ADVERTISEMENT

Quinerly Decommits from Arizona

He'll be recruited heavily, but schools might hold back bringing him in untol he's cleared by the FBI
Arizona's assistant that was arrested for alleged to have paid a recruit to commit to the UofA and recruit committed around 8/09/2017 , fits Quinerly's timeline because he committed 8/08.
Quinerly and his family have retained a lawyer and some of the top programs might not want to be pulled into this scandal by making the kid part of their program until he's cleared . If found part of s candle because he took the bucks,
no one will touch Quinerly, except ( maybe) a JUCO program or he'll turn pro and go overseas wherever they'll accept him

Would seem to go against everything we are trying to rebuild here.....I would pass 100%, don't need the headaches and prima donna attitude I kinda witnessed at an event that Quinerly attended this past winter....I'd be shocked if RU got involved at all here, but have been wrong many times before.

Assuming clearance from the FBI Quinerly will have no problem finding a elite school to step in probably during the spring signing period.

Would seem to go against everything we are trying to rebuild here.....I would pass 100%, don't need the headaches and prima donna attitude I kinda witnessed at an event that Quinerly attended this past winter....I'd be shocked if RU got involved at all here, but have been wrong many times before.
If the primadonna can shoot, he has his foot in the door. Every team at Rutgers is usually missing a star. We need the next Quincy Douby. With QD, we always had a chance. I will never forget his performance at the Carrier Dome.

Pikiell is building the program the right way. Why risk all that progress for a very questionable recruit??
We’ve been building the program the right way for too many years. We need “players” that would see serious action on any Big Ten roster. Here we have one. Having serious talent would be a new problem that Coach Pikiell can deal with.

Well, IF he did accept the money and didn't report it as income...(but I'd guess he'd have until 4/15/18 to report that)

Exactly, you cannot be charged until you fail to report the income and pay the tax. It's only October.

tenor.gif

We’ve been building the program the right way for too many years. We need “players” that would see serious action on any Big Ten roster. Here we have one. Having serious talent would be a new problem that Coach Pikiell can deal with.
Talent wise you are right but the negative comments regarding his Arizona recruitment isn't something Rutgers should want to deal with.

Well, IF he did accept the money and didn't report it as income...(but I'd guess he'd have until 4/15/18 to report that)
Not sure he doesn't have a case to say it was either a gift or he thought it was part of his scholarship. The scholarship is the inducement for him to "work" so he could argue that was part of it to pay for books and such which is not taxed. If it's not part of that, than he could say it was a gift. Not a Tax expert at all but I don't think the federal govt is the risk, the big risk is losing amateur status.

Reactions: Scarlet Shack
Not sure he doesn't have a case to say it was either a gift or he thought it was part of his scholarship. The scholarship is the inducement for him to "work" so he could argue that was part of it to pay for books and such which is not taxed. If it's not part of that, than he could say it was a gift. Not a Tax expert at all but I don't think the federal govt is the risk, the big risk is losing amateur status.

Correct, a gift is not income. The big issue is losing amateur status.

Gifts? If it was legal or ethical every state or private university would be doing it, including RU. Its not.

There are tax laws governing gift amounts. The "gift" you ay be referring to greatly exceeds the tax free limitations on yearly gifts.
I could be wrong but I believe with a gift tax the person giving the gift is responsible to pay the tax.

Are you suggesting that Pitino’s word is good? Even his spouse doesn’t trust him.
I am not suggesting that at all.

I personally do not trust Rick Pitino, but I have not seen any evidence that he gave Brian Bowen anything.

Very important what NJ Hawk says here.

Seems to be a differentiation from the ways we have recruited before......and yes it can work.

It is only a gift if there is no consideration. That is not happening here, without his verbal commitment to AZ he would get squat. Articles that I have read call it a bribe.

This kid should be ineligible for high school this coming season and for college the year after. If he accepted money there should be an investigation if he is able to play for Hudson Catholic this coming season.

Isn't the FBI report saying he took the money? I didn't read the whole thing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT