ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball RBaseball HC previews Miami series

Indiana, last year’s Big Ten champ, opens with a 3-game set at LSU in Baton Rouge, which makes some sense. Rutgers being a punching bag for Miami to start every season is a head scratcher. Would love to see our overall record at Miami through the years. It can’t be pretty and all our pitchers spend the rest of the season regaining confidence and paring down inflated ERAs. At least this season we play FGCU only once.

Indiana, last year’s Big Ten champ, opens with a 3-game set at LSU in Baton Rouge, which makes some sense. Rutgers being a punching bag for Miami to start every season is a head scratcher. Would love to see our overall record at Miami through the years. It can’t be pretty and all our pitchers spend the rest of the season regaining confidence and paring down inflated ERAs. At least this season we play FGCU only once.

Did you click the link?

"RU and UM are set to open the season against each other for the 11th time in 12 seasons. Miami leads the all-time series, 66-14, dating back to 1967, having swept last year's series. Rutgers' previous victory came in the 2018 series finale, which featured overcoming a five-run deficit by scoring seven runs in the top of the fourth to win, 7-5."

I’m familiar with the series. It’s unnecessary to read the complete information in every thread. My sense of the imbalance of the results was correct. Rutgers needs to walk away from this annual thumping unless Miami makes a trip north to NJ once every three or four years. The Hurricanes would be a nice replacement for our early May 3-game series with Villanova.
Does Rutgers at least arrive a few days early for the Miami series to practice at the Miami facilities for 3 or 4 days of outdoor training before getting thumped?

Reactions: RUich
I have never understood the rationale for opening up against a traditional powerhouse. You should be trying to establish an atmosphere of positivity, not getting crushed!

I think we have covered this topic previously. When Fred Hill had things going here, he always played a solid non conference weekend away schedule early in the year. Yes sometimes the W-L record suffered but his teams were battle tested and ready for conference play as a result. While it might be better if this was not the first games of the year, we should not give this series up. I also think it has to help recruiting to say you are going to play some of the top teams in the nation particularly given the state of our facilities and our recent lack of success. I would not water down the non conference schedule for a few extra wins. Making the NCAA's will be mostly dependent on their conference performance. Regarding the conference, #11 Michigan beat #1 Vanderbilt last night in their opener.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT