ADVERTISEMENT

Question for wrestling guys

rudad02

All American
Nov 7, 2010
I believe matches now consist of one 3 min. period & two 2's. Please correct me if I'm wrong. In the past matches consisted of three 3 min. periods. Why the change? Was it a concern for injury or what? Thanks.

Originally posted by HawkeyeFreak:
At the college level, they've been 3-2-2 since at least 1990 when I started following it seriously.
Was 3-3-3 at the college level when I began in 1960. Stayed that way until I got out in '66 &, I believe, for some time beyond.

"In 1938, matches were shortened to nine minutes, with three three-minute periods. In 1967, bout length went down to eight minutes, with the first period being two minutes, followed by two three-minute periods. Today's seven-minute matches debuted in 1982. That year, matches got one minute shorter, with the first period lasting three minutes, followed by two two-minute periods."

from the great Mark Palmer

for whats it worth, senior international matches are two 3 minute periods.

Originally posted by Jaroslav Hasek:
"In 1938, matches were shortened to nine minutes, with three three-minute periods. In 1967, bout length went down to eight minutes, with the first period being two minutes, followed by two three-minute periods. Today's seven-minute matches debuted in 1982. That year, matches got one minute shorter, with the first period lasting three minutes, followed by two two-minute periods."

Very interesting Jaroslav. Didn't realize the 3-- 3's ended after '67. Still doesn't answer why? Lots of other really interesting wrestling history. Thanks.

once consideration is tournaments. the shorter the matches the bigger the tournaments can be given size and schedule restrictions.

6 or 7 minutes seems about right. conditioning is still a factor but you can't win on conditioning alone.

don't really know what the thought process was back in 1982 though, it was before my time.

Originally posted by rudad02:

Very interesting Jaroslav. Didn't realize the 3-- 3's ended after '67. Still doesn't answer why? Lots of other really interesting wrestling history. Thanks.
Rudad-if you ever wrestled a college 7 minute match...you would not ask why it changed from a 9 minute match...Lol

Originally posted by ScarletGrapfan:

Originally posted by rudad02:

Rudad-if you ever wrestled a college 7 minute match...you would not ask why it changed from a 9 minute match...Lol
Wrestled in college wrestling class & believe me I understand how grueling a sport it is. Still the fellows all wrestled 3--3's in intercolegiate matches. In the Plamer article referenced above he noted how no wrestling coaches believed in weight training. Believed it made you muscle bound. Did other forms of training. A former Oklahoma coach observed that he threw bales of hay in the summer. Observed that in those days boys & young men worked hard--not so much now.

When I played football & baseball we didn't use weights either. I also worked on a big cow farm, drew in bales of hay, threw them in the mows, stacked them in tiers. Worked like a man when 15 & 16. Lived in upstate NY. Shoveled tons of snow every winter. Walked, ran or rode our bikes wherever we went. Played ice hockey on the ponds & lakes all winter long. Shoveled them off. In college the only form of weight training I did for baseball was a roll bar & hand grips for wrists and forearms. Didn't do weights for football. We were much more physical & trained in a different way. In college moved furniture for an allied van agent & worked on the railroad as a gandy dancer repairing track, among other laboring jobs. Different world.

This post was edited on 2/10 5:00 PM by rudad02

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT