ADVERTISEMENT

R Football Turnaround

Scarlet83

All American
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2004
I am very impressed with the R Football turnaround led by Greg and the staff.

1. Inheriting a 20 B1G losing streak, we were very competitive and won 3 games in 2020. With no spring football to install a new O, D and ST and see these new players block and tackle. Amazing.

2. We could have gone 3-0 vs Syracuse, Temple and Monmouth, making 2020 a 6 win, bowl eligible season in year 1. Super freaking amazing. And WAYYY ahead of schedule.

3. Having our O3 and Bo, our best O and D players back is HUGE for 2021.

4. This staff has recruited extremely well across the board. They are fortifying our lines with transfers and freshman, a huge step forward. bringing speed, athleticism everywhere. Next up, a top notch HS QB recruit.

I can’t wait to be in my seats this season to root my ass off! Go Knights!

That big time QB recruit is the next big step. Making a Bowl game in ‘21 is another. And when that recruit ultimately takes the reigns as starter, it’s another. And when we win with him there’s another.

These last two 4* commits are more steps, when they officially sign is another.

Step by step, brick by brick. We’re building back to where we were and beyond.

"It's a process " "Someday our best will be able to beat their best"

That day is coming in Greg I trust.

That big time QB recruit is the next big step. Making a Bowl game in ‘21 is another. And when that recruit ultimately takes the reigns as starter, it’s another. And when we win with him there’s another.

These last two 4* commits are more steps, when they officially sign is another.

Step by step, brick by brick. We’re building back to where we were and beyond.

Yes. But this staff is doing it 5 bricks at a time. It is happening faster than I thought Greg could do. And I lean toward optimism. And Greg is exceeding my expectations.

Let’s freakin go!

Last edited:
Reactions: ChasRC69

1. Inheriting a 20 B1G losing streak, we were very competitive and won 3 games in 2020. With no spring football to install a new O, D and ST and see these new players block and tackle. Amazing.

2. We could have gone 3-0 vs Syracuse, Temple and Monmouth, making 2020 a 6 win, bowl eligible season in year 1. Super freaking amazing. And WAYYY ahead of schedule.

4. This staff has recruited extremely well across the board. They are fortifying our lines with transfers and freshman, a huge step forward. bringing speed, athleticism everywhere. Next up, a top notch HS QB recruit.

Agree with it all - also want to add to it...if there were fans in the seats this past year- we win those 2 close home losses where we couldn't hold the lead. If it were any other year and Rutgers was leading at half, the 2nd half of both games would have been crazy...

I see this year as a good chance for 6-7 wins. We could also end up with 4-5 but still look good but the point is...way ahead of schedule. I think we bowl this year and within 5 years, we are always a consideration for winning the East if OSU has a letdown.

Improvements in shoring up the foundation are ahead of schedule, but remember that improvement isn’t necessarily linear. That’s not to say our excitement should be tempered, but that we need to keep expectations in check and not jump ship should the program not achieve 5-6 wins next year.

Improvements in shoring up the foundation are ahead of schedule, but remember that improvement isn’t necessarily linear. That’s not to say our excitement should be tempered, but that we need to keep expectations in check and not jump ship should the program not achieve 5-6 wins next year.

Of course improvement is not linear. That’s my point. If it was linear, we would have had maybe 1 or 2 wins last year. And not had those very close losses. And our offense would not have taken two or three steps up in scoring (8 points per game to 26 points per game, IIRC).

And going forward, it’s OK to have higher expectations and goals for the program. Assuming we play the current schedule, I think we can win 7 games and the stretch goal would be 8. If we fall short and win 6, that’s OK. And why would fans jump ship if we only win say 5 games, but we still see program improvement, like we continue to see under this coaching staff? It’s OK to have hopeful ambitions, right?

Landing graduate transfer athletes who are established, serious difference makers, and not natives of the area, and who want to compete in the Big Ten is a reasonable near term goal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scarlet83
Landing graduate transfer athletes who are established serious difference makers and not natives of the area who want to compete in the Big Ten is a reasonable near term goal.
Schiano and staff have done this to fill in holes (Patrice Rene, Brandon White, Noah Vedral).

Hopefully they can take this to the next level!

It's not just Football. All of our programs are improving. I'm feeling proud to be a Rutgers fan.

Yes!! Both mans and women’s Hoops, LAX and Soccer programs. That is 6 teams right there.

I am very bullish on our baseball team this year. I really like and have heard great things about Steve Owens.

Schiano and staff have done this to fill in holes (Patrice Rene, Brandon White, Noah Vedral).

Hopefully they can take this to the next level!
Noah does not satisfy my criteria. He is a fill-in, place holder. He is an improvement, but not a difference maker. I’ll let others comment on the contributions of the two others, who I consider solid position players.

Noah does not satisfy my criteria. He is a fill-in, place holder. He is an improvement, but not a difference maker. I’ll let others comment on the contributions of the two others, who I consider solid position players.

Well Noah didn’t sit on our bench. First year in, he is our starter, and with his second year in the program and his first full spring, I am hopeful he can be a even more of difference maker this year.

It is going to be interesting with other teams losing top player to the NFL. We have lost only a few players. We are going to have more experienced players than a lot of more established programs.

Noah is serviceable .
No one is ever happy with their college QB. Even if you run a prolific bubble screen happy spread offense people will complain that the QB doesn't have what it takes to air it out and take the next step

It is going to be interesting with other teams losing top player to the NFL. We have lost only a few players. We are going to have more experienced players than a lot of more established programs.

I agree. Many other B1G teams will be losing their best players to the NFL. We are keeping a lot of our best players in 2021. Plus we add a few transfers in on the lines, some playmaking speed transfers and HS recruits.

In Greg’s second season, we will have a lot more competition and depth at most positions, which is desperately needed.

• Haha
Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
Yes!! Both mans and women’s Hoops, LAX and Soccer programs. That is 6 teams right there.

I am very bullish on our baseball team this year. I really like and have heard great things about Steve Owens.
Baseball started 2-0 against 2 top B1G teams in Indiana and Minnesota. Don't forget about wrestling who could have 3 AAs and Sea Bass as a NC contender.

Baseball started 2-0 against 2 top B1G teams in Indiana and Minnesota. Don't forget about wrestling who could have 3 AAs and Sea Bass as a NC contender.

Yes, Wrestling! A great program getting even better!!

Not to nitpick, but didn’t the wrestling program backslide some this season. I don’t follow it closely, so apologies in advance if I’m wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT