ADVERTISEMENT

QB--Evan Simon

jonS

All American
Gold Member
Jan 14, 2002
Evan Simon was a highly regarded Pro-style QB when he committed to Rutgers in the 2020 class. He had offers from such colleges as Colorado, Minnesota , Syracuse , w. Va., Cinci and Pitt. Can he overtake Art and become the #2 backup to Vedral? Does stand any chance of even starting at QB? I hope Schiano and Gleason give him every opportunity to beat out the incumbents.

Am I off in thinking Vedral has two more years? He had two years originally and if last year was a throwaway?

Am I off in thinking Vedral has two more years? He had two years originally and if last year was a throwaway?

IMO (and I have no inside info)....Gavin starts day 1. Period.

Learn on the job...because otherwise we might not have landed him and he adds so much to the intangibles (recruitment) ...since other recruits probably see him as a future NFL'er.

MO

Reactions: LukeRU90
I don’t think there’s been a time that when we’ve gotten to actually see what our options can do on the field we didn’t end up landing on who our coaches had already chosen as tops. I think we can be very confident that they QB who gives us the best chance to win will be the starter.

Last edited:
The amount of people that legitimately don't want Art to succeed at Rutgers is embarrassing. I hate the "Anyone but Art" fans. Simon has literally never played in a game. We have a three-headed monster at QB that keeps defenses off balance with their different skill sets. Let's keep it rolling.

The amount of people that legitimately don't want Art to succeed at Rutgers is embarrassing. I hate the "Anyone but Art" fans. Simon has literally never played in a game. We have a three-headed monster at QB that keeps defenses off balance with their different skill sets. Let's keep it rolling.
I hope Art can grow. But he has not shown an ability to read a defense in college, and even back to high school. The coaches did a nice job of utilizing his talents but the were pre determined throws for the most part.

Is there an identity group here that are now classified as Anyone but Art?

Is there an identity group here that are now classified as Anyone but Art?
Funny thing, nobody expressed such a sentiment in this thread. A simple question was asked if Simon could overtake Art as #2 and be backup to Vedral. Think that most fans just want the QB who puts RU in the best position to win. Most fans also respect Artur's work ethic and sticking with the team and continuing to put the work in . May the best QB win the competition and win on the field!

Art is the Sam Darnold of RU football. Thrown to the wolves with not much of a supporting class. Flashes of talent but poor decision making and trying to throw while you're laying flat on your back due to terrible O line play. Feel bad for the guy because he's been a good soldier throughout it all.

Last edited:
Funny thing, nobody expressed such a sentiment in this thread. A simple question was asked if Simon could overtake Art as #2 and be backup to Vedral. Think that most fans just want the QB who puts RU in the best position to win. Most fans also respect Artur's work ethic and sticking with the team and continuing to put the work in . May the best QB win the competition and win on the field!
Bt the question reveals so much...

1) the assumption that Art cannot beat out Vedral.. and if anyone watched last season it was clear that Vedral was not much better, if at all. Last season had me wondering if Vedral was promised the starting job and that's why we kept seeing him rather than Art... even when he struggled early in games.

2) searching for a replacement for Art rather than one for Vedral.

So, yeah, I think the thought about an "anyone but Art" posse is reasonable.

I happen to like Art a lot. Great kid, personable, mature . He's got the arm but hasn't shown the ability to read defenses and make plays. My topic was not centered around " anyone but Art". Rather I was more interested in getting thoughts about Evan Simon. Or Cole Snyder for that matter.

Art is the Sam Darmold of RU football. Thrown to the wolves with not much of a supporting class. Flashes of talent but poor decision making and trying to throw while you're laying flat on your back due to terrible O line play. Feel bad for the guy because he's been a good soldier throughout it all.
Good soldier????? Didn't he ask for a transfer the day before the first game of the season, leaving the head coach up a tree. Gotta wonder how his teammates felt about that. Or am I thinking of the running back?

Good soldier????? Didn't he ask for a transfer the day before the first game of the season, leaving the head coach up a tree. Gotta wonder how his teammates felt about that. Or am I thinking of the running back?
I believe that after Ash was fired he told Nunzio he wanted to redshirt but would play if needed.
It was Raheem Blackshear that said he wasn't going to play anymore on game day.

1) the assumption that Art cannot beat out Vedral.. and if anyone watched last season it was clear that Vedral was not much better, if at all. Last season had me wondering if Vedral was promised the starting job and that's why we kept seeing him rather than Art... even when he struggled early in games.

The question reveals nothing but the fact that when healthy, Vedral was the starter, and presumably, he will be the starter unless beat out at camp.

Vedral had 221 passing attempts in 7 games . 9 TDs, 8 INTs, 193 yds rushing
Art had 81 passing attempts in 4 games. 3 TDs, No INTs, 2 yds rushing.

Similar completion %. As has been discussed here, Vedral's style is more suited to the offense they ran last year.

Will Gleeson tweak the offense to fit Artur's style/skills if he comes on strong in camp? That remains to be seem.

So, it was a question about the #2 with a same presumption and no sleighted slight against Artur.

Do t think you can win using three QB. I hope that Simon get a shot this spring. One thing for sure after spring one or two QBs will be transferring

In fairness to Art, he hasn't had a good opportunity to develop...given the Ash disaster and then an abbreviated cattywampus fall session... this season he's had a full year to develop in Gleeson's system so he should have every chance to compete as Evan, Cole, and Johnny.

Or we can say you are one of those "Art Is The Only Savior" fans that can't grasp that he played at his best last season when the plays were scripted at the start of games but then regresses to the point that he needs to be pulled before very bad things happen. The only outlier was the UMd game.

Great kid and teammate don't equal success or unlimited opportunities to prove yourself. Unless they bring in a transfer after spring practice Vedral is the starter and Simon will get a long look during the spring. If he does well he will be on the depth chart.

Wouldn't mind seeing Snyder or Simon step up into the starting role. Both probably better arms than Vedral and faster than Sitowski. This offense needs both threats from the qb to be effective. I liked Snyder's cameo in 2019.

Or we can say you are one of those "Art Is The Only Savior" fans that can't grasp that he played at his best last season when the plays were scripted at the start of games but then regresses to the point that he needs to be pulled before very bad things happen. The only outlier was the UMd game.

Great kid and teammate don't equal success or unlimited opportunities to prove yourself. Unless they bring in a transfer after spring practice Vedral is the starter and Simon will get a long look during the spring. If he does well he will be on the depth chart.

I know reading is hard for you, but why would I talk about the three headed monster if I thought Art was the only guy? Get better glasses.

I know reading is hard for you, but why would I talk about the three headed monster if I thought Art was the only guy? Get better glasses.
A three headed monster is not what RU had last season. That would imply effectiveness by all three. Langan was a short yardage package that fizzled as the year went on & Art only came in when Vedral couldn’t play and got yanked in both games he started. Care to swing and miss again?

A few things. In general, we know what our current game contributors bring to the table because we have seen it. Sitkowski and Vedral have had lots of game time to show us who they are and are known commodities. If one of the younger guys does unseat one of them, then by definition we have improved. It generally means that the unproven player made a big jump and moved ahead of the incumbent who didn't change, or improved at a slower rate. So rooting for the unproven understudy is not a vendetta against the incumbent. It is simply just rooting for an upgrade at the position.

Second, Art was not close to Vedral. Both players had their moments. But Art almost turned the ball over many times and had stretches (in his later appearances last year) where he was consistently inaccurate and couldn't hit open receivers. He got lucky and didn't have a bunch of turnovers, but most of us, including all the RU football beat reporters, 100% saw why GS and Gleeson wanted to limit the amount time Sitkowski was in the game and didn't feel comfortable relying on him. Every passing down was an adventure in the bad way. Vedral was a better smarter player.

Asking if Simon could unseat Sitkowski as the #2, and not asking if Simon could unseat Vedral, just seems logical given the information we have. Simon seems pretty good, but we haven't heard any reports that Simon is lighting it up and challenging for the starting position. GS and SG seemed set on Vedral (prior to Wimsett). So it seems much more likely that Simon would unseat Sitkowsky. It's nothing against him.

Finally, there is zero chance GS played Vedral despite thinking that Sitkowski gave us a better chance to win for some hidden reason. No chance of that happening because GS made a recruiting promise to Vedral, or for any reason.

Evan Simon was a highly regarded Pro-style QB when he committed to Rutgers in the 2020 class. He had offers from such colleges as Colorado, Minnesota , Syracuse , w. Va., Cinci and Pitt. Can he overtake Art and become the #2 backup to Vedral? Does stand any chance of even starting at QB? I hope Schiano and Gleason give him every opportunity to beat out the incumbents.
I hate comments like you hope Schiano and gleeson gave him every opportunity. Do you know anything about Schiano ???

I’m sure I’m not the only one who thinks Cole Snyder is the best QB on the roster. The Flacco syndrome, seemed to light it up in the spring game and then never to be heard from again - although he did play a series at OSU and looked very impressive. He’s fast and has a slinger for an arm, you can’t teach speed and you can’t teach arm power. Oh well I hope he comes through with the coaches

I’m sure I’m not the only one who thinks Cole Snyder is the best QB on the roster. The Flacco syndrome, seemed to light it up in the spring game and then never to be heard from again - although he did play a series at OSU and looked very impressive. He’s fast and has a slinger for an arm, you can’t teach speed and you can’t teach arm power. Oh well I hope he comes through with the coaches
I don’t know if he is the best QB on the roster, but GS mentioned him as showing progress last season. Not sure why many have written him off already. I hope every QB gets a fair chance and finds a role here or someplace to play.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
Our coaches will put the QB that gives us the best chance to win on the field. Pretty simple.

no- this has not always been the case. Back in the day when we needed to get the NJ HS coaches on our side, we had to start guys because of how it may affect recruiting. If you are following closely- GS isn't playing it that way this time. He is acting like a P5 coach and not coddling to NJ Coaches.

Reactions: Knightmoves
Can anyone tell me why Peyton Powell, who was a 4⭐Dual QB when he committed to Baylor and is now on our roster as a DB for some reason not getting a mention? Does he not want to be a QB anymore?

Second, Art was not close to Vedral. Both players had their moments. But Art almost turned the ball over many times and had stretches (in his later appearances last year) where he was consistently inaccurate and couldn't hit open receivers. He got lucky and didn't have a bunch of turnovers, but most of us, including all the RU football beat reporters, 100% saw why GS and Gleeson wanted to limit the amount time Sitkowski was in the game and didn't feel comfortable relying on him. Every passing down was an adventure in the bad way. Vedral was a better smarter player.
Disagree.

Vedral had just as many close calls even though he often tucked and ran rather than find a receiver downfield. QBs are QBs for their arm. If we wanted a running QB just direct snap to an RB who played some QB.

beat reporters? really? that's your backup.. and imagining what Gleeson "felt"?

Gleeson's playbook that he brought from OK State was for a running QB. That's why Vedral was playing.. and all too often we did NOT run him.. even when running him was the right move.

It was a very confusing season at the QB position... but if you and the "beat reporters" did not see that Sitkowski's arm made him worth developing,I don't know what to tell you. Keep in mind.. AS offered to leave.. and they did not boot him... they made him backup instead of using another QB who could run. There had to be a reason for that.

Whenever we got into a situation where Vedral did not show he had "it" that day.. or that we needed to throw deep a lot.. Sitkowski should have been given the ball. And later in the season, as you say, he was.. and defenses KNEW we needed to throw... totally different scenario than starting at 0-0.

And zero chance that GS made a recruiting promise that he stuck to? Where do you come up with that? really? ZERO? while hitting the transfer portal and wanting to find a legit QB and competing with other possible destinations? really? ZERO?

Can anyone tell me why Peyton Powell, who was a 4⭐Dual QB when he committed to Baylor and is now on our roster as a DB for some reason not getting a mention? Does he not want to be a QB anymore?

If he could add more value as a QB he'd be in the QB room but he isn't. Just like Langan would be elsewhere on the roster if they didn't have that special package for him.

Disagree.

Vedral had just as many close calls even though he often tucked and ran rather than find a receiver downfield. QBs are QBs for their arm. If we wanted a running QB just direct snap to an RB who played some QB.

beat reporters? really? that's your backup.. and imagining what Gleeson "felt"?

Gleeson's playbook that he brought from OK State was for a running QB. That's why Vedral was playing.. and all too often we did NOT run him.. even when running him was the right move.

It was a very confusing season at the QB position... but if you and the "beat reporters" did not see that Sitkowski's arm made him worth developing,I don't know what to tell you. Keep in mind.. AS offered to leave.. and they did not boot him... they made him backup instead of using another QB who could run. There had to be a reason for that.

Whenever we got into a situation where Vedral did not show he had "it" that day.. or that we needed to throw deep a lot.. Sitkowski should have been given the ball. And later in the season, as you say, he was.. and defenses KNEW we needed to throw... totally different scenario than starting at 0-0.

And zero chance that GS made a recruiting promise that he stuck to? Where do you come up with that? really? ZERO? while hitting the transfer portal and wanting to find a legit QB and competing with other possible destinations? really? ZERO?
Zero chance. Totally stand by that.

I also stand by the idea that citing sports reporters as relevant experts to bolster your argument is perfectly reasonable.

And finally on the assessment of the two QBs, we will just have to agree to disagree. Other than noting that my assessment matches the coaches and sports reporters, people can watch the same game and have different opinions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT