ADVERTISEMENT

RAC paint refresh renders - Photoshop skills

I say skip the paint, go with a classy look and put a brick facade on it.

also, anyone who says the RAC has the ugliest exterior in the Big Ten, has never been to Carver Hawkeye arena (Iowa)
12045210.jpg

thumbnail.jpg

Can you Garden State Brickface that entire thing? I think we should paint a giant ass mural all over the building featuring great Rutgers basketball players.
Agree, that's what I want to see. I want to see a red base layer, with A big block R at like a 45 degree angle, Rutgers script , maybe like a classy graffiti treatment. This should be low cost and immediately done until we can do something like a brick facade for long term

The look of the exterior is hopefully at the bottom of the priority list. Way behind adding revenue generating seats (that protect or enhance the acoustics and HCA)…and bathrooms of course.

Couldn’t care less what the outside of it looks like. Sculpt it into a giant middle finger pointing towards State College or the Rock for all I care.

Agree, that's what I want to see. I want to see a red base layer, with A big block R at like a 45 degree angle, Rutgers script , maybe like a classy graffiti treatment. This should be low cost and immediately done until we can do something like a brick facade for long term
When they actually remodel and renovate it would be cool to have an art space for a mural like that with space to add. We have got the talent at Mason Gross and in the City of New Brunswick to make it happen.

I say skip the paint, go with a classy look and put a brick facade on it.

also, anyone who says the RAC has the ugliest exterior in the Big Ten, has never been to Carver Hawkeye arena (Iowa)
12045210.jpg

thumbnail.jpg
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, okay Dave?

The RAC exterior is already a pricey white stone block of some sort.. isn't it?

Its dirty in many places.. but whne you see painted brick exterior it is usually a case of cheaping out on re-pointing the brick. Both painting and reporting should require a good cleaning first... but you never know. So many things could be done... but all have their disadvantages.

Example. A line of arborvitaes which would eventuall be tall enough to break u the large blank wall. Disadvange? potential hidey spots for bad guys preying on fans. Not that this is a big issue now.

clean up the sides and do something to prevent waterstains from the roof on down.
RacExterior.jpg

Now the front.. hell... paint that sloping roof and stick in a giant block R. That's cool. And use black shades inside those office windows.

1920px-Louis_Brown_Athletic_Center_outside.JPG

Is this still teh plan for teh entrance? if so, a red slope and block R might harm that look.
rutgers-knights-rac-basketball-arena-plaza-practice-ballparchitecture.jpg

Last edited:

Its dirty in many places.. but whne you see painted brick exterior it is usually a case of cheaping out on re-pointing the brick. Both painting and reporting should require a good cleaning first... but you never know. So many things could be done... but all have their disadvantages.

Example. A line of arborvitaes which would eventuall be tall enough to break u the large blank wall. Disadvange? potential hidey spots for bad guys preying on fans. Not that this is a big issue now.

clean up the sides and do something to prevent waterstains from the roof on down.
RacExterior.jpg

Now the front.. hell... paint that sloping roof and stick in a giant block R. That's cool. And use black shades inside those office windows.

Is this still teh plan for teh entrance? if so, a red slope and block R might harm that look.
Some simple should be done in the interim.. it's an eyesore currently. To your point- at least power wash the damn thing. How much would that cost? $50k?

Some simple should be done in the interim.. it's an eyesore currently. To your point- at least power wash the damn thing. How much would that cost? $50k?
Um.. maybe they do every year at a certain time.. but it just gets ugly again the next rainstorm.. but more likely maybe it is really tough sooty stuff because it has been there for so long... and powerwash will just lead to need for re-pointing the grout. And as they are contemplating expansions, new arenas.. meh.. How about this.. don't look up!

AVERT THINE EYES!
averting-our-eyes-monty-python.gif

RacExterior.jpg

I always thought this entrance “plan” was hideous and very cheap looking. Lots of wasted space and it looks like a grade-schooler designed it. I’d rather do nothing than this.

I always thought this entrance “plan” was hideous and very cheap looking. Lots of wasted space and it looks like a grade-schooler designed it. I’d rather do nothing than this.
But here’s the thing - no one wants to mess with the actual RAC and rightfully so. You have a bunch of space out front that isn’t used for much of anything. You can establish a concourse with a food court and other amenities that alleviates bottlenecks. The design can be altered or made more modern, but I don’t oppose the concept. This concept allows us to have our cake and eat it too.

Original design with that concession stand, bathrooms all within 5 feet of the main entrance door not great. Get the 50/50 out of that spot also and get rid of the overpriced cookie guy right there also

Get a solar company to sponsor panels for the roof. Let them have a booth on game days to promote their product.

I would think you could project a block R image like the bat signal on the side of the building (parking lot side) for night events.

Last edited:
The old renderings there was expand the lobby on that side and have the practice courts there too (not needed now with the APC). The new plan (and why they have to play a year away from the RAC) is to put the big lobby/entrance on the sideline side that faces the parking lots (makes much more sense). And the current “lobby” will become a concourse with seats & boxes above (where the offices are). IMO if done right this will actually somehow make the RAC even louder than it is now

You've got a big building made out of plain white surfaces. We should be using projection mapping at night.

Get the players up there on the side of the building at night. And there should be a big white Block R somewhere close using this type of projection mapping, too ...

Run a student contest every year for the best projection design, where the top two or three get used all season.

I will say it till either I die or the RAC dies.

Build a large, glass cube superstructure that will match the Business school building and which can be lit up in red for game days.
Powerwash the RAC so it shines. Paint the grey aluminum\metal roof either red for contrast or white for match.
Fill the superstructure with new food options, lobby, bathrooms, press room, broadcast space, etc. Possibly even a club space.

Leave the inside of the RAC largely the same, except for getting rid of the press room and building up 118 to match the student section.

Long live the Trapezoid of Terror.

You've got a big building made out of plain white surfaces. We should be using projection mapping at night.

Get the players up there on the side of the building at night. And there should be a big white Block R somewhere close using this type of projection mapping, too ...

Run a student contest every year for the best projection design, where the top two or three get used all season.
O.. M.. G.. YES!

Long live the Trapezoid of Terror.
My rennovate stuff wouldn't care much about exterior.. but make the interior as good as possible... and that means wrap-aound seating and removing those columns.

And removing the columns means removing the roof... which looks like it needs to be replaced anyway.

And that requires a whole different kind of roof. Put the columns all outside the existing structure and hang a roof off that... cantilevered... so it would exist even if the trapeziod disappeared.

The issue is New Jersey heavy wet snow and your occasional hurricane. Might be quite an engineering effort... but we have a greatengineeringschool, right?

Anyway, if you do that, then the inside concourse on both side could be much wider... even room for escalators/elevators to the top so fans up there can walk down to their seats.

what you make it look like after that... I'm sure I'll have an opinion then.. just make it awesome. But make the roof an engineering marvel and sell that idea to grab engineering students.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
My rennovate stuff wouldn't care much about exterior.. but make the interior as good as possible... and that means wrap-aound seating and removing those columns.

And removing the columns means removing the roof... which looks like it needs to be replaced anyway.

And that requires a whole different kind of roof. Put the columns all outside the existing structure and hang a roof off that... cantilevered... so it would exist even if the trapeziod disappeared.

The issue is New Jersey heavy wet snow and your occasional hurricane. Might be quite an engineering effort... but we have a greatengineeringschool, right?

Anyway, if you do that, then the inside concourse on both side could be much wider... even room for escalators/elevators to the top so fans up there can walk down to their seats.

what you make it look like after that... I'm sure I'll have an opinion then.. just make it awesome. But make the roof an engineering marvel and sell that idea to grab engineering students.
The columns have to stay where they are. I've heard it from several who would know. The cost to remove the columns would be tremendous. A new arena would be easier to build than removing the columns.

The columns have to stay where they are. I've heard it from several who would know. The cost to remove the columns would be tremendous. A new arena would be easier to build than removing the columns.
I suppose that's true.. but it would be building a new arena. If you built it in the same place you'd have to demo every think.. as it is you have the back bleachers and front offices you'd have to blow out to drop those columns. Expensive, yes... but you are looking to rebuild those sides anyway. Adding new stuff within the limitations is just wasting money that should go to improving the whole structure. Building a front entrance addition is just lipstick on a pig... and that's money you won't get back when you need it for a real rebuild.

Do it right or don't do it at all. Put everything into maintenance then and make what you have look and feel better without dropping a load on some useless entrance area. I guess RAC people get new offices.. so they get that. Some contractors get an easy build of an addition rather than a rennovation...

Removing the hill for the south endzone build at the stadium was expensive also... but we did it. (Still don't know why we paid to trucked it far away instead of adding some height to various grounds around the campus.. or even across River Road in Johnson Park.. could have made a nice sledding hill there).

Last edited:
Reactions: MiloTalon13

Nope

You know, if they actually were to go out an invest in projection mapping, they could do so many other things with it too ... they could show away games on the side of the building. They could hold student "drive-in" movies on Friday or Saturday nights. Rutgers is in a Bowl Game? How about having a festival in the RAC parking lot with the game on the side of the building?

I mean sh#t, this is just a quickie sloppy Photoshop that I threw together, but if it was me? We goin' BLACK RAC. Then throwin' a red glow backlit evil-looking TRAPEZOID OF TERROR on the side. Hit it with some red lights at night. Could you imagine being a visiting fan? And a little old lady at that? Would look like a haunted house of horrors, and would be just the intimidating factor to put us over the edge and finally be considered THE toughest place in America to play, haha. I'm kidding, kinda. Kinda not though, ha:

3e0oFnV

I mean sh#t, this is just a quickie sloppy Photoshop that I threw together, but if it was me? We goin' BLACK RAC. Then throwin' a red glow backlit evil-looking TRAPEZOID OF TERROR on the side. Hit it with some red lights at night. Could you imagine being a visiting fan? And a little old lady at that? Would look like a haunted house of horrors, and would be just the intimidating factor to put us over the edge and finally be considered THE toughest place in America to play, haha. I'm kidding, kinda. Kinda not though, ha:

3e0oFnV
I always thought they needed to play up the "trapezoid of terror" nickname. Make a promo with the players dressed up like vampires or other holloween costumes. Hire a voice actor to record "welcome to the trapezoid of terror, (evil laugh)".

It would be hilarious to see Cliff dressed up like a mummy or something.

Where my royalties at? And you're welcome. 😎

There was some photoshop work of the exterior done on this forum and the Issues Board a few years ago.

We had a red bottom with a white top for one with the "HOME OF THE SCARLETS KNIGHTS" in a contrasting color...red or black.

RAC-cleaned.jpg

Would love to see this look like a Cylon's face from Battlestar Galactica where a red light would go back and forth.

Um.. maybe they do every year at a certain time.. but it just gets ugly again the next rainstorm.. but more likely maybe it is really tough sooty stuff because it has been there for so long... and powerwash will just lead to need for re-pointing the grout. And as they are contemplating expansions, new arenas.. meh.. How about this.. don't look up!

AVERT THINE EYES!
averting-our-eyes-monty-python.gif
Was just thinking to Paint or Illuminate (Neon) Scarlet Knigh(t) s - "we are the Knights who say "Knigh"!!!

MO

RAC-cleaned-NIGHT-redfloods.jpg

i turned earlier cleaned RAC into a faux night shot.. then did a cheap lighting effect that wasn't very malleable. Are there ZERO digital arts students who are also basketball fans who can quickly take this image, makes BLENDER model and light it up as a 3D object.. perhaps with a 3D block R or text on the building then lit as they might imagine it would look good? Must I finally learn BLENDER and so on?
RAC-cleaned-NIGHT.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: DowntownT_Brown
ADVERTISEMENT