ADVERTISEMENT

Question About the 2006 Offense-Power Spread?

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
I was watching the Rutgers/Louisville 2006 game last night out of boredom.

The announcers referred to Rutgers' offense as the "Power Spread" after Teel threw a tunnel screen to Kordell Young who turned it into a 49 yard play.

Were the announcers just making stuff up or were there elements to McNulty's offense that were power spread?

Was McNulty fired, or did he choose to move on to the Arizona Cardinals?

By this article, I am guessing he was fired? What was the verdict on McNulty in hindsight, or with the talent he had in Teel, Leonard, Rice, Underwood, Britt and others, he was destined to look good and should have been better?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/53300-greg-schiano-oc-john-mcnulty-not-helping-rutgers-cause

That article was very poorly written and contains absurd claims..According to this guy RU should have beat md louisville and Cincy the previous year because we had leads at the half. That was the sum total of his reasoning. I wouldn't give this any merit.

No need to sound apologetic. Be proud to savor some classic RU football!

My recollection is that was a jump by McNulty rather than a push by RU. If it wasn't landing an NFL assistant position as your rebound from leaving a coordinator job at Rutgers, well congrats to him for landing on his feet.

However, putting any credence into a BleacherReport offering is mildly regrettable. But at least you're talking football. So keep up the good work.

To my main question-- did RU run elements of a power spread offense against Louisville?

Definitely did not have Teel running the zone read, which is a key part of the Urban's power spread.

Even a team that is pro-style, and the 2006 team was clearly a pro-style team, are going to have some plays where they go with one or zero backs and try to spread out the defense with the wideouts. We were in a two back set probably 75% of the time.

Reactions: JoeRU0304
To my main question-- did RU run elements of a power spread offense against Louisville?

Knight, it is very possible that we ran elements of a power spread offense as it was perceived ten years ago. I do not know if what we did then would apply to the spread offense as it has evolved over these last ten years. Just a thought, I am not speaking from any deep knowledge of college offenses.

As I remember McNulty left for the greener pastures and larger paychecks of the NFL. It was the next logical move if you want to climb the ladder.

Also remember that Greg wanted to hire him away from Arizona when he took the Tampa Bay job but the Cards wouldn't let him go as is required for a lateral coaching move in the league. He did finally hire him after the Cards fired the staff a year later. Would he have done that with someone he fired 3 years earlier?

The Rutgers portion of his bio on the Tennessee Titans site...

"Between NFL coaching positions, McNulty spent five seasons (2004-08) with Rutgers in varying capacities. His first two seasons with the team were spent as wide receivers coach before being promoted to assistant offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach for a year and finally offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach for his final two seasons with the Scarlet Knights. Notably, his 2007 offense set school records for total offense (5,841 yards), points scored (421) and first downs (295). The offensive unit also became the first in NCAA history to include a 3,000-yard passer (Mike Teel-3,140), a 2,000-yard rusher (Ray Rice-2,069) and two 1,000-yard receivers (Kenny Britt-1,232; Tiquan Underwood-1,100) in a single season."

There was no power spread. That was a pro style O and he left on his own terms. He was one of the best OCs we've had here...which isn't saying a whole lot.

The announcers referred to Rutgers' offense as the "Power Spread" after Teel threw a tunnel screen to Kordell Young who turned it into a 49 yard play.

Were the announcers just making stuff up or were there elements to McNulty's offense that were power spread?

Was McNulty fired, or did he choose to move on to the Arizona Cardinals?

By this article, I am guessing he was fired? What was the verdict on McNulty in hindsight, or with the talent he had in Teel, Leonard, Rice, Underwood, Britt and others, he was destined to look good and should have been better?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/53300-greg-schiano-oc-john-mcnulty-not-helping-rutgers-cause
Not that surprising that announcers from ESPN would have no idea what they're watching. Back in 2006, power spread was a term used to describe Bobby Petrino's Louisville offense, which was a mix of spread formations and I formation power football. It's taken on a different meaning since then. Rutgers ran a pro-style offense with an emphasis on between-the-tackles smash mouth and the occasional explosion play in the passing game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight Shift
Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think that the power spread that he is referring to is the same offense as the spread option that we will run this year....

Not that surprising that announcers from ESPN would have no idea what they're watching. Back in 2006, power spread was a term used to describe Bobby Petrino's Louisville offense, which was a mix of spread formations and I formation power football. It's taken on a different meaning since then. Rutgers ran a pro-style offense with an emphasis on between-the-tackles smash mouth and the occasional explosion play in the passing game.

Thanks for explaining how the term has evolved. If this was an q/a would vote this best answer.

Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think that the power spread that he is referring to is the same offense as the spread option that we will run this year....
I'm going to rewatch the Louisville game tonight. I recall Herbstreit or Fowler saying they run the power spread, but maybe I was half out of it. The version of the game on Youtube skipped that segment.

No. The offense was a pro style offense. RU ran power running plays with 3 WRs in that game as I recall, but that doesn't mean it was a power spread. A spread I formation (which we would run) is 3 WRs (or 2 WRs with the TE split off the line) with either a FB or H-Back and TB, which is likely what they were referring to.

There was no power spread. That was a pro style O and he left on his own terms. He was one of the best OCs we've had here...which isn't saying a whole lot.
I disagree with your last sentence. Having Teel at 3000 yards passing, Rice at 2000 yards rushing and Britt and Underwood both at 1000 yards receiving says a whole helluva lot.

He was one of the best OCs we've had here...

Really?
15455_p14_football_coach_gregp.jpg
Actually you can make a decent case for McNulty, and yes the competition is weak. I do miss Ralph.

Bread & butter plays for power spread:
Inside/outside zone runs with play-action off those looks based out of spread formations with at least 3 players split and eligible to receive passes with an emphasis on bubble screens to force the opponent to "match-up", leaving a light box. Most receiver routes are of the 3-step variety (slants, hooks, hitches) due to lack of pass protectors.

Bread & butter plays out of Rutgers 2006:
Power-O, Counter, FB dive, fake FB dive RB toss, and play-action off those looks. The main objective is to get 3 yards every running play and force the safety into the box to contain the runs. Once that happens, play-action off those looks. Formations are compressed with multiple pass protectors and pass protection schemes(!) so the play-action passes are much, much deeper developing receiver routes (fly, deep in/out, post).

No. The offense was a pro style offense. RU ran power running plays with 3 WRs in that game as I recall, but that doesn't mean it was a power spread. A spread I formation (which we would run) is 3 WRs (or 2 WRs with the TE split off the line) with either a FB or H-Back and TB, which is likely what they were referring to.
A very flexible pro offense because of the personnel we had and we made some things look a lot easier then they probably appeared in the playbook. Nice when everything clicks and you end up with the " W ".

ADVERTISEMENT