ADVERTISEMENT

Question for those who understand the Tournament

BeantownKnight

All Conference
Feb 14, 2008
I'm still new to this whole 'basketball'-thing, so forgive me if this question sounds a bit .. elementary. However, I would like to know why is the NCAA Tournament open to all Division 1 teams. There are something like 300 teams (or whatever) competing for 64 spots in the tournament. Why isn't this done more like football, where FBS (130 teams) have their bowl/playoff system, the FCS (all the other Division 1 teams) have their own playoff, and Division 2 and 3 have their own playoffs? I assume this has something to do with "money". But, aside from Gonzaga or whatever, the number of non-(for lack of a better word) FBS programs that make it to the Final 4, historically, is actually rather low, isn't it? It's usually big name, big conference programs, right (e.g. Kentucky, UCLA, Kansas, UNC, etc.)? As a percentage of the total number of those "non-FBS" programs, how many unique programs get into the Tournament and are able to advance? Wouldn't - I'm just going to use Gonzaga here as an example because I don't actually know of many other consistently-good "non-FBS" programs - Gonzaga have a lower NET and ranking if they had to play in strong Division 1 conferences (as we do), year in and year out? I heard an announcer say earlier this season that Gonzaga will only have a couple of losses and finish ranked in the top 2 or 3 (or whatever). But, the big hit is they play in a conference with NO OTHER STRONG TEAMS. Doesn't this make it unfair for those who do? I'm unclear how we're all competing to get into the same Tournament. (I mean, there is the NIT. It's not like there couldn't be another Tournament for those other teams).

I also have another question about the B1G tournament and it's much easier to answer, I'm sure. What would happen if .. I don't know .. Nebraska (who only have like 2 conference wins this season .. or something, and is in last place in our conference) were to somehow win the B1G tournament? Does that mean that they claim a share of the conference title (even though Wisconsin has the most conference wins)? Or, does it mean absolutely nothing? If so, why do we play the conference tournament? Just for the opportunity to play more games?

Thanks.

I'm still new to this whole 'basketball'-thing, so forgive me if this question sounds a bit .. elementary. However, I would like to know why is the NCAA Tournament open to all Division 1 teams. There are something like 300 teams (or whatever) competing for 64 spots in the tournament. Why isn't this done more like football, where FBS (130 teams) have their bowl/playoff system, the FCS (all the other Division 1 teams) have their own playoff, and Division 2 and 3 have their own playoffs? I assume this has something to do with "money". But, aside from Gonzaga or whatever, the number of non-(for lack of a better word) FBS programs that make it to the Final 4, historically, is actually rather low, isn't it? It's usually big name, big conference programs, right (e.g. Kentucky, UCLA, Kansas, UNC, etc.)? As a percentage of the total number of those "non-FBS" programs, how many unique programs get into the Tournament and are able to advance? Wouldn't - I'm just going to use Gonzaga here as an example because I don't actually know of many other consistently-good "non-FBS" programs - Gonzaga have a lower NET and ranking if they had to play in strong Division 1 conferences (as we do), year in and year out? I heard an announcer say earlier this season that Gonzaga will only have a couple of losses and finish ranked in the top 2 or 3 (or whatever). But, the big hit is they play in a conference with NO OTHER STRONG TEAMS. Doesn't this make it unfair for those who do? I'm unclear how we're all competing to get into the same Tournament. (I mean, there is the NIT. It's not like there couldn't be another Tournament for those other teams).

I also have another question about the B1G tournament and it's much easier to answer, I'm sure. What would happen if .. I don't know .. Nebraska (who only have like 2 conference wins this season .. or something, and is in last place in our conference) were to somehow win the B1G tournament? Does that mean that they claim a share of the conference title (even though Wisconsin has the most conference wins)? Or, does it mean absolutely nothing? If so, why do we play the conference tournament? Just for the opportunity to play more games?

Thanks.
The team that wins the Big Ten Tournament gets a automtic NCAA bid just like in other leagues.Seeding is a different issue which is based on the season won/loss record and the NET ranking.

Thanks.
In Football, those FCS teams are competing in a completely different level, while basketball (and all other sports) don't break apart D1 into different levels. Beyond Gonzaga, you've had Butler going to back-to-back title games, VCU in a Final 4, George Mason in a Final 4, etc. The beauty of college basketball is that heading into this past week, all but about a dozen of the 358 teams theoretically had a chance to win the National Title.

The NET takes the strength of your opponent into account...Gonzaga is probably the best team in the country right now, so while they might have a worse record in the Big Ten, that would be boosted up by the stronger schedule. The NET is made to try and compare these different teams that played completely different types of schedules.

As for Nebraska...winning the Big Ten Tournament gets them an automatic bid in the NCAAs, so that's the big prize.

Not sure there is a why (or why not) answer for your first question. For many teams from non power conferences, just making the tourney is its own reward (much like getting a bowl bid in football). Of course they want to win but just making the tournament is a bragging point for most teams in all conferences (including Rutgers).

With that said, teams from non power conferences do have success in the tourney occasionally and it makes the entire event more enjoyable in my opinion.

Reactions: Plum Street
Football is the unique one because of the existence of the bowls.

Every other sport just has a single division I championship (and a II and a III).

Football is also unique because you just can't play that many football games which makes things more difficult.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT