ADVERTISEMENT

R Out of Staters Pronouncing NJ Towns

I have never in my life heard of Frelinghuysen and even I don't know how to pronounce it. I'm born and raised in NJ and if you offered me a million bucks I couldn't point it out on a map. Anyone, where in the hell is that place ?

I have never in my life heard of Frelinghuysen and even I don't know how to pronounce it. I'm born and raised in NJ and if you offered me a million bucks I could point it out on a map. Anyone, where in the hell is that place?
I wonder if that town has anything to do with the family . Remember political servant Rodney ?

New Jersey has some easy names to pronounce, now a place like Texas or North Carolina, they got some weird ones.

I have never in my life heard of Frelinghuysen and even I don't know how to pronounce it. I'm born and raised in NJ and if you offered me a million bucks I couldn't point it out on a map. Anyone, where in the hell is that place ?
You never heard of Frelinghuysen ? Take a look
at Rutgers campus... hint ,hint.

I had a coworker move up from Atlanta years ago ask me how to get to Tah-toe-ahh.

Finally realized he was asking about Totowa. In his defense it is a strange word, probably Native American

Pennsylvania has many tough ones. Some are neighborhoods. Rivers. Towns.
Passyunk, Moyamennsing, Schuylkill.... So many.

Pennsylvania has many tough ones. Some are neighborhoods. Rivers. Towns.
Passyunk, Moyamennsing, Schuylkill.... So many.

I remember back in the day an new DJ on WMMR (Luke O'Reilly) on his first day had to do an ad for a bar. He started to read the promo, said the word "West", and then there was about 10 seconds of dead air. It was in West Conshohocken.

There’s Frelinghuysen Ave in Newark that is not the safest place in the world. I’ll leave it at that.

Wasn't even aware of a municipality in NJ called Frelinghuysen whereever in the state it might be....only know of the name through the Rutgers connection, and not as much the family history, but just from where it's used in two places on campus in NB/Pisc: 1) the dorm on College Avenue, and 2) the road around the golf course on Busch. I figured it's of Dutch origin and my guess is that's it's relatively phonetic sounding to how it's spelled, but who knows.

Never heard of this place either!

the BEST NJ town name is Ho-Ho-Kus!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good thing they didn't attend Long Island University or Hofstra...
Aquebogue
Copiague
Hauppauge
Asharoken
Commack
Ronkonkoma
Mineola
Massapequa
Sagaponack

Why does New Jersey have a lot of towns with the same name??? Or close to it???

Haddon
Haddon Heights
Haddonfield

Burlington City
Burlington Township

Egg Harbor City
Egg Harbor Township

Union City
Union Township

Morristown
Morris Township

Don’t forget the five Washingtons, two Dovers, etc.

Reactions: cicero grimes

Haddon
Haddon Heights
Haddonfield

Burlington City
Burlington Township

Egg Harbor City
Egg Harbor Township

Union City
Union Township

Morristown
Morris Township

In 4 of those 5 examples (among several others), I believe it originates historically from the municipal borough/town/city being the central urbanized (relatively speaking) area with the township referring to the surrounding or adjacent undeveloped or rural area.

In some cases where the "surrounding it" consists of all sides, the pair are sometimes referred to as donut towns, with the inner borough or city being the "donut hole" and the surrounding township being the figurative donut. All of these individually became legally incorporated municipalities rather than the surrounding townships, at least, remaining unincorporated as is the case in many other states. I suppose incorporated status provided legal taxing authority and ability to pay for infrastructure improvements such as utilities as well as maybe more funding from Trenton.

The Haddon example which consists of three places as you listed that are located adjacent to one another. But appears to be a bit of a twist where Haddon Heights is officially a borough but I believe Haddonfield is the more historical urban municipality? I think Haddonfield and Haddon are both townships.

The Union example is the one that is not derived from the above convention as those are separate municipalities located in different counties. A similar example to this is Raritan Township and Raritan Borough, also in different counties and are completely separate. The same with the five different Washingtons you mentioned as they're scattered around the state.

Haddon
Haddon Heights
Haddonfield

Burlington City
Burlington Township

Egg Harbor City
Egg Harbor Township

Union City
Union Township

Morristown
Morris Township

Don’t forget the five Washingtons, two Dovers, etc.
In 4 of those 5 examples (among several others), I believe it originates historically from the municipal borough/town/city being the central urbanized (relatively speaking) area with the township referring to the surrounding or adjacent undeveloped or rural area.

In some cases where the "surrounding it" consists of all sides, the pair are sometimes referred to as donut towns, with the inner borough or city being the "donut hole" and the surrounding township being the figurative donut. All of these individually became legally incorporated municipalities rather than the surrounding townships, at least, remaining unincorporated as is the case in many other states. I suppose incorporated status provided legal taxing authority and ability to pay for infrastructure improvements such as utilities as well as maybe more funding from Trenton.

The Haddon example which consists of three places as you listed that are located adjacent to one another. But appears to be a bit of a twist where Haddon Heights is officially a borough but I believe Haddonfield is the more historical urban municipality? I think Haddonfield and Haddon are both townships.

The Union example is the one that is not derived from the above convention as those are separate municipalities located in different counties. A similar example to this is Raritan Township and Raritan Borough, also in different counties and are completely separate. The same with the five different Washingtons you mentioned as they're scattered around the state.
You can add:

Neptune (township)
Neptune City

Metuchen is the first one that comes to mind with regard to donut hole towns.

Always thought it was funny on to listen to the play by play folks on ABC or ESPN when there is a player from Manalapan.

It is actually Rah way ... but Jerseyites pronounce it as you said ( Raw way ) ...

If New Jersey had state history/geography classes like other states, a lot more people would know about our famous families, culture, and just get a better idea of what our state has to offer. Plus we could avoid our residents running around saying hopp-at-cong and Mohn-tay-goo.
Ugh

If New Jersey had state history/geography classes like other states, a lot more people would know about our famous families, culture, and just get a better idea of what our state has to offer. Plus we could avoid our residents running around saying hopp-at-cong and Mohn-tay-goo.
Ugh

I think we did have NJ state history as part of a Junior HS history class. But the fact that I typed Junior HS means it was a LONG time ago.

It is actually Rah way ... but Jerseyites pronounce it as you said ( Raw way ) ...
When I first moved to South Jersey, I was a delivery guy going into Delaware. In the days before Google Maps/Waze, I went into a gas station and asked a couple of people how to get to NEW-irk. They looked at me like I insulted them and asked me if I meant new-ARK?

Reactions: RUnTeX and MADHAT1
forget out of staters, New Jerseyans can’t agree on how to pronounce Secaucus. There is a correct way, but a lot of people around the state seem to either not know it or not accept it.
What do you think is the correct way? I refuse to pronounce like my Carlstadt born wife. She pronounces it Sea-caucus.

Reactions: Bagarocks
I think I have heard 7 or 8 different versions of Secaucus. My favorite is sehh kackiss.

What do you think is the correct way? I refuse to pronounce like my Carlstadt born wife. She pronounces it Sea-caucus.

I was born in Carlstadt. She is pronouncing it correctly -- SEA-caucus.

Might I know your wife? Very small town. Did she go to Becton?

Living near Rahway, we always called it Rawlway when I was growing up. Once a trucker stopped and asked us kids for directions to Rawa - didn’t know what he was asking
I grew up and coached in Rahway and we pronounced it Raw-way and or Row-way named supposedly after Cheif Rahwack. Of course the kids called it Rough-way.

BTW how do you say Hohokus?

Ugh
We definitely had to learn nj geography in 5th grade, when I was growing up in Highland Park in early 60's. I can still fill in a blank map with all 21 counties. We had to learn all the county seats, also. I know my kids never had to learn it, and have no idea where some counties are.

ADVERTISEMENT