ADVERTISEMENT

Randy Edsall Contract Extended

Interesting but you lost me at WVU to the B1G. Don't see the fit. ACC maybe.
Acc is where they really belong. Decent football and basketball as well as baseball on the men’s side and excellent women’s soccer. Academics probably hurt them in most realignment discussions.

Reactions: bigmatt718
If you had to bet the ranch, going forward, who draws bigger crowds, Temple at The Linc or UConn at Airport Stadium ?
Yeesh.

At least the Linc is a real football stadium, not a corny airstrip. Plus, it is marginally close to their campus. The airstrip may as well be in another state. Plus, plus, I would be livid if I was a connie resident and the government wasted so much money on that epic boondoggle.

Connie has been, and always will be, a joke of a program. Could not have happened to a more deserving group of obnoxious fans. Good Riddance.

At some point, somebody is taking Central Florida. One of the two or three biggest schools in the country, administration that opened a brand new arena and stadium in the same year, big growing city, economy hurting now like just about everywhere, but once corona is over the zillions of Mickey lovers will be back down there

Reactions: cicero grimes
At some point, somebody is taking Central Florida. One of the two or three biggest schools in the country, administration that opened a brand new arena and stadium in the same year, big growing city, economy hurting now like just about everywhere, but once corona is over the zillions of Mickey lovers will be back down there
Mickey lovers...them are some scary folk! 😬

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
Speculation

If Conference realignment begins again, it could start with the Big 12 in the next 3 years.

Oklahoma was making some noise about the Big 12.

What will the new round of TV Contracts for the Big 12 amount to compared to the old contract.

TV Sports viewership is down.

SEC is going all in with ESPN/ABC in 2023 leaving CBS out.

Big 12 is the 1st P-5 Conference to have their GOR's expire in 2024.

No P-5 Conference Team is going to the Big 12. Look at the teams the Big 12 could have gotten if they wanted to expand to 12 members.

Could we end up with 4 (16 member) major Conferences.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
Correct me if I am wrong, but does not their Big East contract prevent them from placing their FB program in another conf?

Nobody considers UConn to be part of the NY City media market ... check out a map. Maybe Greenwich and Stamford could be, but definitely not the Hartford area. Btw, Hartford is one of the most downtrodden cities in the US, used to be known as the insurance capital of the world, but most large insurers have either moved out or downsized their presence in Hartford. Bottom line, I don't see any media market attraction associated with UConn.

Storrs isn't really in any market, is it? Pretty rural.

If UConn football won a game at their level you could make a case for the market in CT on the whole. But the infatuation with TV markets has probably passed (we got into the B1G and its network just in the nick of time), and their football program, playing an independent schedule, is probably broken beyond repair. There's no conference championship to play for, no hopes of playing who UConn views to be their peers on a regular basis, and I doubt that even Scnellenberger could make them a winner at this point.

They would have to bring a value equal to other members in a conference, and wouldn't do that even in the American at this point. They put their eggs in the basketball basket and now will be in the Big East for ever.

Cincinnati, Houston or BYU remain the best overall picks of the non P5 to move up -- I think UCF is a notch below them. If the B12 had been interested, they would have taken one or two the last time they flirted with expansion.

The ACC won't be interested in any of them, and if anyone is picking over the remains of the B12, WVU would be the only real choice to expand (along with ND in full time). The ACC held their nose and chose UL once, would they do it again? Or would the ACC take WVU and Kansas, going to 17 members?

No one will take that job. He actually has leverage there.

I disagree he has leverage. UConn has essentially thrown their football program under the bus so their basketball teams could rejoin the Big East. They may be on the verge of downgrading to FCS as Idaho did a few years ago. Leaving the American Athletic Conference demonstrates that basketball calls the shots. He'd only have leverage if anyone cared about UConn football.

Acc is where they really belong. Decent football and basketball as well as baseball on the men’s side and excellent women’s soccer. Academics probably hurt them in most realignment discussions.
WVU is definitely an ACC school at heart. I'd lmao if the ACC added WVU and Temple (Philly market) over UConn to get to 16 teams + ND as a leech.

Reactions: JRZEER
Shea was 7-26 when he was extended, but was coming off a 5-6 season and BE COY honors.

That was the most deceiving 5-6 in history. 6 blowout losses and 5 close wins over Richmond, Army, Navy, Temple, and Pitt. Not sure what was wrong with Pitt that season.

Schedule
DateOpponentSiteTVResult
September 5Richmond*W 7–6
September 12at Boston CollegeESPN+L 14–41
September 19at No. 13 SyracuseESPN+L 14–70
September 26Army*
  • Rutgers Stadium
  • Piscataway, New Jersey
W 27–15
October 3Miami (FL)
  • Rutgers Stadium
  • Piscataway, New Jersey
ESPN+L 17–53
October 17at PittsburghESPN+W 25–21
October 24No. 22 Tulane*
  • Rutgers Stadium
  • Piscataway, New Jersey
L 24–52
October 31Temple
  • Rutgers Stadium
  • Piscataway, New Jersey
W 21–10
November 7at Navy*W 36–33
November 14West Virginia
  • Rutgers Stadium
  • Piscataway, New Jersey
BENL 14–28
November 21at No. 23 Virginia TechL 7–47
  • *Non-conference game
  • Rankings from AP Poll released prior to the game

UConn’s move to the Big East seems to be a bold statement by them that they have put their athletic eggs in the mbb/wbb basket. They put the football program on the back burner. I can’t see any p5 conference even thinking about them. I see UCF, Cincy, Boise, Temple, far more inviting targets when and if restructuring begins anew.

I have twin nephews who graduated from UConn. They keep trying to tell me that going independent is a great move for the program because they can now schedule whoever they want and aren't tied to the AAC of which none of their fans cared about. They've actually said that they can now be "just like Notre Dame"

One of them (BTW they both applied to RU and didn't get in) has actually bet me a round of golf at Pebble Beach that they will average more fans per game this year than we will. I can't wait to play a free $500 round on him next summer

Maybe that makes me a bad uncle and I love my nephews but, sometimes you have to take advantage of people who make stupid bets

I have twin nephews who graduated from UConn. They keep trying to tell me that going independent is a great move for the program because they can now schedule whoever they want and aren't tied to the AAC of which none of their fans cared about. They've actually said that they can now be "just like Notre Dame"

One of them (BTW they both applied to RU and didn't get in) has actually bet me a round of golf at Pebble Beach that they will average more fans per game this year than we will. I can't wait to play a free $500 round on him next summer

Maybe that makes me a bad uncle and I love my nephews but, sometimes you have to take advantage of people who make stupid bets

Some people, even nephews, have to learn the hard way.

Hard to say. Temple doesn't draw dick unless PSU, ND, or RU are playing at the Linc, and why would any sane person go to a UConn football game?
They have Oklahoma coming to the Linc in 2025, that should come pretty close to filling the stadium.

Yes, every Sooner alumnus east of Illinois and north of North Carolina will be driving to Pennsy.

Last edited:
Reactions: cicero grimes
Yes, every Sooner alumnus east of Illinois and north of North Carolina will be in East Hartford.
Temple has Oklahoma on the schedule. As we know there is some great talent in that area, as for East Hartford, I can't see why any national program would agree to make that trip.

Do they truly believe that or is this just rationalization? I remember quite a few posters here who said RU should go Independent (before the B1G move) if the B1G or ACC didn't come calling.

Enjoy your round of golf. Home opponents in 2021 (UConn vs RU)
Holy Cross vs Temple
Purdue vs Delaware
Wyoming vs Ohio State
Yale vs Michigan State
Middle Tennessee State vs Wisconsin
Houston vs Maryland

RU may have more visiting fans than UConn has fans.

Do they truly believe that or is this just rationalization? I remember quite a few posters here who said RU should go Independent (before the B1G move) if the B1G or ACC didn't come calling.

Holy Cross vs Temple
Purdue vs Delaware
Wyoming vs Ohio State
Yale vs Michigan State
Houston vs Maryland

OSU, Sparty, and Wisconsin will draw more road fans themselves than UConn does fans period this season.

Holy Cross vs Temple
Purdue vs Delaware
Wyoming vs Ohio State
Yale vs Michigan State
Houston vs Maryland

Th

Holy Cross vs Temple
Purdue vs Delaware
Wyoming vs Ohio State
Yale vs Michigan State
Houston vs Maryland

They are both regular posters on the Uconn message board where lunacy seems to reign.

They truly believe that their affiliation with the AAC was the cause of the football & basketball demise. When I try and counter with the fact that they couldn't beat anyone in the conference their response is that "it's because nobody from Uconn wanted to be in that league".

I also think it's funny that they continue to say that the football program has a huge leg up on everyone else because while all these teams were actually playing games they were focusing on getting bigger and stronger in the weight room. It's like no other school was doing any workouts while they were putting in all this work.

Looking at their schedule for this season, if they don't win games this year they may never win again.

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
Th

They are both regular posters on the Uconn message board where lunacy seems to reign.

They truly believe that their affiliation with the AAC was the cause of the football & basketball demise. When I try and counter with the fact that they couldn't beat anyone in the conference their response is that "it's because nobody from Uconn wanted to be in that league".

I also think it's funny that they continue to say that the football program has a huge leg up on everyone else because while all these teams were actually playing games they were focusing on getting bigger and stronger in the weight room. It's like no other school was doing any workouts while they were putting in all this work.

Looking at their schedule for this season, if they don't win games this year they may never win again.
Clemson might literally hang 100 on them this season. UConn's fate will be cannon fodder for OSU, Penn State, ND, Bama, Clemson, etc., unless they decide to drop down to FCS or quit football completely.

Th

Rationalization it is.

How many games do you believe they should they win? They play 2 FCS (Holy Cross and Yale) next year and 6 of their 10 FBS opponents have posted losing records over the past two years. Clemson (26-3), UCF (16-7), Army (14-11), and Wyoming (10-9) are their four opponents with winning records in addition to two struggling P5 teams in Purdue (6-12) and Vanderbilt (3-18). 4-8 should be considered disastrous and 6-6 being marginally acceptable. That could still be a tall order for a program who has not posted a winning record since 2010.

Rationalization it is.

How many games do you believe they should they win? They play 2 FCS (Holy Cross and Yale) next year and 6 of their 10 FBS opponents have posted losing records over the past two years. Clemson (26-3), UCF (16-7), Army (14-11), and Wyoming (10-9) are their four opponents with winning records in addition to two struggling P5 teams in Purdue (6-12) and Vanderbilt (3-18). 4-8 should be considered disastrous and 6-6 being marginally acceptable. That could still be a tall order for a program who has not posted a winning record since 2010.
A non crap team should have 6 wins guaranteed with that schedule. Fun part, not sure the connies win more than 3.

Th

I have yet to have a rational conversation with someone from UCONN regarding athletics or academics for that matter.

I was at a wedding in the late 90's when UCONN women's basketball was on one of their many dominant runs, Sue Bird etc.... Seated at the same table with a family of UCONN women's basketball fans. If you think their football fans are delusional try having a conversation with this family. They truly believed that the UCONN women's basketball team would make it easily to the sweet 16 on the mens side. I told them that a boys varsity high school team would dismantle their team much less a D1 basketball team. Father and son followed me around for the entire reception trying to convince me otherwise.

Big 12 needs to either add 2 teams to get to 12, or break up the Power 5(14,14,14,12,10=64) to Mega 4, 4 16 team conferences next 5-10 years.

This would be my best guess,
B16- Iowa, Iowa St, UM, MSU, Wisc, Minn, Ill, NW,
Md, RU, Pitt, PSU, Indiana, Purdue, Nebraska, OSU

ACC- BC, Syracuse, V.Tech, Virginia, Duke, UNC, WF, NCSt
Clemson, S. Carolina, Miami, FSU, Ga. Tech, WVU, Louisville, Kentucky

SEC- Alabama, Auburn, Fla, Ga, Ark, Tenn, Vandy, LSU
Kansas, KSU, Missouri, TX A&M?, Baylor?, TCU?, Miss, MSU

Pac 16-Wash, WSU, Oregon, OSU, Stan, Cal, UCLA, USC,
Colorado, Utah, Az, ASU, Okla, OSU, Texas, TTU?

1 of Baylor, TCU, TTU, A&M can go with U of TX, Pac 16.
ND can do whatever they want and be left out with UConn.

Last edited:
I know they say be careful what you wish for, but I want Texas-Austin in the Big 10. 30 million people and growing and an endless supply of football, baseball, basketball, and probably down the line hockey and lacrosse players.

Reactions: bigmatt718
Big 12 needs to either add 2 teams to get to 12, or break up the Power 5(14,14,14,12,10=64) to Mega 4, 4 16 team conferences next 5-10 years.

This would be my best guess,
B16- Iowa, Iowa St, UM, MSU, Wisc, Minn, Ill, NW,
Md, RU, Pitt, PSU, Indiana, Purdue, Nebraska, OSU

ACC- BC, Syracuse, V.Tech, Virginia, Duke, UNC, WF, NCSt
Clemson, S. Carolina, Miami, FSU, Ga. Tech, WVU, Louisville, Kentucky

SEC- Alabama, Auburn, Fla, Ga, Ark, Tenn, Vandy, LSU
Kansas, KSU, Missouri, TX A&M?, Baylor?, TCU?, Miss, MSU

Pac 16-Wash, WSU, Oregon, OSU, Stan, Cal, UCLA, USC,
Colorado, Utah, Az, ASU, Okla, OSU, Texas, TTU?

1 of Baylor, TCU, TTU, A&M can go with U of TX, Pac 16.
ND can do whatever they want and be left out with UConn.
That is one polluted stream of consciousness! It always amazes me how little people outside Texas know about state of Texas football...A&M and Texas will never ever ever ever ever ever ever be in the same conference again ...like ever!

Baylor can only remain in the b12...they will not merit any other conference invite

Texas tech and ok state in the PAC...cute! Those snobs in the PAC will never go for it...

Reactions: knightinaz
ADVERTISEMENT