ADVERTISEMENT

Question About L'ville Game 2006

RutgersMO

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 24, 2001
Rutgers & NJ @ Heart
I've watched the full DVD and the 1 hour Rutgers Classics repeatedly. Love RR's run after Brian Leonard's catch and run in the critical 4th qtr. drive.

My question is about the Britt Play.

Britt catches a pass from Teel at about the RU 45 and tacks on big yards until Gay tackles him/ dislodges the football with the final action at about the 5 yard line. Britt has enough presence of mind to recapture the ball and the play is called that way. However, I've noticed that Britt had a hand out of bounds just before recovering the fumble.

I thought if you were Out of Bounds (any part of your body) you couldn't reenter and posses the ball? While I love the outcome...I'm wondering if we didn't get a big reversal on the RU Screw.
Or is it possible that since Britt had possession of the ball and Gay made Britt fumble but never possessed it,,, the ball goes to the team that had possession last despite the fumble?

Covid Curious!

MO
PS Also noticed that the penultimate play was stopped by Ito (after he kicked the game winning FG, turned and pointed to the camera). Ito had been badly abused by Spillman in his 100+ yard return earlier in the game...so whoever coached Special Teams in 2006 deserves a medal of for the 180 degree turnaround by the Judge.

PPS Found and error in the Box Score: Dennis Campbell catches a pass for 2 point conversion (not cited) :
Louisville at Rutgers Box Score, November 9, 2006 | College Football at Sports-Reference.com (sports-reference.com)

I’m just guessing but I think because Britt possessed the ball last, we would keep the ball either way at the spot of the fumble. UL never had possession of the ball so either way it would still be our possession.

I actually saw Britt recently at my daughters softball game. Good guy. What a talent he was.

Reactions: BeantownKnight
I’m just guessing but I think because Britt possessed the ball last, we would keep the ball either way at the spot of the fumble. UL never had possession of the ball so either way it would still be our possession.

I actually saw Britt recently at my daughters softball game. Good guy. What a talent he was.

I was just going to say this. Not the part about your daughter's softball game but that since RU possessed the ball last, we would've kept the ball regardless. It would've been another matter entirely if any part of Britt stepped out of bounds, then re-entered the field of play to catch the ball - which, obviously, would not have counted as a catch and would've garnered a penalty.

This, plus once Britt is out of bounds touching the ball in bounds, the ball is then out of bounds and the play is dead, with possession reverting to whoever had possession last, i.e., RU.

Reactions: Spare130
NCAA Rule: The only 2 restrictions about players going out of bounds and returning are:

1) A kicking team player may not voluntarily go out of bounds and return. 5yd penaty from previous spot.
2) An eligible offensive receiver may not voluntarily go out of bounds and return and be the first to touch a legal forward pass. Loss of down at the previous spot.

ADVERTISEMENT