ADVERTISEMENT

QB recruit commits to Miami, 10 mil NIL not his best offer

Ruthinking

Senior
Gold Member
Aug 7, 2011
SIAP….
His lawyer/representative was quick to defend him saying that he didn’t go for the highest offer because he only took 10 million from Miami vs. 11.5 million he could have gotten from U of Florida. (It’s comical that there’s so much sensitivity surrounding these NIL payments of this magnitude!)

Article link

SIAP….
His lawyer/representative was quick to defend him saying that he didn’t go for the highest offer because he only took 10 million from Miami vs. 11.5 million he could have gotten from U of Florida. (It’s comical that there’s so much sensitivity surrounding these NIL payments of this magnitude!)

Article link
That's for a 4 star recruit. Imagine what a 5 star recruit would get!!!

Reactions: TM94goRU
SIAP….

Article link
There's no way Florida offered 11.5M.

They probably played hardball and he didn't like it so theyre trying to paint Florida in a bad light.

SEC has the best players.

The Gators may have, but here is why you see him take less money. The money guaranteed at the U is more than enough for him to never have to do anything for the rest of his life, he does not want to do!

This is also why you can't use this story to feel better about Rutgers situation! Our boosters/program does not have the will or the funds to pay for top recruits.

The Gators may have, but here is why you see him take less money. The money guaranteed at the U is more than enough for him to never have to do anything for the rest of his life, he does not want to do!

This is also why you can't use this story to feel better about Rutgers situation! Our boosters/program does not have the will or the funds to pay for top recruits.
If out boosters do not have the will or funds to pay for top recruits we can build the best facilities in the world, we will never be able to compete for division/conference/national championships.

How is this not pay to play? This is a high school kid getting a 10 million dollar deal. This is not like making a few hundred or thousand dollars for showing up at event or running a camp, which I think everyone supports.

How is this not pay to play? This is a high school kid getting a 10 million dollar deal. This is not like making a few hundred or thousand dollars for showing up at event or running a camp, which I think everyone supports.
If that kid, whoever he is, hawks coca cola products, would anyone buy more of it? The answer is almost certainly not, which means his NIL value is almost zero, while someone decided his athletic ability is worth 10mm. This is obviously pay to play.

If out boosters do not have the will or funds to pay for top recruits we can build the best facilities in the world, we will never be able to compete for division/conference/national championships.
All true! Man I hate this thing called Nil!

Reactions: Ruthinking
It’s all pay to play, but you can fake it easily without breaking any rules.

Man...How many 4 or even 5 star recruits never live up to their Hype...Can you imagine some booster putting up 10 mil and that player sitting the bench or Injured?...It's coming

Man...How many 4 or even 5 star recruits never live up to their Hype...Can you imagine some booster putting up 10 mil and that player sitting the bench or Injured?...It's coming
this^^^^ it will become an issue. Now we are getting players that have never played a single down making almost as much as the HC.

Reactions: LetsGoRUwrestling
It's funny that people actually think Kyle Flood had something to do with Texas getting Arch Manning. Wait till you see his multiple NIL deals!

We are now seeing the slow destruction of schools not paying for recruits, IMO. The next dividing line to see will be the schools that pay for players who don't work out.

College sports then becomes MLB in the late 90's through early 00's. Programs with an endless supply of riches, like oil 💰 become the Yankees, others not as well funded at best will be the Marlins! Oh and yes others will end up the Kansas City Royals, or Pittsburg Pirates!!!

Last edited:
The NFL is going to regret not starting a minor league system. Kids won't leave early with guaranteed NIL money. They will challenge the draft in court and win. And require more $ to sign. The top 50 coming out of college will soon change the game in college and pros.
And transfer portal will triple within a few years.

Reactions: eddynyse
The Canary in the coal mine might be hockey. The NHL drafts teenagers. If a player does not sign for a couple of years the team loses his rights. If players like Luke Hughes, NJD 1st round draft pick don't sign, and become free agents after school, NIL could well blow up the NFL model.

MLB is similar, but they are bigger than the NHL.

Last edited:
This will evolve/devolve into a model of relegation where top teams with NIL money will be premier league and everyone else relegated. The relegated teams may go back to an actual amateur model over time (back to the future!).

Meanwhile kids with the potential to cure diseases, solve energy issues, or create new businesses continue to struggle to pay for college or don't even bother with it. We live in a world of screwed up priorities. But here we are. At least we're entertained!

If that's what it will take to compete and we do it, I might not give a rat's ass about our money making programs anymore..personally, if the absurdity continues, I kinda hope this paid, "amateur" model collapses upon itself and big time college athletics goes by the wayside.

If that's what it will take to compete and we do it, I might not give a rat's ass about our money making programs anymore..personally, if the absurdity continues, I kinda hope this paid, "amateur" model collapses upon itself and big time college athletics goes by the wayside.
The Olympics change ruined it for me. The same will happen to college football. I no longer care.

I predict the whole system will come crashing down and things will eventually shake out. There is no way this current model is sustainable. It still may not be a good system, but the multimillion dollar NIL deals are ridiculous and bad for the sport on so many levels.

Scarlet Jerry

Kenny Pickett was a Rival 3-Star recruit.
Aaron Donald was a Rival 3-Star recruit.
Jordan Addison was a Rival 3-Star recruit.

Pitt has 14 recruits (2023) so far and all are Rival 3-Star. I guess we will have to build our team with Rival 3-Star recruits and save money. LOL!!!!

Imagine if a team spends $25 million NIL money a year for a 9-3 record. Time for a new coach or you just paid too much for unproven talent.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: BeantownKnight
Kenny Pickett was a Rival 3-Star recruit.
Aaron Donald was a Rival 3-Star recruit.
Jordan Addison was a Rival 3-Star recruit.

Pitt has 14 recruits (2023) so far and all are Rival 3-Star. I guess we will have to build our team with Rival 3-Star recruits and save money. LOL!!!!

Imagine if a team spends $25 million NIL money a year for a 9-3 record. Time for a new coach or you just paid too much for unproven talent.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
I think just about every hardcore Rutgers fan would believe that $25 mil in NIL money for a 9-3 record n our division would be money well spent.

How about the adults, esp at the youth level?

How about the fans?
I was being facetious.

I still don't think anyone should be taking youth sports seriously.

However, my primary arguments before were that it's a money pit and 99.99% won't go pro.

But with NIL, those arguments aren't as strong.

Now, it doesn't matter if you go pro. In fact, you don't even have to play a down in college and still make millions.

I don't have the issues with NIL that others do and it just is what it is. Just have to figure out how best to operate in that environment big dog or little dog. I've said before that I think it probably leads to a slight widening of the concentration of talent because theoretically any donors of a school can put up a bunch of money and suddenly get in the mix...see A&M. Roster spots, playing time and starting spots are still limitations that will distribute talent to some degree. IIRC recently read WF has got 3 4 stars in their recruiting class and they usually recruit at the bottom of the ACC.

I kind of think practices in NIL will be tweaked just naturally if not through regulation because no matter how much money you have, you'll want to see a return and right now the return you get for the money you spend on recruits (unknown quantities) and current roster players (more known quantities) is still unknown.

There was a question in Mandel's mailbag and I kind of agree with his take on it.

From his mailbag in the Athletic:

I know this is an unpopular sentiment, but as of today I see NIL leading to more, not fewer, programs competing at a high level. Texas A&M, which has not won a national title in 83 years, signed the No. 1 class last year. The No. 1 player signed with Jackson State. The top running back in the country for 2023, Rueben Owens, just committed to Louisville, and the No. 4 player in the country, five-star Nico Iamaleava, is heading to 20-year underachiever Tennessee. Four-star QBs have committed to or are expected to commit to South Carolina (Dylan Lonergan), Louisville (Pierce Clarkson), Purdue (Rickie Collins), and Kansas State (Avery Johnson).

I’m not suggesting all of them got sweet NIL deals, but it’s also probably not a coincidence that a five-star Texas running back chose an ACC program with little recent momentum, or that a QB from California is relocating to the other side of the country to play for an SEC team that’s not Alabama or Georgia.

Time will tell whether the barely disguised pay-for-play market will remain sustainable. But if it does, theoretically any school in the country is one free-spending donor like Miami’s John Ruiz away from being able to land elite prospects. Nick Saban is still going to get his regardless. Alabama will still finish at or near No. 1 in the recruiting rankings this year, with or without a collective. But the mass consolidation we’ve seen in recent years — in 2022, half of the Top 100 recruits signed with Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State or Texas A&M — could undo itself just a bit and help disperse talent.

Now as I’m saying all this, using NIL to entice recruits/transfers is still very much against the rules, and as this week’s Rashada saga demonstrates, the donor/collective arms race is an absolute hot mess. I’ve said it before, but it would truly benefit all parties to remove once and for all the notion that money in recruiting is taboo and let the schools themselves buy their athletes’ NIL rights.

Obviously, some schools will be able to raise more funds than others (as is the case already), but they’re all bound by the 85-scholarship limit. Recruiting would involve an aspect of managing cap space. Say Alabama has $13 million to spend on its roster, and Mississippi State only has $5 million. But Alabama blows $3 million on a five-star QB who transfers after one season and another $2 million on a pair of five-star defensive ends who don’t pan out. Meanwhile, Mississippi State spends $1 million on a four-star QB who turns out to be the best in his class, then gets five overlooked three-stars at $150,000 apiece who blow up and become high-round NFL picks. I’d argue Mississippi State has a better chance of competing with Ohio State in that model than in the present one.

Reactions: mildone
I don't have the issues with NIL that others do and it just is what it is. Just have to figure out how best to operate in that environment big dog or little dog. I've said before that I think it probably leads to a slight widening of the concentration of talent because theoretically any donors of a school can put up a bunch of money and suddenly get in the mix...see A&M. Roster spots, playing time and starting spots are still limitations that will distribute talent to some degree. IIRC recently read WF has got 3 4 stars in their recruiting class and they usually recruit at the bottom of the ACC.

I kind of think practices in NIL will be tweaked just naturally if not through regulation because no matter how much money you have, you'll want to see a return and right now the return you get for the money you spend on recruits (unknown quantities) and current roster players (more known quantities) is still unknown.

There was a question in Mandel's mailbag and I kind of agree with his take on it.

From his mailbag in the Athletic:

I know this is an unpopular sentiment, but as of today I see NIL leading to more, not fewer, programs competing at a high level. Texas A&M, which has not won a national title in 83 years, signed the No. 1 class last year. The No. 1 player signed with Jackson State. The top running back in the country for 2023, Rueben Owens, just committed to Louisville, and the No. 4 player in the country, five-star Nico Iamaleava, is heading to 20-year underachiever Tennessee. Four-star QBs have committed to or are expected to commit to South Carolina (Dylan Lonergan), Louisville (Pierce Clarkson), Purdue (Rickie Collins), and Kansas State (Avery Johnson).

I’m not suggesting all of them got sweet NIL deals, but it’s also probably not a coincidence that a five-star Texas running back chose an ACC program with little recent momentum, or that a QB from California is relocating to the other side of the country to play for an SEC team that’s not Alabama or Georgia.

Time will tell whether the barely disguised pay-for-play market will remain sustainable. But if it does, theoretically any school in the country is one free-spending donor like Miami’s John Ruiz away from being able to land elite prospects. Nick Saban is still going to get his regardless. Alabama will still finish at or near No. 1 in the recruiting rankings this year, with or without a collective. But the mass consolidation we’ve seen in recent years — in 2022, half of the Top 100 recruits signed with Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State or Texas A&M — could undo itself just a bit and help disperse talent.

Now as I’m saying all this, using NIL to entice recruits/transfers is still very much against the rules, and as this week’s Rashada saga demonstrates, the donor/collective arms race is an absolute hot mess. I’ve said it before, but it would truly benefit all parties to remove once and for all the notion that money in recruiting is taboo and let the schools themselves buy their athletes’ NIL rights.

Obviously, some schools will be able to raise more funds than others (as is the case already), but they’re all bound by the 85-scholarship limit. Recruiting would involve an aspect of managing cap space. Say Alabama has $13 million to spend on its roster, and Mississippi State only has $5 million. But Alabama blows $3 million on a five-star QB who transfers after one season and another $2 million on a pair of five-star defensive ends who don’t pan out. Meanwhile, Mississippi State spends $1 million on a four-star QB who turns out to be the best in his class, then gets five overlooked three-stars at $150,000 apiece who blow up and become high-round NFL picks. I’d argue Mississippi State has a better chance of competing with Ohio State in that model than in the present one.
Totally agree with Mandel’s comments. Especially about removing the limits of the school buying NIL rights. It’s the minor leagues now, let’s not pretend it’s not.

My favorite part about the NIL thing was people trying to act like these players just don’t want to be eating ramen noodles every night 😂😂

Shocked it’s gotten out of hand, shocked!

Totally agree with Mandel’s comments. Especially about removing the limits of the school buying NIL rights. It’s the minor leagues now, let’s not pretend it’s not.
Actually, that's the one part I don't agree with him. I prefer the schools spend money on what they do now and not on recruits/players. Let the donors do their thing with their money. I've railed that schools/ADs have been pretty dumb with the way they spend on coaches and I wouldn't want to see that stupidity expanded to players. Let the donors deal with that.

We are now seeing the slow destruction of schools not paying for recruits, IMO. The next dividing line to see will be the schools that pay for players who don't work out.

College sports then becomes MLB in the late 90's through early 00's. Programs with an endless supply of riches, like oil 💰 become the Yankees, others not as well funded at best will be the Marlins! Oh and yes others will end up the Kansas City Royals, or Pittsburg Pirates!!!
Don’t forget the worst MLB team the Oakland A’s.
They stink. They have slashed payroll and raised ticket prices. Their home attendance has dropped to a laughingstock 8000 fans per game. Sad

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT