ADVERTISEMENT

RAC Exterior Makeover

ouchmyknee

All Conference
Gold Member
Nov 10, 2006
Hoboken, NJ
Like most, I wish that we'd do something to the exterior of the RAC. I don't think it needs to be anything drastic, perhaps just adding new cladding on a new shell. Anyway, I took a little bit of time to mock up what would be a simple refresh. Let me know what you think. In this plan, a new front plane would be added that would be parallel to the rear slope creating a parallelogram shaped building instead of the existing trapezoid.

RAC-new_zps3uwq68e4.jpg

Cool start - dare to dream! I think pulling out the front part is a great idea and have always thought it could make sense to add a glass atrium to allow more space for concessions, tix sales, etc. Re-cladding the exterior in this way would not be terribly difficult or expensive, but I doubt it is a high priority at the moment with all Pat has planned.

I think it becomes a priority for Pat when the performance center is completed. The RAC will look drab against the spanking new PC. I think some donars will step up when they see the need to have some uniformity. Hopefully, the RAC makeover isn't so far into the future but at least a repainting with the block R and some other cosmetic changes makes it look pretty cool.

I think it becomes a priority for Pat when the performance center is completed. The RAC will look drab against the spanking new PC. I think some donars will step up when they see the need to have some uniformity. Hopefully, the RAC makeover isn't so far into the future but at least a repainting with the block R and some other cosmetic changes makes it look pretty cool.

Pat and his team don't like the idea of the incremental cosmetic changes as they are ultimately far more expensive over time than doing things right the first time. I think we will see a plan for the RAC that will include the exterior, but also address improved technology, more bathrooms, the elimination of the office space there, probably adding some suites and more hallways/concession areas. I agree that there are donors that will step up for that project. After the performance center and lacrosse/soccer are done - maybe plans floated in eighteen months.

Why waste money on something like this? it would look cool and unique if we had a packed house every game and won.

Why waste money on something like this? it would look cool and unique if we had a packed house every game and won.
We are losing out on a ton of potential revenue streams. With the football stadium, these are very visible facilities. It will get done, but will just take a few years.

Like most, I wish that we'd do something to the exterior of the RAC. I don't think it needs to be anything drastic, perhaps just adding new cladding on a new shell. Anyway, I took a little bit of time to mock up what would be a simple refresh. Let me know what you think. In this plan, a new front plane would be added that would be parallel to the rear slope creating a parallelogram shaped building instead of the existing trapezoid.

RAC-new_zps3uwq68e4.jpg
Nice. Something, anything to make this drab and frankly ugly exterior look better. I think as another poster said, and I agree with; once the Barnabas building is complete it will make the RAC look so bad, so outdated that something will have to be done to the exterior.

RAC-new_zps3uwq68e4.jpg
The first thing I noticed in the photo.....how awful the business school building still looks, truly horrendous fad design.

Last edited:
Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
I’m not sure what gets done near and if the building of the practice facility next to the RAC means if there was ever a new RAC, they would have to knock down the current building and rebuild something new on that site? I would be on favor of that and keeping the building in Piscataway rather than trying to put something in the middle of New Brunswick. Too much congestion with traffic. If we did rebuild, I could envision a multi purpose center for basketball and hockey and even concerts. Very expensive and probably 10 years away but with Big 10 money rolling in at that point and a big sponsor, anything is possible.

If you want something to bridge the gap, they could figure out a way to make it look more appealing and not just a coat of paint.

I actually like that building a lot.

I like it alot. Looks great! My problem is the already faded pre-fab beige dorms over Henry Rutgers Diner. Screams cheap.

All these years still mind boggling that they couldn't build a nice concourse for The RAC.
Solve a ton of issues.

Cool start - dare to dream! I think pulling out the front part is a great idea and have always thought it could make sense to add a glass atrium to allow more space for concessions, tix sales, etc. Re-cladding the exterior in this way would not be terribly difficult or expensive, but I doubt it is a high priority at the moment with all Pat has planned.
Former AD Pernetti had renderings made showing a atrium entrance with more space for concessions,rest rooms .ticket sales etc.The exterior appearance of the RAC would be far more appealing than the drab appearance which now exists.

Reactions: Scarlet Shack
talk about a missed revenue opportunity. Imagine the bucks from a Corp Sponsor painted across the top of this thing already..visible from every plane landing at Newark.

Perhaps we could have sold it to Temple Football.

#no-vision, #nocreativeness ....biggest empty billboard on the east coast.

Reactions: hoquat63 and RUEd
talk about a missed revenue opportunity. Imagine the bucks from a Corp Sponsor painted across the top of this thing already..visible from every plane landing at Newark.

Perhaps we could have sold it to Temple Football.

#no-vision, #nocreativeness ....biggest empty billboard on the east coast.

No vision or creativeness because we didn’t think marketing to landing planes was a priority?

This is one tough fan base to please.

No vision or creativeness because we didn’t think marketing to landing planes was a priority?

This is one tough fan base to please.
If you can see it from 15,000 feet can't you imagine what it would look like from the ground? Do you know how in your face the sides of that huge building are?
latest

th

WFC-f013c2e7de.JPG

wells-fargo-center-3601-south-broad-st-philadelphia-pa-19148-duncan-pearson.jpg

took me 5mins to find these..you want more?

Last edited:
Reactions: Local Shill
aerial_1.jpg

This was the original plan. I think something like this makes the most sense. They could add another 2,000 seated behind the entrance side basket and add some luxury boxes. Update the concourse, add more bathrooms and concessions and it still maintains the RACs "in your face", "right on top of you" environment but updated and with a facelift.

aerial_1.jpg

This was the original plan. I think something like this makes the most sense. They could add another 2,000 seated behind the entrance side basket and add some luxury boxes. Update the concourse, add more bathrooms and concessions and it still maintains the RACs "in your face", "right on top of you" environment but updated and with a facelift.
This would be fine and more than enough IMO for all the reasons listed above.

But in the meantime are you telling me we can’t at least powerwash this....

8471.jpg

This would be fine and more than enough IMO for all the reasons listed above.

But in the meantime are you telling me we can’t at least powerwash this....

8471.jpg
If you watch the recent topping off celebration for the practice facility it seems they did clean it. It looked nice. Well at least as nice as the RAC can look in it's current form.

If you can see it from 15,000 feet can't you imagine what it would look like from the ground? Do you know how in your face the sides of that huge building are?
latest

th

WFC-f013c2e7de.JPG

wells-fargo-center-3601-south-broad-st-philadelphia-pa-19148-duncan-pearson.jpg

took me 5mins to find these..you want more?

I understand the concept of throwing an ad or logo on a roof. That’s not the point.

You’re saying because we don’t have this our AD has “No vision” and “no creativeness”. You’re saying that about a guy that has raised almost 100M, is building a state of the art practice facility for basketball and wrestling, the Rodkin center, football practice fields, etc.

We are seeing an unprecedented transformation and you’re not happy because an advertisement isn’t on the RAC roofs for when planes fly by at 20k feet??

Reactions: PaKnight
How about just a coat of red paint over the concrete for now? It certainly cleaned up the stadium when all the concrete inside the football stadium was painted red.
I've always said a couple hundred gallons of elastomeric paint would do wonders for that place. And for Pete's sake don't use white. Non union it'd cost under $40K, union under $100K

Last edited:
I've always said a couple hundred gallons of elastomeric paint would do wonders for that place. And for Pete's sake don't use white. Non union it'd cost under $40K, union under $100K
We had some photoshop stuff that included some white.

We did red, white and black on the sides and it came out pretty good.

We had some photoshop stuff that included some white.

We did red, white and black on the sides and it came out pretty good.
White just shows dirt too easily. I would stay away from a white exterior at all costs. Red will hide dirt and grime much better, which is exactly why Rutgers chose white, because it's the stupid choice.

White just shows dirt too easily. I would stay away from a white exterior at all costs. Red will hide dirt and grime much better, which is why Rutgers chose white, because it's the stupid choice.
We did a striping thing where if you want white could be the thinnest stripe between the red and black.

We did a striping thing where if you want white could be the thinnest stripe between the red and black.
Let me see it if you can find it. Smart to not make white the primary color and just a stripe. I had a guy choose white brick for his house. I told him you're nuts. He said why. I said your house is going to look like sh*t in 5 yrs, that white will look like just dirt, mildew and grime. He said what if I power wash it. I said you really want to do that every 5 yrs.? Plus it's masonry not siding that crap etches in. He quickly chose a tan brick.

Last edited:
Wishful thinking:

If there are problems with remodeling the RAC, then use the land out in front of it for a new arena. There is enough land to build a new arena the right way. Keep the RAC for wrestling and gymnastics.
I agree I don't see the point in putting any money into this antiquated building. Put all money into a new arena.

Reactions: soundcrib
I agree I don't see the point in putting any money into this antiquated building. Put all money into a new arena.
The atmosphere at the RAC when it's packed is unbelievable though. The crowd is right on top of the players and it gets LOUD. I don't think we should give it up. A facelift is cheaper and let's us still maintain that advantage. Do you have any idea how much it will cost to build a new arena?

Wishful thinking:

If there are problems with remodeling the RAC, then use the land out in front of it for a new arena. There is enough land to build a new arena the right way. Keep the RAC for wrestling and gymnastics.
And volleyball.

The atmosphere at the RAC when it's packed is unbelievable though. The crowd is right on top of the players and it gets LOUD. I don't think we should give it up. A facelift is cheaper and let's us still maintain that advantage. Do you have any idea how much it will cost to build a new arena?
People need to stop using this as a reason to keep the RAC. People act like it would be impossible to ever have a home court advantage again if we ever got a new arena. At some point people need to stop standing in the way of progress in favor nostalgia.

This.
A new arena is probably $120 million... we have so many other priorities that need funding first. I think many have forgotten how much of an advantage the RAC is. i can't wait until we get it back!

Reactions: RUonBrain
People need to stop using this as a reason to keep the RAC. People act like it would be impossible to ever have a home court advantage again if we ever got a new arena. At some point people need to stop standing in the way of progress in favor nostalgia.
People need to realize new RAC ain’t happening for a long time.

People need to realize new RAC ain’t happening for a long time.
I never claimed that it was happening anytime soon or even thought it was. My point was people don't want a new arena for silly reasons. The only people who feel it is historic is our small bball fanbase.

This.
A new arena is probably $120 million... we have so many other priorities that need funding first. I think many have forgotten how much of an advantage the RAC is. i can't wait until we get it back!

Agree....$120 million for an on campus arena used from November to March is not a good investment. Starting next year it wont be needed for practice or workouts.

I'll take a Cameron Indoor areana all day over the bigger ones. Redo the exterior and make some changes to the inside and it lasts for another 10-15 years.

Last edited:
I never claimed that it was happening anytime soon or even thought it was. My point was people don't want a new arena for silly reasons. The only people who feel it is historic is our small bball fanbase.
The silliest is the cost.

If we had that issues solved I bet those that don’t want a new one would change their tune pretty quick.

This.
It cost $100 million to build the expansion on the football stadium in 2009. It would cost WAY MORE than $120 million.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT