ADVERTISEMENT

R Out of Staters Pronouncing NJ Towns

I was born in Carlstadt. She is pronouncing it correctly -- SEA-caucus.

Might I know your wife? Very small town. Did she go to Becton?
Yes she went to Becton, graduated in 96 . Carlstadt is tiny... I'd like to hear from someone from Secaucus for confirmation, lol.

State pride is less of a thing up there...I lived in NY a loooooong 15 years (gosh was it really that long?) and not once did I see anyone fly the NY State flag...not once. Heck I can’t tell you what the NJ state song is (if there is one) but know all the words to the Texas one (it helps that it is played at every football game)

down here both are flown and many times just the Texas. One business known for its giant flags, cycles through the US, then Texas and finally the San Antonio flag (which is surprisingly pretty for a city flag)

Cant recall the NJ flag flown in many private properties. Both the NY and NJ flags are unremarkable to look at.

Yes she went to Becton, graduated in 96 . Carlstadt is tiny... I'd like to hear from someone from Secaucus for confirmation, lol.

She was after me. I was 89. I moved to Monmouth County in 96, and when I said I was from Carlstadt, people would say Carteret? Carlstadt is very tiny.

PS - Listen to your wife -- she's right 😉

Reactions: Section124
State pride is less of a thing up there...I lived in NY a loooooong 15 years (gosh was it really that long?) and not once did I see anyone fly the NY State flag...not once. Heck I can’t tell you what the NJ state song is (if there is one) but know all the words to the Texas one (it helps that it is played at every football game)

down here both are flown and many times just the Texas. One business known for its giant flags, cycles through the US, then Texas and finally the San Antonio flag (which is surprisingly pretty for a city flag)

Cant recall the NJ flag flown in many private properties. Both the NY and NJ flags are unremarkable to look at.

I think there’s only a handful of states where people are really into the state flag. Texas, Maryland, California, and Colorado are in that group, maybe a couple more.

Reactions: RUnTeX
When I lived in South Carolina, I saw a good amount of state flags—

You can add:

Neptune (township)
Neptune City

Metuchen is the first one that comes to mind with regard to donut hole towns.

Always thought it was funny on to listen to the play by play folks on ABC or ESPN when there is a player from Manalapan.
I noticed a lot of stAten island/brooklyn people have a hard time with the manalapan pronunciation. Something about it intermingled with their accents

State pride is less of a thing up there

They refer to it as the Republic of Texas afterall, lol. The only one of the 50 states to have had 4 different nation flags fly over it, I believe.

We definitely had to learn nj geography in 5th grade, when I was growing up in Highland Park in early 60's. I can still fill in a blank map with all 21 counties. We had to learn all the county seats, also. I know my kids never had to learn it, and have no idea where some counties are.
I want to say 4th or 5th grade for me too (in the mid-80s)....a deeper dive to county level on NJ geography combined with an overview of the other 49 states (not quite down to county level) + Puerto Rico.

But I'm not sure I'd have retained as much of it from just that time learning it in school if my brother and I weren't already pre-disposed to traveling and being early geography buffs on our own. We can both identify the 21 counties, 50 states, state capitals, etc.

We used to read the heck out of a really old world atlas that our dad picked up in a church auction for like a buck or two, it's still probably collecting dust somewhere in my parents' attic.

You can add:

Neptune (township)
Neptune City

Metuchen is the first one that comes to mind with regard to donut hole towns.

Always thought it was funny on to listen to the play by play folks on ABC or ESPN when there is a player from Manalapan.

Yep, Neptune. Also at the Jersey shore, there's Point Pleasant and PP Beach....slightly different take on the convention as I believe both identify as Boroughs. Not sure if the smaller, denser PP Beach started as the original "nucleus" even if not necessarily central to or majority surrounded by PP just adjacent to each other (not a donut situation).

A couple Morris County examples are Chester (Borough and Township) and Mendham (Borough and Township), and there also used to be a Chatham Borough and Township up until the late 80s, I believe (including separate high schools) but the municipalities may have then merged into one and I think both HSs did too.

Somerset County has Bernardsville and Bernards Township as a slightly different combination.

As far as donut towns, prime example is definitely the Metuchen Boro/Edison Township pair. If it wasn't for NJ legend Thomas Alva and his lab in Menlo Park, I suppose there would have been a "Metuchen Township" instead of all of that which we've known as Edison as the inventor's namesake. Another similar donut example where the two names are specifically not the same is Flemington (Borough) and the aforementioned in a prior post, Raritan Township.

Last edited:
Maybe not the hardest to pronounce, but the hardest to say with a straight face:

Blue Ball, PA
Intercourse, PA

And if you go from Blue ball to intercourse and keep going, you'll end up in Fertility, PA

They refer to it as the Republic of Texas afterall, lol. The only one of the 50 states to have had 4 different nation flags fly over it, I believe.
Six. That's where Six Flags come from. Spain, France, Mexico, Republic of Texas, CSA, USA.

Also, Florida has had five: Spain, France, England, CSA, USA.

Spanish West Florida was also part of the short-lived West Florida Republic, which stretched to Louisiana.

Last edited:
I had a coworker move up from Atlanta years ago ask me how to get to Tah-toe-ahh.

Finally realized he was asking about Totowa. In his defense it is a strange word, probably Native American
Totoway Indians if I recall an old timer telling the pronunciation.

I think Buttzville NJ takes the cake for best name.

and if I had a penny for every man-a-LAP-an people said...

Reactions: HPNJRUfan
Yep, Neptune. Also at the Jersey shore, there's Point Pleasant and PP Beach....slightly different take on the convention as I believe both identify as Boroughs. Not sure if the smaller, denser PP Beach started as the original "nucleus" even if not necessarily central to or majority surrounded by PP just adjacent to each other (not a donut situation).

A couple Morris County examples are Chester (Borough and Township) and Mendham (Borough and Township), and there also used to be a Chatham Borough and Township up until the late 80s, I believe (including separate high schools) but the municipalities may have then merged into one and I think both HSs did too.

Somerset County has Bernardsville and Bernards Township as a slightly different combination.

As far as donut towns, prime example is definitely the Metuchen Boro/Edison Township pair. If it wasn't for NJ legend Thomas Alva and his lab in Menlo Park, I suppose there would have been a "Metuchen Township" instead of all of that which we've known as Edison as the inventor's namesake. Another similar donut example where the two names are specifically not the same is Flemington (Borough) and the aforementioned in a prior post, Raritan Township.
Another doughnut town is Jamesburg. Totally surrounded by Monroe Twp. Years ago everything revolved around Jamesburg, and Monroe kids went to Jamesburg High school. Then as Monroe grew in the 70's and 80's, Jamesburg HS closed, and Jamesburg kids went to the new Monroe HS. It's now time for everything to be incorporated into one municipality.

If it wasn't for NJ legend Thomas Alva and his lab in Menlo Park, I suppose there would have been a "Metuchen Township" instead of all of that which we've known as Edison as the inventor's namesake. Another similar donut example where the two names are specifically not the same is Flemington (Borough) and the aforementioned in a prior post, Raritan Township.

Actually, we'd have yet another "Raritan Township", which was incorporated in 1870 and changed its name to "Edison" in 1954. Metuchen was incorporated in 1900 but reference to the settlement can be found back to the early 1700's. Highland Park broke off from "Raritan" in 1905.

Hazlet down in Monmouth County also used to be called Raritan Township, until 1967.

Another doughnut town is Jamesburg. Totally surrounded by Monroe Twp. Years ago everything revolved around Jamesburg, and Monroe kids went to Jamesburg High school. Then as Monroe grew in the 70's and 80's, Jamesburg HS closed, and Jamesburg kids went to the new Monroe HS. It's now time for everything to be incorporated into one municipality.
My Mother was Jamesburg HS class of 75, but grew up in Monroe just outside of Spotswood. Smallest High School in the state. I believe 79 was the last class before it closed in favor of the new MTHS.

Rutgers Rockies, yes I think Texas wins for most flags. Texas was actually part of Spain, then France, and then Spain again. The funny thing is there were about 16 people living there for a long time. Now, people are moving there from all over America. Population is pushing 30 million, second biggest in the nation.

Point Beach and Point Boro...as they say when you confuse Highlands with Atlantic Highlands:

You: “Come on, what’s the difference?”

Them: “A BIG difference!”

Mendham...anyone who ran cross country or track in the early 80’s should remember how pretty the girls from Mendham were. It’s seemed that was the prerequisite...had to be really good looking.

I noticed a lot of stAten island/brooklyn people have a hard time with the manalapan pronunciation. Something about it intermingled with their accents
So did Keith Jackson on ABC. LOL

They also say A-von instead of a-von. Usually adding the “by the Sea” part too. It’s good for profiling. 😉

Almost everyone in New Jersey says A von instead of a von, except some folks nearby.

In upstate NY the town of Accord (like the car) is pronounced “Ah-kird” (drove me nuts...)

I think every state has its quirks. Buena Vista in Colorado is pronounced BYOON-a VIS-ta. Del Norte is pronounced Del Nort.

From Monroe Twp. in Middlesex Country. Everyone from Monroe says "Mohnroe"....Everyone not from Monroe says "Munroe"......

E5, from the right side, from the left side, from the center, the profile is what it is. A camera can only take what it has to work with.

Pennsylvania has many tough ones. Some are neighborhoods. Rivers. Towns.
Passyunk, Moyamennsing, Schuylkill.... So many.
There's always NOORK Right in Essex Cty.And then there is HOE BOKEN. i have heard it corrected to HUB IK IN.

Last edited:
Two towns in the Carolinas spelled Beaufort. One state says boh fert and one says buuh fert.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT