ADVERTISEMENT

QB of Your favorite Team When you Started Watching Football?

Phil Simms was my favorite. "Stay down Joe" Pisarcik was probably runner up. Namath 3rd place.

My son bought me a plaque of Lawrence Taylor hugging Phil Simms on Phil's retirement day. They both signed it. Its a treasured possession along with my Greg Schiano (first time around) and Warren Wolf (my avatar) Autographed pics.
On my desk are the game ticket stubs for Simms and LT's retirement games. I was there.
Cost of each ticket? $35.00. Yikes.

When I was about 8 I got one of those NFL varsity jackets with the faux leather sleeves for Christmas. For some random reason it was an Oakland Raiders jacket but I loved it, loved the colors and they became my team until I was old enough to realize I should be a Giants fan. Ken Stabler was the man, besides the Giants sucked in the early 70s

The Snake and the Ghost to the post was the shit

Seeing the Giants running out of the tunnel from the mezzanine in their blue home jerseys at old Yankee Stadium gives me the chills.

Probably where Lucas got the idea of Darth Vader, with those long capes with the hoodies.

Reactions: zappaa
My brother played against BU at Nickerson and Harvard at their Coliseum, he thought they were cool sites

My Dad and I always went to The Game, Harvard/Yale as the Harvard HC had been an Asst for Dad at VFMA.

Boston Fire Dept Band is sitting in the U of the closed end of Harvard. PAT"s get kicked and some kids were tusseling for the balls. Fireman put down their instruments run out and get into a doneybrook with the young fans fighting for the balls.

After the game we went back to Southie to the Head House Tavern to wait for the boat back to Thompson's island. where I first heard the song; "Southie is my home town." (used to be ONLY Irish section of Bean Town.)

Reactions: thegock
$35 ?? Was that for parking? Lol
Lol. LT's retirement game was 1994 and Simms was 1995. The memory
is a, ahem, a little shaky but a friend and I walked into the stadium at
kickoff for LT's game. The security and traffic around the stadium was
nuts because Al Gore was campaigning in NYC that night.

Reactions: WhiteBus
C'mon Dad, lay some Otto Graham or Sammy Baugh on us...just kidding

Otto Graham's brother used to drive my mom to work in Orlando, Florida. I was only about 15, but, don't worry, I recognized the name and told my mom that Graham had been one of the most outstanding QBs of all time. That impressed her.

Reactions: zappaa
Probably where Lucas got the idea of Darth Vader, with those long capes with the hoodies.
I don't recall Lucas having interest in sports or as California lifer knowing anything about the NY Giants of that Era.

Any old timers here remember Eddie LeBaron " The Little General", the little QB who followed Baugh for Washington.

Last edited:
Any old timers here remember Eddie LeBaron " The Little General", the little QB who followed Baugh for Washington.
Actually, I remember LeBaron with the Cowgirls. Possibly the shortest nfl quarterback I've ever seen.

Saw this being asked over on Twitter: Without saying your age, who was the QB of your favorite team when you started watching football?

Mine is Dan Fouts.

Weird -if this question was asked on the Michigan board I bet more than 75% of the answers would have been college players. Here it is nearly all NFL players.

Reactions: RW90
Weird -if this question was asked on the Michigan board I bet more than 75% of the answers would have been college players. Here it is nearly all NFL players.

Not weird if you compare the capacity of Rutgers' Stadium at the time most of those responding were basing their answer on (1960-1980) and the Big House.

Actually, I remember LeBaron with the Cowgirls. Possibly the shortest nfl quarterback I've ever seen.

LeBaron played the majority of his career in Washington in the 1950s, then went to Dallas for several seasons in the 1960s. Dallas was an expansion team formed in the early 1960s, and that may be how LeBaron got to Dallas. My guess is that he was eventually beaten out for the QB job at Dallas by Dandy Don Meredith.

Reactions: Kbee3

Yes, college football is still not a big deal in the Northeast as compared to the Midwest or South. Rutgers has a chance to gain a big footing in the Northeastern market if the team improves, and that would attract more public attention to Rutgers. I"ll bet the state legislature would not be so cheap with Rutgers if the school were considered a hotbed of athletic victories.

LeBaron played the majority of his career in Washington in the 1950s, then went to Dallas for several seasons in the 1960s. Dallas was an expansion team formed in the early 1960s, and that may be how LeBaron got to Dallas. My guess is that he was eventually beaten out for the QB job at Dallas by Dandy Don Meredith.
Yeah....if I recall correctly, Dallas took him in the expansion draft when they joined the league.

Thanks for the video Northern Knight. LeBaron was only 5'7''. Also punted. Served 2 years in the Marine Corp in Korea during the war. Received a Purple Heart. Also played a year in Canada for his old College Coach. When the guy got fired he came back to Washington.

Not that I'm a Cowboys or Jets fan, but Roger Staubach and Joe Namath,

Roger because my mother was from TX and both parents were in the Navy, Namath because my mother was enamored with him and he led the Jets to a championship (hey, I was a kid, how would I know what my mother was thinking! LOL). Being from TX, she still watches all possible football games at the age of 97 from her recliner in Myrtle Beach. Switches to Baseball in the spring,

He and Dandy Don used to rotate every play with The Hat sending in the play with either Eddie or Don.

My classmate at Manlius, his Brother was Maury Youmans on the Boys and one of the Syracuse 59 National Champions " Sizeable Seven ". (Today those sizes are laughable.)

You had older brothers. I don't remember anyone before Gabriel.
When I started rooting for the Eagles it was Dick Vermeil's first year and I believe Gabriel was still the starting QB, but I seem to recall Mike Boryla (sp?) getting some starts or PT that year.

Reactions: RUScrew85
He and Dandy Don used to rotate every play with The Hat sending in the play with either Eddie or Don.

My classmate at Manlius, his Brother was Maury Youmans on the Boys and one of the Syracuse 59 National Champions " Sizeable Seven ". (Today those sizes are laughable.)

225?

Played against Manlius as a freshman for the Cortland JV when freshmen couldn't play varsity.

That would be interesting to see.

George Blanda was a place kicker and QB IIRC. (1968?)

You do recall correctly. He would come in as QB in the last two minutes and lead the Oakland Raiders to come-from-behind victories. I definitely remember this to be the case in 1968, and it was true for a few years afterward. Yes, he was a place-kicker. He was not a modern soccer-style kicker, but he was effective for a pretty long range. Pressure did not bother him, perhaps because he was 40 or more when he was doing this. Truly a remarkable players. Incidentally, Daryl Lamonica (known as the Mad Bomber) was the QB that Blanda would replace. I read in a memoir by a Raiders' player that Blanda had many more leadership qualities than Lamonica. Even more incidentally, the coach of those teams was somebody named John Madden, who would shout and scream on the sidelines.

You do recall correctly. He would come in as QB in the last two minutes and lead the Oakland Raiders to come-from-behind victories. I definitely remember this to be the case in 1968, and it was true for a few years afterward. Yes, he was a place-kicker. He was not a modern soccer-style kicker, but he was effective for a pretty long range. Pressure did not bother him, perhaps because he was 40 or more when he was doing this. Truly a remarkable players. Incidentally, Daryl Lamonica (known as the Mad Bomber) was the QB that Blanda would replace. I read in a memoir by a Raiders' player that Blanda had many more leadership qualities than Lamonica. Even more incidentally, the coach of those teams was somebody named John Madden, who would shout and scream on the sidelines.

He lasted in the league until he was almost 50, with less and less QB-ing as the years went on.

ADVERTISEMENT