ADVERTISEMENT

QB of Your favorite Team When you Started Watching Football?

Roger Stauback and the Dallas Cowboys until I made that gutsy call to switch to Richard Todd and the Jers and have been utterly disappointed since

College ND and the Fighting Irish Joe Montana until I made to call to switch to RU and the new stadium. Been ecstatic since

You have to remember that if teams didn't sell out they were blacked out on TV. The Giants rarely sold out for a long stretch of time, mainly because they weren't good after 1963. So as a kid I saw many Cowboys, Packers and 49er games on Sunday. And Sport Illustrated was king back then and they highlighted the best.
I also don't believe in the "you have to root for local team" crap. If Bob Lily played for the Giants I most likely would have become a Giants fan. But he didn't, so I'm not.

So true. I remember as a young kid saying "We got to watch 10 of 14 games on TV this season!" The Redskins always sold out back then, so I guess it away games that were somehow blacked out...

Joe Namath passing to Don Maynard, Eddie Bell, Jerome Barkum and Richard Caster. Handing off to Emerson Boozer, Matt Snell, John Riggins and Mike Adamle

It always amazed me how many people rooted for non NY teams as evidenced by this thread.

I think one reason is that for a long time the Jets and Giants were bad teams. I should have been a Jets fan since they used to practice in my town when I was a kid. But after 1969 the Jets went on a crash where they wouldn't have double digit wins again for 12 years. They had a lot of 3-4 win seasons. The Giants were also bad all through 70s and part of 80s. That's one reason I was a Steelers fan. The other reason was just that the Lambert/Greene/Bradshaw Steelers are still the best team I ever saw - and not just for play but for the way the team was made. The free agent thing wasn't around yet. The Steelers were an organizational team with a lot of characters. There's like 10 HOF players off the Noll dynasty teams. Imagine 10 HOF players at same time on Jets or Giants. 10 HOF players on Jets and Giants combined would be a feat. I've been a Giants fan since Parcells but what the Steelers did was nuts

Reactions: RUScrew85
I think one reason is that for a long time the Jets and Giants were bad teams. I should have been a Jets fan since they used to practice in my town when I was a kid. But after 1969 the Jets went on a crash where they wouldn't have double digit wins again for 12 years. They had a lot of 3-4 win seasons. The Giants were also bad all through 70s and part of 80s. That's one reason I was a Steelers fan. The other reason was just that the Lambert/Greene/Bradshaw Steelers are still the best team I ever saw - and not just for play but for the way the team was made. The free agent thing wasn't around yet. The Steelers were an organizational team with a lot of characters. There's like 10 HOF players off the Noll dynasty teams. Imagine 10 HOF players at same time on Jets or Giants. 10 HOF players on Jets and Giants combined would be a feat. I've been a Giants fan since Parcells but what the Steelers did was nuts
This is why my interest in pro sports waned a long time ago. It used to mean something to be part of a certain organization. You were drafted because of certain characteristics, or you fell into them after ending up with a certain team. Now, pro franchises are basically just corporate offices, with workers shuffled between them. A Cowboy last year can be a Redskin this year. Last year's Yankee is this year's Oriole.

Not that I begrudge the players for getting their due. Curt Flood is a brave man to me, and the players were treated like slaves before free-agency. But it just makes it less interesting for me...

Where are the YA Tittle guys.
I just missed him, I saw the gap between YA and Tarkenton get filled by Earl Morrell and Gary Wood.

Started with Joe Namath when I was 10, then enjoyed watching Kenny Stabler, Dan Marino and Dan Fouts sling it. If I were a kid today it would have to be Patrick Mahomes.

Wow. OP says "football" and only a handful talk college QB. I am so much more a college fan than any pro sport.

Joe Theisman when he went from south river to ND.

I should add Ed McMichael (sp) from early Rutgers days.

Wow. OP says "football" and only a handful talk college QB. I am so much more a college fan than any pro sport.

Joe Theisman when he went from south river to ND.

I should add Ed McMichael (sp) from early Rutgers days.

It was hard to watch college football before ESPN was allowed to broadcast college games in later 80s. I was born with Army booties and lived near West Point. I never saw an Army game on TV that wasn't against NAVY. Didn't see any Syracuse games either. CFB barley existed in NY aside from some Sat games on ABC.

I just missed him, I saw the gap between YA and Tarkenton get filled by Earl Morrell and Gary Wood.

Y.A.'s tenure was short enough that a lot of potential votes would go to Connerly.

It was hard to watch college football before ESPN was allowed to broadcast college games in later 80s. I was born with Army booties and lived near West Point. I never saw an Army game on TV that wasn't against NAVY. Didn't see any Syracuse games either. CFB barley existed in NY aside from some Sat games on ABC.

Typically a 1PM East or Midwest game followed by a 4PM West Coast game.

Reactions: ashokan
I probably have a few years on you. I was a Rams fan - Gabriel, Snow, Olsen, Jones.
Yes- those Rams team spawned a generation of lifelong Rams fans. I grew up watching guys like James Harris and Pat Haden. And of course, Jaws came over to Philly for Charles Young.
Bert Jones belongs on a list of the best quarterbacks I've ever seen.
Those were some good Colts teams - Jones, Lydell Mitchell, Roger Carr, Raymond Chester, Stan White, John Dutton, etc. They lost a classic OT playoff game vs. the Raiders back in the day.

Reactions: RULoyal
Guess I'm surprised at how few fell in love with a team or QB from going as a kid in person. I saw my first games when I was like 4 or 5 at Princeton.

Reactions: thegock and ashokan
Guess I'm surprised at how few fell in love with a team or QB from going as a kid in person. I saw my first games when I was like 4 or 5 at Princeton.
Why? Back then, at least my generation, only adult men (and some adult women) went to games. Look at old films of the NFL and MLB games and it's mostly all men for the most part. College was different but not by much. Consider yourself lucky to be young and see them.

Why? Back then, at least my generation, only adult men (and some adult women) went to games. Look at old films of the NFL and MLB games and it's mostly all men for the most part. College was different but not by much. Consider yourself lucky to be young and see them.
Why? Because the forum isn't just full of old farts like us lol.

I should add I became a fan of Joe because I actually listened to him on wctc and being a central jersey kid was excited when was a star at ND..who I USED to like.

Last edited:
Reactions: WhiteBus

I should add I became a fan of Joe because I actually listened to him on wctc and being a central jersey kid was excited when was a star at ND..who I USED to like.
Well us old farts have more experience and are smarter. Just saying. Lol

I graduated from SRHS with him. My brother dated his sister Patty in high school. Still not enough for me to ever root for the Ighting Firish.

Charlie Connerly is the answer for me as well. MDK01 no doubt remembers the sudden-death championship game between the Baltimore Colts and the New York Giants. I lived in NYC so the game was blacked out.

Now I remember why I don't remember watching the game

Reactions: retired711
Terry Bradshaw then I realized I had to be an Iggles fan. Roman Gabriel.

Wood and Morrell for me: ‘65 NY Football Giants, just when they started to suck. Listening to Marty Glickman, Chip Cipolla and Al DeRegotis on WNEW AM for the blacked out home games.

Same for following the Yanks, in ’65, right after the WS run. Rough start to my fandom.

Reactions: rutger80 and zappaa
ADVERTISEMENT