ADVERTISEMENT

Props for Oskar

BillyC80

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Simpson, Cam, Caleb and Cliff led us to victory tonight, but Oskar held his own and knocked down two big treys.

Once a forgotten man at the end of the bench, Oskar has now stepped up and filled his role like a true gamer.

Gotta love that lefty stroke from downtown…

The 3 at the top of the key wasn't a wide open look. He caught it and stepped into the shot with confidence. Absolutely loved it

Oskar's defense has been much much better too. He looks far more comfortable out there
Pickett was there but got caught with his hand down and Palmquist pulled the trigger on the one at the top.

The one in the corner was a textbook closeout by Funk going to Palmquist's left hand but he drilled it anyway.

Exactly. Having a guy at the 4 that can knock down threes at a high success rate creates challenges for our opponents.

Oskar is now 10-23 (43%) from the arc in B1G conference games.
Didn't realize he was shooting that percentage in league. Well, going forward he's going to play so hopefully he'll continue to gain confidence. It took some stones to take and knock down those threes last night.

Didn't realize he was shooting that percentage in league. Well, going forward he's going to play so hopefully he'll continue to gain confidence. It took some stones to take and knock down those threes last night.
It’s pretty amazing when you think about it. Oskar did not step onto the floor in any of our first 10 conference games. Since then he’s our most efficient 3-point shooter.

And with more minutes his confidence and awareness is now carrying over to his defense.

Oskar stayed ready through so many DNPs that he could have easily checked out, mentally. Talk about “next man up,” Oskar is that man.

Last edited:
Props to him for staying ready and stepping up on his stroke and looking confident in shooting it as well as how timely his made 3’s have been.
Also props for his improved defense as toughness and awareness as to where the ball is and where the ball is coming off the rim is still a problem.
Don’t want to rain on this positive thread but he has to grab a damn rebound. We won the game with a miracle comeback that he assisted along with Derek , Caleb Cam and Cliff but I was freaking out over the 3,4 or 5 additional chances we gave Penn State in that second half. Someone other than Cliff and Caleb have to grab a rebound on the defensive glass. Paul and Oscar and Cam have to all do a better job of it. If Oscar can go get more rebounds that will help our defense and holding teams below their average even more.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Cam has been great on the glass for a guard - no?
Definitely decent but has to do more because Paul is doing next to nothing on the defensive glass and Aundre and Oscar are doing nothing to help Cliff most nights but definitely last night. Overall , Cam a headier player and gets some offensive rebounds as well. But we have been outrebounded a lot in almost all the games since Mag went down

Definitely decent but has to do more because Paul is doing next to nothing on the defensive glass and Aundre and Oscar are doing nothing to help Cliff most nights but definitely last night. Overall , Cam a headier player and gets some offensive rebounds as well. But we have been outrebounded a lot in almost all the games since Mag went down
We’re not as good a rebounding team without Mag. There’s no doubt about that.

In the PSU game though - it seemed to me their offensive rebounds were more about surprise on the part of RU that PSU actually started attempting to rebound them suddenly. It caught us off guard. Up until that point in the game PSU had dropped back on defense every posession after their shots.

In the PSU game though - it seemed to me their offensive rebounds were more about surprise on the part of RU that PSU actually started attempting to rebound them suddenly. It caught us off guard. Up until that point in the game PSU had dropped back on defense every posession after their shots.
They were still chucking 3’s as Caleb was either locking down Pickett or when we doubled him with Paul and took the ball out of Pickett’s hands , we were scrambling to the shooters, Lundy and Funk and Winter , but we lost track of the ball and did not go after it aggressively enough. That should never happen. One second chance rebound is understandable with the way a 3 comes off the rim but to allow 2,3 , or 4 was criminal and almost cost us.

I know this is kind of obvious, but we're going to need to find ways to get rebounding back to pre-Mag-injury levels to have a good shot in the remaining games and tournament(s). We're not a great shooting team, so D is obviously critical, but rebounding, which has fallen off some, is also critical to our chances for success.

No doubt Pike and the assistants hammer that point home a lot w/the players. Seemed like, in the second half of the PSU game in particular, our guys were really working hard for rebounds, sometimes even getting in each-other's way a bit. A lot of the PSU rebounds were long off-the-rim types, which are gonna happen when our guys are crashing the boards hard.

First game ive felt he held his own on the D end and did more than stand waiting for a corner three. Really was impressed with him. I like how they used him.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Pike clearly cognizant of getting guys that can score out there--Simpson, Hyatt and Oskar.

My guess-and desire-is that whoever of the three is hot gets the minutes.

Well if you watch the games Oskar is also prob the only person who boxes out properly on defense. That said, I don’t know if he knows what to do when the balls comes to him though

Still playing much better

Reactions: MV9000
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT