ADVERTISEMENT

R Out of Staters Pronouncing NJ Towns

I worked for Verizon years back and I called our customer service and I was like it’s Keith from Succasunna location xyz. She was like suck a what? Always stuck with me for some reason

That's likely from generations of people not bothering to learn the proper spanish pronunciation than it is a quirk
This is not correct. Del Norte still has families that settled the San Luis Valley a couple of hundred years ago. Pronunciations are not usually the product of ignorance, but rather preference and pragmatism.

Manunka Chunk will see you both in her office.
Good one. Have you ever seen the nuns sitting roadside on Manunka Chunk Road hawking their jellies and breads? A totally bizarre scene, but I stopped once and bought a few things. The jams aren't even theirs - they are all commercial products with the labels washed off. Shysters...

Good one. Have you ever seen the nuns sitting roadside on Manunka Chunk Road hawking their jellies and breads? A totally bizarre scene, but I stopped once and bought a few things. The jams aren't even theirs - they are all commercial products with the labels washed off. Shysters...
That is bizarre

Reactions: SHUSource
This is not pronunciation related, but it fits with NJ town names.

I thought Little Egg Harbor got its name from the sulfur smell when the bay recedes. Then I learned the Egg Harbor part came because the Dutch liked to eat the gull eggs found in nearby nests (or maybe it was the Swedes, I forget who was prominent in that part of the state).

Actually, we'd have yet another "Raritan Township", which was incorporated in 1870 and changed its name to "Edison" in 1954. Metuchen was incorporated in 1900 but reference to the settlement can be found back to the early 1700's. Highland Park broke off from "Raritan" in 1905.

Hazlet down in Monmouth County also used to be called Raritan Township, until 1967.
yup. Grew up in Hazlet. The high school still carries the legacy name Raritan HS.

This is not correct. Del Norte still has families that settled the San Luis Valley a couple of hundred years ago. Pronunciations are not usually the product of ignorance, but rather preference and pragmatism.
What language is Bay-U-na derived from? Gibberish?
Never heard of pragmatism as a language.
Common sense says bad pronunciation or just straight refusal to accept it's origin.

The Haddon example which consists of three places as you listed that are located adjacent to one another. But appears to be a bit of a twist where Haddon Heights is officially a borough but I believe Haddonfield is the more historical urban municipality? I think Haddonfield and Haddon are both townships.
Actually, Haddonfield is the borough and Haddon is Haddon Township. I lived in both Haddonfield and Haddon Heights..

So, I'm literally the only person here who is thinking... "wow, women soccer players didn't look that amazing when I was in school"?

ok, u can cancel me now.

ADVERTISEMENT