ADVERTISEMENT

Ray Rice...

The guy is still paying the price through this day, as he should to a point. No NFL team wants to touch him despite his talent.

However give the man credit for showing face and educating others. Time heals all. I think he's done as an NFL player simply because once you're out of the league, it's so hard to get back in. Hopefully he finds a career in counseling youngsters and/or becoming a coach. There's more than just being a player in ways you can help the game.

He was way too casual dragging his unconscious girlfriend out of the elevator for me to assume it was a one time thing.
I respect your opinion but nothing in Ray's history points to him being a bad person. He hit a woman, he shouldn't have done that but that doesn"t define who he is.

Sorry if I made you think about something that you wouldn't normally think about.
You dont have to apologize to me. I'm just saying this was pretty random. Made me think that something else happened and had to search it.

You dont have to apologize to me. I'm just saying this was pretty random. Made me think that something else happened and had to search it.
Yeah it was random, sorry for posting a random thread on this board, lol.

That's my point, it shouldn't define him. He is a better man than that one incident.
I have no idea. I don't really know him. I spoke with him a few times many years ago, but those were superficial conversations.

The elevator videos didn't reflect the man I hope he would be. But it was certainly him in the video.

I think the one thing everyone can agree on is that he certainly has a unique lesson to impart on younger people now, and that kind of thing is very valuable if you want to refine a football program to have exemplary culture.

Ray Rice, in a league full of guys who have or have had criminal backgrounds, was unfortunately made an example of. He more then paid the price for his crime. Time to bring him back into the mainstream of society. It's good to see him publicly associated with Rutgers again.

Ray Rice, in a league full of guys who have or have had criminal backgrounds, was unfortunately made an example of. He more then paid the price for his crime. Time to bring him back into the mainstream of society. It's good to see him publicly associated with Rutgers again.
I agree.

Ray Rice paid the price for his actions.
The price was his NFL career and though I hope he gets another chance in the NFL,
I doubt he will.

He was way too casual dragging his unconscious girlfriend out of the elevator for me to assume it was a one time thing.

If it weren't a one time thing, then Janay wouldn't have been spitting on him and going at him like that. She felt perfectly safe doing so. He'll never hit her again (bet she never spits on him again either).

Reactions: Rokodesh
She married him, all charges dropped. Good guy that made a mistake after drinking. Nfl days were over despite that, his numbers were down.

You mean the one time he was caught abusing a woman on camera. He'd have to be the unluckiest man in the history of the world to have his only attack being caught on camera.

No the one time he lost control after his wife was spitting on him and violently coming after him. They both learned a valuable lesson from the experience.

Reactions: MADHAT1
He had a longer NFL career than most and in the process won a Super Bowl and made some good money, cant ask for much more than that. He may have had another year or two if the incident didn't happen but it did and his career is over. Time for him to focus on the next chapter in his life. I have no doubt it will be a good one.

I think he only averaged 3.1 ypc his last season. It wasn't his character that kept teams from bringing him back, NFL teams are pretty liberal on who they will let play, Rice just looked like he was done in his last season.

I think Ray would be the first to admit that he messed up, not because he lost his playing career but because he hurt the woman he loves. So many bad guys get second and third chances, a good guy like Ray Rice, should've gotten another chance.

I think he only averaged 3.1 ypc his last season. It wasn't his character that kept teams from bringing him back, NFL teams are pretty liberal on who they will let play, Rice just looked like he was done in his last season.
I disagree, there are worse running backs in the league right now. Rice still had some gas in the tank, hitting his wife kept him out of the league more than anything.

I think Ray would be the first to admit that he messed up, not because he lost his playing career but because he hurt the woman he loves. So many bad guys get second and third chances, a good guy like Ray Rice, should've gotten another chance.
He has gotten another chance. His wife dropped all charges, he's slowly being welcomed back into the Rutgers football program, he's out talking about making good choices, etc.. He's just not playing in the NFL anymore, which is more likely due to his production potential rather than his off-field transgressions (I think Greg Hardy and others having continued opportunities tells us all we need to know there).

I loved Ray. I also "thought" he was a good guy and great ambassador for RU. Of course, my opinion was based on the few times I met him at RU related events and reading about his charity efforts, etc. The AC video may have been an isolated incident. I won't ever know because I'm not friends/family with him and/or his wife.

Now, I don't call him a good guy anymore. I also don't call him an abuser. I simply say that what was on that video was inconsistent with my experiences with him and/or what I read about him, but you cannot ignore the video. I'm not really sure how anyone who is not friends with him can say otherwise.

You mean the one time he was caught abusing a woman on camera. He'd have to be the unluckiest man in the history of the world to have his only attack being caught on camera.

If Ray was a serial beater he would have thrown his wife over his shoulder like a sack of potatoes before those elevator doors opened and said "Drunk again." and rolled his eyes at the security guard on the other side once the doors opened. He didn't because he didn't know what to do because it's not something he regularly does.

He could have carried her like that all the way back to the room and nobody would have given it a second thought unless there was someone right there to check the camera or was asked to do so.

Because I believe it's not something that happened before doesn't excuse him, but it does dial down the punishment due to a really, really bad mistake that should have cost him, but not his whole career when you consider he played on a team with a murderer. There was just no appalling video of Lewis twisting the knife.

He has gotten another chance. His wife dropped all charges, he's slowly being welcomed back into the Rutgers football program, he's out talking about making good choices, etc.. He's just not playing in the NFL anymore, which is more likely due to his production potential rather than his off-field transgressions (I think Greg Hardy and others having continued opportunities tells us all we need to know there).

I would agree to an extent. But I also think what is hurting Ray is the video aspect. It's not like Rothlesburger or Ray Lewis or others where people try to pretend that that the whole thing was a sham. He will never be able to escape that.

Those bad guys often don't do things on video. It was the video that did him in.

I believe if not for the domestic assault Ray might have been given a tryout, but his production was down and teams probably felt it better not to take a look to see if he had something left in his tank.

The reality is that right now it pretty much does define him.

...and the fact that he has embraced that and has become an advocate against it speaks volumes about his character and acceptance of what he is "defined by"

The yard per carry thing bugs me. His backup went from 4.9 a carry to 2.9 a carry. That tells me the line was bad that year. His backup was the kid from Temple.

The yard per carry thing bugs me. His backup went from 4.9 a carry to 2.9 a carry. That tells me the line was bad that year. His backup was the kid from Temple.
Probably the line was a major part of that poor ypc, but a running back usually starts declining
and 6 years is a career for many when used as much as Ray was.
What surprises me is teams didn't take a look at him because he was a great receiver out of the backfield and had 58 receptions (5.5) his last year at Baltimore.

We are talking about Ray Rice as a player, I want to talk about him as a man....IMO, he is a good man.

Using the same logic you'd have to be able to present all the public arguments and police calls and so on to support all the other times he must have forgotten himself in public.

Why are you so quick to assume that this wasn't a case of him being terribly drunk and being pushed hard and reacting badly? You have zero evidence to support any other conclusion.

I love Ray Rice too. He was awesome here. Won us a lot of games. Always seemed like a high character guy. I want him to find peace and happiness in his post-NFL life and be a part of Rutgers.

But let's call a spade a spade here.

Anyone on a message board claiming he's a "good guy," or some random act he does "speaks volumes about his character" is just some other guy that doesn't know Ray Rice the man. I'm not saying these people are wrong, but we don't know the guy. We want him to be a high character guy because he's a representative of a school we all love, but fact is -- 99.9% of us talking about him here know him as intimately as we do Greg Schiano, or Chris Ash, or Kenny Britt, or anyone else who's been through our program.

Using the same logic you'd have to be able to present all the public arguments and police calls and so on to support all the other times he must have forgotten himself in public.

Why are you so quick to assume that this wasn't a case of him being terribly drunk and being pushed hard and reacting badly? You have zero evidence to support any other conclusion.

really like your avatar

I never heard of him being violent against anyone. Rice was the biggest sports story in the country for a while, yet no one ever came out and said they observed him acting up. His wife, that evening, certainly didn't possess the demeanor of a battered spouce, did she. She looked like someone acting without any fear of repercussion whatsoecer. Not using that to imply that Rays actions that night are excused, but to suggest, clearly, that he is not a violent person. He's a guy who struck his wife in an elevator while she was cursing, spitting and menacingly approaching him. We could imaging how one person might reasonably strike another person who is doing that. Not to excuse it. But to suggest the factors which led to this were so ridiculous that a ridiculous response to such circumstances can be seen be seen as exceptional and isolated, particularly in the absence of any other accounts of Rays violence and his and Janay subsequent reconciliation/marriage.

Ray is a really good dude and always has been. If this could happen to him I feel like it could happen to anyone who has any pride or "juice" in them. I think that if girls were taken aside in freshman year health class and educated that its not OK to beat, spit at, and verbally abuse your man because he's not going to hit you back and there's nothing he can do about it...... there'd be a lot less domestic violence. Ray snapped and what he did was wrong but there are way too many young women who think they can get away with murder because of their gender.

ADVERTISEMENT