likely much closer to 30% at the NFL level.
Then make it 4th and 18, or whatever. That's negotiable. The objective is to eliminate the most dangerous play in football, while speeding up the game.

They changed the rules. Why, I don't know.
1) Kicking team can no longer overload one side of the field. Must have five players on each side of the ball.
2) Kicking team can no longer get a running start. Must be stationary when ball is kicked.

They changed the rules. Why, I don't know.
1) Kicking team can no longer overload one side of the field. Must have five players on each side of the ball.
2) Kicking team can no longer get a running start. Must be stationary when ball is kicked.

Thanks! I understand Rule #2: the idea that too much momentum downfield contributes to injuries. But it does pretty much kill the on-side kick. The kickoff is an exciting part of football, but it seems to be going the way of the dodo bird.

Is my assumption you just made up 30% correct?

I doubt there are many 4th & 15 attempted to have a known rate. Where did you get the stat?

Not any more it isn't. The majority of kickoffs are touchbacks. That's a wasted minute.

I like kickoffs that result in kick returns...... unless it is an injury concern, I would move kickoffs back yet another 5or10 yards and eliminate the fair catch, get the ball at the 25 rule..... force the kickoffs to be returned

Just put it back far enough where.most kickoffs do not reach the end zone

Is my assumption you just made up 30% correct?

I doubt there are many 4th & 15 attempted to have a known rate. Where did you get the stat?

I researched it a couple years ago when challenged on this site by a poster and the conversion rate was about 28.7% over a four year period (NFL, not NCAA). The NFL play-by-play for all the seasons was (still is? I don't know) on the NFL's official site and it is. Full disclosure, I counted 4th and 13,14,15,16, and 17 to get that number.

Then make it 4th and 18, or whatever. That's negotiable. The objective is to eliminate the most dangerous play in football, while speeding up the game.

Agreed with the elimination of the most dangerous play in football. I disagree this will speed up the game. The NFL has a commercial break after a score and then another commercial break after the ensuing kickoff. They aren't going to eliminate the number of commercials for their TV partners, so we'll simply sit through longer commercial breaks.

I would eliminate the kicking tee and either punt or drop kick on kickoffs. But more kickoff return opportunities is the opposite of what football officials want.

And to eliminate the automatic XPs, have the player who scored punt the PAT.

In 2018 the NFL changed kickoff rules such that no member of the kickoff team (except for the kicker) can line up more than 1 yard behind the line of scrimmage. Before 2018, members of the kickoff team could line up 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage and get a running start, thus allowing them to get downfield faster to cover the kick and cause mayhem. In addition, there must be 5 players on each side of the ball, preventing teams from overloading one side. The rule change was reportedly implemented to reduce the amount of concussions on kickoffs. The result of the rule change has been a drop in the success rates of onside kicks. There are a number of sources that report this stat, but it seems as though the success rate has gone from approximately 15% before the rule change to about 5% after the change.

I would eliminate the kicking tee and either punt or drop kick on kickoffs. But more kickoff return opportunities is the opposite of what football officials want.

And to eliminate the automatic XPs, have the player who scored punt the PAT.
Wow - that last suggestion would be fun to watch!

My nephew will be doing something during Pro Bowl week. Hasn’t been told what yet—could be anything from setting up cones for drills to handing out Gatorade to players. I don’t think he cares. He is just glad to have his first gig at a major sports event. Has done some stuff with minor league baseball and just starting to get his feet wet . Great kid in my unbiased opinion. Hopefully Richie doesn’t end up banning me in the future for bragging about him. Rutgers AD in 2045 ? :Rutgers:):Pray: :Praying::CHOP:

not bad to try out
- would suggest a 4th and 20 from own 25 instead of onside kick

also...
- allow to try a field goal from the 50 with no defense for a 1 pt play. If convert the opposing team gets the ball on their own 20.
- kick from your own 40 for a 2 pt play and other team gets ball on their own 20
- kick from your own 32 for a 3 pt play and other team gets ball on their own 15

For after a td maybe this would be interesting to pilot in the pro bowl / preseason
- 2 yd line play for 2 pts
- 20 yd line play for 3 pts
- 15 yd line for 1 pt extra pt
- 30 yd line for 2 pt extra pt
- 40 yd line for 3 pt extra pt

Ooohhh... ooohhh.... I GOT IT!!!!!

For the PAT, there should be a free kick from the 50 (off a tee or a punt)
-It's one point it goes through the uprights.
it's a touchback if it goes out of bounds or downed in the end zone.
-Or you can have a return off the free kick like a kickoff/punt, even out of the end zone (think Auburns Kick Six).

ADVERTISEMENT