ADVERTISEMENT

Rapino's PK goal

rudad02

All American
Nov 7, 2010
Did anyone notice that Rapino out waited the Dutch keeper ever, ever so slightly, by a fraction of a second, before her strike. The keeper's body shifted ever so slightly toward the right corner before Rapino struck her ball to the left side. Rapino struck her ball sharply & placed it where she wanted to. Not only did that demonstrate skill, but also an enormous amount of poise & control, especially in that pressure packed moment & against just an excellent goalie. She had the pressure of a goal probably deciding the game & the Cup, plus the pressure created by her own words & actions. Ice water in her veins. She demonstrated why Ellis had chosen her to take the PK's. Well done indeed.

Last edited:
As an old keeper, I saw the trick Rapino used. She used the back half of her foot to hit the ball to the left, but the keeper sees the toe of shoe which normally means the ball is going to the right. The keeper started right but couldn't correct to left in time.

As an old keeper, I saw the trick Rapino used. She used the back half of her foot to hit the ball to the left, but the keeper sees the toe of shoe which normally means the ball is going to the right. The keeper started right but couldn't correct to left in time.

Excellent technique by Rapinoe.She really showed the world poise and finish.

Is it me or did she not miss a PK the entire tournament? If so, that's incredible to be able to do that on that stage.

ADVERTISEMENT