ADVERTISEMENT

Question Big10 Baseball tournament.

jor22

Senior
Dec 6, 2006
How does the bracket work? Are all the teams Invited or the top 8? Rutgers Chances?

Top 8. Rutgers was eliminated today with it's loss to Northwestern.

Rutgers looked really bad yesterday. We only had 3 hits all game against a pitcher who was 3-7 with a 4.15 ERA. I saw no intensity or sense of urgency from our guys yesterday. It was really disappointing. NW had no pitcher with an ERA under 4 on the team. Many are over 6 or 7. Now we are 26-27 and must win our final 2 games over NW to finish over .500. Our best pitcher Brey gave up 2 home runs and didn't have his best game. Hopefully we can play much better today.

Today must have been pathetic. We led 7-2 and gave up 8 runs in the 7th and lost to Northwestern 12-10. I'm very disgusted that we cannot now have even a winning season as we are now 26-28 on the season. There is no excuse for losing to a 5-16 Northwestern team two days in a row that was rated about #240 in the nation and we were like #62. It seems like we just packed it in. I saw no intensity at all yesterday and I could not attend today at all. I have attended 14 games since the Indiana series and this has been a huge letdown.

Here's the head coaches overall record prior to this season.
Overall Record: 289-428-3 (14 Seasons)
Rutgers Record: 49-56-1 (Two Seasons)

So he is we'll under 500. Why did Rutgers hire him to be the head coach?

I wanted the Kean coach two years ago. His team has usually been very good but what do I know. Today looking at the play by play it looks as if the coach left O'Reilly in way too long in the 7th inning before bringing in Brito. I think he should have brought Shuttle in as he has been pretty good over the last month or so.

i would look to hire the best available coach and let him hire a staff that can recruit with the best in this area. One name I would go after is Tommy Phelps The yankees Triple A pitching Coach. Just wondering how much does the Baseball coach get offered at Rutgers. ???/ Im a bit biased because I know the guy but I just believe there is coaches out there that are really good that would be interested in the job if offered

Ed Blankenmeyer the St Johns coach is probably someone Hobbs is very aware of, since he's a Seton Hall alum. While ACC BB is better than Big 10 BB, RU might be able to outspend Seton Hall in a year or 2. Litterio needs to amp up recruiting, especially pitching.

Old Dominion assistant Karl Nonnemaker, a Roxbury, NJ-native who was a heck of a high school player and 4-year starter at SEC school Vanderbilt, has great credentials when Rutgers decides to move away from its provincial hiring and recruiting. The premise of winning with the best NJ players available and a staff consisting of "Rutgers guys" is lunacy. If you aren't recruiting pitchers from warm weather states and improving your line-up with proven, more mature JUCO position players, you are not competing.

http://www.odusports.com/ViewArticl...B_OEM_ID=31100&ATCLID=208409403&Q_SEASON=2015

This year I watched many Div-III NJAC conference games as well as multiple Rutgers games. My nephew's son pitches at Ramapo. The top 5 NJAC teams would give Rutgers fits if they played.

We actually won today 10-7 and finished at 27-28 on the season. Our RPI dropped to #100 before today's game and is now #102 after the win because Northwestern is rated very poorly. We fell from #62 to #102 in like the last two weeks. Maybe it isn't important to many RU fans but it bothers me that we couldn't at least finish with a winning season. Many games we played terrible and we blew about 6 games in the ninth inning. Our pitching was not very good and we lose Brey our best pitcher. Our hitting was not too good either and we lose Suseck, Jennings and Devish who were all decent. We better have some good players coming in or else I fear we just might be worse next year.

Illinois 6, Michigan 3
Ohio State 6, Minnesota 5 (10 inn)
Cal State-Northridge 6, Purdue 0
Nebraska 3, Indiana 0
Maryland 6, Michigan State 4
Rutgers 10, Northwestern 7

Final Standings
1. Minnesota (34-18, 16-7)
2. Nebraska (37-18, 16-8)
3. Indiana (31-22, 15-9)
3. Ohio State (38-17-1, 15-9)
5. Michigan (35-19, 13-10)
6. Maryland (28-25, 13-11)
6. Michigan State (34-18, 13-11)
8. Illinois (28-23, 12-12)
8. Iowa (27-25, 12-12)
8. Penn State (28-27, 12-12)
11. Rutgers (27-28, 9-15)
12. Northwestern (15-39, 7-17)
13. Purdue (9-44, 2-22)

Big Ten Tournament - TD Ameritrade Park | Omaha, Nebraska

First Round - Wednesday, May 25
#3 Indiana vs. #6 Maryland (9:00 a.m. - BTN)
#2 Nebraska vs. #7 Michigan State (1:00 p.m. - BTN)
#1 Minnesota vs. #8 Iowa (5:00 p.m. - BTN)
#4 Ohio State vs. #5 Michigan (9:00 p.m. - BTN)

We actually won today 10-7 and finished at 27-28 on the season. Our RPI dropped to #100 before today's game and is now #102 after the win because Northwestern is rated very poorly. We fell from #62 to #102 in like the last two weeks. Maybe it isn't important to many RU fans but it bothers me that we couldn't at least finish with a winning season. Many games we played terrible and we blew about 6 games in the ninth inning. Our pitching was not very good and we lose Brey our best pitcher. Our hitting was not too good either and we lose Suseck, Jennings and Devish who were all decent. We better have some good players coming in or else I fear we just might be worse next year.
Our line up was not very strong. But Devish was way better than decent.

Big Ten Announces Baseball All-Big Ten Honors and Individual Award Winners

Minnesota’s Matt Fiedler earns Big Ten Player of the Year plaudits

ROSEMONT, Ill. --The Big Ten on Tuesday announced the 2016 Baseball All-Big Ten teams and individual award winners, as selected by the conference coaches. Minnesota’s Matt Fiedler was named the Big Ten Player of the Year, Illinois’ Cody Sedlock earned Pitcher of the Year recognition, Nebraska’s Chad Luensmann claimed Freshman of the Year honors and Minnesota head coach John Anderson was named the unanimous Big Ten Coach of the Year.

Fiedler becomes the eighth Minnesota standout to claim Big Ten Player of the Year honors, and the first since Luke Appert in 2003. A two-way player for the Gophers, Fiedler ranks second in the Big Ten in hits (82), third in batting average (.383) and sixth in slugging percentage (.542) in all games. On the mound, Fiedler is 7-2 on the season, and wrapped up Big Ten play with a 4-0 record.

Sedlock becomes the fifth Illinois hurler to earn Big Ten Pitcher of the Year accolades, and the second in as many years. In all games, the right-handed starter currently leads the Big Ten with 116 strikeouts, ranks seventh in earned run average (2.49) and is fifth in opponents' batting average (.219). Luensmann becomes the first Nebraska player to capture Big Ten Freshman of the Year plaudits. The relief pitcher is tied for first in the Big Ten with 13 saves, and ranks seventh overall with 26 appearances on the mound.
Anderson was named the Big Ten Coach of the Year for the sixth time, the most in Big Ten history. Anderson, who claimed the award for the first time since 2010, guided the Golden Gophers to their 23rd Big Ten Championship this season.
The Big Ten also announced the Sportsmanship Award honorees from each institution. The players chosen are individuals who have distinguished themselves through sportsmanship and ethical behavior. These players must also be in good academic standing and have demonstrated good citizenship outside of the sports-competition setting.

The complete list of All-Big Ten teams and award winners can be found below.

PLAYER OF THE YEAR

Matt Fiedler, Minnesota

PITCHER OF THE YEAR

Cody Sedlock, Illinois

FRESHMAN OF THE YEAR

Chad Luensmann, Nebraska

COACH OF THE YEAR

JOHN ANDERSON, Minnesota

ALL-BIG TEN FIRST TEAM*

C – AUSTIN ATHMANN, Minnesota

1B – Scott Schreiber, Nebraska

2B – Dan Durkin, Michigan State