ADVERTISEMENT

Question for a lawyer

RU1993

All Conference
Gold Member
May 3, 2004
I own a GMC 2010 Acadia. I bring the car back to the dealer religiously for maintenance. We are having issues with the steering in that when you make a turn greater than 45 degrees the power steering cuts out. At 10k miles we complained of issues with the steering and they found nothing wrong. At 20 k we complained about the steering and they drain and replaced the steering fluid. At 30k we complained about the steering and they found nothing. At 40 k we complained and they replaced the ball bearings in the steering column. It wasn't until we complained at 60k ( warranty was up to 55k) that they discovered the issue was the power steering pump. I had to argue and place a complaint with the GMC headquarters to get them to replace it without being charged. At 153k, they are telling us we need to replace the power steering pump again. They originally told me the replacement pump had a 120k warranty, now they are telling me it was covered for 150k starting from zero so I am 3k over.

We have had to replace two pumps which have gotten 60k and 90k. This does not seem to be normal wear and tear.

Aside from buying a new car, are there any legal steps I can take.

You can always just change the pump yourself for $120 parts cost (2hr job on the drive way). Also, temperature is the pump's biggest enemy, make sure your PS cooler is in proper working order.

A quick search on the google reveals that this is a very common problem for your vehicle, here is the link to your vehicle's TSB

Description: BUICK/CHEVROLET/GMC/SATURN: SEE DOCUMENT SEARCH BUTTON FOR OWNER LETTER. POWER STEERING PUMP WEAR CONDITION CAUSES AN INTERMITTENT DROP IN HYDRAULIC PRESSURE OF POWER STEERING CAUSING LOSS OR REDUCTION IN STEERING ASSIST. MODEL 2007-2011

In lament's terms, they used shitty seals in the PS pump causing early leakage leading to failures. GMC did not issue a recall so you're on your own.

Is your first inclination always to sue?
image.png

I"m a lawyer (patents), and I would be freaking ecstatic if my power steering pump got 93K miles on a crappy GM vehicle (sorry, not a GM fan). @oldman87 has it right. Easy job to do yourself or bring to your local garage for a total cost of less than $300. Why would you waste time and energy on a lawyer?

Here's a video on how to do it. If you won't do it, @oldman87 and I will come over and do it for you. My hourly rate is $450/hour for non-patent work, and not sure what @oldman87 charges.

You can always just change the pump yourself for $120 parts cost (2hr job on the drive way). Also, temperature is the pump's biggest enemy, make sure your PS cooler is in proper working order.

Just did this job on an old volvo. You may have to pull the pulley from the old pump and put it on the new. Go to you Autoparts store and rent the tools usually they will give them to you for free or $5.

Reactions: oldman87
A quick search on the google reveals that this is a very common problem for your vehicle, here is the link to your vehicle's TSB

Description: BUICK/CHEVROLET/GMC/SATURN: SEE DOCUMENT SEARCH BUTTON FOR OWNER LETTER. POWER STEERING PUMP WEAR CONDITION CAUSES AN INTERMITTENT DROP IN HYDRAULIC PRESSURE OF POWER STEERING CAUSING LOSS OR REDUCTION IN STEERING ASSIST. MODEL 2007-2011

In lament's terms, they used shitty seals in the PS pump causing early leakage leading to failures. GMC did not issue a recall so you're on your own.

Why Google it when you can ask it here ?

ALWAYS PUT COMPLAINTS IN WRITING to your service provider-in general. With a car nearing warranty if possible take it in. Therefore you'd likely be covered if dealer says not5hng wrong. Once brought my Corolla in to check out transmission pre warranty expiration. Dealer said nothing was wrong. Transmssion went soon after warranty expired and deal has to repair/replace the treansmission.

ADVERTISEMENT