ADVERTISEMENT

QB guess

Schiano has made pretty good decisions on QB choices over the years based on what he had. I trust him to make the right decision, whether it is platoon, or one over the other. And... if it doesn't work out, he has enough wisdom on knowing when to swithch to alternative QB.

Watch this sequence of plays by Vedral. Quick outs and slants to the RB and TE. Could see Pacheco being used like #10 (Spielmann who is a WR) or to Melton or Cruickshank in the video and our TE being used like their #86.

We can only hope Vedral can perform like Dru Brown did in his first start for Oklahoma. Lots of quick outs and bubble screens.

Vedral's highlights look decent - nice mobility and hit his receivers almost exclusively on shorter routes. Now compare to this reel from Sit vs. BC (seems to be ALL of his plays, not just highlights). Not as mobile clearly, but he rolled out and hit receivers downfield, showed some good pocket mobility and had some very nice throws 20+ yards downfield. His freshman year was a disaster. But he was a true freshman who was not ready yet, playing in the BIG East with a terrible OL, limited receiving weapons, and limited coaching. He showed a lot of improvement in the two games he played last year, and he is only a RS Soph. I hope it's Sit and I hope he continues on this trajectory and kills it this year. There is a lot of talent and potential there. Will be fun to watch no matter who emerges.

Vedral's highlights look decent - nice mobility and hit his receivers almost exclusively on shorter routes. Now compare to this reel from Sit vs. BC (seems to be ALL of his plays, not just highlights). Not as mobile clearly, but he rolled out and hit receivers downfield, showed some good pocket mobility and had some very nice throws 20+ yards downfield. His freshman year was a disaster. But he was a true freshman who was not ready yet, playing in the BIG East with a terrible OL, limited receiving weapons, and limited coaching. He showed a lot of improvement in the two games he played last year, and he is only a RS Soph. I hope it's Sit and I hope he continues on this trajectory and kills it this year. There is a lot of talent and potential there. Will be fun to watch no matter who emerges.

Fans of Art will always have the BC game to point out. RU scored 16 points and lost by 2 TD’s. That game was Arts RU highlight film. Hope he shows this type of performance this season.

Fans of Art will always have the BC game to point out. RU scored 16 points and lost by 2 TD’s. That game was Arts RU highlight film. Hope he shows this type of performance this season.

Yep it's their crutch while they willfully ignore the UM game and the 2nd half in relief at Iowa. Problem is most of the schedule doesn't have a crap defense like BC's last year. That said Art did improve certain parts of his game last season. But is it enough to survive behind our bad OL?

All I know is there won't be a platoon. They have a starter and not naming who is just gamesmanship with MSU who are doing the same thing.

I saw some minor improvements in the limited time he played last season. However, he was great against a bad defense (BC) and not so great against a really good defenses (UM & Iowa). So hard to really say with just 2.5 games played.

In hindsight, him bailing out on the team and redshirting was probably the worst thing for him. He could have used those games and put the doubts to rest as well as getting valuable game experience. It also gave the new staff a reason to pursue a transfer QB.

RU fans shouldn't really expect the offense to come out roaring no matter who is at QB. It will take several weeks to work out the kinks on the field so we should expect inconsistent results.

A partial bailout unlike Quitshear. I am in the other camp. I think it was the best thing for Sit to use his RS. The team was circling the toilet bowl and he would have been slaughtered behind that line. Langan was serviceable because as soon as he realized his first option was covered (or at least he looked in that direction), he tucked the ball and ran..and he was pretty good at doing just that.

Free Johnny.

You have to admit the kid has heart and is a warrior!

I still think Verdral starts but I wouldn't mind Johnny coming in at this point either...

If you see Johnny coming in to take a snap, there is a 99% chance the ball will be handed off or a QB sneak is planned. That's all he should be out there for...running, running, and more running...without any attempts to pass the ball.

Yep it's their crutch while they willfully ignore the UM game and the 2nd half in relief at Iowa. Problem is most of the schedule doesn't have a crap defense like BC's last year. That said Art did improve certain parts of his game last season. But is it enough to survive behind our bad OL?

All I know is there won't be a platoon. They have a starter and not naming who is just gamesmanship with MSU who are doing the same thing.

Exactly what do you expect from Art in the Michigan game? The game was freshmen against varsity from a talent standpoint. Yet, he went 17/24 with no interceptions. Heck, Isaih Pacheco only had 23 yards rushing in the game and he's probably the best player on this team.

Believe me, the Michigan game does not need to be ignored for Art supporters. (BTW, I still think Vedral should start if he's as good as his highlight video.)

And how did that worked out?
YOU SAID: Schiano loves those prototypical pro-style quarterbacks.

I SAID: Schiano went to the Wild Knight many times.

My point had nothing to do with whether the Wild Knight worked or not.. it was in response to what you said Schiano's preference was.

YOU SAID: Schiano loves those prototypical pro-style quarterbacks.

I SAID: Schiano went to the Wild Knight many times.

My point had nothing to do with whether the Wild Knight worked or not.. it was in response to what you said Schiano's preference was.
I didn't realize Mohammed Sanu and Jabu Lovelace started QB and played the majority of the snaps in those games, not 15 snaps a game, tops.

Reactions: Section124
Would love to say Art, but that's not Schiano's style. Schiano is a showman as much as he is a coach and knows the importance of optics. Even if Art were slightly better in practice Schiano is going to pick a "new guy" to show that things are different now and that this is his team - generate some excitement.

Reactions: NickKnight 1
Exactly what do you expect from Art in the Michigan game? The game was freshmen against varsity from a talent standpoint. Yet, he went 17/24 with no interceptions. Heck, Isaih Pacheco only had 23 yards rushing in the game and he's probably the best player on this team.

Believe me, the Michigan game does not need to be ignored for Art supporters. (BTW, I still think Vedral should start if he's as good as his highlight video.)

All we ever hear about from the Art camp is the BC game and never a full review of the games he played. It's like they don't exist.

The BC game showed what Art can do with a semi-clean pocket. But that's not going to be the norm so it's hard to envision him doing well with multiple new starters on the OL and no experienced backups. I think we agree there.

Frankly he's on the wrong team to maximize his skill sets. RU won't have that OL stability for a few years due to that talent gap. He needs to transfer to a team that has that OL stability so he can succeed.

All we ever hear about from the Art camp is the BC game and never a full review of the games he played. It's like they don't exist.

The BC game showed what Art can do with a semi-clean pocket. But that's not going to be the norm so it's hard to envision him doing well with multiple new starters on the OL and no experienced backups. I think we agree there.

Frankly he's on the wrong team to maximize his skill sets. RU won't have that OL stability for a few years due to that talent gap. He needs to transfer to a team that has that OL stability so he can succeed.

Well, I really don't care about where he should go and what the team has (or doesn't have) at this time. If he is the best QB on this team, I want him as the starter and once again, the "Art camp" have every right to point to the Michigan game because he played well. He certainly was not the problem that day (which means that he wasn't the problem in all the games that he started last season).

Meanwhile, Art bashers continue to bring up the Buffalo and Kansas game from his TRUE freshman year which isn't fair either. He was a better QB last year with the talent discrepancy and he may even be better now.

In short, Vedral may be the better QB and the starter for the MSU game, and that's fine with me. However, unlike some posters, I will not be disappointed if Gleeson and Schiano feel otherwise.

Well, I really don't care about where he should go and what the team has (or doesn't have) at this time. If he is the best QB on this team, I want him as the starter and once again, the "Art camp" have every right to point to the Michigan game because he played well. He certainly was not the problem that day (which means that he wasn't the problem in all the games that he started last season).

Meanwhile, Art bashers continue to bring up the Buffalo and Kansas game from his TRUE freshman year which isn't fair either. He was a better QB last year with the talent discrepancy and he may even be better now.

In short, Vedral may be the better QB and the starter for the MSU game, and that's fine with me. However, unlike some posters, I will not be disappointed if Gleeson and Schiano feel otherwise.
Well said. Artur does sometimes make those "wtf" throws... but if you watch enough games with "name" QBs you'll see they all do it. But, yes.. he needs better vision.. but he has so much else going for him. The courage to step up and make throws knowing he will be hit is something we haven't seen here for a long time.

And he has the arm and form to make throws everywhere on the field... if the OC will use the whole field and we have the speed and height at WR to take advantage.. and time to pass.. "clean pocket" as you say.

And one way to assist that is being better at everything on offense.. and calling plays to punish those Ds that just load up and blitz every down because they just don't fear anything we can do. Who plays QB doesn't matter with that.

I'd go into every game assuming the D will run blitz on every down.. and call plays to punish that until they stop doing it. And that is the quick slants and the TE over the middle where the LBs leave open to blitz. I cannot stand to see defenses tip that blitz and for us to do nothing about it.

If Schiano decides Sit over Vedral, NP. Let's see what happens. Heres hoping for the best.

I just want to know how come Jonathan Lewis never got a chance at QB.

Agreed - will be very disappointed if it's not Vedral.
There is one thing that confuses me. Greg brings back Sit, knowing he is going with a system
Sit is not equipped to handle, then why did he bring him in. doesn't seem fair to Sit, and after he
says he's, in the coach hires a OC that has a system Sit would not excel in.

I never understood why toss a guy out if you picked up another QB? You're always one play away from playing the "other" guy. Besides, competition is good for the health of the program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT