ADVERTISEMENT

QB of Your favorite Team When you Started Watching Football?

Played against Steve in the East West Shrine Game.

Where they stacked the West roster and left us in the East with some unknown guys...(like me).

Like the old Blue-Gray game on Christmas Day. Announcing starters:

"For the Blue:
At offensive tackle, from Amherst
At quarterback, from Temple......

For the Grey:
At defensive end, from Alabama
At linebacker, from LSU...."

They are not my favorite team anymore. But when I was 10-15 yrs old I remember picking out Steeler pajamas with feet and Steeler fuzzy slippers from the Christmas Sears catalog.

Ken Anderson- Bengals (should be in the Hall of Fame)

Close 2nd - Roger Staubach.

I was actually a Cowboys fan in the 70s and a closet Bengals fan but once Staubach retired I was started rooting exclusively for the Bengals

JOE NAMATH 1974

Most overrated QB of all time. Has no business in the Hall. Is he the only QB in the Hall with more interceptions than TDs ?

Terry “dumb dumb” Bradshaw ( as my father used to call him) is overrated too but you can’t argue with four rings. Guy had a great team around him and a D that kept getting him the ball back

Reactions: thegock
Ken Anderson- Bengals (should be in the Hall of Fame)

Close 2nd - Roger Staubach.

I was actually a Cowboys fan in the 70s and a closet Bengals fan but once Staubach retired I was started rooting exclusively for the Bengals
That was a bad choice lol

My brother played against BU at Nickerson and Harvard at their Coliseum, he thought they were cool sites

Played in summer lacrosse leagues at Nickerson for a couple of years after college. That turf was brutal, like outdoor carpeting over cement. I was amazed they played football on it.

Played in summer lacrosse leagues at Nickerson for a couple of years after college. That turf was brutal, like outdoor carpeting over cement. I was amazed they played football on it.
Yes, commonly known as worst turf in America
Philadelphia Vet, not far behind

Phil Simms was my favorite. "Stay down Joe" Pisarcik was probably runner up. Namath 3rd place.

My son bought me a plaque of Lawrence Taylor hugging Phil Simms on Phil's retirement day. They both signed it. Its a treasured possession along with my Greg Schiano (first time around) and Warren Wolf (my avatar) Autographed pics.

Reactions: NewJerseyGuy
Terry “dumb dumb” Bradshaw ( as my father used to call him) is overrated too but you can’t argue with four rings. Guy had a great team around him and a D that kept getting him the ball back

Brad was also NFL MVP. Bradshaw was a killer with the long ball and that's how the Steelers offense was set-up. All power running and long but accurate passes to HOF WRs Swann and Stallworth (who I thought was better than Swann). Bradshaw was national Javelin record holder in HS (close to 250 feet). He wasn't going to thread needles like Marino but he could take a 12 step drop and throw 60 yards for competitions. It was fun to watch since as you watched the punishing old skool running game you knew the bombs were coming.

efrbvaU.gif

Brad was also NFL MVP. Bradshaw was a killer with the long ball and that's how the Steelers offense was set-up. All power running and long but accurate passes to HOF WRs Swann and Stallworth (who I thought was better than Swann). Bradshaw was national Javelin record holder in HS (close to 250 feet). He wasn't going to thread needles like Marino but he could take a 12 step drop and throw 60 yards for competitions. It was fun to watch since as you watched the punishing old skool running game you knew the bombs were coming.

efrbvaU.gif

Early in Bradshaw's career in Pittsburgh, he was one of three quarterbacks with the team along with Terry Hanratty and Joe Gilliam. The saying was that the Steelers had "one quarterback who could run, one who could pass, and one who could think." Bradshaw was neither the one who could pass or the one who could think. But he developed, obviously, into a HOF quarterback.

Early in Bradshaw's career in Pittsburgh, he was one of three quarterbacks with the team along with Terry Hanratty and Joe Gilliam. The saying was that the Steelers had "one quarterback who could run, one who could pass, and one who could think." Bradshaw was neither the one who could pass or the one who could think. But he developed, obviously, into a HOF quarterback.

I remember the conflict between Bradshaw and Noll even though I was a kid. Bradshaw struggled early on, but Noll made things much worse than they had to be. Bradshaw had a QB coach (Babe Parilli) in his first 2 years and then he was either fired or quit. Noll took over as QB coach but he was a defensive coach who knew little about offense and less about coaching a QB. Noll took the popular 70s approach (Lombardi inspired) and tried to ride and humiliate Bradshaw into progress - often publicly.

The heart of the Steelers was the defense and that's on Noll, so I wont say he was a bad coach. Maybe Noll's ridicule even made Bradshaw better in long run. But I do think progress was delayed somewhat by Noll's tear downs. Even Parcells knew you could rag at some guys and not others. Bradshaw took to ragging poorly. No other QB was dissed publicly the way TB was by Noll. The whole "Terry is dumb" thing started with Noll - and Keep in mind TB was only QB calling his own plays at that time. Indeed if Noll had been smarter the Steelers offense would have had more polish instead of just trap plays and bombs.

Babe Parilli - Boston Patriots. Was actually their 3rd starter following Butch Songin and Tom Greene, two guys I don't remember.
Was already a Red Sox fan since 1958, so became a Patriots fan as soon as it was announced that the AFL was being established and Boston would have a team. Those many, many, many lean years as fans of both teams set me up perfectly to be a Rutgers fan.

Babe was Namath's backup in Super Bowl III. Actually played one play and attempted a pass (incomplete). Namath got shook up and Babe came in for that one play.

Buffalo Bills-I think it was Jack Kemp. I used to be a Vikings fan also. Back when they had Fran Tarkenton and also a quartet of Super Bowl losses. Now strictly Bills since like the 90's.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT