ADVERTISEMENT

Question from an Iowa fan about Rutgers game day...

Hawkbiz

Redshirt
Apr 21, 2012
I am looking forward to attending the Iowa-Rutgers game this fall with my dad and my son. I have taken road trips to all of the other Big Ten teams, but this will be my first time to Rutgers. I am excited to visit the campus and check out Rutgers. We have really enjoyed each Big Ten school road trip and it always helps to get suggestions ahead of time from the locals that know the school and campus.

Any suggestions on Rutgers game day traditions, things to be sure to check out while we are in town, restaurants to hit, etc would be greatly appreciated!

On the flip side I hope some of you consider coming out to Iowa City in 2019. It is a great place to watch a game and the tailgate atmosphere before the game is a lot of fun.

Thanks!

I am looking forward to attending the Iowa-Rutgers game this fall with my dad and my son. I have taken road trips to all of the other Big Ten teams, but this will be my first time to Rutgers. I am excited to visit the campus and check out Rutgers. We have really enjoyed each Big Ten school road trip and it always helps to get suggestions ahead of time from the locals that know the school and campus.

Any suggestions on Rutgers game day traditions, things to be sure to check out while we are in town, restaurants to hit, etc would be greatly appreciated!

On the flip side I hope some of you consider coming out to Iowa City in 2019. It is a great place to watch a game and the tailgate atmosphere before the game is a lot of fun.

Thanks!

This provides a good summary:
http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/travel/2015/10/04/1-jersey-spread.html

We have some threads on this board that give further details, and will try to dig them up.

Two more threads with lots of good stuff:
https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/iowa-fan-needs-advice-on-ru-tailgating.90093/
https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/iowa-fan-needs-advice-on-ru-tailgating.90093/
https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/iowa-fan-here-seeking-advice.91158/

The stadium is on the Busch Campus, and we are surrounded by four other campuses that have more history and interesting things to see: Livingston, College Ave, Cook and Douglass. We have a working farm on Cook Campus, in case you don't have many farms in Iowa. ;)

Hopefully the game will be an afternoon or evening start so you get a full taste of our tailgating scene. You'll get lots of invites to tailgates (including mine) as we get closer to the game, so keep checking back.

Rutgers campus is set across a highway, and are really 5 different campuses. My best advise go to Old Man Rafferty's, Harvest Moon, or Stuff Yer Face to eat. Also, get to the game early enough that parking will not be a problem, and if you park near the stadium ($$$ and need a pass) or on another campus (College Ave Campus street parking is free if you can find a spot). Things to do in the surrounding area, there are plenty of bars near College Ave Campus/Downtown New Brunswick, there are a variety of museums around (Zimmerli Art Museum comes to mind), or you are a quick train ride to NYC if you have more than a few hours to kill.

I would try to get a Fat Sandwich from the grease trucks.It has been featured in many TV shows and magazine so it is quite famous now.

Are you coming day of or will you take a day to look around?

At Rutgers:

College Ave campus is original Rutgers, so you may want to take a look at that, 250 years worth of history there.

There are 4 other campuses at Rutgers - New Brunswick (The Big Ten school)

http://newbrunswick.rutgers.edu/about/one-community-five-campuses

Rutgers also has its own Museum which along with the Princeton one are the best in NJ.

http://www.zimmerlimuseum.rutgers.edu/information/visitors#.V5t7VPkrKUk

You may want to take photos of the Statue in front of the Stadium, we are the birthplace of college football and all.

Of course while you are here you going to want to eat some Pizza too. NJ pizza is different from anywhere else besides NYC.

Rutgers also has one of if not the best tailgating scene in the Big Ten, so please partake, don't be shy, fans are friendly and will be happy to fed you. Students make get a bit crazy depending on how much they have been drinking so just go where the adults are :)

Basically, your trip will be about historic sites and lots and lots and lots of food. Hopefully you will not fall into food coma by the time the game starts :)

You may need to go on a diet when you return home...

Reactions: terrehawk
Hawk biz,
Some tourism information is available at www.visitnj.org and gocentraljersey.com. Also,the Rutgers Athletics website at www.scarletknights.com has a Visitors Guide. The Atlantic Ocean is only about 30 minutes from Piscataway/New Brunswick. If you want to drive a little farther, Island Beach State Park is on the ocean and my favorite beach.

I appreciate the great suggestions. Scarlet mentioned the historic sites and food would be the focus, and that is right down my alley. History, college football and food are three of my favorites!

Somebody asked about our time frame. We are going to be in NYC on Friday and ride the train in on Saturday morning(I think) so we have time to explore Rutgers either before or after the game. I am glad to hear that the tailgating scene is so good. Honestly, I wouldn't have guessed that - I know totally an assumption on my part.

You and your family are welcome to join our tailgate in the yellow lot. If interested let me know and I will give you details. Try to come out a few days early and visit the Jersey shore. September is the best month here at the beach!

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Two more threads with lots of good stuff:
https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/iowa-fan-here-seeking-advice.91158/

The stadium is on the Busch Campus, and we are surrounded by four other campuses that have more history and interesting things to see: Livingston, College Ave, Cook and Douglass. We have a working farm on Cook Campus, in case you don't have many farms in Iowa. ;)

I should have know that other Iowa fans would have already been here asking the same questions. Thanks for steering me to the right spot.

Hawk biz,
In recent seasons,there has been a Free shuttle bus from the Rutgers Barnes and Noble Bookstore,which is right next to the train station,to the stadium. If you want to walk from the train station to the stadium,it is roughly 1.5 miles and goes through the oldest part of the campus,which opened in 1766. Hope you enjoy your trip.

Reactions: Peteyd
I should have know that other Iowa fans would have already been here asking the same questions. Thanks for steering me to the right spot.

It's always good to get fresh perspectives and maybe there is new stuff to see. Our College Ave campus has had a lot of great new construction, and I echo what Heaven said above-the walk from the train station to the stadium is a nice 1.5 mile walk.

Don't miss the farm on Cook. Have a pork roll and egg sandwich for breakfast. Just don't have a Taylor Ham and egg sandwich.
For casual eats, Stuff Yer Face is a great place where there will be lots of Rutgers fans. Strombolis (bolis) are the food of choice there.

You and your family are welcome to join our tailgate in the yellow lot. If interested let me know and I will give you details. Try to come out a few days early and visit the Jersey shore. September is the best month here at the beach!

We hadn't really thought about the Jersey Shore but that sounds like a great idea. We were planning to spend Th-F in NYC, but the shore might be a better option.

You will definitely want to visit College Avenue's Old Queen's Campus and Voorhees Mall, especially if you are an American history buff. If you get there early enough, I may be able to give you and your family a short, personal tour of the campus (I used to be a tour guide and I am an expert on Rutgers history). I did the same for some Nebraska fans last year.

You should get over to the Busch campus, where the stadium and game are located, at least 2.5 hours before game time.

-Scarlet Jerry

We hadn't really thought about the Jersey Shore but that sounds like a great idea. We were planning to spend Th-F in NYC, but the shore might be a better option.

If the shore is what you want to do, there are three options:
1. Beach only towns like Avon, Belmar, Spring Lake, Sea Girt and Manasquan are good options.

2. Beach towns with a Boardwalk and attractions-for an adult Boardwalk, Asbury Park is outstanding. The city has been undergoing an urban renewal, but it is spectacular down by the beach and around Cookman Ave, which is a main hub. Ocean Grove is right next to Asbury and is a historic methodist town. Would recommend getting a rental in Ocean Grove and enjoying both town. Asbury Park has a lot of restaurants and shops and a small spray park for kids right on the boardwalk. Long Branch is another option, but there is less to do in Long Branch

3. Beach towns with Boarwalks and rides and games of chance for kids--Pt. Pleasant Beach is a good option, and there is also Seaside Heights, which was made famous by the MTV show Jersey Shore. Would favor Pt. Beach over Seaside.

A good place to get rentals of homes near the beach is vrbo.com.

Welcome and enjoy your trip. I am looking forward to getting out to see your campus and stadium in 2019 and getting another B1G road trip under my belt..

You already have some good stuff here. I'll try to offer some things that are not so obvious from looking around the internet.

If you are going to fly Newark Airport is much closer and convenient than the other two NYC area airports. It makes a difference

The portion of New Jersey between the airport and the campus is pretty congested routinely. With driving don't assume that miles traveled means much relative to travel time. When traffic backs up you can eat up a lot of time not going anywhere very fast.

I think you have two best options in overall travel plan. Stay in town (New Brunswick) or stay in Manhattan and "commute".
I think someone has already said don't be confused that the Stadium is in a town called Piscataway. It's right across the River from the historic heart of the Unviersity in a small city called New Brunswick. They are not far apart. Overview map

The oldest, most historic, and traditional parts of campus are labeled Old Queens and Voorhees Mall on this map.

There are lots of side trips possible and a thousands of hotel choices in nice towns in the vicinity. But if you want to immerse yourself in the campus and town, there are only two choices. The Heldrich and Hyatt. (There are decent hotels in Piscataway, some pretty close to the stadium, but basically you'll be staying in an office park, not recommended.) Heldrich and Hyatt are both in the middle of New Brunswick. Easy walk to the many eating and drinking places that are near the College Avenue campus. You can even get a get a shuttle t the game. It's not a bad walk about two miles. If you do want to see some of the more far flung areas of campus you can hop aboard a free campus bus system. You really wouldn't need a car once you are there assuming a short weekend trip. If you are driving both provide secure parking for a fee.

So, if you are not driving and don't want to rent a car how does it work? You can take a train from Newark Airport to New Brunswick. NJ Transit provides regular service on the Northeast Corridor Line. Amtrak makes occasional stops.Then you can walk, shuttle, or bus, and if you want to pay taxi or uber wherever you need to be. Even pulling a piece of luggage it's an easy walk to either hotel from the station.

The other option is the NYC stay. If you are doing this the Newark Airport convenience is less important but still a consideration. If you don't get to this part of the country often and haven't seen Manhattan recently this is a very appealing option. There are even more hotel choices and I won't offer a suggestion beyond avoid anything not in Manhattan proper, preferably between midtown/Times Square and Downtown. Brooklyn and parts of Harlem might be hip but it's not where most tourists want to be. Avoid Queens, forget Bronx and Staten Island. If you are staying any of these you might as well stay in a nicer suburb in NJ close to the City. There are literally too many things to do in NYC to mention but you can find them on the net.

On game day you go to Penn Station via subway, cab or walk. Get on a NJ Transit train for a 45 minute ride that takes you to New Brunswick and a walk or shuttle ride to the stadium. Look for Trains with a destination of "Trenton" or "Jersey Avenue". By a ticket from the vending machines in the station. You pay extra if the conductor has to sell you one on the train.

Let us know if you have any questions. When it gets closer we can talk about places to eat in New Brunswick. As to where to eat in Manhattan that's a whole other discussion.

Some other handy links
Visit Rutgers

Stadium Info including links to parking

New Brunswick City Market

Last edited:
Reactions: terrehawk
I am glad to hear that the tailgating scene is so good. Honestly, I wouldn't have guessed that - I know totally an assumption on my part.
Just to give you an idea, a couple of pictures of our tailgate from last season's Kansas game:

Setting up very early morning:

KansasHomecomingTailgate2_zps9lgi22ha.jpg

In full swing an hour or so later:

KansasHomecomingTailgate1_zps72emgfzp.jpg

And this is just one lot (Blue) - here's a layout of the lots around the stadium:

RutgersGameDayParkingLots.gif

You should also check out a short video that describes the university's history (we just celebrated our 250th anniversary). Be sure to watch it full screen.

-Scarlet Jerry

Reactions: KevH and terrehawk
Definitely be at the Scarlet walk 2:40 before the game at the football player statue.
Band, cheerleaders, football team getting off bus, walking through the crowd. All in a roughly 20 minute time period.
Getting a fat sandwich at a grease truck is also a must.

Yes, the Jersey Shore, particularly if a September game, would be the third best option. Particularly if you don't get to the ocean often. Knight Shift has good suggestions. I'd suggest Point Pleasant or north of that. Towns can be very different though only a few blocks apart. I like the stay in Ocean Grove and enjoy Asbury Park option if were are talking adults. If the kids want to have a board walk (rides, games, and food akin to a county fair) Point Pleasant. Weekdays many attractions won't operating at the beach after Labor Day.

Thanks!

It's bad, don't come.

Personally I'm not an owner of one, but it would be nice to have a video of our tailgate lots from a drone perspective. The Michigan game would be ideal because you can get both day and night versions of the tailgate. When visiting fans come to this board we can link the video. I don't think people realize how good our tailgaiting scene is.

If you can swing 3 days I would suggest 1 day in NYC, 1 day at beach nearby and of course 1 day tailgating and watching the game. If the weather is not great do 2 days in NYC. Philadelphia would not be too bad either for your son to get some of the early US history.

Personally I'm not an owner of one, but it would be nice to have a video of our tailgate lots from a drone perspective. The Michigan game would be ideal because you can get both day and night versions of the tailgate. When visiting fans come to this board we can link the video. I don't think people realize how good our tailgating scene is.
This is a GREAT idea.

Drones are banned at Rutgers. Only the school can fly one. You can bring it up with the AD.

But BTN has some nice new shows that will focus on tailgating and other things. That should help when they get to us.

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. This is one of the things that I have really enjoyed from each of our Big Ten road trips. Every single school has lots of nice people, unique traditions, and great college football atmosphere. I haven't had a bad trip yet(Iowa St doesn't count because they are in the little 12) and I can tell already that our trip to Rutgers is going to be a blast.

I think the idea of 1 day in NYC, 1 day at Jersey Shore, and game day at and around Rutgers sounds like a great way to break things down.

The Scarlet Walk sounds cool. I have no idea what a 'fat sandwich at a grease truck" is, but I have to get one of those!

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. This is one of the things that I have really enjoyed from each of our Big Ten road trips. Every single school has lots of nice people, unique traditions, and great college football atmosphere. I haven't had a bad trip yet(Iowa St doesn't count because they are in the little 12) and I can tell already that our trip to Rutgers is going to be a blast.

I think the idea of 1 day in NYC, 1 day at Jersey Shore, and game day at and around Rutgers sounds like a great way to break things down.

The Scarlet Walk sounds cool. I have no idea what a 'fat sandwich at a grease truck" is, but I have to get one of those!

Realistically, you would need at least a week to do all of the classic tourist stuff in New York (Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island/Broadway show/Wall Street, etc.) . If you only have one day, go to Times Square so that you can officially stand in the center of the universe.

Here is your Fat Sandwich/Grease Truck info video:

-Scarlet Jerry

My advice is don't try to squeeze too much into this trip (NYC is hard to "do" in a day, let alone trying to squeeze in the shore, Philly, anything else in a weekend). Come, enjoy what you can, and come again to see more.

If you're coming to the game from NYC, the train is the best way to go. We take the train to every RU game from Jersey City. Get the NJTransit Tix app to purchase your train tickets, check schedules, and view alerts in case there are any service changes on game day. You can bring booze on the train, just be responsible and the conductors will leave you be. Railgating drink of choice in September will be Moscow mules. I don't know what time we'll head down, but if on the same train, you're welcome to railgate with us.

The New Brunswick train station is downtown, adjacent to Old Queens. Spend some time walking around Queens/College Ave Campus, stop in the main bookstore or Scarlet Fever for a souvenir. Get a bite on Easton Ave. or George Street on the other side of the tracks from campus. If you can't chase down a grease truck, Giovanellis on Easton has the full roster of fat sandwiches. Stuff Yer Face and the garden bar at Evelyn's have nice outdoor seating if the weather is nice. If you want to see where the first college football game was played, go to the parking lot behind the College Ave Gym. In NJ we have a funny way of commemorating history by paving it over.

From the College Ave Gym you can board a shuttle to the stadium. There's also a shuttle that leaves from Albany Street next to the train station. Both shuttles drop you off in Johnson Park. There is some tailgating there in the park, but most of the action is on the opposite side of the stadium. Walk around the stadium to the "Block R party" (only place to buy beer near the stadium, FYI) and the main tailgating lots (yellow, blue, &c.).

Coming back after the game, the shuttles will be picking people up in Johnson Park. All shuttles stop at the College Ave bus stop and then the train station. Be prepared for drunk undergrads (sorry). If the lines for the shuttles are really long, we sometimes just walk back to New Brunswick. There's a nice pedestrian path on the Route 18 bridge over the river and it's only a 25-min walk to the train if you're brisk.

Last edited:
I love the NJ shore. I spend a lot of time on it and plan to retire to it. But there are other shore towns and beaches around this country. NYC is a one-of-kind experience and it would take weeks to see most of it. Unless you can say you've been-there and done-that I would stay in NYC for both of your two free days.

I love the NJ shore. I spend a lot of time on it and plan to retire to it. But there are other shore towns and beaches around this country. NYC is a one-of-kind experience and it would take weeks to see most of it. Unless you can say you've been-there and done-that I would stay in NYC for both of your two free days.

Thanks. We've been to NYC so we don't need to hit the standard tourist spots, but obviously we still want to spend some time in the city. The shore does sound intriguing. Wish we had more time, but we'll make the best of the time we do have!

Hey Hawkbiz..

Here is a link to a walking path through Campus if you want the most scenic walk to the stadium from the train station.

google maps walking path (ignore quoted mileage.. its more like 1.5 miles max)

As you get off the train head backwards on the platform to the back stairs and down. That will put you at the comer across from the southeast gate to the Olde Queens Campus where the oldest buildings are.

There you will find:

1) place where Alexander Hamilton commanded a battery defending Washington's retreat from New York across the Raritan River
2) Kirkpatrick Chapel
3) Olde Queens Admin Bldg
4) Geology Hall Museum
5) Winants Hall (once an do-everything bldg for Rutgers (Queens College)
6) Van Nest (across College Ave from Van Nest is one of the older Frat Houses)

If you go behind Olde Queens and Kirkpatrick and down the hill through the next gate you will enter the Voorhees Mall area. The Zimmerli Art museum is on the right. A lot of older ivy-covered academic buildings line that mall. At the far end is the Statue of Willie the Silent (William of Orange).. Rutgers was founded by the Dutch Reformed Church. The legend is that is Willie doesn't whistle when a girl passes it means she's not a virgin.

Across Seminary Place from the statue is "Holy Hill" where the New Brunswick Theological Seminary (once part of Rutgers) is located. A recent deal created a new building for them on College Ave while a new Rutgers Honors College is built atop the hill. My favorite building int he area is there..

The Gardener A Sage Library (Indiana Jones might be down oneo f the aisles)

img_12874.jpg

Then again cutting through the middle of that block you cross Bishop Place to the old quad area and turning toward College Ave you will pass Bishop House, which was used in the movie "The World According to Garp".

Then across College Ave you'll see a student center and "The Barn".. the old College Ave gym where the first college football game was played out back in 1869.

Then it is a walk up College Ave and across a park to the corner of Landing Lane bridge and across, through Johnson Park to the stadium.

This path will NOT take you by any watering holes.. except for maybe he Olive Branch which is behind the student center, more or less. If you want to hit some college bars on the way, when you get back to college ave make a left and go up Mine Street to the Old Queens Tavern on Easton Ave. Either direction on Easton will find you more bars... but going back toward the train station will find more variety.

Good Luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawkbiz and OTBOTOR
Hawkbiz, not to get others mad here but with limited time I don't think the campuses warrant much time at all. If you get an offer for campus tour that should suffice. New Brunswick has some nice restaurants, yada but it ain't NYC by far. The campuses are spread out so you don't really get
a real "college feel" compared to most places-one reason why the on campus (lots) tailgating is so popular (thus the tailgating pass worth often exceeds the value of game tickets).

Ofhand and I haven't even experienced over 7 years as a student:
1) "Grease Truck" food (but why if you can tallgate and before a game?)
2) Behind the college avenue gym (there's a plaque somewhere) is where RU and Prnceton played the 1st college game.

3) Try to tailgate/buy a pass on Busch campus (to get tbe full tailgate experience).
That said relativerly few leave tailgates for the "scarlet walk"

I'm also probably the biggest beach person here but I'm now technically homeless
and have no money to go to the beach (scrambling just to come up with my money for my ticket)

I recommend the beach but my recommendations for post Labor Day may differ
First the commerical boardwalks (Jenkinsons at Point Pleasant-a private company, SeasideHeights (best northern/central shore boardwalk= "Jersey Shore" and Wildwood all start to shut down
after Labor Day. Ditto some eateries, yadas (right about your weekend).

Long Beach Island (LBI) w Barnegat Lighthouse, Cape May and Wildwood Crest have the hghest rated beaches but are a longer trip and wl have no lfe guardf (few if any beaches will in late Sept and jenkinsons Beach is closed though the boardwalk is open).

***Assuming you get lucky (50-50% chance-again weather tends to be iffy starting ab out your week) and the weather is even warm and good enough to tan or spend time on the beach...

I'd also be thinking a Yankees or Mets game if they are in town. There are a lot of smaller important historical sites (ironically perhaps one 0f most important-the nationas 1st military encampment-was literally dug out of a hlllside mear condos in Bedmnster after a Rutgers excavation) in towns such as Somerville and Morristown (25+ minutes outsode NB-that I believe was mostly controlled by the British during the Revolutionary War).

Just hit me this am were playing IOWA the year after Iowa 2015!
Don't see a Hawkeye tanning all day in late September so if you just want a quiet boardwalk/beach wth not so many attractons sans food I recommend Belmar (popular). Though the surrounding area can be dangerous if you want to see the Boardwalk and club Bruce Springsteen made famous (The Stone Pony) head to Asbury Park (gentrified and maybe not as nice as some other areas).

AC doesn't have the greastest beaches and the surrounding area is seedy/bad (thank you Trump) but the boardwalk and casinos are fun plus relatively more is likely to be open on that boardwalk. I believe the Miss America pagent used to be the 2nd week in September. The Marina side wth the Borgata and Harrahs is also nice.

Last edited:
1. Beach only towns like Avon, Belmar, Spring Lake, Sea Girt and Manasquan are good options.

2. Beach towns with a Boardwalk and attractions-for an adult Boardwalk, Asbury Park is outstanding. The city has been undergoing an urban renewal, but it is spectacular down by the beach and around Cookman Ave, which is a main hub. Ocean Grove is right next to Asbury and is a historic methodist town. Would recommend getting a rental in Ocean Grove and enjoying both town. Asbury Park has a lot of restaurants and shops and a small spray park for kids right on the boardwalk. Long Branch is another option, but there is less to do in Long Branch

3. Beach towns with Boarwalks and rides and games of chance for kids--Pt. Pleasant Beach is a good option, and there is also Seaside Heights, which was made famous by the MTV show Jersey Shore. Would favor Pt. Beach over Seaside.

A good place to get rentals of homes near the beach is vrbo.com.

Good summary, but I would add two other options. First, if you happen to like to gamble, then the ~90 mile drive from the NB area to Atlantic City might be worth it. The Borgata is the nicest casino/hotel, IMO, and the boardwalk/beach are pretty good.

Second, if you want a great, unspoiled (for the most part) beach that's close by, try Sandy Hook (part of the National Seashore), which also happens to have the remains of Fort Hancock, an army base in the mid/late 1800s. There's also a cool lighthouse. And a nude beach, lol.

...On the flip side I hope some of you consider coming out to Iowa City in 2019. ...
We'll come to Iowa for reasons we can't even fathom.
We'll turn up your driveway, not knowing for sure why we're doing it.
We'll arrive at your door as innocent as children ... longing for the past.
"Of course, we won't mind if you look around", you'll say. "It's only $20 per person."
We'll pass over the money without even thinking about it.
For it is money we have and peace we lack.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT